OtakuBoards

Competitive/Professional Gaming

Hylian

How many of you play games competitivly or professionally? I play SSBM and go to tournaments almost every or every other week. I have traveled to other states to play with people in tournaments and enjoy playing competitivly. I am the best Samus player in Texas(well..best samus main anyways).

Do you know anyone who plays games competitvly? Some popular games are SSBM,MVC2,Third Strike,Tekken,Halo 2...

And I am talking about consol games not computer games like counterstirke or Quake >_>.

Just wondering how many other competative games we have here :). Playing for money is exciting and tournaments are really fun as well as travveling and meeting new people. And if you have any questions on how to get into the competative gameing scene just ask.

And who knows what EVO is? I went to the last one for SSBM and got to the quarter finals..I was knocked out by the 3rd best person in Texas >_>.

[SIZE=1]Professional gaming scares me. Seriously.

I mean, I do like playing games and all; in fact I waste a good [read 'bad'] proportion of my daily life on them, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable having my abilities judged by other people in a tournament like that, especially if I got trounced. My pride gets crushed enough simply by losing to a stranger in a random match when no-one's there to witness my defeat.

Still, I envy you for the money bit, as imagine most every other non-competitive gamer would. : P[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]Professional gaming as a whole is a retarded thing. Why? Because I've always got it in my head that when something becomes a job then its not longer fun and besides; the guys and girls on the MLG circuit are normally a bunch of douchebags.

Granted, I've gone to a few tournies in my day. Some Virtua Fighter 4, CS:S, and of course the obligatory UT2004 but I'd never let my skills turn it into a job for me. As much as I like playing video-games and, trust me, I play them quite a bit; You can't pick up chicks by saying; 'Yeah, I get paid to play video-games.'

Cause thats just lame.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Wouldn't that line of thinking also apply to professional sports, though? Or really anything that you enjoy and can make into a career? I would think that most people would love to get paid for doing something they enjoy. Sure, it wouldn't be as fun as doing it on your own time, at your own pace, but it's definitely better than a job you dislike.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Wouldn't that line of thinking also apply to professional sports, though? Or really anything that you enjoy and can make into a career? I would think that most people would love to get paid for doing something they enjoy. Sure, it wouldn't be as fun as doing it on your own time, at your own pace, but it's definitely better than a job you dislike.[/color][/quote]

I agree with this. I hate it when people degrade professional gaming >_>...It's not like I live off video games and the tournament money. I actually pretty much only play at tournaments or when a bunch of friends are over and want to play or something. And look at it this way, would someone look down on you more for being a professional gamer or a garbage man? Professional gaming takes talent and skill just like professional sports do and is hard to get into.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I play Tekken ([url]www.tekkenzaibatsu.com[/url]) competetively and there is a huge community behind it. I travel to a lot of tournaments abroad (been to most of europe and been to the US once)

Hylian, I wen't to Evo 2004 (Daigo with the FULL parry!) and placed.....7th I think, for Tekken 4

I've won and placed top 3 in quite a lot of tournament's so I would think I'm pretty good at the game now ^^

Reason I'm so into the tekken scene is because Tekken is a highly skilled game at top level and I enjoy putting my skills to the test with other people, and seeing what different styles of play people have from around the world, not to mention the people in the community are usually really funny and great to hang out with[/COLOR]

Still on Tekken eh? Come back to cs! :p

I played Counter-Strike 1.5/6 competitively for a year or two, but it was very draining due to the team play aspect...you couldn't expect to win any matches unless you practiced regularly. There was also a high level of churn among clan players, so you'd be almost constantly trying to get new members to gel with old faces. The money was also poor, despite CS having the largest prize pots at the time - splitting the winnings between five people (and possibly a sixth if your team had a manager) left the individual with peanuts!

That aside, meeting (and playing against/with) people from across the globe was a blast, especially when they were from the more famous/skilled clans. Unfortunately CS Source split the entire scene in two, due to it being a rubbish game that has next to no learning curve for new players.

Beyond that I've dabbled in competitive Pro Evolution, SSBM/SSB, WoW, Goldeneye & Soul Calibur (on the DC), although never enough to do anything noteworthy.

I just wish my time with games wasn't so limited these days, there are a lot out there that have competitive potential!