OtakuBoards

Rei(Eva) Paiting Critique

RX78

Im about 95% done this painting and need some input before i enter it into Otakons auction this August. Thank you!
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/pinkindian/rei2.jpg[/IMG]

Since it's watercolor, the black on the wall doesn't look too great. The black makes it look dirty. Try to use brown next time. Black in watercolor tends to do that to the picture. Everything else looks fina although maybe try to work on the fingers.

I agree with the dirtyness, but that my fault for taking the picture in bad lighting. Its actualy a burnt siena and i used oil paint with a lot of medium, which makes it look like watercolor. Thanks for the feedback!

Here is the final[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/pinkindian/rei0.jpg[/IMG]

For a moment there I was confusedby jigglyness' comment that you made it from watercolor, and it doesn't look like watercolor-- but turns out it isn't watercolor!

I think that Rei's face looks very convoluded, perhaps it's because her hair is big.

I like the vending machine in the picture. Looks realistic. Something about it just resting there on the side, I like.

EDIT: Please tell me a little more about this Otaku convention auctioning deal. I've never heard of something like this, and I'm interested.

[QUOTE=visualkei]For a moment there I was confusedby jigglyness' comment that you made it from watercolor, and it doesn't look like watercolor-- but turns out it isn't watercolor!

I think that Rei's face looks very convoluded, perhaps it's because her hair is big.

I like the vending machine in the picture. Looks realistic. Something about it just resting there on the side, I like.

EDIT: Please tell me a little more about this Otaku convention auctioning deal. I've never heard of something like this, and I'm interested.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback! Otakon is the largest anime convention on the east coast(25,000 attendence cap) and its located in Baltimore Maryland. Its August 4-6 this year and it will be held at the Baltimore Convention Center. One of the events is an artshow which consist of an auction that allows anyone over the age of 18 display art. The art is then aucioned off on Sunday, where you place the amount for the piece. This will be my first time doing it, so im looking forward to it.

the outfit makes Rei look rather... *ahem* shapeless ^^; Perhaps some slight editing so her bust was more obvious?

Also~ for more depth, try building up more paint? The paint on the walls looks very thin and streaky... those areas don't seem to have as much depth as other areas. The vending machine is handled very nicely though ^_^ as is Rei's face... her hair could use some work though (cause it's fuzzy around the edges, like a halo or something). Maybe dark blue instead of black outline on her hair would help as well?

[QUOTE=GTK]the outfit makes Rei look rather... *ahem* shapeless ^^; Perhaps some slight editing so her bust was more obvious?

Also~ for more depth, try building up more paint? The paint on the walls looks very thin and streaky... those areas don't seem to have as much depth as other areas. The vending machine is handled very nicely though ^_^ as is Rei's face... her hair could use some work though (cause it's fuzzy around the edges, like a halo or something). Maybe dark blue instead of black outline on her hair would help as well?[/QUOTE]

The idea that Rei is shapeless did bother me as well. I think i wanted to make her skinnier. I think the arm holding the bag is what blocks the other side of her waist, blending in to much. I have to decide if ill change that, given that i decided it was done.

Actually I kind of like the walls the way it is, and the top left corner has a little gleam to it. I also like her purse by the way. And Rei's shape, well, I think she looks fine flatchested, especially since she's supposed to be a 14 year old asian girl. :animeswea Hehe. Try not to make her look too much like a copy, I think that when you make your own art, you should make it look at least a little different than another person's. I paint as a hobby, too. =]. Whenever I want to paint a person, I always remind myself to not get fixated on making it look exactly like my eye's reality. Or when making a fanart to not copy the original artist. Try to show off your own style. :cool:

So does your art have to be approved before it's submitted to be auctioned? How big is it? And did you paint it like a pro with an easel, canvas and all? How much do you think it'll go for, or are you willing to sell it for what price/any price? ...Just wondering. =]

[QUOTE=visualkei]Actually I kind of like the walls the way it is, and the top left corner has a little gleam to it. I also like her purse by the way. And Rei's shape, well, I think she looks fine flatchested, especially since she's supposed to be a 14 year old asian girl. :animeswea Hehe. Try not to make her look too much like a copy, I think that when you make your own art, you should make it look at least a little different than another person's. I paint as a hobby, too. =]. Whenever I want to paint a person, I always remind myself to not get fixated on making it look exactly like my eye's reality. Or when making a fanart to not copy the original artist. Try to show off your own style. :cool:

So does your art have to be approved before it's submitted to be auctioned? How big is it? And did you paint it like a pro with an easel, canvas and all? How much do you think it'll go for, or are you willing to sell it for what price/any price? ...Just wondering. =][/QUOTE]

Style is important to me, so thats always relevant in my work. I believe any work is suitable for the auction, they even have a over 18 section that does not allow minors. The painting is i believe 24x17 on a canvas. Its funny because i usualy use a drafting type table that on a slant, but i decided to paint it on the floor of my room. Thats the way i started it and thats the way i finished it. :rolleyes: At first i wanted to sell it for about a hundred, but now im having doubts about it. So i will start the wage probably between 75 and 100. What do you think? :animesigh