Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Lady in the Water


Recommended Posts

Guest wolf37841
Posted
who here wants 2 see lady in the water it is supposed 2 be really scary
m. night shamalahn is a genius if u have any info please replie
Posted
[color=#b0000b][size=1]I don't recall what before which movie I saw the first Lady in the Water preview, but I was watching it with my friend Dave.

The first part of the trailer focused on the man (the caretaker?) and the kind of quiet, sad life he seemed to have. Then you saw flashes of the mermaid in the pool, and at the end you saw the director's name. My friend voiced my thoughts: "That movie just went from being interesting, to dumb, to really interesting again."[/size][/color]
Posted
I think it looks pretty good. Apparently it's based off a bedtime story he wrote for his kids, so that adds to the interest some for me (it also makes me hope his kids have good therapists).
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange]It looks pretty good to me. I liked The Sixth Sense and Signs, but hated The Village, so hopefully he goes back to the earlier writing.

That being said, it is being billed as his "first movie without a plot twist" which automatically makes me suspicious. M. Night without a plot twist? That's like oreos without the chocolate...[/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE=Ozymandius Jones][COLOR=DarkOrange]It looks pretty good to me. I liked The Sixth Sense and Signs, but hated The Village, so hopefully he goes back to the earlier writing.

That being said, it is being billed as his "first movie without a plot twist" which automatically makes me suspicious. M. Night without a plot twist? That's like oreos without the chocolate...[/COLOR][/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna]

It's probably just a ruse so people don't expect anything, and then, BAM! Turns out it's a dude.

It looks pretty good to me. Gamatti is an actor I've always really liked, the story sounds pretty interesting. I like how Shymalan always keeps the monster-effect to a minimum, always keeping them in the dark and giving you just a little glimps - that way, the movie is more than just eye candy.

I hate the Village, so I hope this is better.[/COLOR]
Posted
[quote name='Ozymandius Jones][color=DarkOrange']That being said, it is being billed as his "first movie without a plot twist" which automatically makes me suspicious. M. Night without a plot twist? That's like oreos without the chocolate...[/color][/quote] Unbreakable and Signs really didn't have plot twists either, though. The unusual revelations in both movies were things that had been suggested and built up to throughout the whole stories. It was just a matter of trying to guess whether they were true or not.
Posted
[FONT=Arial]I think I actually want to see it. The commercials scare me late at night, but my friends and I have this inside joke where the Lady in the Water trailer comes on right before an Oxy Clean Commercial (whispering to screaming...this phenomenon has yet to happen, though). It seems like it could be a movie similar to The Shining (which I thought was hilarious) in that there won't be much, if any gore.

I don't really like swimming pools, anyway. =/[/FONT]
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I just got back from seeing this not even twenty minutes ago.

My opinion? If you're looking for something like Signs or the Sixth Sense, don't go looking for it, you won't find it. If you're going for an uber-deep plotline, something that will leave you thinking for hours and hours, don't go looking for it, it's not really there.

If, however, you want an excellent, straight-forward story with loveable characters and a fantastically fun plot, you'll most likely find it. I enjoyed this movie very much: Cleveland Heap is a teddy bear, and I loved him to bits. The part where he's [spoiler]essentially talking to his dead wife and kids[/spoiler] made me a bit teary-eyed, but then I'm a sap.

I also really liked Bryce as Story - I though she did a much better performance than she did as Ivy - she had an ethereal feel that was just perfect for the movie.

And I want a pet scrunt. Preferably non-bloodthirsty, though.[/COLOR]
Posted
[size=1]I thought the ending could have been done [b]much[/b] better. It just left you hanging a bit. Like, what happened to the world? To Story?

A few things I did like though: [spoiler]How the film critic described the twist just seconds before he died. Haha, classic moment--then he dies. XD

I also liked the fact that.. erm, I forget his name at the moment, (it's the guy with one muscular side and a wimpy side) that he was the Guardian. I liked him, he was funny. =][/spoiler]

The ending though... blehh, it left you guessing too much. Anyone feel the same who's already seen it?[/size]
Posted
[QUOTE=Lan][size=1]I thought the ending could have been done [b]much[/b] better. It just left you hanging a bit. Like, what happened to the world? To Story?

The ending though... blehh, it left you guessing too much. Anyone feel the same who's already seen it?[/size][/QUOTE][size=1][color=#b0000b]Absolutely not. The ending was perfect--any more explanation would have been cheesy and unnecessary. You already know a lot of what happens [spoiler]to at least part of the world[/spoiler], and you know that everyone [spoiler]who needed something more in life, who was searching for something to believe in[/spoiler], found it.

It's a fairy tale--they [i]tell[/i] you what is going to happen when they speak about what happens in the bedtime story. [spoiler]Story goes back to the Blue World, is welcomed and celebrated. Life goes on in the Blue World, and in ours.[/spoiler]

I [i]adored[/i] this movie.[/color][/size]
Posted
It was a great movie, but I really wish they'd have ended it with a little more focus on the [spoiler]human characters, since we know full well what happens to Story and the Blue World, where the focus of the movie never was anyway. We may still know how this affects the humans, but it'd certainly have been nice to see it on their faces a little more. I'd especially have liked for it to have focused a little more on Herb and his sister.[/spoiler]

And Story was just adorable. There were so many moments with her that just made me go "...Aww :)"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...