OtakuBoards

RP concept... [comments and opinions welcome] [E]

Disenchanted

[SIZE=1]I?m just proposing a question; I was thinking about posting a RP in the Adventure Inn when the question was raised in my mind, will it last?

The answer to this question was, probably not. RP?s die around here quicker than flies, well what I?m proposing is a ?short? RP. For instance a role play that doesn?t go on for months and months, instead for example a RP that only goes for a few weeks or just one or two months, or perhaps even having an rp with a limited number of posts.

My question is can a RP be short while still maintaining overall quality?

I know there are a lot of factors to consider like who is in the rp, posting quality of those involved and what not but id like some feed back from fellow rpers out there.

Thanks for your time.[/SIZE]

Quality does depend more on the people playing than the length, I think, but yes, a short or limited post RP could work. I know how hard it is to keep one going; my first attempt at making one has withered (mostly my fault, though).

Maybe a light-hearted RP would work better than a deep, dark story for this. It seems like anything that falls under the action/adventure category seems to take longer, as does the mystery genre. I think basically the deeper the plot, the longer it takes. And if people start making sub-plots for their characters, it adds some length.

If you make a comedy--not necessarily pure comedy, but more wacky than serious--then the storyline could be short [I]and[/I] good. Just what I think.

[size=1]Interesting concept Illusion.

And I agree, RPGS of late are dying like flies.

I think it could be done. But you'd have to be careful about what plot you decide to follow. I suggest you have a plot that doesn't have many side-plots and unfinished tails.

I just had an idea. Maybe you could do this idea but with a longer storyline, except making it into episodes, spacing each episode maybe a few weeks apart - each episode having its own short plotline that eventually makes up the major plot line.

Erg.... that's probably doesn't make much sense. If you're interested in the idea, I'll try to explain it better next time.[/size]

[QUOTE=Kura][size=1]
And I agree, RPGS of late are dying like flies.
[/size][/QUOTE]

They always have been. I personally try to keep my own games up as long as possible, but there've been cases when I felt the game was going nowhere and I've put an end to it myself.

What comes to short RPGs, the most important thing in it imo is a [B]predetermined plot[/B], or at least preset beginning and end. Also a limited amount of players is quite a must, because it lessens the chance of the game derailing off the preset track.

I can't see much fun in that type of games, though, other than the point that you get to create a story arch (meaning what happened in between the beginning and the end).

If I search for examples, Blayze's "Stranded" was quite a short game, yet we played it to the end properly, without skipping important stuff. The game had a simple plot with one intriguing twist, and that was that. It was much fun, though.

I've actually attempted one or two of these and I did so by only allowing a few roleplayers in it. So while we only planned on it going so far, it was also with a limited number of people, so it wouldn't get out of hand and spread too far. Of course, even with the length, it still takes the right people to do it because the RPG died anyways from lack of interest, which is sad. I liked those ones too.

If you attempt one of these, I don't know about going by time (weeks, months) 'cause what if there's no posting for like, five days? Then you lost five days of posting and that's five days of the RPG you can't get back. But if you set by a number of posts, you may come near the end and end up rushing things 'til the quality is awful. There's not really an easy way to do it when you set it. I'd say just aim for it being short and end it when you feel the time has come.

[quote name='Kura][size=1']It's just that, lately, people don't seem have the time or the interest for a complicated or a long storyline. It seems that way anyhow.[/size][/quote][SIZE=1][COLOR=#333333]Yup, what can I say? People grow lazy. They get bored and move to the next "trend". That's why plot twists and having a great introduction can lure people in. You have to make sure to put in something interesting everytime you post that get's people thinking, otherwise they refuse to participate. To anwser the question, yes an RPG can be short, it's about the quality that matters to me. I prefer longer ones just because I feel like you'll get more out of it but it's really up to the person. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Thanks for the feed back guys, appreciate it.

I guess all thats left is to just post a story and see what happens.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by [B]Dare[/B]
If you're interested in the idea, I'll try to explain it better next time.[/QUOTE]

If you've got the spare time one day id love you to explain it too me in more detail Dare.

The Rp i hand in mind for something like this was going to be sci-fi based but I don't know if anyone?s interested in it [sci-fi] anymore, well interested in it enough to want to participate in an rp based around it.

But anyhow, thanks again for the comments guys. :)[/SIZE]