OtakuBoards

Voice actor & seiyuu appreciation

Dagger

Which seiyuu or voice actors have impressed you lately? What are your all-time favorite performances?

I thought of this while rewatching AIR for the [i]n[/i]th time. While the show is spectacular to look at and does a great job of evoking its characters' emotions through visuals alone, it wouldn't be the same without the acting of [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=14929][u]Daisuke Ono[/u][/url] and [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=526][u]Tomoko Kawakami[/u][/url]. As Misuzu, a female character with a cute, high-pitched voice, Kawakami delivers some of the most heartrending sobbing I've ever heard. She's equally convincing as the male main character of Hikaru no Go (who ages from twelve to fifteen over the course of the show).

[url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=910][u]Tomokazu Sugita[/u][/url] might be best known as the voice of Suzumiya Haruhi's Kyon. I'd also heard him in Honey & Clover, but his [spoiler]breakdowns[/spoiler] in the final few episodes of Kanon 2006 (in which he plays the protagonist, Yuuichi) actually made me hold my breath.

Two of the most memorable performances I've seen (heard?) are [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=8851][u]Ryou Hirohashi[/u][/url] as Sora in Kaleido Star and [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1030][u]Jouji Nakata[/u][/url] as the Count of Monte Cristo in Gankutsuou. Of course, my reasons for liking them are pretty different. :p

~Dagger~

Ahh, I'm probably going to be pulling out some cliched ones but I can't help it. Might as well get them out of the way, right?

I have to note [B]Ishida Akira[/B] because he did two of my favorite roles: Kaworu from NGE and Satoshi from DNAngel. [B]Ogata Megumi[/B] did Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho but more importantly, she did Yukito and Yue from Cardcaptor Sakura. That was the first subtitled anime I watched, so all the voices there have a special place for me. [B]Tange Sakura [/B] is still my favorite cutesy girl voice but again, CCS was my first sub.

One that I've really liked lately is [B]Namikawa Daisuke[/B], Fai's seiyuu from Tsubasa. I actually really dislike most of the voices but somehow his stands out to me. And I [I]love[/I] [B]Sakamoto Maaya [/B] as Haruhi in Ouran Host Club. Actually, that's another sub where I love all of the voices.

One of my favorite English VA's is[B] Brianne Siddall[/B]. She's done Tsukasa from the .hack//SIGN anime but she's also done a lot of my favorite video game roles, like Jr. from Xenosaga and Elk from .hack. [B]Joshua Seth [/B] is another fun one. I swear I hear Tai's voice in everything! (Digimon). But I really liked his role as Dio from Last Exile. That's such a good anime and all the VAs in it were good.

Oh and the entire cast of Cowboy Bebop was amazing. I know that comes up in every "good dub" discussion but really, I think it's my favorite all-together cast.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Not exactly anything obscure though.

Unfortunately, I can only name english voice actors.

So far, most of my favorite VA's are all in [i]Ghost in the Shell: SAC[/i], but then again, I think this series is the best in everything ranging from VA's all the way down to animation, but that's a bias thing there since I'm a big fan of the series.

Bias-ness set aside, one of my favorite VA's is [u]Crispin Freeman[/u] for the role of Alucard in Hellsing. I don't think they couldn't have made a better choice for Alucard because he sold that series IMO. I like most of Crispin's work. I'm already liking him in Blood+ (except for that british... I think type voice.) The only time I don't really care for Crispin Freeman is when he's doing these comedic roles. The only comedic role I liked him in was S-Cry-ed as Straight Cougar. Personally, I think he needs to stick to the serious type roles. He just don't seem to be that great in comedies.

If there's any VA I like over Crispin, it is [u]Steven Blum[/u]. Of course he is basically known for his role as Spike in Cowboy Bebop, and of course that's where I noticed his performance in. Until I heard him voice acting as Makoto Shishio in Rurouni Kenshin. (I saw RK 1st, but didn't notice him as Shishio until after watching CB.) He can definately play one hell of a villain. (Shishio, Zabuza, and Orochimaru) I also liked him when he was Mugen in Samurai Champloo. Mr. Blum was hilarious in that series especially that episode where he [spoiler]kept trying to force sex with that kunioichi[/spoiler].

I guess it's only fair that I name a voice actress as well. Well I don't know whole name, but she was Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell: SAC. [u]Mary Elizabeth...[/u] I'm not even sure if I got that right.

[i]If all that seemed bunched and rushed, my fault. I'm having a slight case of insomia(sp?) and it's 7:00a.m.[/i]

[color=#9933ff]VA/ Seiyuu appreciation!! YAY!!! Sometimes I feel like these people don't get enough credit (especially some of the more wonderful English VAs, who get swamped by elitist "subs only" fans), so I'm all happy now.

[b]Takehito Koyasu[/b] is my all time favorite seiyuu. His voice is really deep, distinct, striking, passionate, [i]sexy[/i]. He's voiced so many different anime roles it's ridiculous. A fan of Weiss Kreuz once told me that whenever her husband's watching a new anime and she's using the computer or something, she'll be sitting there and suddenly say, "There's Koyasu" because he's in so many different animes. >_> His full list of credits can be found [url="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=662"]here[/url], at anime news network's encyclopedia, although some of his more notable roles include Zechs Merquise (the hottie from Gundam Wing), Hotohori from Fushigi Yuugi, Sakano from Gravitation, and Aya Fujimiya in Weiss Kreuz, his own project.

There are also just certain shows that have stellar, stellar, seiyuu casts. Despite it's ridiculous plot with as many plot holes as there are people in New York, [b]Weiss Kreuz[/b]'s list of seiyuus are incredible. The four main roles, including Koyasu, feature the voice talents of Shuichi Shindou from Gravitation (Tomokazu Seki), Urahara from Bleach (Shinichiro Miki), and Clotho Buer from Gundam Seed (Hiro Yuki). Two of their nemeses are Treize Khushrenada from Gundam Wing (Ryoutarou Okiayu) and Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing (Hikaru Midorikawa). They're all exceptional at what they do.

I think I've also gushed enough about the voice talents of Ouran High School Host Club, but they also work so well together. Everything is perfectly splendid.

On the English side, my absolute favorite voice actor is [b]Derek Stephen Prince[/b], who has done the voice of my first anime love/bishounen, Ken Ichijouji from Digimon 02. He has done a lot of Digimon roles throughout the four seasons (he played Veemon and did combined work with Paul St. Peter as the Jogressed Palidramon WHILE playing Ken Ichijouji). My other favorite Digimon role of his is Beelzemon in Digimon Tamers. Voicing a Digimon is not easy, but he did a fantastic job of displaying all of Beelzemon's emotions - frustration, anger, sorrow. I am absolutely THRILLED that he is also the voice of Uryuu Ishida in Bleach. Yes, I absolutely enjoy hearing his voice every Saturday (Sunday). ^_^

As cliche as this may sound, I really, truly love [b]Vic Mignogna[/b] as Edward Elric. During some of the last episodes in the Lab 5 arc, there was so much emotion in Edward's voice as he [spoiler]pleaded for the life of the prisoners, and for his brother[/spoiler]. It was then that I truly fell in love with FullMetal Alchemist, and with Edward Elric, and I know that it was solely because of Vic's voice.

And of course, I'd just like to mention [b]Stephen Blum[/b] - that guy's awesome at whoever he plays, 'nuff said.[/color]

I've become a little desensitized to Koyasu, since he really is in [i]everything[/i], but he's certainly good at what he does. Scanning through that list, I'd say my favorite roles of his are Touga in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Fool in Kaleido Star and Ukyo in Samurai 7. I think I like hearing him in comedic, crazy & over-the-top roles best. (He was great as a ballet-dancing villain in Speed Grapher.)

And man... I had no idea that he played Seishirou in the Tokyo Babylon OVA. Now I feel like I really need to see it.

[quote name='Phenom']The only time I don't really care for Crispin Freeman is when he's doing these comedic roles. The only comedic role I liked him in was S-Cry-ed as Straight Cougar. Personally, I think he needs to stick to the serious type roles. He just don't seem to be that great in comedies.[/quote]
My favorite Freeman role would definitely be Albedo from the Xenosaga games. I don't think it's a shining example of his acting, but it's so much fun to listen to, because you can tell that he's really straining to sound as psychotic, strung out and emotionally disturbed as the role demands. Not his best part, but he does it with total gusto. Of course, I also love the character, so I guess I'm kind of biased.

I've never heard him in a true comedic role, although people seem to say good things about him in Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Chobits. Interestingly, the character he plays in Chobits was played in Japanese by Tomokazu Sugita... aka Kyon in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Crispin Freeman has also been cast as Kyon for the Haruhi dub. A lot of the dub will hinge on him, since Kyon's sarcastic narration is a big part of what makes the show funny. I'm looking forward to finding out how he fares.

I think his best role, acting-wise, is Tsume in Wolf's Rain.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger][url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=910][u]Tomokazu Sugita[/u][/url] might be best known as the voice of Suzumiya Haruhi's Kyon. I'd also heard him in Honey & Clover, but his [spoiler]breakdowns[/spoiler'] in the final few episodes of Kanon 2006 (in which he plays the protagonist, Yuuichi) actually made me hold my breath.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Easily one of my favorites. his voice as [B]Kyon [/B] is one of my favorite anime roles of all time, and he makes [B]Yuuichi [/B] that much more of a great character. My favorite parts of his are when he throws one word out dryly against a scene of insanity, like in Kanon when he scoops up the firecracker and tosses it out the door then says perfectly "Retribution!" I loved that part XD.

Apparently he is going to be voiced by [B]Crispin Freeman [/B] in English, which hopefully will end up going well. I know a guy with a pair of pants signed by Freeman which he adores.

[B]Steven Blum [/B] I will also agree is an excellent VO. He was one of the first ones I began to notice in many places.

[B]Brianne Siddall [/B] is one of my personal favorites for her role as Tsukasa. I always loved that performance as Tsukasa has that whole dry, careless tone about him. I also loved her role as Taro from Serial Experiments Lain.

The best of all VO's, though, is not from an anime (except for as [B]Kanchome [/B] in [B]Zatch Bell[/B]).[B] Richard Steven Howard[/B], known for his performances as [B]Zim [/B] in [B]Invader Zim[/B], [B]Billy [/B] and billy's dad from [B]The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy[/B], [B]Rodney [/B] from[B] Squirrel boy[/B], and [B]Raz [/B] from the game [B]Psychonauts[/B] as well as many minor roles, takes my vote. Simply because, his role as Billy is unmatchable. The insanity and perfection that goes into each of Billy's line is incomparably. The guy's insane :animesmil

I think that covers as much as I'd like to type right now >_>

EDIT: In regards to Crispin as [B]Albedo[/B], the Japanese VO is a lot better in my opinion[/COLOR]

My all time favourite seiyuu right now would have to be [B]Tomokazu Sugita[/B]. He was great as Kyon and his singing voice is really good. Kyon's version of Hare Hare Yukai was fun to listen to. And then there's Kentai Life Returns (Kyons other character single) which was...interesting...^_^

And then there is Ryotaro Okiayu, the voice of Byakuya from Bleach (^//////^), Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket, and many other roles. He was SOOOOOO cool as Byakuya!!!!

My last male seiyuu that I really like right now is Miyano Mamoru. Why? Watch Ouran and pay attention to Tamaki. XD. I laughed my head of and I'm sure you will too.

Favourite female seiyuu:
Romi Paku (Ed in FMA, Temari in Naruto). Great job as Ed, although I can't really comment on Temari.

Aya Hirano: Great singing voice, and as Haruhi Suzumiya she was excellent.

And finally, Reiko Yasuhara. She hasn't got many credits to her name, but as Saki Hanajima from Fruits Basket, she did a great job. Her role in Episode 25 of Fruits Basket still brings chills down my spine. One of the best seiyuu performances I've seen yet.

Favourite VA's:
Vic Mignogna. I really can't say if I prefered the English version of Ed over the Japanese one. Yup, he's talented.

Travis Willingham. When he made the "tiny miniskirts" remark, I cracked up. XD. That was probably the most I have ever laughed when watching a english dub.

All the voice actors who work on the Bleach anime are really good. It's probably one of the best dubs out there, apart from Azumanga Diaoh.

[size=1]Usually I like the voice actors of the language I hear the anime in first, strange I know. I have quite a few, so here it goes:

[b]Crispin Freeman:[/b] Other than being the voice of deliciously delivish [b]Alucard[/b], I love him as [b]Balmung[/b] from .hack (he fits that type of character so well! ^^ ) and [b]Amon[/b] from Witch Hunter Robin. His voice is incredible. I thought he would have been chosen to do [b]Howl[/b] in Howl's Moving Castle, but Christian Bale was great in it. They both have similar types of voices anyway.

[b]Vic Mignona:[/b] I love Vic as [b]Dark Mousy[/b] from DNAngel. He pulled the character off so well, in my opinion. That mixutre of sarcasm and care was magnific!

[b]Eric Vale:[/b] He is the voice of [b]Trunks[/b] from DBZ, who just happens to be my first ever bishie. I've met him and actually got his signature which is hanging up on the wall proudly, starting my bishie signature collection rather nicely.

[b]Dan Green:[/b] The voice of [b]Yami[/b] from Yu-gi-oh. I love Yami's character and the voice goes so well to it. Again, it's similar to Crispin Freeman's in a way.

[b]Akira Ishida:[/b] I love him as the voice of [b]Athrun[/b] from Gundam Seed/Destiny. Who can't love Athrun? I mean come on...

[b]Hikaru Midorikawa:[/b] The voice of characters such as [b]Heero Yuy[/b] from Gundam Wing and [b]Ryuho[/b] from s-CRY-ed. Again, similar types of characters, so the voice goes well with both.

I think that will be enough for now, before I end up doing more than my fair share. XD[/size]

[color=#9933ff][b]PAKU ROMI[/b]!!! How could I forget her? V_V;; I've seen her as Edward in FMA, and she does an awesome, awesome job on that. I really think she gets across a lot of Ed's sarcasm and emotional displays ("Fuzake Na!). The other reason I like her is because she's also done the voice of my favorite bishounen hottie Ken Ichijouji.

And by the way, that woman can SING! I can't imagine how hard it is to sing a ridiculous 1950s Rock-and-roll song in the voice of Ken Ichijouji (it's such a painful genre for a series like Digimon), but she really pulls it off.[/color]

I wonder if Paku does any singing in Nana? (She plays Nana O., the lead vocalist in a band. Other people sing the openings and endings of the show, so maybe not...)

It can be startling at first, but I do enjoy hearing her in female parts. Same goes for [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=9961][u]Junko Minagawa[/u][/url]; before I saw Aria, I had only heard her as the main characters of Prince of Tennis and Loveless (both young male roles). In Aria, though, she plays a cool onee-san type. It's funny how these low-voiced female seiyuu tend to get cast as either pretty boys or bishounen-esque women--hey, maybe that's why I like them. The divine [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=411][u]Mitsuki Saiga[/u][/url] has many bishounen roles, but the females she plays (such as Chie in My-Otome and the Countess in Gilgamesh) are oh so suave.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=#656446][quote name='aoi_hikari']And then there is Ryotaro Okiayu, the voice of Byakuya from Bleach (^//////^), Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket, and many other roles. He was SOOOOOO cool as Byakuya!!!! [/quote]Shigure [i]and[/i] Byakuya?! Wow... That is just... wow.

I pay little attention to voice actors but there are a few of them whose voices I've become familiar with:

[b]Miki Shinichiro:[/b] Urahara Kisuke from [i]Bleach[/i], Allen from [i]The Vision of Escaflowne[/i], Asato Tsuzuki from [i]Yami no Matsuei[/i], Kurtz Weber from [i]Full Metal Panic![/i], Leonir Taylor from [i]Pumpkin Scissors[/i]
Is he versatile or what? I was used to hearing him as the gullible Tsuzuki so when I first heard him speak Allen's lines I said "No...It couldn't be him. He doesn't sound like yaoi fodder!" So there you go. A voice that can go yaoi, goofy or serious.

[b]Sho Hayami:[/b] Muraki Kazutaka from [i]Yami no Matsuei[/i], Aizen Sosuke from [i]Bleach[/i], Meister Kirisaki from [i]Yakitate!! Japan[/i]
Ahh, that wonderful, deep, deep voice. How does he do it? His voice has this air of elegance and calmness, something that always rings through in every line he speaks. Even if he is turning 50 next year, his voice still drips with everything R-18.

[b]Tomokazu Sugita:[/b] Sakata Gintoki from [i]Gintama[/i], Mayama Takumi from [i]Honey and Clover[/i]
I love his Gintoki more than his rendition of Kyon. It's probably because of how much life he injects into the dialogue, and how his voice fits them serious characters who should not be taken seriously.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger]I wonder if Paku does any singing in Nana? (She plays Nana O., the lead vocalist in a band. Other people sing the openings and endings of the show, so maybe not...)

[/QUOTE]
Paku-san doesn't sing in Nana, they got someone else to provide Nana O's singing voice . God knows why they did that...

After watching some anime today, I've grown fond of two voices.

Specifically, I watched the D.Gray-Man anime. Allen's seiyuu took a bit of getting used to but I fell in love with his voice. He's done by [B]Sanae Kobayashi[/B] who has a very sweet, pure sounding voice. Very girly but she is a girl, so *laughs* She's also apparently done Pi in .hack//G.U. and I love the .hack series, so I'm all for that.

The second is also D.Gray-Man. Lavi's seiyuu, [B]Kenichi Suzumura[/B], has actually done a lot of popular voices it seems. He's got a goofy fun voice and it totally fits Lavi. He's also done Hikaru from Ouran Host Club and Demyx from Kingdom Hearts 2. He's done a lot of dramas, too, and I swear I saw some BL ones listed, which would make me a happy girl (Silver Chaos, at least, was listed).

I really loved both of these voices and want to hear more of their work.

I can't comment on D.Gray-man, but I think Sanae Kobayashi's best male role is Akira from Hikaru no Go. On the female side of things, she shows a lot of versatility as Lucy and Nyuu in Elfen Lied. ANN also has her listed to play Oscar in the Rose of Versailles movie, which (if true) should be interesting.

In the latest episode of Death Note, I almost wet myself when [B]Mamoru Miyano[/B] (Light) said [spoiler]計画通り。[/spoiler] It was way too magnificent for us peons. However, overall I'm more impressed by [b]Jun Fukuyama[/b] as Lelouch in Code Geass. Their acting is of the same caliber, but Fukuyama has this incredible timbre to his Lelouch voice that makes it impossible for me to believe he's the same person who played Albert in Gankutsuou.

~Dagger~

• 3 years later...
Takahiro Sakurai; i love the way he changes his voice! He voices Otani (Lovely complex), Kanda Yuu(D. gray man) among others :D
Mamoru Miyano; Light Yagami and Tamaki Souo. Totally different characters, and he voices them so perfectly.
Jun Fukuyama; Lelouch Lamperouge, Watanuki Kimihiro, Grell Sutcliff, Vincent Nightray and Shinra Kishitani :3 i love him lol XD They're totally different from each other! even their personalities and everything!
Hiroshi Kamiya; Orihara Izaya, Tieria Erde, Natsume Takashi, Kengo Asamura, Kouji Minamoto *-* his voice is SO sexy/cute. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]Can't believe that I didn't mention [b]Kirk Thorton[/b] in my first post. The guy is just as epic as Crispin Freeman and Steven Blum. I think the thing that sets him apart from those 2 are that he makes characters that talk a lot sound great.

Seriously speaking, the guy has a voice that seems like it's made for long explanations. I particularly enjoyed his role as Hajime Saitoh (Rurouni Kenshin) because of it. I hope that when (and if) they pick up Tales of the Abyss that they get Kirk to reprise his role because he I can't see anybody voicing Jade besides Kirk himself.[/font][/color]