OtakuBoards

GothicScreamo...Just screaming or art?

Nomurah!

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
That's where you're wrong. Screamo is what emo sounded like originally. As more bands [i]toned it down[/i], punters started calling the original sound screamo because it, well, had more screaming, and the new comers to the genre didn't like it. Screamo was kind of used in the same sense as nu metal, basically, even though the definition was wrong.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Ah well. I know more about the whole metalcore formation. Most of the screamo/emo stuff was pure observation and assumption.[/size]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=arial][size=1]Alan has more awesomosity than I knew. :D

Yeah, just to go further with it, Emo was started because there was a point where the New York hardcore punk scene was getting dull, they were also attracting the same fanbase as everyone else. Pure Emo (what's now called Screamo) was started in an attempt to branch out to audiences of both the hardcore scene and a bit of the emotional side to the indie rock scene that was also going on. The first bands that really well known that did this were Rites of Spring and Moss Icon.

Pretty much every band in the early 90's that screamed passionate lyrics were called emo until at some point the 'emo revolution,' as it were, stopped. Then some calmer bands started surfacing that were playing a mostly emo style but didn't scream. Kaddisfly is not one of these bands, but that's the closest [i]current[/i] band that I can think of that still has this sound, check them out.

Then, Saetia who is pretty much credited with bringing a pure emo sound back, got nailed with the tag of "screamotional hardcore" or screamo. People were so far removed from the original emo that the more indie-flavored emo is what they first thought of. Bands like Orchid and Usurp Synapse didn't quite fit in, so they all got nailed with the Nu-Metaly term of Screamo. Kinda sucks.[/font][/size]