OtakuBoards

Zero no Tsukaima

SunfallE

[COLOR="goldenrod"][CENTER][IMG]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6603/zero01xa0.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

In Zero no Tsukaima those who can use magic are a mage or noble. Anyone one else is considered a commoner and therefore is subservient. Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière a student at the Tristain Academy is referred to ?Zero Louise? since any attempt to perform magic goes stunningly wrong. Often resulting in a huge disaster. However on the day where mages summon their protector/familiar, instead of a creature, which is what most mages summon, Louise summons an Earthling called Saito Hiraga. Who she and everyone else mistakes for a commoner, and since second attempts are not allowed, she?s stuck with him.

Humiliated in front of the other students for having summoned a commoner instead of a true protector, Louise treats Saito like any other summoned creature, making him sleep on the floor and eat leftovers. As well as thinking nothing of changing her clothing with him in the room, or expecting him to dress her in the mornings to prepare for the day.

But that changes when Saito accepts a challenge from a noble who dislikes commoners and because Saito exposed the fact that he was [spoiler]two-timing a couple of other mages/nobles.[/spoiler] At first he is beaten badly, that is until he is given a sword. Bringing into to play powers he has as Louise?s familiar.
[CENTER]
[IMG]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6537/zero02ur0.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

This whole show reeks of innuendos and fan service in how certain characters are drawn and the very first episode is full of the usual implications with the principal of the school being a complete and total pervert as he casually walks behind his assistant just so he can [spoiler]put his hand on her rear. As well as sending his familiar, a mouse, under the table and up the chair so it can peek at her underwear and come back and tell him what she?s wearing. [/spoiler]

At first it seemed rather boring but then it picked up once Louise had summoned Saito. I?ve gotten through the first two episodes and even though some of the innuendos aren?t my thing, the rest of it is rather funny. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Damn! I was really looking forward to starting this thread since season 2 just started, but I never managed to finish season one. In any event, I love this show, because while it's pretty much pointless, it's really fun and hilarious. Oh, and there's tons of fanservice for both sides of the spectrum (big or small boobs...)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"] I love this show, because while it's pretty much pointless, it's really fun and hilarious. Oh, and there's tons of fanservice for both sides of the spectrum (big or small boobs...)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Oh I agree, it is pointless. Though now that I've gotten a little further plots are starting to emerge. Giving the show more to stand on than the fan service which gets old real quick. Though just when it looks like the fan service is tapering off they revive it with a flourish. The episode where Louise gets a job comes to mind. o_O That was certainly interesting. I went back and forth between cringing and laughing out loud at how absurd it was.

Oh and by far one of the wackiest episodes was when Louise accidentally drinks [spoiler]the love potion. Too bad for Saito that she remembered everything that had happened when it was finally reversed. [/spoiler]

As for the fan service. Meh. Other than some of the innuendos between Louise and Saito, quite a bit could have easily been left out without hurting the show at all. :p[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"] I love this show, because while it's pretty much pointless, it's really fun and hilarious. Oh, and there's tons of fanservice for both sides of the spectrum (big or small boobs...)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]I agree that the show is pointless, but saying it has fan service for both sides? Only you would think that DB. :p

Still once you get further along and past all that silly fan service, which thank god isn't as bad as other shows, it is funny to watch if only because it's so cliched and pointless at times.

In other words, if you're bored and have nothing else new to watch, it is semi amusing to watch once. Don't know if I'll ever do so again though. Or if I'll bother with the second season since the ending was so predictable that it had me cringing. [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Aren't a lot of comedies like this pointless? The story and plot are just there to introduce situations for the characters. I could see things coming from a mile away but I didn't mind because the show is all about the character interaction anyway.

Anyway, I finished watching season 1 a bit ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminds me of Love Hina, except for the setting and Saito not being helpless and cowardly like Keitarou. It's good for a laugh, easy to watch multiple episodes in a row, and is only 13 episodes long so I can see myself watching it again some time down the road.

I'm also looking forward to season 2. Just waiting on the high-definition h.264 releases for episodes 1 and 2.

And I love Louise's long, flowing, pink hair. Forget the fanservice, that hair is just too pretty. :animenose[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]And I love Louise's long, flowing, pink hair. Forget the fanservice, that hair is just too pretty. :animenose[/color][/QUOTE]Hehe, that pretty pink hair of hers makes all the obvious stuff worth while. ^_^ And forgetting the fan service, which I did not care for, it was fun to watch. :catgirl: It wasn't my favorite series by any stretch of the imagination, but after a while I probably wouldn't mind watching it again. Since it was in some places quite funny. That and I'd probably watch it again if only for that [spoiler]love potion episode.[/spoiler] That was awesome. lol[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Aren't a lot of comedies like this pointless? The story and plot are just there to introduce situations for the characters. I could see things coming from a mile away but I didn't mind because the show is all about the character interaction anyway.

Anyway, I finished watching season 1 a bit ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminds me of Love Hina, except for the setting and Saito not being helpless and cowardly like Keitarou. It's good for a laugh, easy to watch multiple episodes in a row, and is only 13 episodes long so I can see myself watching it again some time down the road.

I'm also looking forward to season 2. Just waiting on the high-definition h.264 releases for episodes 1 and 2.

And I love Louise's long, flowing, pink hair. Forget the fanservice, that hair is just too pretty. :animenose[/color][/QUOTE]Oh I agree, and I did enjoy the character interaction. I suppose it would make more sense to say that even though I did enjoy it once, I probably wouldn't buy the dvd's when it comes out. I would however, six months down the road watch it again. It's what I call the fun to watch on occasion, but not enough to actually spend the money on acquiring it type of show. ;)

And I agree about Louise's hair, it is too pretty. lol As well as a good amount of the rest of the animation in this. It is pretty well done. And I do get the biggest kick out of how Louise is good at [spoiler]blowing things up left and right.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Second season, hoooo! (I think I might be watching too much Hard Gay....) The first episode starts things off nicely. Louise is being a little more honest with herself and a little nicer to Saito?a little?but she invariably keeps getting pissed at him anyway. It's very much a love-hate relationship now, which is as amusing as ever to watch.

Episode 2 wasn't anything special. Drama, flashbacks, and more drama, though we do get to see more of the princess. It looked to be setting up the story for the series. And Louise [spoiler]casts another Void spell. It almost seems weird to see her use magic properly now.[/spoiler]

I thought the new opening and ending were really a step up over the first season, by the way. The first season OP was decent but I really liked both from the second season.[/color]

Well I finally got around to watching this and putting all that silly fan service aside, it was fun to watch. [[SIZE="1"]and yes DB there are guys who exist that do not like pointless fan service :p[/SIZE]]

Anyway, what was fun about this show was just how pointless things were. It made the character development and conversations more fun since it was obvious that was what the show was really about. The plot was just thrown in there. lol

So far the episode I laughed at the most was the one where Louise [spoiler]drank the love potion[/spoiler] as well as the one where Louise had to get a job. Though the owner of that place... Watching that owner in action was pretty damn painful. lol

Also, I'll second the notion that Louise's hair is too pretty for words.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]It's very much a love-hate relationship now, which is as amusing as ever to watch.[/color][/QUOTE]Heh, that's what I love about this show, that love-hate relationship those two have. And having just finished the first season I like how it ended. Even if it was obvious that Saito was going [spoiler]to stay in Louise's world. ^_~ [/spoiler]

I enjoyed how it didn't fall back into the rut of relying only on fan service and the other plots going on made it interesting. I wasn't too thrilled over how they [spoiler]killed off the other prince though, I would have liked to see him in the show more. [/spoiler]

The site I go to for fan subs has part of the second season of this out so I'll have to watch it, I mean Louise actually [spoiler]casting magic without blowing things up?[/spoiler] That I gotta see! ^_^[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oi oi oi! Great news for all you [B]Zero's Familiar [/B]fans. I'm sure you all already knew about the series' first season having been liscensed some time ago, but what's this? [B]Seven Seas [/B]has also apparently liscenced the light novel that the series is based on! Hooray! (sorry if you already knew, i just found out!)[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[color=#4B0082]Well now, the second season is over with and here I am wondering if there will be a third. They certainly left it open enough, especially with the completely random, out of nowhere bit at the very end. I won't spoil it but it was one of those things that made me go, "WTF? Are you [i]serious?"[/i]

By the way, I love it when Saito cuts loose and starts wasting people left and right. His, [spoiler]"I will be the opponent of 70,000 men for a little bit,"[/spoiler] line was perfect.[/color]