OtakuBoards

Guitar orientated anime?

Guest popeman1989

Guest popeman1989
Hey forum users, I'm new and I was just curious to know of any anime that feature guitar prominently? I've watched through FLCL (took me a while; that's a damn long series!), any other interesting ones?

Thanks a lot!

[url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4404][u]Beck[/u][/url] sounds like what you're looking for. (The official English site isn't fully up yet, but you can see the main page [url=http://www.beckanime.com/][u]here[/u][/url].)

[quote name='ANN description']Tanaka Yukio, better known by his nickname Koyuki, is a 14 year old who feels disconnected from life in general. Through the act of saving a mismatched dog, he meets guitarist Minami Ryuusuke, and becomes involved in Ryuusuke's new band BECK. Koyuki's life starts to change as the band struggles towards fame.[/quote]
Another show you might be interested in is [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=401][u]The Legend of Black Heaven[/u][/url].

[quote name='ANN description'] Oji Tanaka has a wife, a child and a mundane job as a salaryman in Tokyo's modern society. But life wasn't dull for him to begin with; 15 years ago, he was known as "Gabriel," leader of a short-lived heavy metal band called Black Heaven. Oji's life gets a sudden change in direction when he is invited by a mysterious blonde woman named Layla to pick up his Gibson Flying V and once again display his "legendary" guitar skills, not knowing that his music generates power for a massive weapon in an intergalactic war.[/quote]
Also, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi only has a guitar featured in one episode, but it's such a memorable and well-done scene that you should definitely try to watch a clip of it or something.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pixxi wings
[quote name='Chooch13']Try Digimon Zero Two. They have exerpts of Matt and he's in a rock band. You might get lucky. :animesmil[/quote]

Ha! Oh my gosh. You're my new best friend. Call me every five minutes.

As for guitar-oriented anime ... BECK was the only one I could think of. If you're looking for music-oriented anime in general, I highly reccomend La Cordo d'Oro. It's shoujo-y, which I'm not normally into, but I really do like it a lot myself. It's worth a look.

• 3 weeks later...
Beck is a really good choice for Guitar orientated anime. I watched it resonably recently and I really anjoyed it.

I only found it because of the music; on of my friends favourite J-Rock bands the Beat Crusaders do the opening song and alot of the sound track. Although I think musicwise FLCL's soundtrack from The Pillows is better. The Beat Crusaders singing has to grow on you before you can really enjoy it, and I just love 'Advice' from The Pillows to much, a much more 'rocky', raw-ish sound compared to Beat Crusaders more indie sound. I just like guitar solos to much.

It is a good anime though, good plot, if slightly predictable, and characters that are less so. My favourite charcter is Ray/Ryusuke the [spoiler] bands lead guitarist and the one who inspires Koyuki [/spoiler].

I don't know how realisticly the anime portrays Japans underground music scene, but it quite interesting to watch how they find fame.
It also has an interesting use of English and Japanesse. - some characters are American/Japanesse, or just American.

Anyway, its really good and you should cheak it out.

In the second season of digimon there was matt who was in a a band. It shows him playing the guitar a few times throughout the series. Also in cromartie high school there is at least one reference to some sort of guitar oriented band in each episode along with the covers of the dvds. Besides that it has awesome riffs in the starting menu!

• 4 weeks later...
[color=#007520]The original question was posted in April and there's been little discussion since. The original poster hasn't even returned to reply. I think it's safe to say this thread has died, so I'll be closing it.

Miss April, please try to not ressurect dead threads, unless they're listed in the [thread=38208]Official Anime Threads Directory[/thread].

Thread Closed.

-r2[/color]