OtakuBoards

Stem Cell Research

Shadow Blade

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]
I know I haven't visited in a while, and I apoligize for that.

However I come with a plea for help. My partner and I have to do a debate for Stem Cell Research. Apparently we had to draw positions, and we're ending up drawing the pro-position. In other words we have to be for it. And I don't know what to argue with. But here are a few stuff we came up with.

1. It'll cure dieases.
2. Way better than abortion.
3. Scentific breakthroughs?

We need more stronger arguments. With the Finals, my attention span is all over the place and I need help. Plus I am not much of a science intuned individual. I'd really appreciate your help if you could help me come up with some ideas. If so then my partner and I will forever be in your debt.
[COLOR=Red]
In this thread you state whether or not if you're for or against Embryonic Stem Cell Research. You need to state a reason. This will give us an idea of the debate on both the pro and con side of the argrument. So fire away...[/COLOR]

P.S. I apoligize if there has already been a thread concerning this topic. If so, then I knew nothing of its existence. Really.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Shadow Blade][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]However I come with a plea for help. [B]My partner and I have to do a debate for Stem Cell Research[/B]. Apparently we had to draw positions, and we're ending up drawing the pro-position. In other words we have to be for it. And I don't know what to argue with. But here are a few stuff we came up with.

1. It'll cure dieases.
2. Way better than abortion.
3. Scentific breakthroughs?

[B]We need more stronger arguments[/B]. With the Finals, my attention span is all over the place and I need help. Plus I am not much of a science intuned individual. [B]I'd really appreciate your help if you could help me come up with some ideas.[/B] If so then my partner and I will forever be in your debt. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]For starters, it sounds like this is an assignment you need to be doing yourself. You've already got three points to use for your debate, research them and get the information you need to back those points up.

Because in the end, your debate will go better if you are relying on your own research instead of what we think. I realize that looking things up takes time, but in the end you'll build a better argument than if you rely on the points we bring up.

You'll get more detailed information than you would from simply reading what people's take on the issue is here. And that is the only help I have to offer, or rather that I will offer.

[color=dimgray] I don't understand how stem cell research replaces abortion, but your arguments seem fine. What you need is hard research and facts that will back you up in your debate. Use Wikipedia as a starting point, and then gather official research by using Wiki's reference links or searching any ideas you get from reading the entry.

In debate, no idea is bad if you can find strong evidence supporting it. And you [i]will[/i] find plenty of information and debate over stem-cell research. As a starter, you can look up the Point Counterpoint book series, as well Opposing Viewpoints. [/color]

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Impact]Sorry about this, Mods.

And here's the link to [URL=http://galenet.galegroup.com/servlet/OVRC?vrsn=230&slb=SU&locID=westvhsl&srchtp=basic&c=1&ste=3&tbst=ts_basic&txb=%2522Stem+Cells%2522]Opposing Viewpoints[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][QUOTE=Sojiro47][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Impact]Sorry about this, Mods.

And here's the link to [URL=http://galenet.galegroup.com/servlet/OVRC?vrsn=230&slb=SU&locID=westvhsl&srchtp=basic&c=1&ste=3&tbst=ts_basic&txb=%2522Stem+Cells%2522]Opposing Viewpoints[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Sorry for what? Though you might want to give them a better link since the one you provided requires a person to log in. So if they can't get to the information, it won't do them much good.

As for the topic, I agree with Aaryanna_Mom, on some level it's better if you get the information yourself. You have three points already, google is your friend in this type of situation and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find some good information to back those points. ^_~
[/COLOR]

Oh boy. Looks like I?ve been dissed *laughs*. Wow you guys have no idea what my partner just said to me when she saw this thread. She?s on Otaku as well and she got mad at me. Told me to use my brain for once *shrugs*. You guys all have a point. Sorry for asking, it was pretty dumb.

As for Lunox?s question. I would think that because abortion is all about killing the fetus and disposing of it, then the scientists could use it to get some stem cells before trashing it. But then again this me saying it, so it?s a bit elementary.

Thanks [b]Aaryanna_Mom[/b] (you sound like my mom *chuckles*), [b]Lunox[/b], [b]Sojiro47[/b] I?ll check out the web site after I get an account, [b]SunfallE[/b], and [b]2007DigitalBoy[/b].

Once again sorry for trying to take advantage. But thanks for the lecture, I really needed one. I don?t like doing research but it looks unavoidable, so I?ll probably be surfing the web and cramming with the books. But if you guys could find some useful sites, that will help please PM me. I?d appreciate it. May the Force be with you?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=#656446]Oi, just a friendly reminder:

I hope the you won't let your debate mirror the shitestorm that's raging over the issue. Ah, I suggest you use only arguments based on the natural sciences and the current laws in your area so you can set a limit on the paths you can take your debate. I find that discussions on the moral/ethical aspect of stem cell research are akin to bull sessions on which capital sin has the most gravity.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#DAA520][quote name='Shadow Blade][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Thanks [b]Aaryanna_Mom[/b] (you sound like my mom *chuckles*)[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]She does the same thing to me, trust me. Even though I rarely ask anyone for help like you did. I swear! All mom's are like that!

Still to give you a hint, take those three points you've chosen and look them up on Wikipedia since they have good information, as well as links to other sites with information. Oh wait, someone already suggested that. Either way best of luck! Personally I think debates are fun! ^_~[/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1][color=indigo]Pro Tip: Don't use Wikipedia for research. It's fun for just finding out things, but it's not considered a hard and fast research tool, since it's so prone to change. It's references are fine though, but most articles don't even have those. Google is your friend.[/color][/size][/font]

Guest FlaccidSheep
Hey, just looking at your post, and i agree with Lunox, what do you mean by abortion, stem cell doesn't even enter that sort of area.

I can give some sort of first hand experience from what i've had little experience with Stem cell. I have had Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis since i was 2 years old, most of my life upto my age now (17) i have pretty much been in pain in physical mobility and health on a whole, I was approached by my doctor in Leeds, to go see and concider steam cell theropy in Newcastle, at the time i was about 11 and this kind of treatment was new and basically I was the youngest to have been considered having it done to.It felt as if i was an experiment, mainly being the risks involved and the little effect it could have had on me at the time.
I sort if disliked the whole afternoon and decided against it, Why did i go against it.

I was young and still needed to carry on my education.
The treatment was new and the risks of death was quite high compared to these days, and no real UK practice had been done.
My parents wanted me to have Double Hip replacement as they were my real problem (most damaged part of mobility), so having stem cell did not help.

On a 2 year discussion about my age (10) at the time i got to 12 years old and they approached me with a date to have my hips replaced, which was a week from then (personally i thought it was a joke, i mean seriously a week?). I had the replacement in Leeds i was in and out within 4 weeks, and it was the best decision of my life, i am now fully mobile, happy, and acheiving better education grades. And i am glad i did not run the risk of Stem cell.

You could say Stem cell is the _very bare, last resort operation known to man_.
I think you've got your work cut out with being on the Pro Stem cell side, as the benefit effects arn't permenant in most cases. Good luck with your assignment and sorry for the life story

:animesmil

Okay FlaccidSheep like I said to Lunox

[quote name='Shadow Blade']As for Lunox?s question. I would think that because abortion is all about killing the fetus and disposing of it, then the scientists could use it to get some stem cells before trashing it. But then again this me saying it, so it?s a bit elementary. [/quote]

But I haven't found out whether or not that's even a 'good' reason. I still trying to so some research (right now as a matter of fact). For the life story, no need to be sorry for it. I solute you, FlaccidSheep. You have to have guts to go through what you went through, if it were me, I would have been scared stiff, and cried "Bloody murder". But then again that's just my reaction. I admit I can be a sissy sometimes. BUT just sometimes, most of the time I'm all macho. Gotta jet, I have so much work to do and only about 15 minutes to do it.

Damn. Looks like I'm going to have to sacrifice my lunch hour to complete my research... [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Shadow Blade][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]As for Lunox?s question. I would think that because abortion is all about killing the fetus and disposing of it, then the scientists could use it to get some stem cells before trashing it. But then again this me saying it, so it?s a bit elementary. [/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]

[color=deeppink]This feels like a problem with semantics. By your explanation here, you're saying that abortion would be better if it were used [i]for[/i] stem cell research instead of abortion for abortion's sake, which I'm sure is what you mean.

What you said earlier was that stem cell research itself is better [i]than[/i] abortion, implying on some level that there's a choice between the two, which I'm pretty sure was just a misspeak. If I'm correct, is where the confusion is setting in.[/color]

[COLOR=#004a6f][quote name='DeadSeraphim][font=arial][size=1][color=indigo]Pro Tip: Don't use Wikipedia for research. It's fun for just finding out things, but it's not considered a hard and fast research tool, since it's so prone to change. It's references are fine though, but most articles don't even have those. Google is your friend.[/color][/size'][/font][/quote]However, it's still a good idea to use wikipedia a springboard for your research, because you will find terms and ideas you didn't know, and when you use google in your search, you'll have a better set of keywords to work with.[/COLOR]