OtakuBoards

Comic Book Collecting

cancer

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I have looked and found no other thread similar to this, so I hope it's okay to put one here. I collect American comics such as Soulfire and All Star Batman and Robin. I also subscribe to Wizard magazine, which has lots of great news and information for collectors. My favorite comic writer is definitely Frank Miller. My favorite artists would have to be Jim Lee and Michael Turner. Their work is stunning in my opinion. One drawback of comic collecting is that it is quite expensive -_- Does anyone else collect comics? If so, what do you collect, and who are your favorite artists/writers? Please don't discuss manga here, as it should be discussed in Manga Workshop. Thanks. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I try, but fail at collecting comics due to a big lack of fundings. My current collection is a few old X-Men's and what not that I attained from my uncle and friends as gifts. I have a few graphic novels, like I'm trying to collect as many [b]"John Constantine: Hellblazer"[/b] GN's that I can. So far I have [b]"Original Sins"[/b] and [b]"Rare Cuts"[/b]. I want to get the [b]"Sandman"[/b] collection by Neil Gaiman. I've read the first two novels thus far and want to get the rest. I really want to get my hands on a copy of [b]"The Watchman"[/b] which has proven difficult. Heh. Regardless, it would seem my favorite comic writers thus far are British.

Other than that, I'm trying to also get the collection of [b]"Ultimate X-Men"[/b] and [b]"Usagi Yojimbo"[/b].

So far, however, I the longest running series of graphic novels I have are [b]"Naruto"[/b] 1-8. Heh. The thing is, I actually like Western comics more than manga.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]Woah, lemme see now.

All Star Batman & Robin
Batman
Birds of Prey
Elseworlds
JLA
JSA
JSA: Classified
Moon Knight
Nightwing
Secret Six
Shadowpact
Supergirl
Superman
Superman/Batman
Wonder Woman

Plus whatever takes my fancy whenever I'm picking up my standing order. Multiple graphic novels TPB and HC. I love Wizard, its funny and informative lol.
My favourites out of those above are probably Wonder Woman and Birds of Prey, though I am getting into Secret six and Shadowpact after the drama of Infinite Crisis.[/SIZE]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]So you like DC then?

Also, am I the only person who thought the House of M and Decimation storylines were full of shit, in mainline X-Men? [spoiler]Effectively removing all the mutants powers[/spoiler] seems to just not be in the nature of the X-Men storyline. In my opinion, it changes them from a repressed growing minority to a just a slightly more populated hero group, which isn't really the point of the X-Men line. It's no wonder it's all being undone.[/font][/size][/color]

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]So you like DC then?
[/font][/size][/color][/QUOTE]

Yup. I much prefer DC to Marvel, though I do pick up a few issues here and there (bought civil war 1 and 2 today par example). It just doesn't do it for me.

The argument for Marvel is that its more down to earth, gritty and shades of grey. While shades of grey are good in moderation I have to argue. I don't want to be able to relate to my superheroes, I want my heroes to be...well, heroic, determined and idealistic, if I wanted gritty and worldly I'd watch the news. Also I often find Marvel a little hard to follow, what with all the different titles floating around e.g X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, New X-Men etc

I don't really get many other publishers though I do like Top Cow now and again 'cause of The Darkness and Magdelena.

Elseworlds comics in DC are like my side-quest. I search ebay and go to comic markets to find them, I have a pretty good collection of elseworlds going now ^_~.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]It sounds like you all don't read Soulfire then? You should be ashamed! Michael Turner's Soulfire has amazing artwork, and a great storyline. It keeps you wanting more, and it's got plenty of action and character development. All Star Batman and Robin is also really good, and I'm thinking that's only because Frank Miller is writing it right now. If they ever replace him on it, I'd probably stop reading it. So do you all buy your comics at comic shops or online? I buy online at [URL=http://www.mycomicshop.com/]My Comic Shop[/URL]. It's got everything you need, though the bags and boxes are a bit expensive. If you're into comic art you should check out [URL=http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/]Comic Art Community[/URL]. Those are definitely great sites, so check them out. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Doukeshi][SIZE=1]

Yup. I much prefer DC to Marvel, though I do pick up a few issues here and there (bought civil war 1 and 2 today par example). It just doesn't do it for me.

The argument for Marvel is that its more down to earth, gritty and shades of grey. While shades of grey are good in moderation I have to argue. I don't want to be able to relate to my superheroes, I want my heroes to be...well, heroic, determined and idealistic, if I wanted gritty and worldly I'd watch the news. Also I often find Marvel a little hard to follow, what with all the different titles floating around e.g X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, New X-Men etc

I don't really get many other publishers though I do like Top Cow now and again 'cause of The Darkness and Magdelena.

Elseworlds comics in DC are like my side-quest. I search ebay and go to comic markets to find them, I have a pretty good collection of elseworlds going now ^_~.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[font=arial][color=indigo][size=1]Conversely, I don't usually like DC for just those reasons. Funny how these things happen.[/size][/color][/font]

[SIZE=1]I buy my current comics at stores, namely Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man. I have two standing orders there so I never miss the ones I love ^_~. I get my back issues either from ebay, other websites or from markets.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Heh I must admit compared to most other people here I feel like a bit of a comic collecting newbie. At the moment I've been buying Dark Horse's Star Wars Legacy comic series, two so far, as they're only released recently. Being a massive Star Wars junkie, I must admit I'm rather taken with the series, which surprises me as originally I thought the idea behind the series was quite rubbish. However having read the first and second issues, as well as the most recent Star Wars novels, I must admit I think Dark Horse actually have the better storyline. [/SIZE]