OtakuBoards

GEEK SPEAK: Mail Online or Mail Client?

AzureWolf

[COLOR=maroon]For the longest time, I found myself using Thunderbird (and for a short time when I first got a Mac, Mail.app). However, Gmail has become so versatile and useful, that I made a complete migration over to it. I consolidated all my accounts there: one real-life e-mail account, and another for all online matters. All other accounts have either been deleted, or, if it's a necessary account, forwarded to the appropriate account.

Organization in Gmail is so well-controlled and dynamic because of searches and labelling, that it frags Thunderbird's poorly implemented tags (although smart folders always rocked). The interface is simple and pleasant, which I can't say for Thunderbird's clunky, linux-esque feeling.

[i]Long story short: I love Gmail. I think it's the beats all other e-mail programs and accounts. What are your thoughts? Do you use an e-mail client or stick to web-based mail only? Why?[/i][/COLOR]

[quote name='Semjaza']I personally like downloading my mail on my computer for access even when the Internet isn't working for me... so in that sense, web mail never will really replace anything for my uses.[/QUOTE][COLOR=maroon]What client do you use? And my personal reasoning was, "if I'm going to be sending and receiving e-mail, you need to be online for that anyway" sort of thing. But yeah, digging into archives offline is useful to many people, so I understand.

In fact, that's what I loved doing. But once I realized I format/move/change computers too much and sometimes lose data keeping my mail like that, I like the security of web-mail.[/COLOR]

I use Pocomail... but I'm fine with the more archaic methods of filtering e-mail by fields and searching normally.

I actually read a good article about Gmail's systems and how all of that works and how much better it is... if I needed a web client I guess I'd give that a shot.

Gmail, and usually with the Gmail Notifier for my taskbar. Although I don't use email too often in the first place, I do like to know exactly when a new one comes in, and the Notifier does that without adding another heavy process to my slow, clunky computer.

[SIZE="1"]I also enjoy the features of Gmail moreso than I did with my old e-mail services. I had started using the service when it first came out, and I haven't looked back since. The fact that I don't have to fiddle around and delete old e-mails to free up space is also great. As John has already mention, with the Gmail Notifier, it's much easier to find that you have an e-mail, instead of having to go to the page through a browser and refreshing ever so-and-so to see if you have an important e-mail.

The ability to search all of my e-mails by using a keyword is probably my favorite part of Gmail.[/SIZE]