OtakuBoards

Moetan! Engrish For Beginners!

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/moetan1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Hero! Ai amu heeya too teru yoo abauto [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOETAN][B]Moetan[/B][/url]! For those who have never heard of [url=http://www.moetan.jp/]Moe-tan[/url], it is a series of books created to tech Engrish to the otaku of Japan. It follows the adventures of magical girl Ink-chan who is trying to help Neo-kun learn english. For each word or phrase in English, it gives an example that references some anime. Naturally, these phrases are horrible. Including...

[B]Weapon[/B]: "My ultimate weapon is the China cannon attached to my groin."
This Pokemon reference that seems to have pig and mouse confused...
[B]Punish[/B]: "Every time the hero wins, the trio is punished by the pig like creature."
And my personal favorite...
[B]Bet[/B]: "When I fell in love with the her, I thought that the girl was my stepsister. I bet if I had known she was my real sister, I would not have fallen in love with her."

So why am I posting about this now? They made an anime about it!

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/moetan3.jpg[/IMG]

Meet Ink-chan. Even though she looks about 6, she is in high school (so of course her friends make fun of her. There's another in her class with the ailment, though). Ink-chan has a major crush on a boy in her class named Nao-kun, but she's a short crybaby, and he's a otaku and kind of mean. Well, Ink-chan has this master plan that she and he are going to go to the same university and fall in love and graduate and get married. Unfortuanetally, due to his English grades, Nao-kun may not be able to go to college (though he doesn't care all that much.)

Meanwhile in some other dimension, we see a powerful mage escaping trial and death and running away, only to be subject to some kind of test by a king in the clouds. The king says he will have to face a trial and the mage is sucked into a wormhole.

Ink-chan looks up to see a duck falling from the sky.

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/moetan2.jpg[/IMG]

Yep, it's the mage guy. She takes him back home and the duck announces that he wants her to become a magical girl and help people. At first she will be a weaker magical girl, but she will become strong. When Ink-chan realizes she can use this to help Nao-kun, she accepts the offer and becomes...

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/moetan4.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Magical Teacher Ink-chan[/B]! Anywho, the rest i will not spoil.

As for my first impressions, this show is rediculous and adorable. It's not really funny enough yet to be a comedy show, but it's cutesy enough to not be boring. I can see it getting more comical as it progresses. i just want to see what kind of horrible English phrases they produce throughout.

If you're the type who shys away from loli fanservice (AKA you have a stick up your *** >_>) then you will not like this show. It pretty much sexualises this little girl. But if you can ignore that and just watch the show, you might find something you like. Especially if you like Magical Girl shows. [/COLOR]

I'm probably not going to watch the show itself, but just clips and stuff that amaze me with their Engrish.

My personal favorite quote from the Moetan Engrish so far:

"Feel."

"I really want to eat people because I feel so itchy."

This is the most awful, reprehensible series I've ever seen. The transformation sequence all by itself is probably in violation of the UN Declaration of Human Rights. Everything about this show screams that it was made entirely by pedophiles for public enjoyment by, and ONLY by, other horrible sexual predators like themselves. This is the end of human civilization, folks, it's all downhill from here. In ten years the only form of anime (the only form of entertainment whatsoever, for that matter) that will still exist will be newborn infants of indeterminate sex - [I]who are of legal age nevertheless [/I]- running around in skimpy two-piece bathing suits waving about magic cellphone-ipod-wiimote-wands while various in-show perverts drool over them. Every moment of Moetan represents the essential sadness and futility of the human species, its massive failure at everything. After this we pretty much deserve whatever it is fate has in store for us - Moetan is just that god damned terrible.

Naturally, everyone should go and watch the series IMMEDIATELY. Highly recommended!

[quote name='Fasteriskhead']This is the most awful, reprehensible series I've ever seen. The transformation sequence all by itself is probably in violation of the UN Declaration of Human Rights. Everything about this show screams that it was made entirely by pedophiles for public enjoyment by, and ONLY by, other horrible sexual predators like themselves. This is the end of human civilization, folks, it's all downhill from here. In ten years the only form of anime (the only form of entertainment whatsoever, for that matter) that will still exist will be newborn infants of indeterminate sex - [I]who are of legal age nevertheless [/I]- running around in skimpy two-piece bathing suits waving about magic cellphone-ipod-wiimote-wands while various in-show perverts drool over them. Every moment of Moetan represents the essential sadness and futility of the human species, its massive failure at everything. After this we pretty much deserve whatever it is fate has in store for us - Moetan is just that god damned terrible.

Naturally, everyone should go and watch the series IMMEDIATELY. Highly recommended![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]That's the best post I've read all week, on any forum, period. KLike he said, go watch. Melt your brain with us![/COLOR]

I watched some of an episode and it didn't really appeal to me. The best magical girl transformation scene I have ever witnessed, but the humor and overall cuteness doesn't really get to me. I love her special copter though.