OtakuBoards

Opinionate me this! [E]

Mimmsicle

[B]Opinionater:[/B] Katana

[B]Subject:[/B] "Humour"

[B]Question:[/B] In your opinion, is there something (a situation, a specific occurance) that is never funny [no matter what]?

Katana - [size=1][color=royalblue][I]It's difficult to find situations are not funny, no matter what the circumstances. However, I think that one most people become sour on when people joke about it is death. 'Death', in this case, is applied to that of losing a family member or
someone close to you, or even just the death of a person you don't know.

I personally find it incredibly annoying when people mock the events of 9/11, and of all the people that died. Not just the World Trade Centers, but at the Pentagon and in that field in Pennsylvania. Thousands of people died - how can you laugh about it?

What about Steve Irwin? He was an icon, a hero, to so many people. When he died, there were some who found it ironic that he died by a manta ray instead of a crocidile, but then there were others who found it [i]hilariously[/i] ironic that he died by a manta ray instead of a croc.
But in that case, what about the "Crikey!" commemorations going around? Is that laughing at him? No. It's a fond rememberance of him, of his life, and of how he lived.

Of course you can joke about the death of someone, even someone close to you. I know I've done it...but in a very bitter tone, in hopes of (verbally) stabbing the people who think it funny to lose a loved one.

In the end, joking about death just means that somebody is going to be hurt. Even if you didn't 'mean it that way', it's just better to keep your mouth shut, and keep your thoughts to yourself.[/I][/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I agree with Katana that death is certainly something that souldn't be joked about, but I'll be damned if a funny death joke and not laugh. I truly disgust myself.

Personally, I don't think any kind of injury or pain or such should be laughed at. It's making light of someone's situation. It may be one thing if they themselves joke about it, but unless your close it shouldn't be done.

For instance, anyone who doesn't know Steve Irwin or idolize him should not be making jokes about him, because it dishoners him and the ones who are in mourning for him.

I feel bad even making racist jokes with anyone not of theat race. It just isn't right. But as I stated at the beginning, I DO make myself sick. (not that that makes it any better)[/COLOR]

The golden rule of humor (in my opinion, at least) is that you shouldn't laugh at somebody, but with them.

I have a tendency of making fun of myself, but I'm also known for kind of dark, twisted sense of humor. I can laugh at things people usually feel awkward laughing at. Hmm, I wonder if I should consider going into stand up performing...? ;P

People, feel free to find me horribly irreverent, but...

My friend's cousin recently died, and he was someone she had only met maybe once at a family reunion or something, but she said she felt almost sadder than if a close family member had died because she lost out on knowing him. She is going to be in Florida this week for the funeral.

The thing is, her family in Florida said that while my friend was there, they would take her and her parents to Sea World. A comment was made about how the funeral should take place [i]at[/i] Sea World with the whales and everything. She and I both started laughing. It's not really funny, but it was to us for some reason.

I suppose it's terrible to find humor in this, but I believe that you can, to a certain extent, find some humor in every situation, and that laughter helps you cope with the pain. I do believe I heard a comedian once say that all comedy comes from pain, or something to that effect. When you think about it, most comedy does.

[QUOTE=silver_blade]
The thing is, her family in Florida said that while my friend was there, they would take her and her parents to Sea World. A comment was made about how the funeral should take place [i]at[/i] Sea World with the whales and everything. She and I both started laughing. It's not really funny, but it was to us for some reason.
[/QUOTE]

See, but it [I]is[/I] funny! This is just the gentle type of humor you should have in times of crisis. You're not mocking anybody ("Haha, they're having a funeral at Sea World! Jerks!"), but you're seeing the irony of it. It will help your friend recover from her loss, I bet you.

Perceiving irony is a gift that should be cherished. Not everybody can do it. ;D

[B]Opinionater:[/B] Sakurasuka

[B]Subject:[/B] "Life"

[B]Question:[/B] In your opinion, is it possible to truly relate to a situation/ matter you?re enlightened on intelligently to the same degree of a person who?s experienced it first-hand?

Sakurasuka - [size=1][I]Of course it is. Possibly moreso, since your emotions would not blind you from the issue as it would had you experienced said situation. You won't likely have the exact same reaction/views/experience seeing as you haven't been through said circumstance yourself and every person reacts differently, but I believe it is completely possible to 'put yourself in someone's shoes' and view the issue in a similar, if not the same, light.

Now, the question itself is somewhat vague, but I'll try to incorperate examples to help clarify and make sure I know what you're talking about.

Let's say you've never been in a serious relationship, yet a friend of yours is having troubles with his/her significant other. Your views on the subject won't be as emotionally charged as your friends, but you should be able to intellegently discuss and give your advice quite easily, by imagining yourself in his/her position.

Same with most things. Let's say someone has been affected negatively by the effects of Affirmitive Action. Now, you haven't, but you can empathize and understand exactly where said person is coming from. Same the other way around.

Now, there are specific issues that are better experienced firsthand [You can't exactly understand/comprehend things like sex or true love unless you've experienced it], but generally if you put your views aside long enough to see both sides of any situation, you should be able to discuss it intellegently, though you may not have as many good points of discussion than those who have.[/I][/size]