OtakuBoards

Bush Vetos

Starwind

[quote name='Starwind']They voted, they established a government, we got Saddam, we got his kids, we got Zarqauwi, we trained there military, what else does he think we can do?[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Not to sound cynical, but probably hold out until after the next election so that someone else can handle the problem. :animesigh

I'm glad you posted what you did. It's good to hear from someone other than the media, since they tend to blow things ridiculously out of proportion on either side of the issue. And on that note I agree with you. If we're not actually doing anything over there anymore, then why are we still there?[/FONT]

[color=crimson]While trying to stir up the zeitgeist of prior eras could be admirable usually people simply cannot be motivated by speech alone.

Myself, for instance. Let's say I was like DB and apathetic a couple of years ago. Over that span of time I have had at least three or four friends, good friends, get deployed to Iraq from San Antonio. Now I doubt I would be at ease when, currently, each time a soldier dies from San Antonio I check to see if it was someone I know. People I went to middle school with, people I worked with. Something is wrong with a situation where I'm having to do that.

That would be a good motivator for dissent. Personal little details like that accumulate and can really hone a person's anger more than just an orator although orators can be powerful as well.

Democracy is not a fantastic or even good system, it's adequate and the level of civil and political freedom when compared to most authoritarian governments is superb. Unfortunately when the power is given to the people it does become a responsibility to utilize that.

Making a difference does not require a dramatic, Hollywood revolution or movement of some sort spreading over the nation and culminating at the gates of the White House. Making a smaller difference is just as good.

You don't necessarily need a force a coup to disagree. ;)[/color]