Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Gaming Psx controller stuff


Guest Voodookanaka
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
I don't really care if it's pressure sensitive or anything, I'll just use my DualShock. I don't really see the difference in different types of rumbles..... But doesn't the PS2 controller come in the box with the system? :rolleyes:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by boris [/i]
[B]hey, i would by a ps2 controller. ps1 shocks dot have pressure senstive, and that could make the differance [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]The pressure sensitive nature of the PS2 controller is utter crap.

It makes no difference.

The buttons have no sensitivity...they are too "thin" and offer no resistance to make the pressure sensitive system worthwhile.

It kind of annoys me -- you can't have pressure sensitive buttons unless you add some sort of resistance. You try using the X button with different levels of pressure...granted, you might be able to eek out two levels of pressure (on/off lol), but that's about all.

There is no discernable difference between the PS1/PS2 controllers.[/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[size=1]The pressure sensitive nature of the PS2 controller is utter crap.

It makes no difference.

The buttons have no sensitivity...they are too "thin" and offer no resistance to make the pressure sensitive system worthwhile.

It kind of annoys me -- you can't have pressure sensitive buttons unless you add some sort of resistance. You try using the X button with different levels of pressure...granted, you might be able to eek out two levels of pressure (on/off lol), but that's about all.

There is no discernable difference between the PS1/PS2 controllers.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

very true that, I really do think that sony should have spent more time on the ps2 controller rather than just make it a black ps1 dual shock with ps2 dual shock printed on the side, I don't hate the ps2 controller, I think its ok, but I was rather disappointed when I actually finally got to use it and found all this pressure nonsense was absolute cow poop
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shibatku [/i]
[B]I know why didn't they make ps2 controllers at least diffrent shape I thinks thats stupid judt to make a ps1 controller black and put ps2 on it but they can do whatever they want as long as it works. [/B][/QUOTE]


Actually, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." I applaud Sony for keeping the general controller design intact. By keeping the design familiar, the Playstation 2 is user friendly to consumers. Furthermore, out of all three next gen consoles, most agree that PS has the best controller. Better yet, since the PSX controllers are compatible with PS2, consumers aren't forced to by totally new ones. The only thing wrong with it, as previously mentioned in this thread, is the lack of levels of sensitivity.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]


Actually, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." I applaud Sony for keeping the general controller design intact. By keeping the design familiar, the Playstation 2 is user friendly to consumers. Furthermore, out of all three next gen consoles, most agree that PS has the best controller. Better yet, since the PSX controllers are compatible with PS2, consumers aren't forced to by totally new ones. The only thing wrong with it, as previously mentioned in this thread, is the lack of levels of sensitivity. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I disagree completely on that point.

While I do agree that keeping a level of familiarity is a good thing -- there is no question that the GameCube's controller is the most ergonomic/innovative of the next generation group of consoles.

Having said that, I own a PlayStation 2, and I do find it's controller acceptable. Only thing is, the shape of the controller is quite unnatural, in the sense that the curves are very sharp. It's uncomfortable for very long periods of play, but moreover, (apart from the sensitivity problem), the controller displays no forward thinking or innovation.

At the very least, I would have liked it if Sony had made the following changes:

- If adding analog (at least to shoulder buttons), at least make them nice and thick...with plenty of degrees of movement.

- Adding grooves to the walls of the analog sticks -- The GameCube controller has this feature and it works amazingly well. It's particularly good for games where precise movements are necessary.

Other than that, I wouldn't really fault the PS2 controller (although the D-Pad could be made more comfortable). I just think that it's a shame that Sony didn't take the chance to fix some of the PSOne controller's flaws early on -- no major change was needed, but a slight shape change and some mechanical tweaks would have been nice.[/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[size=1]

Other than that, I wouldn't really fault the PS2 controller (although the D-Pad could be made more comfortable)[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I completely agree, try using a d-pad whils't playing street fighter and try pulling off a dragonpunch, or 360 degree spins, almost impossible, the moves on the dreamcasts dpad are much easier to pull off
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well yeah, of course they could have added analog shoulder buttons and such, but the overall design works great. The GameCube controller is quite comfortable, but it's layout has proved unnatural in various games. For instance, some have found fault in using the C-stick for D-linemen's special moves in Madden 2002. Also, the big gas button in Extreme G3 makes it a bit harder to use the other face buttons. Even Tony Hawk 3 had it's minor problems, such as a tricky revert.

In all fairness, these are minor gripes and some actually like the trickier revert in THPS3. However, the PS2 controller seems to work wonderfully with almost anything. 2D fighters are it's biggest problem, but we're finding less of those nowadays.

Ah well..I miss the Saturn controller......
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Well yeah, of course they could have added analog shoulder buttons and such, but the overall design works great. The GameCube controller is quite comfortable, but it's layout has proved unnatural in various games. For instance, some have found fault in using the C-stick for D-linemen's special moves in Madden 2002. Also, the big gas button in Extreme G3 makes it a bit harder to use the other face buttons. Even Tony Hawk 3 had it's minor problems, such as a tricky revert.

In all fairness, these are minor gripes and some actually like the trickier revert in THPS3. However, the PS2 controller seems to work wonderfully with almost anything. 2D fighters are it's biggest problem, but we're finding less of those nowadays.

Ah well..I miss the Saturn controller...... [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I agree with you.

The reason the PS2 controller seems to work with anything is because of its highly generic design.

In terms of GameCube games, I personally feel that some developers haven't yet taken advantage of the controller's design. Too many companies are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole -- in the sense that they're mapping functions to the GCN controller in a fairly arbitrary way.

So I wouldn't fault the controller for that -- I'd fault the developers. When a game is designed around a controller (Star Wars, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin etc), you can really see how the controller is supposed to be used.

Some third parties have made good use of the GCN controller, but I'd like to see some more inventive ideas from certain developers.[/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You think street fighter would be difficult to play on PS2? Heh what about on a gamecube? Sure the grooves are nice, but that doesn't matter when the buttons suck. Not only are the A, B, x/y, L/R, and Z buttons different sizes, they're arranged in a freaking circle. Sure that might be fine for sports, racing, platformers.....well pretty much every genre except fighting (except smash bros. or some other mutli-player type game that nintendo passes off as a fighter). Nintendo 64 had very few fighting games (that weren't utter crap), and I doubt gamecube will ever see a marvel vs. capcom2, or king of fighters, or tekken for that matter. Just because something is "innovative" doesn't mean it's one of those non-pieces-of-crap things you know. Jaguar's controller was innovative, wow look a number pad!. Anyway back to PS2, although the pressure sensitivity of pS2 is....well barely there, it's not like every game uses it but because of the controller u're screwed. As for street fighter's, I dunno I've gotten used to the d-pad and it works just fine.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SephirothNIN [/i]
[B]You think street fighter would be difficult to play on PS2? Heh what about on a gamecube? Sure the grooves are nice, but that doesn't matter when the buttons suck. Not only are the A, B, x/y, L/R, and Z buttons different sizes, they're arranged in a freaking circle. Sure that might be fine for sports, racing, platformers.....well pretty much every genre except fighting (except smash bros. or some other mutli-player type game that nintendo passes off as a fighter). Nintendo 64 had very few fighting games (that weren't utter crap), and I doubt gamecube will ever see a marvel vs. capcom2, or king of fighters, or tekken for that matter. Just because something is "innovative" doesn't mean it's one of those non-pieces-of-crap things you know. Jaguar's controller was innovative, wow look a number pad!. Anyway back to PS2, although the pressure sensitivity of pS2 is....well barely there, it's not like every game uses it but because of the controller u're screwed. As for street fighter's, I dunno I've gotten used to the d-pad and it works just fine. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Where to start, where to start...

Firstly, the buttons on the GameCube controller don't suck. They are shaped differently so that the player never has to look down -- it's easy to feel your way around. Try it and you'll see.

Second, they are shaped in such a way that the A Button is the thumb's "home" position, with the surrounding buttons easily reachable via a simple up, left or right movement. This is significantly more user-friendly and comfortable than the PS2 controller (especially for people who don't play games often).

Third, you're totally wrong about Marvel vs Capcom etc. I recall a news item last year whereby Capcom announced that it would be bringing [b]"all our franchises to the Nintendo GameCube console"[/b]. I kid you not -- these were Capcom's words.

With Resident Evil already exclusive to GameCube, I think it's fair to say that we'll soon see some Capcom fighters. There's also Soul Calibur 2, which is arguably the more critically acclaimed fighter (moreso than Tekken).

So your arguments basically fall flat on their face. You have no significant points here -- it's fine to have a preference of controller, but please don't bash something when your arguments are flawed or when you don't truly understand the situation.

[/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]while i dont exaclty the PS2 controler i dont think the controler really matters for an RPG which is all i plan to get for the PS2 once i get one (if the price ever drops dangit). but on the game cube james is right... the only thing i have a problem with is the Z button on games that were from the 64... i tend to try and use the back of the controler lol... but after about 3 seconds i realize it without thinking and set it up properly... but i mean i remember the PSX controlers and my hands hurt after a while with the normal controlers. And the PS2 is very similar to it and my brother complains about how his hands hurt after a while. While when playing the GCN for about 10 hours a day my hands dont get tried or feel it is heavy or whatnot... it is DEFINATLY the better controler IMO and more than just capcom have wanted to go exclusively nintendo or "more" nintendo than they are currently...

btw.... u dont argue with james on the boards... he never loses ;) even if he is wrong[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]

btw.... u dont argue with james on the boards... he never loses ;) even if he is wrong[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]lol, I know you're being sarcastic...but I'm always prepared to admit if I'm wrong.

But you yourself agreed with me...so I was right, wasn't I? :)

Maybe I just seem to be always right because when I'm disagreeing with something, I'm often disagreeing with something stupid. lol[/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[size=1]lol, I know you're being sarcastic...but I'm always prepared to admit if I'm wrong.

But you yourself agreed with me...so I was right, wasn't I? :)

Maybe I just seem to be always right because when I'm disagreeing with something, I'm often disagreeing with something stupid. lol[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey now James, you're [B][U]often[/U][/B] disagreeing with me and my arguments are usually valid. Well, except for that water issue, which I'd rather choose to forget.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]

Hey now James, you're [B][U]often[/U][/B] disagreeing with me and my arguments are usually valid. Well, except for that water issue, which I'd rather choose to forget. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Well, you're often wrong. lol

Nah, only kidding. :)

I guess it depends on a case by case basis. Sometimes if I disagree with you, I'm only disagreeing with a certain point -- I often agree with what you say as well.

It really depends on the issue I guess.[/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...