OtakuBoards

Lovely Complex

Horendithas

[COLOR="Indigo"][CENTER][IMG]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/226/lovelycomplex01pk6.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Risa Koizumi has always been taller than most people, and Atsushi Ootani has always been shorter than most boys. Risa, who fell asleep during an assembly and is caught doing it ends up being punished by being required to attend summer school. Only to realize that she's stuck in the same summer class with Ootani. Something that annoys both of them since they are always arguing with one another. But when a cute tall guy named Suzuki ends up in the same summer class, Ootani and Risa team up to help each other with getting to know someone they are interested in. Risa with the new student Suzuki and Oatani with Risa's friend Chiharu. But in the end Suzuki and Chicharu end up [spoiler]liking each other. [/spoiler]

However, Risa begins to notice that she has feelings for Ootani. Feelings that Ootani doesn't seem realize are there. Thus begins the start of Risa finding a way to get Ootani to understand that she likes him as well as figuring out if a relationship between a short guy and a tall girl is even possible.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3058/lovelycomplexfi4.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Now I've only watched the first episode, but it was fun, engaging and the constant arguing between Risa and Ootani was well done. It's almost as they are good friends who are too afraid to realize that they just might like each other.

I'm not a huge fan of the animation to this even though it does look nice. Primarily because they way they've done both Risa and Ootani reminds me of One Piece a bit. However, it does fit them. Especially when they have moments of saying the exact same thing or reacting to something in the same manner. Like in the first episode and the two of them get all excited over [spoiler]swimming in the pool. They're like little kids being given a treat. [/spoiler]

Anyway, it does look like it will be a fun series about relationships and I'm looking forward to watching the next episode.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]Well I have to admit that I'm surprised I actually like this. Usually romantic comedies do not appeal to me at all. But now that I've watched the first four episodes I'm really enjoying it. Especially now that Haruka has shown up. The arguments between him and Otani are just too funny.

This whole series is just cute and whimsical, and fun to watch. I love all of Risa's expressions depending how how she's feeling, especially since they tend to drag them out a lot in the show, making them so comical.

And that last bit in the fourth episode where Otani [spoiler]got kissed by the new student [/spoiler] was perfect for setting the mood of Risa to finally starting to admit that she does [spoiler] care for Otani. [/spoiler]

I certainly hope it continues to be fun to watch. I've outright laughed at some of the silly stuff in this show. :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"] Usually romantic comedies do not appeal to me at all. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]And I'm the exact opposite. So long as the humor is semi fun and the plot semi interesting, I get sucked into romantic comedies all the time. Especially when it's something really good.

I haven't seen enough of this to know if that will be the case but I do agree that it is very whimsical and cute in it's own way. And Risa is very, very lovable. lol Somehow the idea of a girl who's taller than you, spunky and funny at the same time is just fun to watch.

That and her snarky comments to her self about being a giraffe in the previous life make me laugh. But what made me laugh the most was in the very beginning when she had [spoiler]fallen asleep at the assembly. When she woke up and ranted about losing her summon monsters, etc. [/spoiler] I just laughed and laughed over that. Hehe.

So now I'll have to start watching more of this show it seems.

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Rachmaninoff;785330]I get sucked into romantic comedies all the time. [/QUOTE]lol, that's so true it's almost painful. ;)[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][spoiler]When she woke up and ranted about losing her summon monsters, etc. [/spoiler'] I just laughed and laughed over that. Hehe.[/quote]
I did as well, that single moment drew me into the series more than anything. And now that I've gotten through the fourth episode as well I'm still enjoying it. The addition of a love interest for both of the main characters really shakes things up. And I can't help but laugh at some of the silly stuff going on.

Like the moment in the gym when they did the mock [spoiler]slam dunk with Otani, by virtue of another student in black helping him. [/spoiler] And the way that guy's girlfriend was so mortified by it was just too funny. Heh.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Oh my! I just finished episode five! Oh that was just priceless when Otani found out that his new [spoiler] girlfriend who kissed him is a guy! [/spoiler] I never expected Seiko to be [spoiler] a guy! I mean... he looks too much like a girl! lol [/spoiler]

That was by far the funniest episode yet with the way Otani was getting teased over what happened. :catgirl: As well as poor Risa's reaction to realizing that she had [spoiler]grown another 2 centimeters. Oh the tragedy of realizing she was taller! lol [/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Oh my! I just finished episode five! Oh that was just priceless when Otani found out that his new [spoiler] girlfriend who kissed him is a guy! [/spoiler] I never expected Seiko to be [spoiler] a guy! I mean... he looks too much like a girl! lol [/spoiler]

That was by far the funniest episode yet with the way Otani was getting teased over what happened. :catgirl: As well as poor Risa's reaction to realizing that she had [spoiler]grown another 2 centimeters. Oh the tragedy of realizing she was taller! lol [/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]You have no idea how much I cringed when I realized that Seiko [spoiler]was a guy.[/spoiler] o_O I mean Seiko does not look like [spoiler]a guy[/spoiler] at all! Even the voice doesn't match. And the first thought going through my mind when that was revealed was wtf? And this after I was admiring the music for the scene where Otani got [spoiler]kissed.[/spoiler] I just loved the music for that moment in the series. Now I'll never be able to think about it in the same way again. XP Though speaking of music, the opening song to this is starting to grow on me. lol I wouldn't mind having a copy of it to add to my play list on my computer. Heh.

Oh and I agree, Risa's reaction to realizing she was [spoiler]taller[/spoiler] was too funny. As well as all the snickering going on over Otani being [spoiler]kissed by a guy. lol[/spoiler]

I love this show, even though I know I really shouldn't. For the most part this is a straight-up shoujo romantic comedy kind of series - it's not particularly profound, it doesn't really take any risks, and it tends to go a little off-key in the dramatic moments. There are two really big things to like, though. First, it's [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai-ben]Kansai[/url], and I mean REALLY Kansai. To the point where the main (transparently pre-romantic) pairing basically starts off as a comedy duo, nande ya nens and all. The second big thing (no pun intended) is Risa. Otani can hop in front of a bus for all I care, but Risa is pretty much immediately likeable with some depth to boot. What you've got in her is a normal (if overly genki) teenage girl who just happens to be really, really tall (and also capable of making [i]completely awesome[/i] facial expressions). A lot of the series really amounts to nothing more than Risa's trying to be a girl, [i]just[/i] a girl, and trying to get others to treat her that way rather than as a carnival side-act. Put aside all the traps &c. and Risa's the one truly carrying this series, because it just wouldn't work at all if she wasn't such a great lead. Tall girls don't get enough love, you know?

Anyways, like I said, it's not a show for the ages and doesn't really pull it off when it tries to be. It is, however, one of the best series of its kind to hit in awhile. Worth checking out if you're into this kind of effeminite, lovey-dovey stuff at all.

[COLOR=Indigo]Now that I've finished episode six, I've come to adore Risa. The show just wouldn't be the same without her. I've even gotten use to all her wacky facial expressions since she does them so well. She's so good at being the unusually tall girl that as you put it Fasteriskhead is [I]trying to be a girl, just a girl, and trying to get others to treat her that way.[/I]

Anyway as if finding out that Seiko is [spoiler]a guy [/spoiler] wasn't wacky enough. Risa realizing that everyone already figured out that she liked [spoiler]Otani [/spoiler] was fun. That whole episode with all of them trying to get her to [spoiler]confess to Otani that she liked him and how he was so clueless and thought she liked someone else [/spoiler] cracked me up to no end.

I swear, how a guy could be that clueless is beyond me, but now that it ended on the [spoiler]cliff hanger of her telling him but ending without a reaction from Otani...[/spoiler] I really need to watch episode seven. Heh.[/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Rambling_soup']Ah... I love this series. Especially Risa and Seiko-chan! (What?)[/QUOTE]No what needed, Seiko is hilarious. How any [spoiler]guy could be so effeminate is priceless. [/spoiler]

Anyway, I finally got to watch episodes seven through twelve. And I just have to say, Otani is absolutely beyond clueless. lol The way Risa had to practically tell him [spoiler]she liked him so many times just made me laugh.[/spoiler] And the way it depressed her to no end was also kind of funny. The episode where she played the ghost for the haunted house and literally freaked people out was fun.

I'm not sure what I think of how they have Otani being so [spoiler]uncertain as to whether or not he likes Risa [/spoiler] But I do like how they keep ending up together.

Right now the funniest moment is when the rest of the class learned that Otani initially [spoiler]rejected Risa. [/spoiler] The way they instantly gave Otani the cold shoulder was hilarious. Anyway, now I need to hunt down episode thirteen. [/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
I just finally got around to watching more of this, which made me wonder why I quit watching it for a bit, since it's still every bit as fun as I remember. [quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]Right now the funniest moment is when the rest of the class learned that Otani initially [spoiler]rejected Risa. [/spoiler] The way they instantly gave Otani the cold shoulder was hilarious. Anyway, now I need to hunt down episode thirteen. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]Oh I'll agree, and in a way that idiot had that one coming. Gods, he's so clueless that it's painful to watch! lol

And yeah I need to hunt down episode thirteen as well, if only because the preview gave the impression that [spoiler]those two would finally kiss.[/spoiler] So I definitely need to see if their relationship starts going somewhere. Heh.

Once I get to the end I just know I'm going to end up watching this again. :catgirl:

• 1 month later...
[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well I finally got around to watching this and though I've only watched a few episodes I'm quickly becoming addicted to it. Risa is just too adorable really with all those wacky expressions that she makes which are too fun.[quote name='Rachmaninoff']That and her snarky comments to her self about being a giraffe in the previous life make me laugh. But what made me laugh the most was in the very beginning when she had [spoiler]fallen asleep at the assembly. When she woke up and ranted about losing her summon monsters, etc. [/spoiler] I just laughed and laughed over that. Hehe.[/QUOTE]So far that bit at the assembly is my favorite, that really made me laugh a lot. :catgirl: Anyway, I've been resisting watching this since romantic comedies are so not my thing, but unless it changes, I'm thinking that this will be the exception. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Oh episode thirteen and fourteen. Otani just couldn't get any more clueless. How a guy could [spoiler]kiss a girl and forget is beyond me, sick or not.[/spoiler] Poor Risa. I like the new opening as well as the music though. I was worried that the show would lose some of it's momentum, but it's still going along well enough to make me laugh and cringe at the same time. And the first part of episode fourteen? I just loved the overly dramatic organ music to go along with Risa being upset over Otani [spoiler]not remembering their first kiss. [/spoiler] That was just awesome as well as the new character Maity showing up.

• 2 weeks later...
In Episode 9 (I think) [spoiler]after Risa got rejected and was saying, "Otani is bear curry!", I laughed AND cried at the same time.[/spoiler] That's the first time I have ever done that. EVER.

This anime makes me laugh in almost every episode. Best of all, it's almost entirely in Osaka-ben! ^___^

• 4 weeks later...
Well, it's been a while, but I did finally finish this series. Overall I really enjoyed it and got quite a few laughs out of the whole process. Even though I found myself hoping the two would get together, there were times that I wanted to take Otani and shove him out a window for being so damn clueless. lol

Probably the only thing I didn't care for was some of the final episodes and additional characters. Some of them were fun and yet barely in there at all and some of the wrap up episodes on the [spoiler]other couples[/spoiler] felt like they were just tossed in there to get to that magic number of twenty four episodes. They just didn't fit really.

However, that can be forgiven since it had an excellent ending that really fit the show. Now I just need to get the manga so I can read it to see not only the differences, but to see how much if any of it was left out. The way some of those last episodes went really have me wondering if it was a case of condensing stuff just to get it in there.

[color=#4B0082]Is it just me or was anyone else wanting to see Haruka and Seiko get together? I kept expecting there to at least be some hints towards that but there never were, which was kind of disappointing. On one hand they seem like a good match; on the other, knowing [spoiler]Seiko is actually a guy[/spoiler] made it seem a bit weird because I usually don't go for that kind of thing.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Is it just me or was anyone else wanting to see Haruka and Seiko get together? I kept expecting there to at least be some hints towards that but there never were, which was kind of disappointing. On one hand they seem like a good match; on the other, knowing [spoiler]Seiko is actually a guy[/spoiler] made it seem a bit weird because I usually don't go for that kind of thing.[/color][/QUOTE]You're not the only one. >_> I just wasn't going to say anything since I find it kind of creepy that I keep thinking that those two needed to get together. Because Seiko is so damn [spoiler]feminine looking for a guy, that I would forget that he actually is one.[/spoiler] So every time it crossed my mind that those two fit one another... It just brought me up short when I remembered that. Not that I object, only that the mental image just didn't fit. The only way a [spoiler]guy would look so much like a woman is through extensive surgery and even then... [/spoiler] Well you get the picture... only in anime I suppose. XP

• 5 months later...
[FONT="Tahoma"]I?ve been watching this show and I just adore it. ^_^ Risa and Otani are so cute and fun to watch. The show has had so many fun moments that just make me laugh out loud. Like the one where Otani later learns that the girl Seiko who [spoiler]kissed him is really a boy o_O[/spoiler] and the time when Haruka shows up out of nowhere. Startling both Otani and Risa when he hugs her immediately since they are [spoiler]childhood friends.[/spoiler] Every time I think the show can?t get any funnier it does.

I really love the music to this show too. There are times when they use organ music that sounds like a funky variation of Bach?s organ fugues that just totally crack me up. XD I?ve watched the first 18 episodes already, it?s hard to believe there?s only six more to go![/FONT]

[quote name='Sabrina;814855][FONT="Tahoma"] The show has had so many fun moments that just make me laugh out loud. Like the one where Otani later learns that the girl Seiko who [spoiler]kissed him is really a boy o_O[/spoiler][/FONT][/QUOTE]It was funny and yet creepy at the same time. [quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"']I really love the music to this show too. There are times when they use organ music that sounds like a funky variation of Bach?s organ fugues that just totally crack me up. XD I?ve watched the first 18 episodes already, it?s hard to believe there?s only six more to go![/FONT][/quote]Agreed, the music is fun, especially the bits with the organ music. You may be close to the end and a few of the episodes are kind of like filler ones, but the ending really suits the show well. I think you'll like it.

[color=#4B0082]The show does kind of stumble towards the end with a few episodes that seemed extraneous. It felt like they were desperately trying to extend the series out to a full twenty-four episodes at the last minute. But the ending itself was pretty good.[/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I finished it earlier today and I agree, the ending stumbled a bit with the stuff about the others, but like you both said the ending was good. It really did suit the series. ^_^ I'm kind of sorry I'm done watching it since I enjoyed it a lot. :catgirl: I can tell that it's the type of show that down the road, I'll enjoy watching it again. [/FONT]

• 1 year later...