OtakuBoards

Afro Samurai

Andy

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]One of the best anime I have recently watched, Afro Samurai give's the watcher a more of a rap/gangsta type anime. Although a very short anime(5 episode's), Afro Samurai is actually a very well done anime, as far as animation goes(imo). The storyline isn't too out of the ordinary considering the fact that it is such a short anime.:animesigh Anyway's, Samuel Jackson does the voice acting for Afro, the lead character in the anime(awesome).^^ Anyway's, it's a pretty good anime in my opinion. What do you guy's think?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
From what I saw (3 episodes I believe), for an action anime, it was indeed pretty good. And at that time, it was something I needed desperately. The animation was prettiful, and I didn't really pay much attention to the voice work.

If I had a serious gripe about the series itself, it had to be that guy that was traveling with Afro. That guy talked entirely too much, but I understand he was there for comic relief.

I wish that I'd caught the 1st and last episodes, and I wish that this series went to atleast 26 episodes instead of 5.

• 1 year later...
[SIZE="1"]Well it's not exactly news really but having just rewatched Afro Samurai again I felt I might as well post some of the stuff about the up-coming second season Afro Samurai Resurrection which is due out in 2009 and see if we can't generate a bit of discussion.

Obligatory teaser trailer.

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Afro Samurai Resurrection Trailer"]Z37G8kjhFxE[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

The basic plot again concerns our titular hero who apparently having [spoiler]killed Justice at the end of the last season and claimed the title of Number 1[/spoiler] has fallen into a bit of a malaise regarding the warrior culture. This changes when a woman from his past played by Lucy Lui shows up (also wearing a headband) forcing Afro to engage in his usual variety of murder and mayhem in the name of some cause or other.

Interestingly [spoiler]the Afro Samurai from the title may not regard Afro but rather his father who is being resurrected to lead some kind of undead army.[/spoiler] Anyone else sense an awesome face-off here ? Mark Hamill lends his copious voice talents, as does [spoiler]Yuri Lowenthal as Kumo/Jinnosuke[/spoiler].

So thoughts/feelings ?[/SIZE]

I'm actually still trying to catch this from the beginning. Fighting-wise, I think it's really good, but I don't know anything that was going on. In any case, I am happy to hear that there's going to be a 2nd season. I'm still hoping the series will be a little longer. (13 episodes atleast, 24-26 at most.)

[quote name='Magus']I'm actually still trying to catch this from the beginning. Fighting-wise, I think it's really good, but I don't know anything that was going on. In any case, I am happy to hear that there's going to be a 2nd season. I'm still hoping the series will be a little longer. (13 episodes atleast, 24-26 at most.)[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah I ended up buying the first season on DVD just to know what the heck was the overall story going on in the background.

As for how many episodes will make up the second season I doubt it's going to be any more than the first one given it costs Gonzo about a million dollars per episode to produce. I guess Sam L is taking a fairly big paid-cut compared to what he could make, but then he really does love the series.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Yea, I had saw the Resurrection trailer a while back on Funimation's website, and had gotten pretty psyched about it. I, personally, was glad to see that they were going to continue the series. I loved the first one, and judging by the trailer's new voice actor's I'm sure I'll love this one too. :3[/FONT]

• 4 weeks later...
Justice is really what made me like the series. Although he was only in the beginning and end, his costume and revolver were really cool. The battle between him and Afro was awesome as well.

I knew they were going to make the new series after a while since the previous one left off with a cliffhanger between Afro and that Teddy bear guy. (forgot his name)

[color=darkgreen]Thought so. Turns out that Resurrection is a movie instead of another 5 episode (or " " episode) series, which will be airing on Spike TV tonight at 10pm eastern time.

Edit: Wow, that was awfully confusing.

I also managed to catch the series from the beginning as well. Storywise, I suppose it's about vegeance, but then again, I don't think the creator(s) were aiming for a story. It's more like an action game. You know, it tells a horrible or decent story, but the fighting is where it shines... That's how I see it anyway.

Speaking of fighting, wow, that was some of the best sword fighting I've seen in a long time. Is this the same Gonzo company that made Samurai 7? IMO, it don't even feel like it because the fighting was up there with Karas, Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Champloo.

Actually, it felt a lot like Samurai Champloo with the hip hop thrown into it and whatnot. I kind of chuckled a bit at all the [spoiler]robots[/spoiler]. They kind of felt out of place with the setting and whatnot.. [/nitpick]

Another thing that blew me away was the visuals. Again, is this really the same Gonzo that did Samurai 7? Some of the characters were hideous (well, not hideous, but ugly), but this was a visual masterpiece nevertheless. Looking at the water and scenery had me in awe. They could've done away with the fanservice though.. >_> But then again, this being on Spike TV, I guess it wouldn't feel like a "manly" series without it.

Characters.... err... who were they exactly?

Voice work. I suppose it was pretty decent. It was nothing major, but I didn't really care for Lucy Lu in this. Perhaps it was the writers fault though.

Overall I give it a solid 4/5.

Edit 2: I was talking about the whole thing in general instead of talking about the movie itself. XD[/color]