OtakuBoards

Thinking of the Future

Darren

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma]
[B]1)[/B] What grade are you going into after this year? Are you graduating? Or did you already graduate? If so, what year?
I just finished my first year of University.

[B]2)[/B] Are you, or were you, worried? What do you plan to do with your life or are you just as confused, (and in some cases, scared) about the future as I am?

I regret not taking a year off. I know I would have gone back and I needed more time to weigh my options about whats I want to do with myself. I've chosen a career path, but still am not sure if its what I want. I'm terrified of the future, becasue currently it seems very bleak, but I have personal faith I can make things work out for me.

[B]3)[/B] Did everything work out in the end? Or was there some sort of hinderance that kept you from going or doing what you wanted to?

Graduating last year was scary, but I'm not going to say everything worked out perfectly. I got my diploma which counts for alot, I'm in university which also counts for alot. I still think I should take a year off but then I would have to start repaying ym student loans and wel.. its just too late now.

[B]4)[/B] What sort of advice can you give to someone like me? (Someone in high school who is freaked out of his mind)[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I went through that last year, and (unbeleivably) when you get to your next destination, be it university, college, or life there will be other people who are just as freaked out. Life will move on, you will find new friends and people to be with, things will work out, but only if
-you never give up
-have faith in yourself to do what needs to be done
-keep moving forward[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'm going to omit the first question, because I don't like people to know too much about me!!

2) Are you, or were you, worried? What do you plan to do with your life or are you just as confused, (and in some cases, scared) about the future as I am?

It's very normal to be worried! Just about everyone is, with the small exception of people who know what they want to do, and people with trust funds! Besides, as they say, a small amount of worry is good, because it motivates you to work hard.

3) omit! Sorry!

4) What sort of advice can you give to someone like me? (Someone in high school who is freaked out of his mind)

Breath! Focus! You still have time to decide. Follow your instincts, but also be prudent. Don't do something because people tell you to do it. If you want to pursue something with very few job oppurtunities, then do a dual major in computers or business. At least then you'll have a job to pay the bills until you land your dream job! As wonderful as "You can be the 10% who make it!" sounds, that's only 10%...you're more likely to be that 90% who doesn't make it! I hate to worry you more, but it's good to balance dreams and reality. Study hard for your SATs, and thoroughly research all possible colleges. With good SAT scores and grades, you'll be able to get into a decent college. Also, some colleges may cater to a wider variety of people, thus making it easier for you to make friends. If you're a liberal person, don't go to small-town, conservative college! If you're conservative, don't go to a liberal college in the city! Check out the clubs. If there is an anime club, you're set on friends! Many of the incoming freshman are in the same boat as you: all alone, shy, and nervous to make friends. Joining clubs is a great way to meet people. Avoid the temptation to hide out in your dorm at all times.

[QUOTE=Darren][SIZE=1]
[I]Anyway, onto the discussion:[/I]
[B]1)[/B] What grade are you going into after this year? Are you graduating? Or did you already graduate? If so, what year?

[B]2)[/B] Are you, or were you, worried? What do you plan to do with your life or are you just as confused, (and in some cases, scared) about the future as I am?

[B]3)[/B] Did everything work out in the end? Or was there some sort of hinderance that kept you from going or doing what you wanted to?

[B]4)[/B] What sort of advice can you give to someone like me? (Someone in high school who is freaked out of his mind)[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial]1. Not yet. I'm in the class of '09. That means I'm going into my junior year, and does it ever excite me. I already have senioritis. (I think I've had it since I was in eighth grade.)

2. I'm definitely not worried. I plan to be a musician all my life. Because of this, I don't really care if I can go to college or not. I mean, I'm going to try my best these last two years and apply to several different places, but if I don't get accepted anywhere it won't be such a big deal. I have a really specific plan in my mind that is driving me crazy with excitement.[/FONT]

1) What grade are you going into after this year? Are you graduating? Or did you already graduate? If so, what year?

I graduated in '06, but I took the past year off to take care of some stuff, so I'm starting college in the fall.

2) Are you, or were you, worried? What do you plan to do with your life or are you just as confused, (and in some cases, scared) about the future as I am?

Hell yes I'm worried. I'm really shy (really people just scare me), so I don't make friends very easily; and I just moved back here after 9 years, so the only people I know are randomly scattered everywhere (not counting my parents), and I'm incredibly lazy and unmotivated, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to find something in college that I really love, so I can actually succeed in life (as in not becoming a hikikomori for real instead of just sort of)...

3) Did everything work out in the end? Or was there some sort of hinderance that kept you from going or doing what you wanted to?

I hope it'll all work out. Usually for me things seem to basically turn out alright, so I'm trusting in my luck for now.

4) What sort of advice can you give to someone like me? (Someone in high school who is freaked out of his mind)

Hmm.. advice... Well, I don't really know anything about college, or about life, but I do know about being away from home... And the one thing I can say about that is: don't be a loner. Even if you're not a social person, if you don't make the effort, eventually people just leave you alone, and you'll wind up alone and depressed... or at least that's what happened to me for couple years of high school... which sucked until I realised that there were actually people who wanted to be friends, but since I was always by myself and giving off this "stay away from me" vibe, that's just what they did...
Stopping=bad, moving forward, however slowly, =good.

Well.. I hope I didn't just freak you out more or anything. One last thing, [COLOR=Red][B]ENJOY YOUR SENIOR YEAR!!!!![/B][/COLOR] you're not gonna get another one, and that's the one thing I wished I'd done a little more of.

[size=1][b]1)[/b] What grade are you going into after this year? Are you graduating? Or did you already graduate? If so, what year?[/size]

[size=1][color=purple]I also happen to be entering my senior year. Which really didn't hit me until yesterday after attending a close friend's graduation. I can hardly believe how much time has passed & how little still remains.[/color]

[b]2)[/b] Are you, or were you, worried? What do you plan to do with your life or are you just as confused, (and in some cases, scared) about the future as I am?
[/size]
[size=1][color=purple]Absolutely terrified. I really don't know specifically what I want to do (& I refuse to get stuck in a job I do not love for the rest of my life), but it definitely has to involve art. Maybe a bit of technology too. [/color][/size]

[size=1][color=purple]A lot of my fear comes from the uncertainty. Not just about what I want to Do with my life, but for other reasons as well. Unlike most people I know, I will be starting life after high school with no money & not much else. My parents have very little as it is; my father(who I live with - not by choice ) is currently receiving social security checks - they barely cover rent & bills & food - happens to be horrible with money management, and isn't quite right in the head. My mother(who I love very much) is having serious health issues due to her breast cancer reappearing, and can no longer work. Meanwhile, my stepfather & grandmother Are both working, but neither have any extra money beyond what they need for themselves & taking care of my mother.[/color]

[color=purple]So as far as college goes, my chances aren't so great. And I'd [i]love[/i] to go to an art school. [b]BUT[/b], fortunately, I do have many dear friends who are willing to help me out in whatever ways they are able to when my time comes.[/color]

[b]4)[/b] What sort of advice can you give to someone like me? (Someone in high school who is freaked out of his mind)

[color=purple][i]The same thing I'm telling myself :[/i] Do your best & leave the rest to work itself out. Because I'm learning that life tends to eventually take you where you want, if you only let it. [/color][/size]

[quote name='Darren][SIZE=1']I know most people don't have a clue when they're a senior in high school, but for me I think it's really worse. Everything I want to do has a high probablility of failure; probably less than 10% actually make a living out of it...[/SIZE][/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]What are you interested in doing?

As for me, I'll be a senior in college this fall. The idea of [i]finally[/i] being done with school is a little scary, because I'm not sure what I'll be doing after I graduate in the spring. (I'm a German major, but I don't plan to do anything with it.)

I'm applying for a study-abroad scholarship for the year after I graduate; if I get that, I'll definitely take part in that program. If not, I may end up working with Teach for America/Americorps, or the Peace Corps. I guess what I really want to do is work with non-profits.

Another option would be to apply for a job at the place where I currently volunteer?that's appealing for a couple reasons, but for some of the same reasons (close to home, a familiar workplace), it also seems like kind of a cop-out when I could be doing other things.

My advice? Just go for what you want to do... but be open to change. After a year or two away from home, you may find out that there's something you love that you never knew existed before. Don't be afraid to take chances?both on what you want to do now, and what you might find later.[/color][/size]