OtakuBoards

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Tavern

Dragon Warrior

[quote name='Dragon Warrior]Hah. Best line in the whole movie! [spoiler]"It's the Bible. You get credit for tryin'."[/spoiler'] That's the old pirate wit I love and miss. I think I'll go see the movie for the hundredth time again :)[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=DarkRed][CENTER]Yes, I agree. That was the funniest line in the movie. I can't wait to see it again. :catgirl: [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Linkk']I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg i cant wait for number 3 to come out. It's so good!!!!!!!! but elizabeth is so annyoning!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!1[/quote]

I actually rather like Elizabeth... [spoiler]She sort of like a tough chick, but still really girly. She threatens to shoot a man, runs all over the place looking for Will, but then she pretends to faint in an attempt to get attention XD;; [/spoiler]

I want to see the movie again T_T but I can't get anyone to go with me *cries*

The story was horrible, it was just so obvious that it was thrown together because the second and third were shot together.

Jack Sparrow is probably one of the few reasons to go see this movie, and even then his eccentric charm wears thin as he tries to do what he can with the script.

Keira did terrible whenever she had to carry a scene and she was just overall a letdown.
Her character was inconsistent if you compare the two movies.

The childrens books were cool, i just wish they had left it alone and just made one movie and let it end with style. Hopefully the third will be better.

[QUOTE=vegeta rocker]
Keira did terrible whenever she had to carry a scene and she was just overall a letdown.
Her character was inconsistent if you compare the two movies.[/QUOTE]
But what specifically didn't you like about her performance?

One of the things I particularly enjoyed about DMC was how the script followed up on the aspects of Elizabeth's character that were only touched on briefly and comedically in the first movie (i.e. the infamous rum scene). So I don't see the inconsistency there. If anything, they spoon-fed it to the viewer a little too heavily: "Hay guyz, WILL taught me SWORD FIGHTING," etc.

~Dagger~

I agree with Dagger. Though many believe Keira was lacking this time around, I still think her character held strong. She was just more adventurous rather than being the one pulled around by all the villains. This time she wasn't the one captured, Will was. The only part I didn't like much was [spoiler]her yelling at the three as they swordfought. That seemed a bit forced like she had to do something while Ragetti and Pintel stole the treasure.[/spoiler]

I have a theory. [Spoiler] I am pretty sure Davy Jones and Tia Dalma (AKA Voodoo Lady) have some sort of past, because I went back to see the movie the second tiime, and I noticed something. The first time that the crew is at Tia Dalma's house, there is a locket on her desk. That locket looks exactly like the crest on the organ that Davy Jones was playing, and also the lock on the Man's Chest, except the face is replaced by a keyhole. [/Spoiler]

Just thought you should know.

But remember, DW, that after she noticed, [spoiler]she started to open up a can of whoop-***, and she definitely rocked house during most of that chase sequence that followed.[/spoiler]

So if anything, she was...more of a man? than Jack or Will, especially during that scene. She was a man; the men were boys. ^_^

Hah, don't worry, Papa Smurf, I was agreeing earlier. I thought Elizabeth was good this time too, I just didn't like [spoiler]the scene where she was complaining at the three as they played with their swords. Hah, it seems forced, as I said before.[/spoiler]

And to DaSilva, I considered that theory before too. [spoiler]She talked as if she was the one that broke Davy's heart or something. Even for a voodoo lady, Dalma sure knew a lot about Davy Jones' heart. But I never thought to match the locket with the music box of Davy's. Good eyes ;) And am I the only one who thinks the ring Jack stole from Dalma is going to be important later?[/spoiler]

Yeah, but even in that part, I don't think it felt forced much at all. Seemed like [spoiler]yelling at them for behaving like children[/spoiler] is what anyone would do. I know I would, because [spoiler]falling all over themselves and the beach in a triple swordfight[/spoiler], especially considering what they needed to be doing, was juvenile. She became the angry mother. heh

Then when she noticed what [spoiler]Ragetti and Pintel[/spoiler] were up to, she brought the heat herself. And how hot was that, too? :-D

Hah, yes, how "hot" it was ;) What's amusing is Keira is only a few years older than me and I'm nineteen. All her old friends from school and such must be particularly jealous of her for getting to kiss Orlando and [spoiler]Depp in this movie.[/spoiler] Hah, I know girls at my school would be and I doubt it's different in England ;)

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I've got a theory on how [spoiler][FONT=Tahoma]Barbossa is still alive[/FONT][/spoiler]. Here me out...

[spoiler][FONT=Tahoma]At the end of PotC 1, Monkey Jack stole a piece of aztec gold from the chest, right? And that made him Undead. Now what if Monkey Jack also took a gold piece and gave it to Barbossa while he was still dying? This would make Barbossa undead again and cause the bullet wound to not do anything.

The only problem with this theory is (DW came up with this when I told him) that if Monkey Jack [i]did[/i] give Barbossa a coin, why would Monkey Jack then go with Captain Sparrow's crew and not stay with Barbossa?

Even so, I still think the theory is probable[/FONT].[/spoiler] What do you think?[/FONT][/COLOR]

As we discussed in the AIM chat, I don't think it seems right since [spoiler]Monkey Jack was playing with Barbossa's limp body in Tia's house. Like I said, I don't think he'd just be lying around if he were alive. Hah. But who knows? Your theory could be accurate. I just think, since Tia Dalma said that they need a captain to sail their ship who knows those waters (the waters at the end of the world) and she was referring to Barbossa that he has already been there and/or has been revived due to a journey there.[/spoiler]

I'm more with DW on that one, because [spoiler]Tia seemed to have knowledge of everything throughout the film, and if the monkey were to have revived Barbossa with a gold piece, I don't think Tia would have seemed such in control.

Sure, I guess someone could say that Tia was aware of the monkey, and controlling him or whatever, but I don't think there's anything in the movie to suggest that.

The monkey, like Lee Harvey Oswald, was acting on his own, for himself.

I think it's fairly clear in the movie that Tia had a direct role in reviving Barbossa.[/spoiler]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, I guess so. Anyway I saw the movie for the second time recently and discovered a few things. Things you may want to read.

[spoiler][FONT=Tahoma]First of all, DaSilva's theory on Tia's locket matching the lock on the chest? Approved. In fact, in the scene where Davy Jones is playing the organ, the camera cuts to a locket sitting on the top of it. Yes, it's identical to Tia's locket.

Second thing, since I was seeing the movie with my friend this time (who has seen it before aswell) we decided to stay until the movie was over completely to see if there was anything after the credits[/FONT].[/spoiler] There is.

I'm not going to tell you what it is. [spoiler][FONT=Tahoma]And it's not important. But it is quite funny (even though it's rather short)[/FONT].[/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR]

[spoiler] [i]I don't think it seems right since Monkey Jack was playing with Barbossa's limp body in Tia's house[/i] [/spoiler]

*blinks* He was?!!? I missed that, damn! Oh well...will look out for it second time around.

On my note, I really really enjoyed this movie - just about deserving of all the hype ;) Ragetti's line about the Bible really tickled me XD And I loved the wheel randomly going past, especially through the trees. Btw, [spoiler]whoever came up with the Jack+Fruit kebab idea is a genius![/spoiler] :animesmil [spoiler]Bootstrap's makeup was especially well done I think....though did anyone else notice the slight resemblance between him and Grima from LOTR?[/spoiler]

Oh yeah. [font=Verdana][color=blue][spoiler][/color][/font][color=white][color=black]And hooray for cannibals having knives and forks X[/color][font=Verdana][color=blue][/spoiler][/color][/font]D[/color]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]By using the [*spoiler]...[/spoiler] tags (just remember to remove the *).[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

EDIT: Thanks to Petie, White and Dragon Warrior for helping me out with the spoiler tags. :)

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]It was? Oh, I didn't see that, DW. :p

Forest, click [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#spoiler]here[/url] to learn how to use spoiler tags (the 'black highlight').

Did anyone else notice that Elizabeth was about [spoiler][FONT=Tahoma]five times funnier in this movie than she was in the first?[/FONT][/spoiler] The whole [spoiler][FONT=Tahoma]Ghost Virgin Bride of the Boat thing was hillarious[/FONT][/spoiler].[/FONT] [/COLOR]

Elizabeth did have some good gags, but it seems most of them are when she interacts with other humorous characters, such as Jack. Mainly it's when [spoiler]she's tricking him or something of the sort. Especially in the end. That wasn't really funny, but she did one-up him, even if I still think she felt something.[/spoiler]

I finally watched the [spoiler]monkey part where he steals the gold at the end of the first movie.[/spoiler] I can't believe I never thought of watching after the credits...

[size=1]Having had to see the film for a third time lol, I came rushing (well not really, it's taken me nearly 2 days) in here to tell you guys of my find:
[spoiler]that Tia Dalma has a locket the same as Davy Jones'. I noticed it on the table when Jack was pinching jewels and rings off her lol. The camera spends an awful amount of time focused on the table after Jack picks up the jewel/ring/whatever, so yeah.[/spoiler] Kinda easy to notice cool little things when you dont have to focus on the story lol. But um yeah, I was beaten to it ;p

However I was thinking.. [spoiler][b]maybe there are parallels to be drawn between Davy Jones/Tia Dalma(?) and Jack/Elizabeth.[/b] The whole thing about Jones falling in love with a woman wild as the sea. Doesnt Elizabeth seem to slowly get more and more drastic in her actions to get what she wants? From holding that guy at gunpoint, to manipulating a whole crew, to saving her own skin by sacrificing Jack. Wild! ;p
And it's quite obvious Jack's fallen for Elizabeth: the compass points to her as well as the dead man's chest before they dig it out; the compass leads him back to the Black Pearl when he's trying to run away; and he doesnt say a word when Elizabeth cuffs him to the ship.[/spoiler]

--
You may all love me now, yo.[/size]

[size=1]Haha. All those points have been stated already, Ajeh XD But we'll love you anyways. [spoiler]Though I don't think anyone mentioned Davy/Tia and Jack/Elizabeth being parallel. I don't think they're intending anything, but if it works out that way, it's kind of nice. And you're right, you do notice cool things when you don't need to listen to the story. I was watching for things I didn't catch the first two times as well when I went to see it for my third.[/spoiler][/size]

[quote name='Forest][spoiler']Bootstrap's makeup was especially well done I think....though did anyone else notice the slight resemblance between him and Grima from LOTR?[/spoiler][/quote] Yeah, I thought they were played by the same guy until I checked it on imdb. The similarity [i]is[/i] peculiar, though.

And as for the problems that would come if Tia were able to revive whoever she wanted? Well, I'd be willing to bet that the revival is only temporary, making it much less lucrative and notably a pretty common element in stories that involve people returning from the dead. If it isn't temporary (and she does actually have the power to return people from the dead), then that'd take a hell of a lot of tension out of the third movie.

[QUOTE=John]Yeah, I thought they were played by the same guy until I checked it on imdb. The similarity [i]is[/i] peculiar, though.

And as for the problems that would come if Tia were able to revive whoever she wanted? Well, I'd be willing to bet that the revival is only temporary, making it much less lucrative and notably a pretty common element in stories that involve people returning from the dead. If it isn't temporary (and she does actually have the power to return people from the dead), then that'd take a hell of a lot of tension out of the third movie.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm saying there's probably a catch to her [spoiler]reviving folks. Otherwise Barbossa came back way too easily and could always come back, whether he turns evil in the last one or not.[/spoiler]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
[size=1]There's already a thread dedicated to the [b]Pirates of the Caribbean[/b] series (which the mod will probably move this to), but to answer the question, yes, you should. You'll be kind of lost if you don't. It's like entering most any other trilogy like [b]Lord of the Rings[/b] or [b]The Matrix.[/b] Watch them in order and it'll be better. In fact, I'd say seeing them both in a row would be a better experience than seeing the first one when it first came out and then having to wait for the second like I did.

So watch the first, then enjoy the second :)[/size]

[b]BIG FAT EDIT:[/b] [size=1]Okay, girls and boys, I'd say it's about time to start discussing the new one. I mean, look!--she's about on the horizon. [b]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End[/b] releases May 25th, as I'm sure you all know. I probably should've resurrected this thread long back when the trailer for it premiered--or even earlier! But what matters is it's here now.

Now I don't know about you guys, but just like for [i]Dead Man's Chest[/i], I'm going to the first showing on the 25th, midnight, and I'll be first in line. For [i]Dead Man's Chest[/i], I was two hours early to guarantee my spot. This one will be no exception, I'm sure, and there will be people with the same idea as me. Sometimes it's kind of nice to live in small hick towns like I do. You don't have to beat such a huge rush like you would in L.A. or New York, camping out on the sidewalk for a week straight.

But what say you guys? Hitting the first showing?[/size]