OtakuBoards

Shinigami Dance

2010DigitalBoy

Double Feature: Lessons / Idling

Nathan realized as he touched down on the freshly-mowed park grass that he hadn't actually let Lucia know he'd received her message. He knew she probably didn't expect any immediate response, but it would at least be courteous to let her know what his plans were, so she could do what she needed to ensure he wouldn't interrupt anything important.

He pulled his cell from his interior coat pocket and flipped open.

–Hel-lo. What's this about?

There was a small color distortion on the very bottom-right corner of the device's screen. He'd checked his phone right after returning, but he wasn't sure why he hadn't noticed it then. Granted, it barely took up a square millimeter of the screen, but then he was used to finding the small inconsistencies. Curious, Nathan pulled the top of the phone forward on the hinge, and the distortion left; he pushed it open again, and the color shifted.

He frowned, and reached up to loosen the antenna housing. A few small twists freed it from the cell, and when he pulled it out he saw the culprit: a small black ring about two centimeters wide attached to the base of the main antenna body, which looked to be a small transmission device.

–Oh. Of course. Victor had it, didn't he? Nathan grimaced to himself. –Blast it, you accursed nosy devil. Always have to stick your French nose everywhere.

Removing the transceiver was little effort, and a quick spark of blue flame reduced it to ash. Reconnecting his phone, Nathan sent a hasty coded message to Gavrie, assuming Adrian's device had been similarly tampered with, and followed it with a quick memo to Lucia.

He flipped the cell shut and turned around to find Alex giving him a nervous look.

"Is ... is something wrong?" the boy asked him.

Nathan pocketed his phone and shook his head.

"It's nothing to worry about." He grinned and strolled away towards an open section of the park, motioning for Alex to follow. "So you want training?" he repeated. The boy took a few seconds to move, so he waited until the young Reaper had caught up to him to continue.

"It's funny," he went on without breaking stride, "because that's what I wanted you for. I know you struggled on our last assignment, but that's hardly your fault. You were nowhere near prepared enough to be expected to deal with that kind of opponent, and you probably felt useless for most of it. But that's only because the fools back home decided you younger guys should be fine with mere infantile knowledge.

"And you were hardly useless, if you think about it. You were the one who took over the Hymn for me, after all, and from the way Lucia told it, you were the one who bought Adrian the time he needed to finish that Count fellow off. So even though you weren't able to fight like some of your crew, you still took the initiative when you saw something no one else was seeing. I like that."

He stopped in the middle of a large grassy field. Off to one side, across the paved walkway, a few college-aged students were engaged in a leisurely game of ultimate Frisbee, but the late afternoon saw most of the park deserted.

"Good time to get started," Nathan remarked, looking around. "Less distractions to worry about."

He spun around. "So the first thing we'll need to do is just get you comfortable with combat. Once you start mastering that, we can move on to other stuff."

"Nathan." Isen broke in. Her shinigami glanced to her, then nodded when he caught her expression.

"Yeah, sure. Go ahead." He paused as she turned and headed silently in another direction, towards a portion of the park more populated with trees and shade. "That reminds me," he said, "I'm not gonna have much for you to do right now, Nall. You're welcome to watch, or hang out, or something, but...."

"That's fine," Nall responded. "I can find something to do if I get bored."

Nathan smiled. "Great," he said, returning his attention to Alex. He stopped again; the boy was holding his scythe in both hands, obviously ready to start.

"No, put that away," Nathan told him. "You won't be needing it just yet."

Alex obeyed uncertainly. "But I thought...."

"Don't worry, we'll get there," Nathan reassured. "But we need to get you solid on the basics: hand to hand, something they probably didn't bother to teach you on the other side.

"First, though, we need to get you warmed up...."

----------------------------

Nall sat to one side for a time and watched as Nathan ran Alex through various stretches and exercises, which could be considered tiring even by shinigami standards. Alex complied quickly, and with little questions, listening intently when Nathan told him what certain tasks were designed for and dutifully completing repetitions as asked. Eventually Nathan was satisfied, and moved on to outlining basic stances one at a time, working each one until the boy could perform it on cue, then repeating many times before moving to the next one.

After a while, Nall began to wonder what Isen had gone off to do. Nathan had seemed to know instinctively what she wwanted without her saying anything, and since he wasn't needed, he rose from the grass and floated off in the direction he'd last seen her going.

He found her almost across the park in the center of a clearing of trees, sitting peacefully on her haunches. Though her head was held erect, her eyes were closed, and she appeared almost to be meditating. Not wanting to disturb her, Nall settled down softly on the ground by the roots of the closest maple to him, watching her curiously.

She remained silent for a few minutes longer, unmoving save once for a single light flick of her tail. The dragon-cat was about to leave her in peace when his eyes widened; a dense white mist began to surround her, obscuring her from his vision, and he sensed a rise of spiritual energy come from her direction. While he watched, the mist completely covered her body and thickened, swirling swiftly about her as it grew to several times her size.

Nall had known werebeasts could change their shape—it was an obvious ability, really—but all the ones he'd seen or known had preferred either their feline form or in rare cases their human one, so thus far he had never seen one actually shift. That alone made him pause for a moment longer; to think that the taciturn Isen would be the first werecat whom he would see do so was a further astonishment.

With a twist the mist dissolved, revealing the kneeling figure of a young woman in her mid-twenties, dressed in a long, high-collared cashmere duffle coat fastened shut from neck to waist, and light-grey pants tucked securely into black leather riding boots. Soft cool-grey hair trimmed the serene features of her face, tapering longer to spill down just above the middle of her back. Her hands lay neatly folded in her lap, and her chest slowly rose and fell in time with her relaxed, measured breathing.

It wasn't until Isen leaned forward and grasped something to her left that Nall noticed another item of her wardrobe: at her side, just under the tail of her light-brown coat, hung a katana, its deep-blue sheath ornately decorated with silvery crystalline flowerings.

–What on earth?! he thought as her fingers settled comfortably onto its hilt. –Are familiars even allowed to have weapons?

Isen drew her sword with blinding speed, rising forward on one leg in a flash of brown and grey. She froze again; obviously the move was meant to both start and finish a fight, and lethally so. Slowly she drew the rest of her body forward and sheathed the weapon again, straightening and turning half to her right. Her eyes still closed, she looked back to where she had been kneeling, as if more imaginary foes were approaching from behind.

Nall's thoughts fell silent as she drew again, another blinding motion followed by two precise cuts, a stab to one side, and a kick to another followed immediately by a fluid strike that Nall knew would have split its target from shoulder to waist. All idea of leaving completely fled him, and he sat entranced by her movements. She was so different from her partner, seeming to flow straight from one attack into the next without appearing to be moving hardly at all, compared to Nathan's speed which made him all but impossible to follow; just when she appeared to be vulnerable she would shatter the illusion and strike from nowhere, almost as if she were drawing her enemies into her one by one, luring them to their death like a siren of the sword.

He must have lost track of time while watching her, for when she finished and sheathed her blade once more he felt as if she'd only just stood up. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came, and he couldn't think of any to put into it, merely watching her in silent admiration as she strolled calmly past his resting place, her left hand resting casually on the hilt of her blade.

"Are you coming?" she asked after she'd gone on a few paces. "We should probably see how Alexander is faring."

Edited by Allamorph

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][SIZE="2"][B]On Edge[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Gavrie was resting on a chair situated at the back of his home, paying little heed to the surroundings or to Karl who was sprawled out on the chair next to him. He was thinking and analyzing everything that Karl had covered in the training session with Adrian earlier; mapping out in his mind what needed to be covered and what did not. It was simple really, since determining whether or not a Reaper was a good candidate for extra training was something he had been doing for several millennia.

If they couldn’t partially master a few specific techniques, then other than to make sure what he taught them was better than required, he’d send them on their way. Without being allowed to take the time to really teach someone, it was pointless to go into depth in any manner if they didn’t have some measure of natural talent. Those that did, he kept a mental list of. Some he tested further, others he did not. It was not necessary to test in this case though, not after getting a full description of everything that had happened with their assignment to take care of the Count.

He was musing over what approach would be best when he was almost startled by a tiny chime indicating he had a message. [I]Now who could that be I wonder?[/I] He was not expecting a reply or call and Gavrie rarely bothered to socialize with others of his kind. Not that he disliked them, but more that he felt no need or desire to be connected. He had no trouble with sticking to himself and exercises to keep fit, he never neglected that. Karl was the same, though he had his own reasons for preferring solitude.

Gavrie opened up his own cell only to be further surprised by who the message was from. He opened it up to read, his eyes going wide. [I]Now that’s a code I haven’t seen in… [/I]His expression hardened slightly upon reading what was sent. Next to him, Karl tensed at the slight spike in Gavrie’s spiritual aura.

“[B]What is it?[/B]”

“[B]Go get Adrian and Astera.[/B]” Gavrie did not bother to explain; getting up and heading inside to fetch Adrian’s own cell phone to take a look.

He toyed with the thought of simply removing the device to destroy it and decided to wait for Karl to return with the pair who was further out in the field resting. Nathan’s message hadn’t been very enlightening as to why Adrian’s cell phone was bugged. This meant he’d have to see if Adrian would know who and why. It didn’t take Karl long to return with the pair and before Adrian could say a word Gavrie tossed his cell phone to him.

“[B]Your cell phone has been bugged.[/B]” He waited patiently for Adrian to check and then remove the device before destroying it. His look of near rage was more than enough to tell Gavrie that Adrian knew who it had to be. “[B]So, care to explain?[/B]”

“[B]Victor L’Envers.[/B]” Adrian spat after tossing the cell phone aside angrily.

[I][B]-That horrible…- [/B][/I]he sputtered mentally, struggling to form coherent thoughts in his anger as he realized when it had to have happened. [I][B]–That means that he knows everything since…!-[/B][/I] For a brief moment he lost it; a red haze covered his thoughts, making it hard to even breathe let alone think.

[I][B]-Adrian, please… calm down.- [/B][/I]

“[B]Use regular speech Adrian![/B]” Gavrie said, sharply cutting into his thoughts. With a start Adrian came back to where he was located, staring blankly at all of them as if seeing them for the first time. With a rush the tension and rage collapsed in on itself and for a moment he felt dizzy, prompting him to take a seat on one of the many chairs on the back veranda of the home.

“[B]It has to be the vampire Victor L’Envers that I told you about earlier.[/B]” Adrian looked over briefly at Astera as she settled back down on his left shoulder, his mouth set in a straight line.

“[B]When Nathan and I first went to meet him, his goons took our things from us and didn’t return them until right before we left. It’s the only time someone else had my cell phone.[/B]” A fresh wave of anger threatened to surface. Adrian ruthlessly crushed it; he couldn’t afford to be angry, not when he was certain his first impression upon meeting Victor was correct. Friendly or not, he had been certain back then that Victor was more than capable of dealing with someone like him, as much as it galled him to admit it.

“[B]So this Victor L’Envers knows the whole story or rather everything that was said within the vicinity of your cell phone.[/B]”

“[B]Yes, that includes the details of our encounter with the Count, as well as the life bond… and even about you as well.[/B]”

Gavrie seemed unconcerned as he finally took a seat next to Adrian. “[B]It can’t be helped, that sort of thing is going to happen, no matter how hard you try to keep something a secret, someone eventually finds out.[/B]”

“[B]But he’s a vampire![/B]” Adrian objected.

“[B]So what if he is? It still matters not.[/B]” He grasped his chin with his right hand, looking out to the field in thought. “[B]I can’t say that I know the name either.[/B]” He looked back to Adrian and Astera, “[B]the real question is what you plan on doing about it.[/B]”

“[B]Nothing,[/B]” Adrian said bitterly, getting up to stalk off a bit, coming to a halt, facing the training area. “[B]I... I couldn’t even stop three of his underlings - if Nathan hadn’t shown up…[/B]”

Adrian turned to face Gavrie when he grasped his right shoulder firmly before letting go once he had his attention. “[B]Good,[/B]” he favored him with a half smile.

“[B]Good? What’s good about it?[/B]”

“[B]I didn’t have to stop you from doing something really stupid, that’s what.[/B]” Gavrie gently shoved him towards the training area. “[B]Now, back to what’s really important, and that’s your training.[/B]” He mock sighed dramatically.

“[B]You’re about as graceful as a block of cement falling to the ground, powerful, but sorely lacking.[/B]” Gavrie grinned inwardly at Adrian’s semi indignant expression. “[B]That second scythe of yours is a crutch; making you woefully inadequate in so many ways.[/B]”

“[B]Thanks a lot.[/B]” Adrian returned sarcastically.

“[B]You’re welcome,[/B]” Gavrie returned without skipping a beat. “[B]Now for the next part of your lesson, Karl will be taking you back down to the very basics, starting with unarmed combat. Once we get that drilled into you we’ll move to one scythe and then finally to two.[/B]”

“[B]You want me to do that right now?[/B]” Adrian pulled up short of entering the training area.

“[B]Yes now,[/B]” Gavrie gave him an amused grin. “[B]If you had enough energy to get [I]that [/I]angry, you have more than enough for simple exercises and stretches.[/B]”

Adrian turned to face him as Astera took off to perch on one of the wooden posts. [I]But… I’m still sore![/I] However the look in both Gavrie’s and Karl’s eyes told him that there would be no getting out of another session just because he was still recovering from the last time.

Karl had already switched back to human form by the time he entered the training area, a sardonic grin on his face. "[B]No enemy is going to care if you're tired or sore from a previous battle.[/B]"

All Adrian could think about as he waited for Karl to explain what they would be doing next was to wonder how long or if he’d ever reach a point where he wasn’t sore. [I]This is what you wanted fool,[/I] he chided himself. [I]So stop complaining![/I] [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][B]Stepping Stones[/B][/CENTER]
Alex hadn?t really known what to expect, but he wasn?t going to argue with the methods or how Nathan chose to go about helping him with training. He was simply relieved that he was willing to actually help him, he had been worried that Nathan would not. It had been bothering him tremendously, the thought of being stuck without a means to learn more. He was still wondering why the higher ups had bothered to send them after an opponent they were not ready to face. Had they been counting on Nathan to deal with any problems? If so, it seemed foolhardy to Alex. There was no point in having them work together if only one member of the team understood the dangers and how to deal with them.

He put it out of mind as he followed Nathan?s instructions, only asking questions when he needed clarification. Much of it he didn't fully understand but at the same time, he imagined it was something that would take more than just a simple session. He focused so intently on what Nathan was teaching him that Alex didn?t even notice when Nall slipped off to follow Isen. He was too busy making sure he got what Nathan was showing him correctly. The idea of being in the same position as before, unprepared, was one he never wanted to face again, [I]ever[/I]. Time passed though he gave it no thought, not even to check to see if he had any new assignments.

It wasn?t until they were finally wrapping up and he realized that Isen had returned that he remembered he needed to check for new assignments, something he paused to do quickly. Fortunately, nothing had come up and he sent off a query asking for his schedule for the next couple of weeks before he closed his cell and tucked it back into his pocket. If he was going to be training, Nathan would need that information. Alex looked back up at Nathan and then stared in shock at the young woman who was standing next to him. [I]What?? [/I]The aura was unmistakable, it [I]was [/I]Isen but? He knew he was staring and yet he couldn?t seem to help it. [I]When did she change into...[/I]

?[B]You?re being rude Alex,[/B]? Nall chided him softly as he landed on his left shoulder. ?[B]You?d think you?ve never seen a werecat in their human form before.[/B]?

Alex glanced briefly at Nall and then back to Nathan and Isen. It was true though, he hadn?t. Now that he thought about it he knew it was possible, but he?d never had a reason to think about it beyond the few times it had come up. It didn?t help that those instances were long before he had even become a Shinigami. The few times he had run across Nathan and Isen, she had always been in her feline form. He looked directly at Nathan but he just seemed amused by his dumbfounded expression more than anything, while Isen was merely waiting calmly as if nothing was amiss.

?[B]Uh? as soon as I have my schedule I?ll send you a copy so you can decide what time works best?[/B]? He ventured hesitantly.

?[B]You do that.[/B]?

?[B]Right, I guess I should get going then, Patrick?s probably back by now and I?m sure he?s wondering where I?m at.[/B]? Though Alex found himself wishing that Patrick wasn?t wondering as to what he was up to. He was sure that he was though; Patrick had always been the curious type, at least for the surface appearance as to what people were up to.

[I]I need to convince him to find his own place. [/I]Though he wasn?t sure why, he just got the feeling that Patrick would not understand, just as he also got the feeling that he would be a bit of a pain to deal with, as uncharitable as those thoughts were.

Alex was wondering what else to say and finally gave up, ?[B]Thank you.[/B]? He finally said formally to Nathan before also nodding politely to Isen, with a tiny inward sigh he turned and took to the air, immediately angling towards his place. He was too caught up in his thoughts to even think about his usual pastime of checking into human forms of entertainment.

The main thought on his mind as he was heading back was to concentrate on what Nathan had shown him so far; just as he wondered what else he would teach him. Once he had his schedule he would send it to Nathan. He was halfway back when he realized that he had forgotten to mention to Nathan that he could now sense vampires in the city. Alex made a mental note to make sure he brought it up next time.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][B]Black Box[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Lucia had felt no regret at leaving almost immediately after Phaidra had arrived, barely taking the time to make sure she understood what she would be doing when she sent someone on their way to the next level of existence. Deep down she knew that her arrival and the time spent getting her settled in was nothing, but that part of her that resented how her time as a whole had been taken from her couldn?t help but find it annoying. It wasn?t the newcomer?s fault but Lucia still found it frustrating, something Ruby picked up on as she always did.

?[B]You could be a little nicer you know.[/B]? She chided from her position on Lucia?s right shoulder. ?[B]Phaidra isn?t the one who decides where she?ll work or who is assigned to help her settle in after all.[/B]?

Lucia sighed a little, ?[B]I know.[/B]? Though regardless of that fact, she was never social to begin with, spending decades and even centuries at time caught up in her research. To have it forced on her to some extent was? irritating. If she wanted it she would have actively sought it. [I]Why should I have to socialize with others when I don?t want to be here in the first place?[/I] Even the more reserved Adrian was far more social than she was.

In the end, she did not understand the need that others seemed to have for talking with humans or with others of their own race. Lucia buried that line of thinking since it always lead to thoughts about how much she disliked how her life was now. Instead she focused on what she was doing and that was retrieving some of the material that her own communicator was made from. She didn?t need much, but if she was going to build what she wanted for the lab, some would be necessary.

A few minutes before she was finished a soft chime sounded resulting in Lucia pausing to see what the message was. There were two of them, one giving her the schedule of her work and the second was from Nathan. She didn?t have the information for the project she would be working on for the humans yet, but that did not matter. Lucia took a moment to review the schedule in her mind and then composed a brief message to send back to Nathan, letting him know that she would be free all evening. Then, she sent it off to Nathan before turning to finish gathering what she came for.

Once that was tucked into the small pouch she had brought with her she took off, ghosting through the obstacles in her path and then once clear, she made for the city at top speed. Lucia was tempted to use a shortcut but the fuss wasn?t worth it, not when it wouldn?t save her enough time to really matter. That and dropping off the radar, even if only for a few seconds, would bring her keeper down on her again. She?d rather lose the time than have to deal with [I]that[/I] twit again.

?[B]You?re going to get rid of Phaidra as soon as possible aren?t you?[/B]? Ruby accused.

?[B]What are you talking about? She needs her own place.[/B]?

Ruby snorted. ?[B]In other words?[/B]? She switched to a high pitched insulting screech. ?[B]I can?t stand being around others! They should have assigned her to someone else! It?s a waste of my time![/B]?

?[B]Now you?re just being rude Ruby.[/B]? Lucia gave her a sharp look of irritation. ?[B]It?s practical for both of us to have our own work space. Besides, if you really want someone to talk with, you?ve never hesitated to go and pester Alex and Nall or the others too.[/B]?

?[B]I?m not the one who needs to lighten up a little,[/B]? Ruby hunched down a tiny bit. ?[B]It?s not good for you to spend all your time alone brooding over everything.[/B]?

Lucia turned her attention back to where they were going as they came to the outer city limits. She had never needed it before so why would she need that contact now? [I]Sometimes you make no sense at all Ruby.[/I] The thought was pushed aside as she got closer to her own place, after all, in her own way Ruby did care for her wellbeing and that was more than enough in Lucia?s mind.

A moment later and the two had ghosted through the door to her place only to come up short at an unexpected change. Her brow furrowed, Lucia paused, wondering what could have happened to make her place smell like freshly baked cake of all things. [I]What in the world?[/I] Before she could do more than take a single step in the direction of the doors leading to the kitchen area, they opened to the sight of Phaidra herself carrying a tray laden with the items in question.

?[B]Oh![/B]? Phaidra exclaimed upon seeing the two. ?[B]You?re just in time for some tea and cakes.[/B]? She smiled winsomely at both of them. ?[B]Care to join me out on the balcony?[/B]?

For the longest moment the two just stared at each other until Ruby snorted in Lucia?s ear and took off to hover in front of Phaidra who was starting to look a tiny bit worried.

?[B]Don?t mind her,[/B]? Ruby indicated Lucia with a roll of her eyes. ?[B]She may be a stick in the mud but I love cake![/B]?

?[B]Ruby...[/B]? Lucia started to speak but Ruby just cut her off again.

?[B]Come on! Let?s go![/B]? She said brightly to Phaidra, ?[B]You?ll get use to her after a while.[/B]?

Lucia just closed her mouth, saying nothing else. [I]Why am I even surprised or bothered?[/I] She wondered. [I]I never use the kitchen anyway[/I]. Still, as she watched Ruby head out for the balcony, chatting like a little mad thing with Phaidra and Sarvel in tow, the thought crossed her mind to wonder if being alone and brooding all the time, as Ruby put it, really [I]was [/I]bad for her. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Echelon

"Tsis is not good news."

The blonde vampire drummed his fingers on the consoleâ??a nervous habit he unconsciously slipped into when something disquieted him.

"How old is tsis information?" he asked, his cheek resting on the palm of his other hand. "How long have you been aware of tsis?"

"Just this morning," came the somber reply. "It was piggy-backed on a routine Georgian assignment list, too. I contacted you as soon as I intercepted." The voice hesitated. "You are awareâ??"

"Poignantly," Victor said firmly. He leaned into the seat's back and crossed his arms, studying the edge of the counter. A sigh escaped his lips. "I wass not expecting tsis. Not at all."

"I wasn't either. None of us were. And honestly, there's not much anyone can do about it right now, but forewarned...."

Victor sighed again. "Forewarned indeed. I shall have to press forward wiss tsat in mind, tsen.

"But," he continued, rising, "I have tsomeone else I must meet tsis evening, and it would be terribly rude to keep her waiting. I tsank you for tse news, bad as it may be, but I must take my leave now." He leaned forward and struck a key. "Au revoir, mon ami."

"Goodbye, old friend."

The display switched to black, and Victor straightened and left the room.
Edited by Allamorph

[FONT="Tahoma"][CENTER][B]Home?[/B][/CENTER]
Phaidra had not expected to get such a strange response from Lucia over her using her kitchen to make some cakes and tea. Usually, other than an initial response of surprise, people were pleased with it. But this utter silence that was finally broken by her familiar was a bit unsettling and confusing.

How could a familiar and their partner be so totally different? She had barely met her but Lucia was so withdrawn, hardly saying anything other than to explain things, while Ruby was very hospitable and social; making her feel welcome. It was so different from the utterly jarring effect of her partner’s silence.

Even when Lucia finally joined them out on the balcony, accepting some of the tea and cakes she had made, the conversation was so short and to the point it still felt uncomfortable. [I]I guess I won’t be talking with her very much,[/I] which was an odd feeling; Phaidra was not use to dealing with others who were so reserved.

“[B]What kind of place did you wish to look for?[/B]” The question came out of nowhere, startling Phaidra a bit at it's suddenness.

Phaidra set the little plate she had been holding down on the small table between the chairs they were sitting on. “[B]Do you mean for where I will be staying?[/B]”

Lucia nodded. “[B]There is no rush, but knowing what you want will make it easier to search for a place that will suit your needs.[/B]”

“[B]Hmmm.[/B]” Phaidra looked to Sarvel who cocked her head to the side and shrugged. “[B]Probably something similar to what you have.[/B]” She was too busy running it through her mind to notice Lucia’s look of surprise.

“[B]I like to cook so a professional kitchen is a must.[/B]” She looked back at Lucia, “[B]I also intend to work on arcane circle designs so having an open space like you do would be ideal.[/B]”

“[B]Arcane circle designs?[/B]”

“[B]Yes, if I’m to adapt or make changes so arcane circles will work more effectively on Earth, then that has to be done here. Theoretical work back home just isn’t the same, you have to test it.[/B]”

“[B]You’re a studier of magic?[/B]”

“[B]Yes.[/B]” Phaidra watched on as Lucia pulled out the strange device she had used earlier. [I]What in the world is that? It doesn’t look like human technology.[/I] But then the question was lost as Lucia started asking her questions, firing them off rapidly as to actual dimensions for the amount of open space she would want. Then she moved to specifies for any equipment she would want in a professional kitchen, before she finally put the device away.

“[B]Tomorrow we’ll look into finding what you need. For now though I’m going to ask you to not create any form of circle here. Some of the material I work with is spiritually receptive. It is shielded, but it would be better to avoid any accidental reactions between the two.[/B]”

“[B]Of course, I... I wasn’t planning on it.[/B]” She stood up, gathering the dishes to take back into the kitchen to clean up; leaving Sarvel and Ruby out on the balcony as the two were discussing different types of fish and just which was the tastiest.

It didn’t take her long to clean things up and carefully put everything away, she had been doing that for quite a long time too. The little bite sized squares of cake carefully put into air tight containers that were stacked in the fridge and the rest of the dishes were carefully stored away once they had been cleaned.

Phaidra was heading back out to the main room of Lucia’s place when the unmistakable aura of another Shinigami could be felt coming toward them. [I]Who?[/I] She turned to ask Lucia who was coming only to see her getting up from where she had been sitting at a computer terminal. Lucia seemed unconcerned and merely waited for whoever it was to knock at her door before moving to answer it.

Phaidra watched as Lucia opened it to admit two strange individuals, or rather one, a Shinigami who not only was his hair and eyes blue, but every stitch of clothing he wore other than a spot or two was some eye glaring shade of blue. The woman had to be one of the species who served as familiars for the Shinigami; her aura was clearly that of one of the races capable of switching between forms based on their species.

It was a little odd to see a werecat running around in human form, at least for Phaidra that is. The few she had run across had always been in their feline form. She had an elegant beauty about her and moved with an unconscious grace, her eyes taking everything in as she casually looked around at their surroundings. Her left hand resting casually on the hilt of the Katana she was wearing. Now that was interesting, a familiar with a weapon? [I]I wonder if she knows how to use it.[/I] Her movements were certainly comfortable as if she did.

Phaidra realized that she was staring rather rudely at the pair when Lucia, who had started off on something she apparently wished to discuss with Nathan, seemed to finally remember that she was even there and took a brief moment to introduce her and Sarvel; who along with Ruby had come back inside.

“[B]She was just assigned to the city earlier today,[/B]” Lucia was saying to Nathan, the blue one and Isen, his familiar.

“[B]Uh…[/B]” Phaidra felt a little uncomfortable as all eyes were cast in her direction, just as she realized that it was clear the two had business to discuss that did not include her. “[B]It seems that I’m interrupting, but before I get out of the way, would the two of you care for some tea and cake? I made it only a little while ago so it’s still fresh.[/B]”[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][SIZE="2"][B]Ambuscade[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Gavrie had left Astera sitting on one of the wooden posts for the fence surrounding the training area, it wasn?t often he had visitors, let alone so many in such a short time frame. There was no mistaking the aura of the one coming in, though it was tightly wrapped and concealed from anyone but him.[I] Just what are you after?[/I] Karl glanced in his direction briefly at the change in his stance and then went back to what he was doing.

He strolled back up to the veranda surrounding the small home, picking a seat that was shaded and then waited patiently for his visitor to show up.[I] Let?s see in three, two, one and? [/I]with a tiny shift in spiritual energy the other was simply there, sitting casually in the seat next to him as they had been there all along. Gavrie just sighed out loud.

?[B]One of these days - just walk up and say hello like a normal person.[/B]? He turned to look at the Reaper who had come to visit, his aura still tightly wrapped up around him, cloaking his presence from both Adrian and Astera.

?[B]What are you here for? You know I?ve taken leave and I?ve got someone I?m training and testing.[/B]? He indicated the training area where Karl was working with Adrian.

?[B]True,[/B]? the other turned to watch, crossing his legs as he leaned back, tilting his head to the side as he observed the training going on, both of them sitting there for a while as Karl took Adrian quickly though one form and then another, only taking long enough to ensure that Adrian got each one down correctly before moving to the next.

?[B]Looks to me that you could easily leave for a few weeks without disrupting the training,[/B]? He turned to face Gavrie again. ?[B]He is remarkably quick when it comes to learning, but you and I both know that even if he?s suitable, you?ll be at this for well over a decade at least.[/B]?

Gavrie shrugged, ?[B]True, but the agreement did not include me running off to take care of odds and ends for you while I was in the middle of training.[/B]? He leaned back, reaching up to place his hands behind his head. ?[B]Find someone else, it?s not like you don?t have plenty of qualified contacts you can call on.[/B]?

The other Shinigami tossed his cell to Gavrie who lazily reached out with his right hand to catch it before it could land in his lap. He looked to the other Reaper, his right eyebrow raised questioningly.

?[B]Go ahead; the details of what I?d like you to take care of are in the first message.[/B]?

Gavrie ran his forefinger along the front cover of the cell, contemplating tossing it back instead of opening it and then with an inward sigh, flicked it open. A moment later to access the message in question and then he sat up straight upon reading the content.

?[B]I thought I told you to not trust that fool.[/B]? He admonished as he closed the cell phone and tossed it back to it's owner.

?[B]You did, but I was not the one to make the final decision, you know that Gavrie.[/B]? He chided him. ?[B]I could send someone else as you put it, but you and I both know that the others aren?t up to the task.[/B]?

Silence hung between the two as they both watched the training session for a while, Gavrie contemplating while the other merely waited as if he didn't have a care in the world. It would mean going to Earth for a few weeks, but his visitor was right, it wouldn't affect training at all, not at this stage.

?[B]Fine, I?ll tend to it, but make no mistake.[/B]? He stood up, facing the other Shinigami, ?[B]Once training has begun in earnest I won?t accept [I]any[/I] assignment.[/B]?

?[B]Well now,[/B]? his visitor stood up as well. ?[B]You?ve only just started with that one and you?re already certain he?ll be suitable?[/B]? He stared at him as if searching for something and then smiled. ?[B]No matter, I?ve always known that you have a list of who?s suitable that's separate from what you actually hand over. Considering recent events, it's no surprise that you've chosen to test[I] that [/I]one.[/B]?

?[B]And you my friend are done here.[/B]? Gavrie reminded him.

?[B]So I am,[/B]? He bowed slightly, almost mockingly, and then left; only a whisper of his aura remaining before fading altogether.

Gavrie waited awhile, watching the training before finally heading back to join the group when the lesson was starting to come to an end. He smiled a bit at the thought that Adrian was bound to be unhappy about being left with Karl for training; even if it was only for a short while. He was not use to being treated with a certain amount of contempt and disdain.

[I]It will be good for him, to get that from someone who will not respond to any immature outbursts[/I]. Not that he was expecting any, but still, Karl would make sure any impatient or reckless moves on Adrian's part would be carefully dealt with. For that kind of lesson, Karl was a better teacher than he was.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][B]Eden Echo[/B][/CENTER]
It didn?t take Patrick too long to finish up with the assignments he had gotten. The human world may have changed since he had last been there, but the process of releasing their souls had not. Just as there was no real change in their ability to sense or manipulate their own spiritual energy. [I]That kind of growth would take far more than a few centuries. It sure has changed a lot otherwise though, [/I]he thought as he continued to sit on the edge of one of the taller buildings in the middle of the city.

?[B]Do we have to get our own place?[/B]? Terry whined a bit, still disgruntled that Patrick had told them earlier that they would be hunting for their own living space.

?[B]Of course, otherwise all you?ll do is annoy Alex and Nall to death if we stay with them for any length of time.[/B]? Patrick explained as Terry just snorted in disgust at the statement, even if it was true. ?[B]Besides, gathering the information we are supposed to will be a bit troublesome if the boy is around.[/B]?

?[B]I still don?t like it.[/B]? Terry objected once again.

?[B]Oh get over it Terry,[/B]? Fiero snipped. ?[B]Work is more important?[/B]?

?[B]Don?t you start sounding like you?re any better?[/B]? Terry interrupted.

?[B]Not now you two,[/B]? Patrick chided, heading off the argument that was beginning to start. ?[B]You?ll have plenty of time to see both of them so how about you focus on what?s different here instead?[/B]?

He turned his attention back to watching the hustle in the human city, tuning out Terry and Fiero who were still semi arguing among themselves. The changes in the human world was going to make what he was supposed to do a little more challenging. It would require taking some time to learn about and understand how those changes worked for the humans and from the look of things, it was a lot. [I]It?s a pity their spiritual growth doesn?t work like this.[/I] The technological change since his last visit was almost startling. [I]I should have kept up on this. [/I]

The day started to come to an end before he finally felt the presence of Alex returning from wherever it was that he had gotten off to. Considering the sheer size of the city compared to how things were the last time he had been on Earth, it would be much simpler to get Alex to help him hunt down a place to stay. It would also make things much easier if he also got him to help by explaining how things worked. He could figure it out on his own; it would just be quicker the other way.

?[B]Come on you two, time to head back,[/B]? Patrick got up to head for Alex?s apartment now that he was returning. ?[B]Schedule permitting we?ll start looking for our own place tomorrow.[/B]?

?[B]I still object.[/B]? Terry snuck in as the trio headed for Alex?s place.

Patrick just smiled and said nothing. Once Terry got it into his head to object to something there was no persuading him otherwise. He was more concerned with becoming familiar with the differences to the human world in addition to taking care of what he was supposed to. If anything, at least the process would keep him from being frustrated with being on Earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopelessly Human / Mr. Talkbox Interlude

The Reaper was taken aback for a moment; he almost hadn't noticed the woman wall-flowering across the room, and Lucia's introduction had been brusque and rather cursory. It almost seemed that she had gone out of her way to try and avoid the task.

Not that Nathan was at all surprised.

Phaidra was a fair height and a moderately slender build, her physique accented by her smart attire, an olive-green high-collar blouse, matching ankle-length skirt, and a six-button double-breasted white blazer with gold trim. The jacket's length and proportions gave it the appearance of a glorified laboratory coat. At her neck hung a blue silk tie knotted in a slim half-Windsor, and Nathan took particular notice of the long gold tassel that fell from her left collar button. He also caught sight of a light trace of white dust along the inner part of her right shirt cuff; probably flour residue. Most people rolled their sleeves up while cooking, so she had likely been quite industrious in Lucia's kitchen to get dust up so high. Nathan chuckled inwardly at the thought.

Her smooth features were refined and rather friendly at the moment, though Nathan guessed that they could easily change to intense fascination and excitement given the right opportunity. Long black bangs fell gracefully to either side of her face, masking her high brow, and the rest of her black hair was tied back with a large bronze-colored ribbon and still managed to fall almost below her hips.

–Oi, women and their long hair lately, Nathan thought, glancing at Lucia's massive tresses and recalling Astera's natural blanket of hair. –Seems to be getting popular this side of dead.

The ribbon, combined with the rimless oval glasses resting on Phaidra's nose, completed the professional atmosphere she seemed to carry with her. Nathan noticed an odd pair of creases in the inside elbow of her left sleeve: two parallel lines running exactly with the joint, most likely due to long hours holding a notebook or clipboard or some such object tucked into her arm. She was a researcher, then, or a scientist, or a student of something. Her posture projected an air of confidence, despite her current hesitant display, meaning she was either very good at what she did, or she intended to be.

It also meant she had very little field experience. Oh well. That stuck him and Adrian—and eventually Alex—on frontline duty when the next major confrontation arose. He had been wrong before, though, so she might be fairly good after all ... and even if he was right, it didn't mean she was useless.

Before he had a chance to reply to her offer, Lucia cleared her throat. –Figures.

"Nathan, I really don't think–?"

"Rubbish," Nathan interrupted. "I see nothing wrong with a small appetizer ... eh, Isen?" A faint smirk crept onto his companion's face.

Lucia crossed her arms and fixed Nathan with an impatient stare. "I believe our time would be put to much better use if we simply got to the business at hand," she said flatly.

Nathan matched her stance. "Lucia," he rejoined, "we have all eternity to exchange information with each other."

"Well, almost eternity," he corrected. "But still.  It's a long time. And first impressions only come once, so I like to grab them when I can."

Lucia huffed, but said nothing.

"Now then," Nathan continued pleasantly, turning his attention to the other woman, "despite appearances, I am very pleased to meet you, and would be happy to take you up on your offer."

"As would I," added Isen, stepping forward. â??If you would like any assistance....â?�

â??Oh! Thank you,â?� Phaidra said, smiling quickly. â??Iâ??ll be fine. But,â?� she went on hesitantly, â??if Lucia doesnâ??t think itâ??s appropriate, thenâ??â?�

Nathan grinned. â??Nonsense. Itâ??ll be fine. And donâ??t mind her too much,â?� he said as he leaned forward, his voice dropping to a loud stage whisper. â??Sheâ??s a bit crusty.â?�

An indignant shout came from behind him, and Isen smirked and shook her head.

----------------------

â??You said this was your first time in Mortality?â?� Nathan asked, taking another swallow of his tea: black, the leaves from India, though he couldnâ??t place the exact type. Nice, but he preferred the Southern orange-pekoe traditional and its trademark sweetness. Gods, he had been on this planet a long time.

â??Yes,â?� Phaidra answered, â??why?â?�

â??Oh, no reason,â?� said Nathan. He leaned back into the rough cushions of the couch, setting his cup on his already empty plate. â??Only, so far as Iâ??ve tasted, your handle on human cuisine is very good. I wasnâ??t aware they kept records of human recipes back home, though.â?�

â??Thank you; they didnâ??t, for a while. The collection was started by me and a few friends, but Iâ??ve done most of the keeping-up with it, and I have requested the odd collection book from time to time. Lately theyâ??re brought back by people who come back and forth regularly.â?�

â??Really,â?� commented Nathan. â??Odd. Theyâ??ve started working people in shifts? Hunh. â??So aside from your culinary interests, what do you study for fourteen hours a day?â?�

â??Iâ??m sorry?â?� Phaidra sent the Reaper a confused look. â??I donâ??t remember saying....â?�

â??You didnâ??t,â?� said Isen, selecting a second serving. â??He notices things: your appearance, your stance; little things. Youâ??ll get used to it.â?�

â??Oh....â?� Phaidra still seemed perplexed, but she continued on. â??My work is based primarily in magic, and the design and refinement of arcane circles.â?� Nathan looked up as she spoke. â??I donâ??t spend quite that much time one it,â?� she smiled, â??but I do have several centuries experience in the field.â?�

â??You donâ??t say,â?� Nathan remarked, intrigued. â??About how many centuries would we be talking about?â?�

â??Well, Iâ??m not sure how long relatively itâ??s been over here, but Iâ??ve been engaged in that field for close to nine or ten back across the Gate. Iâ??ve had a request to come across to further my studies submitted for some time now, and it just went through recently.â?�

Nathan nodded appreciatively. â??Cool,â?� he said. He grinned. â?? â??Bout time we had a good arcanist around here.â?� He leaned forward and picked up his cup again. â??You may find your talents put to use before long.â?�

â??How interesting,â?� said Isen abruptly, as if something had just occurred to her. â??Death Cake.â?�

Nathan almost passed tea through his nose.

Edited by Allamorph

[FONT="Tahoma"][CENTER][B]Death Cake?[/B][/CENTER]
It was a little startling at how easily this Nathan picked up on things, at least to determine something so specific as to realize that she was studying in the first place. She wondered just what about her appearance or manner gave that away. She certainly hadn?t said anything that would have given that away; or had she? Phaidra put it out of mind and paid attention to the conversation instead, to pick up on what she could about Nathan and Isen.

She tried to pay attention to Lucia?s reactions as well since other than a few odd looks, she remained oddly quiet through most of the brief exchange. That of course had Phaidra wondering if it merely was just a desire to be alone or something more. Most people she knew were not so closed mouthed, to the point, and well? rude. It made her wonder if other than to take care of her duties as a Reaper; she never did much of anything with humans or others of her kind.

Reluctantly Phaidra finally stood up, reaching for the dishes to take them into the kitchen and deal with them. Lucia made her feel so uneasy where chatting with both Nathan and Isen made her feel the exact opposite. She was already sorry that the short time conversing was coming to a close. Phaidra was brought back to what she was doing when Isen took the initiative and picked up hers and Nathan?s dishes, as if expected, while Nathan engaged Sarvel in conversation as the two of them headed to the kitchen.

?[B]So Sarvel, is this your first time in mortality as well?[/B]?

Phaidra only caught the edge of her initial yes to the question before the door leading to the kitchen area closed behind her and Isen. ?[B]That?s really not necessary,[/B]? she said with a smile, indicating the dishes.

?[B]Nonsense,[/B]? Isen replied firmly as she took all of the dishes from Phaidra before she could object. It was clear that she was no stranger to a kitchen since within a few minutes, Isen had them all taken care of, only pausing to hand them over to her to be put away when done.

Phaidra was a bit hesitant to continue the conversation, even if it had been rather pleasant. She was a guest at Lucia?s place after all and continuing to do so could be considered rude. She was about to indicate that they should head back to the main room so she could take Sarvel and go and check out the city, when a thought crossed her mind.

With a smile she opened the fridge and pulled out one of the containers with the already prepared cake inside it. She closed the door and before Isen could wonder what she was up to, Phaidra firmly placed it into her hands.

?[B]Take that with you, I?ve more than enough and I?m sure you and Nathan would enjoy having it for tomorrow.?[/B]

Isen just nodded her thanks and the two went back out into the main room just as Sarvel was finishing up a bit on how Phaidra focused on offensive magic and she on the defensive side of it in their studies. Lucia was still sitting to the side and being impassively quiet, giving little to no input into the conversation at all. As if picking up on what she was thinking, Sarvel stood up and motioned politely to both Nathan and Isen before hoping down to the floor to walk over to where Phaidra was standing next to Isen.

?[B]It was a pleasure to meet both of you,[/B]? she said formally. ?[B]If you?ll be so kind as to excuse us, Phaidra and I were planning on taking a moment to check out the city a bit more.[/B]?[/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][B][SIZE="3"]Always On Call[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
Lucia briefly lost her focus on the current conversation upon hearing that not only had Phaidra wanted to come to Earth to do research, but that her request had been granted. It was absurd really, that she was denied that when others were obviously accommodated when it came to doing what they wanted to. For the briefest moment she had the desire to head back and demand an answer and only the fact that previous attempts had been ruthlessly crushed stopped her.

Instead she did what she always did; put it aside as best as she could since there was no point in dwelling on it. There was nothing she could do, just as there would be no point in discussing it with the others. She had made that mistake in the beginning, attempting to find some form of recourse. That had resulted in those who had considered assisting her being told to mind their own business.

With a start she realized that both Phaidra and Sarvel were leaving and she hastily brought her thoughts back to the reason why she wanted to talk to Nathan in the first place. Lucia did her best to be as expressionless as possible though she got the impression that Nathan missed nothing.

?[B]So,[/B]? he finally asked once Phaidra and Sarvel had left. ?[B]What exactly were you in such a hurry to discuss?[/B]?

Lucia wondered briefly yet again if her impatience had done more harm than good and yet at the same time, she wasn?t very good at reading others intent or body language. So she did as she always did and simply moved straight to what she wanted to ask him.

?[B]I wanted to ask you about this,[/B]? she moved to where the computer she had was set up, sending out the tiny trace of spiritual energy necessary to turn on the six by six picture hanging on her wall, activating the screen. Within mere seconds it responded to her also sending the data she had gotten from her scans at the Count?s mansion.

The image was split among three sections, the first one on the left was that of the actual room where all of them had been caught in the trap before they had gotten to the Count. The image was far from pretty since it was one of the blood splatters and ribbons of flesh that were spread out on the floor. The middle section was a compilation of the actual data, a summary based on what she had been able to determine from the information gained from the scans.

The final section on the right was a simulation of what had happened that she had prepared in an attempt to fill in the gaps, it was not complete in that it only showed the patterns that matched up with the data, but it was clear what it was supposed to represent. She waited briefly for Nathan and Isen to take in what was on the screen before she continued.

?[B]I?ve checked and re-checked the information from the scans I got at the mansion,[/B]? she paused to fold her arms when Nathan turned to look at her. ?[B]No Shinigami is capable of moving at that speed, at least not that I?m aware of.[/B]? Nathan just looked amused so Lucia pressed on.

?[B]Obviously you can since you did so to take my communicator briefly, but that?s not the point here. The problem with the information is that blood splatters though useful in determining what happened are only good up to a certain point. With each blow, more is sent out based on the speed, direction and type of hit. The more there is, the more the original pattern is corrupted by the next spray of blood.[/B]?

?[B]You don?t say.[/B]? Nathan remarked casually.

Lucia reached over and picked up a small little scanner off the desk, holding it up between her and Nathan, waiting for him to take it, ?[B]I wanted to ask you if you would be willing to use this and record that move that you did that resulted in your opponent being reduced to ribbons. I already have most of the data from studying the results, but I?d like to fill in the gaps.[/B]?

Instead of answering immediately Nathan folded his arms and gave her what seemed like an odd look to her as he considered her request. ?[B]Why?[/B]? He finally spoke.

She was pretty certain that he didn?t need an answer but considering what she was asking it was only fair to give him one. ?[B]I?m sure I don?t have to tell you just how stupid that whole affair with the Count was.[/B]? He nodded in agreement to the statement.

?[B]Sending all of us on a mission where only one of us had any clue about what was going on? It was almost as if the Council didn?t care if Aeru was rescued or if any of us died. Other than yourself, none of us knew anything about vampires; the whole thing was utterly stupid and pointless. Especially when I find it hard to believe that the Council knew nothing about the fact that vampires are still around.[/B]?

Movement from the simulation on the screen reminded her that it was still on, prompting Lucia to send a trace of energy to shut it off before continuing. ?[B]In addition to gathering more data on what Reapers are capable of, since the Count was able to move quicker as well, I intend to track down information about vampires and their abilities here on Earth.[/B]?

Lucia scoffed a bit, ?[B]It's my intent to learn more so we're not so ill-prepared should another issue like that comes up. I have no desire to be sent on another suicide mission like that. We may be eternal, but it doesn?t mean we can?t die and I already know that the Council can?t be relied on to give us any information at all.[/B]?

Having warmed up to her subject, Lucia completely missed how Nathan slightly raised one of his eyebrows at her last statement. She was too caught up in what she was interested in discussing at that point becoming more animated as she paced a bit and then caught herself doing it before she stopped; looking to Nathan who was checking out the small scanner she had given him.

?[B]I take it that this only gathers the information and nothing else?[/B]?

?[B]Correct.[/B]? Lucia confirmed.

Nathan looked up, ?[B]that?s too bad.[/B]?

She tilted her head to the side a bit, wondering if he was serious or not. ?[B]If you?re interested in a communicator like mine, I can make you one. It wouldn?t take me very long.[/B]? Lucia finally offered.

Their discussion was interrupted by a chime indicating she had a message, frowning she paused to take a look and then shake her head at what it said. "[B]They always seem to excel at picking the worst times.[/B]" She tucked the communicator into her tunic.

"[B]Whether or not you help me with the scan, I'd still make you a communicator if you wished it. Just give me a couple of weeks and I'll have one ready for you[/B]."

"[B]Alright,[/B]" Nathan replied with his usual grin. "[B]In the mean time it seems that you have other business.[/B]"

"[B]Yes,[/B]" she replied, not bothering to hide the irritation in her voice. "[B]They enjoy springing sudden assignments on me in addition to my regular schedule.[/B]" She moved to leave and then stopped and turned back. "[B]I'll send you a message once I have the communicator ready.[/B]" And then, before she would add something else on that she would regret saying, she left.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]The Other Side[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B]
Normally a Shinigami did not require sleep, their bodies in tune with the spiritual energy needed to keep them in top form, making sleep unnecessary. It didn?t mean that they couldn?t be pushed beyond even their own ability to sustain awareness. Something Adrian had found out after the battle with the Count, he had literally been unable to stay awake. And now, after two grueling workouts with Karl nearly back to back, he was finding that he may as well sleep since he was too tired, sore and worn out to do anything else.

He had still fought it until Astera had given him the equivalent of a mental whack, practically ordering him to rest. When he got back up a few hours later he had been surprised to realize that Gavrie was gone. Adrian was wondering where he could have gone when Astera came sailing into the room.

[B][I]-Karl is waiting for you outside.-[/I][/B]

[B][I]-Where is Gavrie?-[/I][/B]

Astera shrugged. [B][I]?I don?t know. He left after speaking briefly with Karl.-[/I][/B]

?[B]Lovely,[/B]? Adrian growled as he headed down the hallway into the small kitchen like area before heading out to where Karl was waiting, already in his human form. Astera followed along, taking a seat on one of the wooden posts for the fence.

?[B]It took you long enough to wake up.[/B]? Karl observed as Adrian entered the training area.

Adrian ignored the jab, ?[B]Where did Gavrie go?[/B]?

?[B]It doesn?t matter.[/B]? Karl dodged the question. ?[B]He?ll be back in a few weeks - or longer.[/B]?

?[B]You?re just [I]so[/I] informative.[/B]?

?[B]Glad to hear it.[/B]? Karl smirked a bit.

?[B]Are you always this helpful?[/B]? Adrian couldn?t quite keep the sarcasm out of his voice.

?[B]Of course,[/B]? Karl shot back. ?[B]Now, if you?re done playing twenty - questions - that - won?t - get - answered. You?ve got a lot of work to do.[/B]?

Adrian didn?t bother to ask Astera again, unlike Karl or anyone else he talked to, he would have known if she was hiding anything from him. And realistically, she had no reason to hold anything back. He still wondered where Gavrie had gone though. If only so he?d have a better idea of how long he would be stuck working with Karl.

?[B]Now, stop looking stupid and let?s get started.[/B]?

Adrian crushed the wave of irritation that threatened to surface and moved to do as he was told.

[CENTER]-------------------------[/CENTER]
It had been a while since his last trip to Earth and this time was no different as he slipped through the gate that had been prepared for his trip. Just as he was irritated at the assignment, he was also curious to see what changes had been made since his last visit. Gavrie made a mental note to make sure he checked out some of the teas he enjoyed before heading back. It had been too long since he had done that himself instead of relying on others to acquire it for him.

Then, other than to take note of the fact that he had appeared between two very tall buildings in the middle of a large bustling city, Gavrie ignored his surroundings in favor of pulling out his cell phone to check something. Satisfied with what he read, he closed it and pocketed the device before heading south. He slipped into an invisible state while carefully wrapping his aura tightly about him. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][CENTER][B]Melody of the Wind[/B][/CENTER]
Phaidra did not mind leaving to check out the city while Nathan and Lucia discussed whatever it was they needed to. There was nothing dangerous that she and Sarvel had to worry about when humans couldn?t see them unless they wished it. Unless it was necessary, she had been told during training that for the most part it was best to not associate with humans. They were of course allowed to do as they pleased, to a certain extent that is.

Once she and Sarvel were a few blocks from Lucia?s place they found a spot on one of the shorter buildings where they could sit and watch the humans hurrying about. It was surprisingly busy and rather chaotic the way they went about their business. Many of the humans were out enjoying a late dinner, others doing some shopping while other groups were heading home with the day coming to a close for them.

That was another concept that would take getting use to, the notion that sleep was required. It was odd to realize that they spent a third of their short lifespan in sleep. Shinigami did not require it, though they could sleep if they wished to or needed to; but to actually need sleep was something that rarely happened. Once she had her own place she would have to give it a try to see what it was like.

?[B]I don?t like this place.[/B]? Sarvel stated from her spot where she was sitting on the edge of the building to the right of where Phaidra was also sitting. ?[B]It?s sick.[/B]?

Phaidra just nodded, that too was something their mentor had explained before they left. They had told them that the contamination from human technology was likely to be unsettling to Sarvel. Elementals were highly sensitive to their environment especially when it involved the element that they were; which in her case, was Earth. Though unlike elementals that were not familiars Sarvel would not be adversely affected by it; there were certain advantages to becoming immortal after all.

?[B]We can look for a place on the edge of the city or surrounding countryside if that would make you feel better.[/B]?

?[B]If you don?t mind, I?d prefer it.[/B]?

?[B]Of course I don't mind, it?s not like we need to be within the city limits in order to do our job.[/B]? Phaidra pointed out. ?[B]We can always relocate later if we really have to.[/B]?

Sarvel?s ears twitched a bit in the soft breeze that was blowing from the south, ?[B]Or I can always use my human form if it bothers me too much.[/B]?

?[B]True, but I thought you preferred your current form.[/B]?

?[B]I do, but unless I?m working magic, it doesn?t really matter.?[/B]

Phaidra turned her attention back to the humans who were hurrying about in the city. From the look of things she would be better off staying invisible until she understood how things worked. Sarvel would be staying that way most if not all of the time anyway, there was no reason for anyone to see her and one of the odd customs her mentor had explained was that foxes were not considered domestic. So passing her off as a cat like Lucia did with Ruby wasn't an option.

The longer they were there, the more the flow of humans started to slowly trickle off. By their notion of time it was well after ten o'clock and though there were still plenty of people up and about, the sense of so many souls resting was a feeling that was unmistakable. It made sensing those who were up and about much easier. [I]Interesting.[/I]

?[B]At least the wind has a nice melody.[/B]? Sarvel settled down a bit. ?[B]I don?t like the odd dead spots in the city though. Dead spots shouldn?t be able to move.[/B]?

?[B]What do you mean by dead spots?[/B]?

?[B]There are spots in the city that give off an odd aura as if they would harm life.[/B]? Sarvel shrugged, ?[B]It would be easier to just show you by hunting one down.[/B]?

?[B]Did you want to do that now or later?[/B]?

?[B]Since it?s probably related to that contamination our mentor spoke of, I see no reason to do it now.[/B]? Sarvel settled down even further, resting her head between her front paws. ?[B]I?d rather stay here and enjoy the wind.[/B]? Phaidra just nodded in agreement and turned back to watching the humans.[/FONT]

All Around

The two ancient spirits stared curiously at the wall their hostess had all but fled through without so much as a hint of a goodbye. The abrupt departure, though not out of character, left a bemused silence hanging in her wake, and after a moment the sounds of the local night traffic began filtering through the walls.

Nathan raised his eyebrows.

"Okay," he remarked drily, blinking once.

"I don't believe Lucia likes the Council very much," offered Isen, still holding the plastic container Phaidra had pressed upon her.

"Yeah...," Nathan agreed. He remembered how she had sent Phaidra a very intense look at the mention of the research in which the mage was engaged, and how the Council had approved her transfer. Lucia's flight had preempted the questions he had been formulating while he had let her speak; most likely the Council had cut short her own projects, though for what reason Nathan couldn't yet surmise. It struck him as extremely singular, and he decided it was probably worth looking into at some point.

"...kind of careless of her, though," he continued after a moment, "leaving us alone like this."

Isen's brow furrowed. "You mean with all her equipment out in the open?" she asked. She paused. "You're not thinking of plundering her laboratory, are you?"

"Oh no, of course not," Nathan said dismissively, avoiding his partner's criticizing stare. "Besides, you heard her say her crystal was keyed to her own aura. She's probably done the same to every piece of equipment in this room.

He turned to face her, placing his hands thoughtfully on his hips. "But," he went on, "I do have another idea." He started towards the center of the room, a grin spreading over his face. "Come on; give me a hand."

----------------------

"I absolutely do not believe you sometimes."

The pair was strolling down the sidewalk several blocks from Nathan's apartment, he with his hands thrust nonchalantly in his trouser pockets and she beside him, the container of cake tucked securely under her left arm. Her katana swung free at her waist, completely concealed by her long duffle coat.

"You have no place to talk," Nathan retorted jovially. "You did just as much as I."

The slender werecat snorted. "Only so we could be on our way faster. I took no pleasure in our work."

"That's a load of bull, and you know it," countered the Reaper. "Criminy, you were even telling me what to do!" He laughed. "'Took no pleasure' my eye."

Isen dropped her gaze and smiled. They continued on in contented silence for a few moments; she broke it first, much less rambunctiously than before.

"Lucia's not going to like it, is she?"

"No, I don't believe she will." The blue man laughed again. "I'm pretty sure I've solidified myself on her 'bad children' list."

Isen raised her eyebrows, amused. "Her what?"

"I'm envisioning her right now as a rather humorless school marm," Nathan said as they reached the parking lot in front of the building and began to float up to their room. "She's certainly uptight enough."

"Only if she has a thick wooden ruler," Isen added thoughtfully, passing through the outer wall and the first floor at the same time. "And horn-rimmed glasses."

Nathan chuckled as he ascended to his floor. "See?" he said in mock-accusation. "You can't tell me you're not havingâ??oh, for crying out loud!"

The two spirits stopped just inside his door, staring in astonishment at the occupant of the futon couch. With a sigh, the blue shinigami shook his head.

"Am I the only one who bothers to use the door anymore?" he demanded, throwing his arms up in exasperation.

"Oh, come on, Nathan," cajoled the light-blonde woman, rising to meet them. "Is that any way to greet your own sister?" She paused and turned to the werecat. "Good evening, my lady Isen," she said, bowing slightly.

Isen returned the gesture. "Hello, Christine." She smirked. "Don't mind my partner," she said while he stalked to the refrigerator to store the dessert, "you're not the first intruder we've had so far."

"You're the fourth," Nathan muttered petulantly from inside the fridge. "Or fifth, if you count whoever brought that idiotic letter. Five consecutive people just decide to waltz into my apartment like they bloody own the placeâ??and two of them vampires!"

The woman grinned. "Don't worry," she replied. "I usually don't. And I've told you, it's Chris."

"And I've told you," smirked the werecat, "that that name doesn't suit you."

Chris laughed.

The shinigami looked remarkably like her brother. She shared the same friendly featuresâ??the nose, half-full lips, and long eyebrowsâ??and her hazel eyes held the same casual, confident, almost sardonic gaze. Her short hair was closer to white than a true blonde, but shadows brought out the hidden sandy undertones; which, contrasted with her dark eyebrows, lent her face a slightly exotic appearance.

Her dress was light and summery: she wore a two-button short-sleeve grey blouse with a second white collar and the lower button undone, along with a pair of black unbelted capri pants and grey jogging shoes. She wore no jewelry except for a black choker necklace, a small gold chain on her left wrist from which hung a tiny jewel medallion, and an ornate anchor pendant which was sewn into the blouse and rested on her left shoulder. Her blouse's sleeves were pushed up, revealing white sparring tape wound securely around each of her upper arms just below the shoulder; the same tape was visible just above her midsection by the open bottom of her untucked blouse.

She returned to the couch while Isen busied herself in another room. "Busy day, I take it?"

Nathan groaned and joined her, flopping down longways with his knees stuck over the armrest.

"Busy couple of days," he told her tiredly tossing his hat across the room. He pressed the back of his hand over his eyes. "Seems like I'm wanted by everybody everywhere. I haven't even checked my schedule yet." He sighed. "I just want a moment to myself, you know?"

His sister smiled and ruffled his hair. "Well then, poor little brother, I guess now's not a good time to tell you I've been temporarily reassigned to your city."

Nathan groaned again.
Edited by Allamorph

[CENTER][B]Open Space[/B][/CENTER]
It was a tossup as to who was more surprised by Patrick?s place, Alex or Nall. His own was a rather modest and simple studio apartment with a combined living/family room and kitchen with a small bed and bathroom connected to the main room. It was in the downtown part of the city center, a section of one of the taller downtown buildings that were for housing instead of businesses. It was still relatively inexpensive as far as living costs went.

A certain amount of what they did on Earth was taken care of by those who monitored and issued their assignments. All Reapers had a say in where they lived so long as it was within a certain range of their assigned area of work. And though what they were allowed to choose was reasonable and made finding something suitable easy enough, it still didn?t even come close to what Patrick had chosen for himself, Terry and Fiero.

High above the city in one of the tallest buildings - a concept that even now Alex found a bit odd, the human desire to build and attempt to touch the sky - they were standing inside Patrick?s apartment. It was one of the more modern ones as the humans would call it, sleek black and white furniture decorated the place. The outside wall curved in a gentle arch as the corners of the building were curved instead of square. Instead of a simple wall with perhaps a window or two, it was one of floor to ceiling windows. With the building being back against the lake, the view literally covered nearly the entire city.

Alex was standing next to Patrick taking in the view while Nall was sitting on the counter to the kitchen that overlooked the main room. On the counter there were all sorts of pamphlets for the various venues throughout the city, something that Nall was nosily sifting through. Other than to glance at them and dismiss them Alex gave it no thought, Patrick had never been the type, or so he had told him, to like socializing with humans in any manner.

?[B]Why in the world would you choose such an illogical location?[/B]? Alex finally asked Patrick. When he had come to show him where he would be located, he had not expected it to be in one of the most expensive places in the city.

?[B]What?s illogical about it? I haven?t been in the human world for nearly a hundred years. I have a lot to learn and I find the view rather pleasing.[/B]?

?[B]You can enjoy the view by sitting on top of the building or floating in place.[/B]? Alex pointed out. ?[B]Don?t you find living in a place like this a waste of money?[/B]?

?[B]Money is not an issue for a Shinigami.[/B]?

?[B]Well if someone increased what we are allowed, no one bothered to tell [I]me[/I] that. How can you possibly afford this place?[/B]? Alex just shook his head, wondering why Patrick had chosen the place just as he noticed that the building he was staying in could easily be seen in the distance. It was quite a bit smaller though, not even a fifth of the height of what they were currently standing in.

?[B]The last time I was on Earth, humans considered it impolite and rude to inquire into another?s financial status,[/B]? Patrick smiled at the sudden flush of embarrassment on Alex?s face before he looked away.

?[B]It?s nothing you need to worry about Alex. A lot may have changed since I was last here, but the concept of wealthy and status clearly has not. Why else would those who have access to better means continue in their vain attempts to reach the sky?[/B]?

Patrick turned back to face the windows, folding his arms across his chest as he took in the view. ?[B]By our understanding of time I won?t be here for very long and I?d like to spend my time catching up on everything I?ve missed since I returned to our world.[/B]?

?[B]I thought you didn?t like Earth though.[/B]?

?[B]True, but since I?m going to be here for a while I may as well enjoy it right?[/B]?

?[B]I guess.[/B]? Alex shifted slightly when Nall, having finished with the pamphlets, landed back on his left shoulder before he addressed Patrick.

?[B]It?s still a colossal waste of money,[/B]? Nall pointed out in a disdainful tone as if Patrick was being an idiot. Something that Alex moved to head off since there was no point in hanging around and getting into an argument.

?[B]Nall and I had better get going; there was something I wanted to take care of before my next assignment.[/B]? He smiled hesitantly at both Terry and Fiero who for them had been oddly quiet for a change. ?[B]Take care.[/B]?

?[B]You do the same.[/B]? Patrick advised the pair before with a nod they took off, passing through the glass directly to head out. For the longest moment he stood there watching the two head off, only turning back to the interior of his place once they were no longer visible.

[CENTER]--------------------------[/CENTER]
?[B]Good grief, since when was Patrick that much of an idiot?[/B]? Nall growled once they were out of sensing range of the trio. ?[B]It?s bad enough that he?s too dumb to take your concerns seriously, but to turn around and treat being here like its some grand vacation?[/B]? Nall snorted in disgust.

?[B]I don?t know Nall,[/B]? Alex didn?t have an answer; he was more concerned about other things to really mind what Patrick was up to. All he really cared was that he had decided to get his own place, making it easier for him to do as he wished without him being around to be curious about what he was up to.

For some reason Alex got the odd feeling that receiving training from Nathan would be frowned upon. He didn?t know why though since they were allowed to do pretty much whatever they wanted between assignments so in theory, training shouldn?t be an issue. He wasn?t sure that it would be a problem, but he didn?t want to find out either.

?[B]Well forgetting that moron for a minute, what do you want to do now? We still have plenty of time before our next assignment needs to be dealt with.[/B]?

He shrugged, ?[B]Whatever you want to Nall.[/B]?

?[B]You better not change your mind.[/B]?

?[B]I won?t.[/B]? Alex promised, laughing at the serious tone in Nall?s voice.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][B][SIZE="3"]Signs of the past[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
Every time Lucia returned to her place after taking care of either work for the humans or that of a Reaper, she found herself almost expecting to find the same thing she had when she had come back after leaving Nathan and Isen alone in her apartment. It never crossed her mind that they would have actually done anything. Even now the memory just made her want to sigh with exasperation?

[CENTER]------------------------[/CENTER]
Like always, the timing for interrupting her work was perfect for interfering with something important. At times Lucia wondered if the seal let them see more than just her location, keying them into whether or not she was with others. She knew it did not but it didn?t change the fact that they seemed to be gifted at choosing the worst possible moments.

She had barely gotten a chance to talk to Nathan before the call had come. After the brief spat with her keeper and turning down an assignment, she didn?t dare do so again. Normally she wouldn?t care if they showed up again, but now she did. If they knew what she was up to? that was something she was unwilling to risk.

?[B]They never leave you alone.[/B]? Ruby complained as the two made their way back to her place, hours later.

Lucia just nodded; by now Nathan and Isen would be gone, it had not occurred to her to say anything to him. She had been too annoyed over hearing that Phaidra had been granted what she wanted and over the interruption from being given another assignment.

?[B]It doesn?t matter. As Nathan said, we have all of eternity to deal with things, even if it?s being spent?[/B]? Lucia cut it off as they got closer to her place. By the feel of things, Nathan and Isen were gone and Phaidra hadn?t returned either. It was just as well, she needed a moment to calm her nerves.

Both her and Ruby sailed into her place and then froze at the sight that met their eyes. [I]What the hell? [/I]Other than where all of her lab equipment was the rest of the place had been completely re-arranged. Not that she really cared where her furniture was, but the sofa was in the center of the room standing up on its side like a lone statue.

She stared at it and the chairs from the small kitchen table that were surrounding it in a circle as if giving audience to something she didn?t understand. And the fridge had been brought from the windowless back area out into the main room over by the windows overlooking the lake. The recliner was sitting on top of it, along with the blankets that Ruby liked to curl up in when she slept.

The whole thing made no sense at all and for the longest moment she just stared at things, trying to make sense of what had happened. That is until Ruby, who she thought had been shaking in irritation burst out in laughter, the sound echoing oddly through her place on account of the furniture being moved. It was more than just a simple laugh as she kept doing so, barely stopping to breathe between snickers.

?[B]Stop laughing Ruby.[/B]? Lucia snapped. ?[B]It?s not funny![/B]?

But that just set her off even more and she fell off of Lucia?s shoulder, barely remembering to float in time to keep herself from hitting the floor. ?[B]I?m? sorry,[/B]? She gasped out before she fell on her side, her paws curling up as she continued to howl. ?[B]It?s just so?[/B]? She lost it as she laughed even harder, barely taking time to catch a breath between each bout of laughter.

Lucia glared at her and then stormed off to start taking the kitchen chairs back to the room they belonged in. It made no sense, why in the world would Nathan and Isen? She halted yet again upon finding her bed sitting in the middle of the kitchen where the table would have been. [I]Oh for the love of! [/I]

She dropped the chair on the floor and ignored the bed in favor of checking out the rest of her place. The kitchen table was where her bed had been and as if to mock her it had been set up as if she would be having dinner there as the dishes were all set up for serving a meal. She wondered just how much time the two had spent, time that she now had to waste on putting things back.

The sound of Ruby?s laughter still echoed through the place and when Phaidra returned along with Sarvel, she was far from amused, something that she seemed to pick up on as she merely helped Lucia put things back in place, but it was clear that even she was holding back the laughter.

Lucia shoved the memory out of her mind; she had been spending the past week setting up some of the new equipment she had purchased, in addition to putting the final touches on the communicator she had told Nathan she would make for him. It had taken longer than expected since she had needed to re-write the recognition program for keying it to one?s aura to lock the device.

Hers was locked to her alone since Ruby had no need or inclination to use it, but it occurred to her that Nathan might want Isen to be able to use it, so she had set it up to allow two users if Nathan wished it. And even then, the level of access was something he could choose, all or limited.

She set it down after sending a message telling him it was finished so he could come and pick it up. The very first program upon turning it on would tell him what he needed to do. She didn?t even need to be there for him to get it. She would be though; there was no way she was ever going to leave him alone in her place again. Not after last time.

Then she put it out of mind as she began the process of setting things up so she could do more than the basic information gathering that she had done so far. Other than a bit more on what she had gotten when they were searching for the Count, she hadn?t gotten much. With the new equipment she would be able to do far more, though that raised the question of humans breaking into her place to steal things.

Lucia had already decided to not rely on human means of security. Normally she could do so herself, but without the resources or rather the time, she couldn?t effectively set something up; she just didn?t have the time to devote to something like that. For now she could put spiritual tracers down that would let her know if someone entered but that was about it. Lucia made a note to contact Phaidra who had her own place now, to see if there was magical means of warding her place to keep the humans out. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][CENTER][B]Falling petals[/B][/CENTER]
It had taken several weeks for Phaidra to finally find something that suited what she was after. The location was far out from the main hub of the central city, a smaller suburb that was further back among the forest just north of the larger city. It had not taken off, reduced to nearly a ghost town as most had abandoned it when funding for the area fell through. It was ideal in that the surrounding tall trees sprawled out north for miles before running into the shoreline of the sea. There were spots of habitation but the clear break from the city to that of nature was something that struck a balance that Sarvel was comfortable with.

The building she was living in was actually a small bookstore that had been built and then never opened when the funding fell through. The lack of shelving on the main floor, and furniture in the top floor above the open space below, was ideal in that Phaidra did not have to remove the shelves that would have only hindered her research. Instead it was painted in warm earth tones to compliment the hardwood floors. Then it had been polished and cleaned until the area practically glowed.

The windows facing the smaller city street were tinted to not only keep the sunlight from damaging the floors but reinforced with Phaidra?s own wards that she had set up once she had finished preparing the lower floor and upper one above it. At the back of the entrance to the store front was a set of spiral stairs that went up to what was now being used as a living room. It had originally been intended to be a small kitchen and break room for employees, just as the offices further back were now a type of family room along with two bedrooms.

Everything was done in warm earthen tones just as every scrap of furniture if possible was real wood instead of the synthetic material the humans had become more adept in making. It was not as good a balance as Phaidra would have liked for Sarvel, but compared to the city proper where Lucia had been situated, the move had been a welcome one for Sarvel.

She was still unhappy with the moving dead spots, but since their work had yet to take them close to one, she just continued to tolerate them. Phaidra knew it was only a matter of time before she tracked one down to determine just what it was though. It was what made her such an excellent partner for magical research and training. Her curious nature almost made it impossible for her to not explore something that felt off, at least not until she understood the reasoning behind it.

[hr=black]100[/hr]
?[B]What kind of ward do are you planning on setting up for Lucia?[/B]? Sarvel asked her as the two left their place to head for the city.

?[B]I?m thinking a simple spiritual aversion would work the best.[/B]?

?[B]Ah, I see. Keyed so she can allow others in briefly if she wishes?[/B]?

?[B]Of course.[/B]? Phaidra reached up and pushed the glasses she was wearing back a bit. ?[B]Her message indicated that she merely needs to keep them out, however I imagine that there will be times when she wants to let someone in.[/B]?

Sarvel snorted. ?[B]I doubt it; she?s not exactly the type to talk to our own kind let alone humans.[/B]?

?[B]Sarvel.[/B]? Phaidra?s voice held an edge of warning in it.

?[B]What? It?s true. She couldn?t get rid of us fast enough.[/B]?

?[B]I?m not sure it?s that simple though. Something felt off to me, more than a desire to be alone.[/B]?

Sarvel snorted again but dropped it. Her attention caught by yet another one of the irritating dead spots and she paused in midair without even giving it a thought. Phaidra stopped as well turning back to see that Sarvel was looking off to the right.

?[B]Is it another one of the dead spots?[/B]?

Her tail twitching Sarvel finally turned back to face Phaidra, ?[B]Yes.[/B]?

?[B]Did you want to go and check it out while I set up the ward for Lucia?[/B]?

Her partner looked at her for a moment before shaking her head. ?[B]No, it will go quicker if I help you.[/B]? She smirked, ?[B]Besides, I was considering setting lose an aura of mischief.[/B]?

?[B]Sarvel, don?t you dare.[/B]?

?[B]Oh fine.[/B]? Her mouth was still twitching at the corner, causing Phaidra to give her a long hard stare. ?[B]You can stop that; let?s get going before we?re late.[/B]? With a flick of her tails she was off, streaking towards Lucia?s place.

[hr=black]100[/hr]
Even though they knew that Lucia was fine with them just ghosting in they landed at the door and knocked, waiting patiently for her to open the door to admit them. Once it was closed Lucia started off on an explanation of what she was interested in, something that Sarvel interrupted.

?[B]It?s customary to thank someone for coming instead of moving straight to business.[/B]? She ignored Phaidra?s warning glance and continued, intending to give Lucia a lesson in both politeness and magic. She didn?t give Lucia a chance to regain control of the conversation.

?[B]You asked us here to see if we could ward your place to keep the humans out correct?[/B]?

Lucia nodded while Ruby just watched on with an amused grin.

?[B]Very well then, I?ll explain it to you. Everything has its time and place and that includes the social niceties that you tend to ignore. Normally since we are guests I would cater to your wishes, however, in this case I will not.[/B]? Sarvel started warming up to her topic.

?[B]Magic is orderly; everything is done in a precise manner to achieve the best effect. When you skip steps, you lose some of the effect or strength of the spell. Life is the same as well; a certain amount of harmony comes from those simple greetings and small talk. I do not know how it is for one who focuses on other forms of research,[/B]? She nodded in the direction of the equipment that Lucia was setting up.

?[B]But the first step in learning to master magic is to master your own mind first. Eventually you reach the point where a certain amount of steps can be skipped, but unless there is a need, you do not. So though you may not need it, those simple moments of greeting or even sharing a cup of tea while you catch up, we do require it.[/B]?

?[B]I see.[/B]? Lucia finally said, though Sarvel wondered if she did. ?[B]I thank you for coming then. I still have some of the tea you left behind, did you wish to have some before we move to business.[/B]?

?[B]Thank you and no. For this task tea would be best for when we are done.[/B]?

Phaidra shot her a sharp glance and took over, acting as if Sarvel had said nothing.

?[B]What we have in mind is a simple ward of spiritual aversion. It will mentally push humans away from your place unless you wish for them to enter. If you do, all you have to do is place a very light spiritual trace on them to cancel the aversion effect. Once they leave it will fade, requiring you to do so again if they need to return.[/B]?

?[B]How effective is it?[/B]? Lucia asked.

?[B]Very effective. Humans don?t even know it?s happening, in a sense it will be as if your place doesn?t even exist to them. They will still see it, but when they are about a foot away from the walls the aversion will result in them moving away without even realizing it.[/B]?

?[B]Will it affect any of my equipment?[/B]?

Phaidra shook her head. ?[B]It shouldn?t. And if it did, all you would have to do is apply a light spiritual trace to neutralize the effect.[/B]?

?[B]Alright, I?d like for you to do that.[/B]? She looked at the two and then hastily added on a please.

?[B]Stand back please,[/B]? Phaidra instructed as her and Sarvel positioned themselves in the center of the room. She looked to Sarvel and then with a snap of her fingers called forth the same electrical energy she had to trace the symbol on her application. She stood with her feet evenly placed a foot apart and then focused on the necessary pattern, tracing the symbols in the air in front of her.

Once she was done, with a mental nudge she sent it to the floor where it spread out around her and Sarvel, the arcane circle sketching itself according to the instructions she had just given it. Once done Sarvel did something and counter lines raced along the ones Phaidra had just drawn, leaving the two in the center of a gold and green colored circle that glowed faintly.

Without pause the two moved to the next step as Phaidra drew the next set of symbols in the air, each one coming to life in the outer most line of the circle on the floor, until with a final flare a slight ringing tone could be heard before the circle faded as if it had never been there.

?[B]I?ll have that tea now.[/B]? Sarvel said as she moved to hop onto the sofa in the room.

Lucia opened her mouth as if to say something and then simply left the room.

?[B]So that?s it?[/B]? Ruby asked them when she had left.

?[B]Yes, go and fly out and come back, even though it won?t affect you directly, you should be able to feel the barrier.[/B]? Phaidra explained.

Ruby shot out of the place and then back quickly, taking a seat next to Sarvel. ?[B]I see, it kind of tickles a bit.[/B]? Sarvel laughed.[/FONT]

Oh Lately It's So Quiet

"He's really serious about this, isn't he?"

Chris leaned casually against the chain-link fence protecting the rooftop HVAC equipment of one of the city's many towering office buildings, idly watching her younger brother relentlessly drill his still scythe-less apprentice, her hands thrust into her pants pockets and her right foot resting flat against the fence below her back. To the side of her, Nathan's inscrutable familiar stood statuesque and silent, left hand comfortably on her sword's hilt, her eyes never leaving the pair across the roof. The werecat nodded once in answer to the query, but otherwise showed indication that the remark had registered.

A gust of wind raced across the top of the building, tousling the blonde shinigami's short locks and causing Isen's long grey hair to billow to her left, their bangs whipping across their faces and into their eyes.

Chris studied the werecat for a moment longer before returning her attention to the men.

"I almost didn't believe him when he said he'd started training someone," she told the air. "I mean, he's never done this to my knowledge before. Back when learning combat skills was as commonplace as basic education, and even for some time before the War, I remember him saying it was his policy to never teach. It was something about him not being able to stand how confined it made him feel." She reached a hand up to run through her disheveled hair. "He used to joke about it with me when we'd get to see each other during the War, whenever one of us got a break from the front lines, so I thought he was pulling my leg again.

"Obviously he wasn't kidding," she concluded, letting her hand slide down to rest on the back of her neck. "I really never thought I'd see him take a student."

Isen nodded serenely again, taking a small breath before responding.

"After we met each other and decided to become partners," she said, as Alex took a breather, "we learned that there was not time to send me back to the trainers for instruction. Everything I needed to know had to be taught by him, and I had to learn both between engagements and on the fly. A few lessons I was able to pick up from others who worked closely with him, but he was my primary instructor for everything that I had not learned in the pride.

"He always gave pointers to his subordinates, though, and even before I left to train in East Asia he was starting to be more receptive to requests for help. I also remember him saying that he hated the idea of teaching, but he never seemed to mind giving assistance if he was asked."

Nathan called an end to the break and began issuing sharp commands to Alex, who complied by rapidly executing three, four, and five consecutive forms for each order.

"I think that is how he feels about Alexander," Isen considered. "He sees himself not as teaching the boy so much as I think he sees himself simply giving what help he can."

Chris made an approving noise. "Still," she remarked, "looking at his methods and his pacing, he would probably have made an excellent instructor. It's been two months now since I came to fill in, and he's only just recently moved the boy on to strike combinations. Most instructors I know of currently would at least be sparring by now, if they were training every day like Nathan is."

Again Isen nodded. "He is somewhat aggravated with the level of instruction the newer shinigami are being given," she said. "He told me that he wants to make certain Alexander knows his skills so well they become mere reflex. He says the boy's biggest problem right now is his lack of confidence. He was confident before," she clarified, "but the blunt introduction to the reality of vampires broke that almost completely, and Nathan believes if he can train him well enough, Alexander will simply fight by instinct instead of freezing up."

"Everyone freezes up the first few times," Chris noted, half to herself. "It happens, and you move on."

"Nathan knows this, but he also knows that most people go in prepared the first time. Alexander did not go into that mansion with the necessary skills, so he barely knew what to do at all. His instincts saved him more than once, but he does not realize it; all he sees is how useless he was, and so the next time he will be even more unsure of himself and may not even allow himself the opportunity to succeed for fear he will fail." Isen shrugged. "At least, that is what Nathan says."

The women stayed silent for a moment afterward. Isen was probably right, Chris thought to herself. She knew how much her brother loved seeing people succeed, and knew from experience how far ahead he was willing to plan to see that it happened. She also knew that he really wanted Alex as a future ally instead of just a 'subordinate', a sentiment with which she generally agreed; she had taken extensive measures herself to increase the effectiveness of the people under her command, and were their positions reversed at the moment she knew she would probably be doing the same thing.

Her other hand joined the first behind her neck, and she interlaced her fingers.

"So," she began, changing the subject, "who is this contact my brother has back across the Gate? From the way Nathan's been acting, he must be pretty trustworthy." She sent the werecat a sly look. "Or has he not told you either?"

Isen shook her head. "He has said nothing to me at all. I know it has something to do with Adrian, maybe that old 'mentor' he spoke of, but there is no way to be certain."

"Adrian?"

"The shinigami whose spot you are filling."

"Oh," said Chris. "Interesting." She remembered the odd look her twin had given her when she'd described to him her recent encounter with vampires, and the debacle it had turned into. He'd mentioned something about scouting it after things had cooled down enough that he felt safe sending others into the area. She'd asked what he meant, and he'd told her of two other shinigami in the areaâ??Lucia and Phaidra, if she remembered the names correctlyâ??who had a good deal of expertise in suitable fields, and had said he would arrange a meeting later.

Now that she thought about it, she began to notice him slipping back into the old commanding mantle he had worn so well during the War. She wondered to herself what, if anything, he suspected, and how much he had learned since she had been away. She made a mental note to find out later.

"You know," she decided aloud, "I'm kinda hungry." She turned an amiable grin to Isen. "You hungry?"

Isen made a thoughtful noise. "One of Nathan's favorite spots is just a few blocks from here," she told Chris matter-of-factly. "It has really good music, he says."

"Really," mused Chris. "Well, my birds won't be back for probably another three hours; whaddya say we go grab lunch?"
Edited by Allamorph

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][SIZE="2"][B]Frozen Smile[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Even though Gavrie had returned nearly two months ago, he still had not worked directly with Adrian for any of the training. A tiny bit of his time was spent querying Astera while Adrian trained. Sometimes it was on tactics or the practical application of the magic she possessed, other times it was to regale her with tales of battles from the vampire wars. Gavrie never followed any set pattern since teaching Adrian to learn to fight no matter what was going on with Astera wouldn?t work if he knew what and when to expect it.

The bulk of his time was being spent doing careful prying, even if it meant spending days at a time in the capitol, carefully wrapped in his own aura to avoid detection. Patiently waiting in order to get the tiniest bit of information was something he was good at. Now that he had more than just rumors to go on, in his mind it was time to learn more. It wasn?t easy to walk a fine line of poking his nose into things, but that had never stopped him before and it didn?t now.

It was made easier by the fact that it was now known that he had actually taken on a serious student. Some of his blunter snooping in regards to what happened with the assignment Adrian had been tasked to made it easier to hide the other more careful prying that he was doing. He didn?t count on it though, which only made some of his more recent discoveries all the more credible. Now, as he sat on the back porch watching Karl practically run Adrian into the ground yet again, he wondered just what to do with some of the information.

Once Adrian was ready to about fall over from exhaustion Karl waved him off into the house to rest before him and Gavrie sauntered out into the field past the training area. For once he did not bother to switch back to his other form.

?[B]You?ve been driving Adrian pretty hard.[/B]? Gavrie observed.

Karl shrugged before clasping his hands behind his back. ?[B]He has a lot to learn.[/B]?

?[B]True.[/B]?

Karl stopped and turned to face Gavrie, his eyes narrowing. ?[B]You found something.[/B]?

?[B]Also true.[/B]?

?[B]So what do you plan on doing about it?[/B]? Karl shifted slightly, allowing his hands to hang at his sides as he looked back at the small home.

?[B]There isn?t much that I can do, at least not yet.[/B]? Gavrie took a seat in the tall grass, still facing the house. ?[B]I might pass it on and see what happens though.[/B]?

Karl also took a seat. ?[B]Oh?[/B]? He said innocently, even though he knew who Gavrie was thinking of. Especially if it involved a similar incident like what Adrian and Astera had been caught in, for something like that? An unpleasant thought crossed his mind.

?[B]How many?[/B]? He asked grimly.

?[B]Three.[/B]?

Karl swore, ?[B]I don?t know what those fools are thinking. What about the target?[/B]?

?[B]I was not able to determine that.[/B]? He looked to Karl with a bit of a conspiratorial grin on his face. ?[B]It would be interesting to see just what he would do with the information don?t you think?[/B]?

?[B]Perhaps.[/B]?

Gavrie?s grin just grew a little wider as he pulled out his cell and typed up the message. He had just barely started when he stopped and erased it, opting to reformat it in a form that would be unmistakable. A moment later and it was tagged for delivery to the other side and sent. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B][CENTER]Dark Space[/CENTER][/B]
Alex was done for with training for the day. He had no assignments for a while so he headed for one of the tallest buildings in the entire city to take a seat on the edge. It was a few blocks over from where Patrick, Terry and Fiero were staying and offered an excellent view of the city. But more importantly, it was high enough up that the unsettling feeling of sensing vampires was at a minimum.

He knew he was letting it bother him more than it should, but he disliked being down among the humans and therefore closer to any vampires in the area. It wasn?t really a big deal since they?d been there all along, he just found the sensation unnerving and would rather keep a healthy distance between them.

?[B]You?re so boring Alex,[/B]? Nall complained once they were situation on the edge of the building. Alex was sitting on it much like a human would with his feet hanging over the edge while Nall was sitting on the ledge to the left.

?[B]Why?[/B]?

?[B]You use to spend your spare time watching shows, reading books or playing games.[/B]? Nall explained. ?[B]Now you just sit and brood, hanging out with the birds instead of the humans.[/B]?

Alex didn?t bother to comment on the observation, he was sure Nall knew why and he didn?t want to get another lecture on how he was letting it bother him more than he should. He was getting the training he wanted after all. Every single day, schedule permitting, Nathan would continue with teaching him different forms along with making sure what he had taught him so far was also being kept in mind.

On the days their schedules clashed he was doing as told, faithfully going through all of the stances and forms that Nathan had instructed him to do. It was tiring, even for a Shinigami, but that never stopped him. It was kind of frustrating that so far they had not moved beyond any form of unarmed stances or combat. Alex wished he knew more or understood why it seemed like it was taking so long.

?[B]I wish it wasn?t taking so long.[/B]? He finally said, more to himself than anything else.

?[B]Do you mean the training?[/B]?

Alex nodded.

?[B]Seems to me that Nathan is just being through,[/B]? Nall observed. ?[B]I get the feeling that unlike the Council or your mentor, he?s making sure you learn things completely instead of rushing your training. That?s what got us in that mess in the first place, we didn?t know what to expect or how to counter it.[/B]?

?[B]I know.[/B]? Alex didn?t bother to mention how useless they had been, but Nall wasn?t so easily fooled by his attempt to keep an even expression on his face.

?[B]You better not be thinking we were useless again.[/B]? He growled. Glaring at Alex he stretched his wings and turned to face him better. ?[B]I?m going to start smacking you if you keep doing that.[/B]? He pressed on when Alex opened his mouth to object.

?[B]Would you blame a five year old human for not knowing how to drive a car?[/B]? Alex shook his head. ?[B]So stop it then. Why would you blame yourself or anyone else when no one taught you how to deal with vampires or bothered to train you better?[/B]?

?[B]I know![/B]? Alex said testily. ?[B]That?s part of why I?m angry. No matter how I look at it, all I can see is that the higher ups didn?t care if we got killed![/B]? He looked down to see that his fists were clenched in anger, Alex took several deep breaths and let the air out as he slowly unclenched his hands.

It did little to calm the anger he could feel dwelling inside. What if there had been other groups sent after a vampire like they had? What if others had died instead of managing to stop the vampire? That more than anything bothered him the most. It was speculation only, but the thought hovered in the back of his mind like a hateful whisper that he couldn't get rid of.

?[B]I don?t understand Nall, there are vampires all over the damn city and yet until the deal with the Count we didn?t even know they existed. So tell me, why were we never told? Why did they send us in there with practically no information whatsoever?[/B]? Alex resisted the urge to get up and start pacing.

?[B]I?ve run it through my mind again and again and I can?t figure it out. I want to go back and demand some answers only...[/B]" He faltered.

"[B]You're worried no one would listen or even care.[/B]" A powerful gust of wind blew across the building top, bringing with it the sharp smell of water laden air and a hint of a chill.

Alex ignored it as it continued for several minutes, he did not bother to alter his state and instead allowed the wind to tug and toss his hair and clothing as the storm front passed by. Not too far off in the distance on the other side of the city, clouds were approaching rapidly and flickers of lightening could be seen. A moment later and the wind died down to a steady breeze.

"[B]It feels wrong Nall. I don't know why but something isn't right. Even Patrick is acting oddly with how he's going to things all over the city and mingling with humans.[/B]" Alex finally stood up. "[B]I can't explain it, it's similar to when Nathan started the chant and I knew that more was needed to break the illusion the Count had trapped us in. I can feel it.[/B]"

Alex looked to Nall who was sitting patiently, waiting for him to finish. "[B]Come on Nall,[/B]" he motioned with his head to indicate the direction of his apartment. "[B]We still have plenty of time so let?s go and watch something okay?[/B]"

Nall just flew up and landed on his left shoulder in answer.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="3"][B][CENTER]Analyst?[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
Now that Lucia was finally starting to acquire the equipment necessary for what she wished to do, having the ward set up by Phaidra and Sarvel was even more important. It still grated on her nerves just to think about how irritating Sarvel had been with her talk of tea and useless conversation. But it would have been even more irritating to come back to her place and find the precious equipment gone. Losing it would have been quite a setback so she had merely held back the desire to tell them to get lost and did as requested.

The few minutes lost to the conversation and preparing and drinking tea was a small price to pay in her mind. It was also easier to accept now that she had gotten to see it in action. Even those delivering the computer equipment she had bought had been unable to enter her place unless she did as Phaidra instructed by placing a faint spiritual trace on them. It wouldn?t stop another Shinigami, but the others serving in the city had no reason to be in her place.

Before they had left Phaidra had also taught her another trick, a means to make it so humans, even those who were slightly more in tune with their spiritual energy, could not see into her place from outside on the deck. Lucia could have gotten a special coating applied to the floor to ceiling windows that did the same while keeping harmful sunlight out. But the application of her own spiritual energy was relatively simple and had the same effect. So now not only could humans not enter without her permission, they couldn?t see inside either.

The only thing she did not care for was a slight violation of policy on her part in setting up the lab and computer equipment. Lucia had replaced and supplemented certain aspects of their programs with her own. They were programmed to keep anyone from being able to break into them and she was fairly certain that no human could, but modifying them to work with human equipment was something she was not supposed to do.

Her communicator was different in that the technology was so completely and utterly different that even if it fell into human hands, they would not be able to figure out just what it was. They had no means to turn it on or even realize it was more than a really strong crystal type of material. Human computers were powered by something other than spiritual energy and though she could put layers of security into the programs themselves, it was not so easy to make it where one couldn?t turn them on. She had been unwilling to take the time to alter them that far, it would have been a waste of time.

At the same time, unless someone from her world actually knew what they were doing, she had kept to the same basic interface that humans used so that on the surface it looked to be the same. It would take getting into the actual code to realize that it was not. Ruby had lectured her several times over that particular detail but Lucia had disagreed with it. The Council had not cared if she or the others died, so why should she care about following the set guidelines?

Lucia had been given no choice but to accept service and working on the human side of things. It was one thing to have that freedom of choice taken but yet another to let them treat her own life so callously. If preserving her life and that of the others meant bending a few rules to do so, then she would do just that. They had no justification or grounds for halting her research and placing a level one seal on her so it only seemed fair that she actually do something that could be grounds for the punishment she was already under. Oddly, it was a thought that she found amusing and comforting at the same time.

She looked to Ruby who was over on the recliner that was back in its rightful place facing the windows and the view of the lake. Ruby was still curled up fast asleep, something she often did after they got back from getting something to eat. Lucia smiled slightly at the sight. They often did not agree on things, but she couldn?t deny how much her presence helped to keep her from feeling totally alone. It was hard enough to not be able to continue her research; it would have been even harder to do without Ruby.

Lucia laughed a bit at the odd slant her thoughts had taken before she went back to working on her lab which was coming along nicely. Now that she had the better equipment, or at the very least the start of what she wished to set up, it was becoming much easier to track down information that was harder to obtain. It would still take time, by human standards that is. One, two or even twenty years was nothing to a Reaper. Or a vampire for that matter and she was positive that there were others in the city besides the Count.

The only question in her mind was to wonder if any of them would even talk to one such as her. That was something she would have to be very cautious about. She would not take the risk of attempting to gather information that way. Unlike Nathan she lacked the ability to move quickly. She would have no defense against someone like the Count. She found it hard to believe that he was the only vampire who was that powerful. And since she was pretty certain they wouldn?t be interested in telling her how to protect herself from them; she would take her time and steer clear of any vampires for the time being. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][CENTER][B]The Human Taint[/B][/CENTER]
?[B]You really like this place don?t you?[/B]?

Sarvel just nodded instead of answering Phaidra directly. There were very few places close to the city that were as untouched as the waterfall they were visiting. Sitting as close to the base as possible on some moss covered rocks, they had been enjoying the sound of the water flowing over the layers of rock that were tiered much like a set of uneven steps in the human cities.

Bright green moss grew on the rocks where the water flowed down in cascading sheets. The air was laden with a cool mist that settled on their faces. Phaidra ignored how it was slowly soaking her clothing while Sarvel merely shook slightly from time to time, sending the accumulating water back into the air.

?[B]If I had the time, I would seek out other places such as this for the information to be had. That is not why I am here though.[/B]?

?[B]Does it bother you that the humans are so destructive?[/B]?

Sarvel shook her head, ?[B]No, they too young, too immature to truly understand what they do.[/B]? She finally stood up, shaking again to rid herself of the water as she took to the air with Phaidra following closely behind her.

?[B]Their lives are so short that even if I were to spend every moment they had trying to teach them, it would be nothing more than a glimpse into why their behavior is wrong.[/B]?

The two moved higher until they were above the trees before heading back towards the outer town where they were staying. Sarvel followed the pace that Phaidra set in order to allow the rush of air time to help dry out her clothing and hair. They would have been an odd sight if the humans had been able to see them, an ornate fox and a woman with long black hair flying through the air just above the treetops.

?[B]True,[/B]? Phaidra glanced sideways at Sarvel. ?[B]It would be the same if I were to attempt to teach one of them how to use magic. We have spent over millennia learning to master it before we moved to doing serious research. I?m not sure if it?s possible for one to learn anything of use in the tiny amount of time they have on Earth.[/B]?

Sarvel grunted slightly in response, her attention was on the massive city off in the distance. It gleamed brightly, the air free of the usual haze that surrounded the place. It had been temporarily cleansed by the storm that had moved through the area during the night. It wouldn?t last long though, the never-ending flow of human traffic would see to that.

It was why she had insisted on a short trip to the waterfall though. There was information to be gained from the influence of a storm and change in the flow of the water. It was more of a habit than a necessity though. She did not need to follow up on the threads she felt running through the water and the Earth. Sarvel had mainly been interested in the calm tranquility it offered. The additional information from the storm was a bonus.

A familiar jarring feeling brought her up short as they got to the edge of the outer town where they were staying. Her fur rose a bit, standing on end and she fought back the urge to growl at the abysmal disturbance. She would have streaked off to confront it if not for the fact that it was moving away from the small town at a high speed towards the larger city in the distance.

?[B]I am getting tired of those irritating dead spots.[/B]? Sarvel growled when Phaidra stopped to see what had gotten her attention.

?[B]Are they in the town?[/B]?

?[B]No, they must be in one of those contraptions the human?s use, a vehicle, since the two spots are heading towards the main city far faster than any human can move.[/B]? Sarvel explained, her tails twitching in agitation.

?[B]So they were here but left.[/B]?

Sarvel nodded. ?[B]I can?t say where exactly without taking the time to hunt for traces, but the presence was clearly within the town boundaries when I first detected it.[/B]? She streaked off towards their place instead of giving into the urge to give chase.

?[B]If we didn?t have other duties that require our attention I?d find out just what the hell those things are.[/B]?

?[B]We can always do that the next time we have a long break between assignments if you wish.[/B]? Phaidra offered. ?[B]You said that they give off an aura that is harmful to life, it might be best if you don?t go looking on your own.[/B]?

Sarvel just gave off a tiny grunt as they came to the building they were staying in. If the dead spots really were harmful, she?d take care of that. She wasn?t entirely sure why they annoyed her so much. Other taints and imbalances didn?t grate on her nerves like they did and a part of her wondered why the odd dead spots were different in that respect. [/FONT]

[CENTER][B]Up Through the Ashes[/B][/CENTER]
Alex had been expecting things to continue like they had been for the past two months. So when he got ready for the next day he was planning on continuing with his near daily training session with Nathan. When he received a message from Nathan indicating that he wished for all of them to meet at his place he was more than a little surprised.

It had taken little time for everyone to work out a point when all of them could come over as requested. Alex found himself wondering just what it was that Nathan wanted to talk about. He also wondered if it meant that they had been given another assignment like the deal with the Count. If so, it made no sense that it would have been directed through Nathan. Or so he thought.

?[B]I wonder what he wants.[/B]? Nall mused as the two prepared to head over to Nathan?s place.

?[B]I don?t know. It could be another assignment.[/B]? He didn?t like the idea of being handed something like that again. With an inward sigh he moved to leave his place and head for where Nathan lived.

?[B]I?m more curious to know why Patrick was not invited.[/B]? Nall said from his usual perch on Alex?s left shoulder. ?[B]After all, Nathan did ask Phaidra and Sarvel to come so why leave Patrick, Terry and Fiero out of the request to get together?[/B]?

Alex just smiled when he thought of how Terry and Fiero had practically run Isen over with their greetings. If they weren?t needed, that kind of distraction wasn?t necessary. Plus when he had told Patrick what had happened, Isen had been right there listening to the conversation. If it did involve another assignment or something related to it, there was no point in asking someone along who didn?t consider vampires a real issue.

?[B]It doesn?t matter Nall, I?d rather they didn?t come anyway.[/B]?

Nall snorted. ?[B]They?d be useless that?s for sure; he didn?t take your concerns seriously.[/B]?

Once clear of the walls to their place they immediately sped towards where Nathan was staying. It was early evening and the city was teeming with the activity of humans hurrying about. Even at night it never stopped, they just kept going all the time. Both of them caught a glimpse of what had to be Lucia and Ruby off in the distance.

By the time they landed just outside the door to Nathan?s place he could clearly sense that they were already inside, along with the newcomer Phaidra and Sarvel. The only ones missing were Isen and? The unmistakable feel of Chris approaching caught his attention and he waited patiently for her to arrive.

?[B]Don?t be so formal Alex,[/B]? Chris said with a grin before she slipped past him and then right through the door and into the apartment.

With shrug Alex and Nall followed suit, flowing through the walls and then coming to a halt at the entrance to the main room where Nathan?s tri-chess set was sitting. Phaidra and Sarvel were comfortably sitting on one of the chairs while Lucia and Ruby quietly leaned up against the wall to the right.

Chris was in place next to the kitchen counter that overlooked the main room, facing Lucia and Ruby. Alex had barely come to a halt when Nathan who had most likely been chatting with Phaidra stood up from where he was sitting. Like always he was sporting that half amused grin of his though there was a hint of seriousness in his gaze. Alex wasn?t sure if he was imagining that or not.

?[B]Take a seat if you?d like Alex,[/B]? Nathan indicated one of the empty chairs. Alex nodded and moved to do so.

Straight Up

â??Well,â? said Nathan, rubbing his hands together, â??now that weâ??re all here, we can get started on the important things.â? He moved to retrieve something from the kitchen.

â??Whereâ??s Isen?â? Nall queried from Alexâ??s knee.

â??Busy,â? came the muffled reply; Nathan had stuck his head inside his refrigerator and was rummaging around. â??I needed her to get some information confirmed for me, and . . . aha! There you are.â? He straightened, with a large cake pan covered in plastic wrap held between his hands. Chris snickered.

â??Oh, hush. At any rate,â? he continued, returning to the living area, â??she already knows everything Iâ??m about to tell you, so she wonâ??t be missing much aside from this.â? He placed the dish on the table beside the chess stand and whisked off the covering, then paused. â??Wait, I almost forgot the introductions. Everyone, this is Chris, my sisterâ??â?

â??Twin sister,â? Chris corrected smugly.

â??â??my twin sisterâ??â?

â??Older twin sister.â?

â??Oh, for Peteâ??s sake.â? Nathan grinned and shook his head. â??Chris, this is Lucia and her dragon Ruby, Phaidra and her fox Sarvel, and of course you already know the young man whoâ??s about to get his hand smacked.â?

Alex snatched his fingers away from the pan. â??But I thoughtâ??â?

â??Be polite; ladies first.â?

Nall laughed rudely until Nathan told him to put a sock in it.

â??And to complete the round of introductions, this,â? said the blue man, gesturing to the tray on the table, â??is a cherry dump cake, which Phaidra was kind enough to bring with her.â?

â??A what cake?â? said Chris.

â??A dump cake,â? her brother repeated. â??Itâ??s like a regular cake, except you take all the ingredients and dump them in before baking.â?

â??Ah.â?

Nathan shook his head. â??â??This is a cake.â?? â??A what?â?? â??A cake.â?? â??A what?â?? â??A cake.â?? â??Oh, a cake,â??â? he sing-songed mockingly. â??Now get me a knife.â?

â??You have knives?â?

â??Weâ??re never going to get anywhere,â? Nathan mourned to Phaidra. Lucia snorted.

---------------------------------

The knife retrieved and the cake divided, the shinigami spent the next several minutes in casual conversation. Chris was filled in on the specialties of the two Reapers to whom she had just been introduced, and her familiar joined the meeting, giving her common discussion ground with Phaidra and her Elemental.

Having polished off his fourth helpingâ??it was a large cakeâ??Nathan wiped his lips and called the meeting to some semblance of order.

â??Dearly beloved, we are gathered her todayâ??ungh!â?

â??Be serious,â? said Chris, removing her elbow from his ribs.

â??Owwie,â? Nathan remarked petulantly. â??So mean.â?

â??Queue-queue, Nathan.â? Chris cleared her throat. â??We called you here to talk about the deal at the mansion a while back, with that would-be coup leader vampire.â?

Phaidra sat up. â??Vampire?â? she exclaimed. â??I thought they no longer existed.â?

â??They donâ??t, officially,â? Chris replied drily. Nathan mumbled something incoherent about the Council.

â??But . . . so . . . weâ??ve been lied to?â?

â??Pretty much,â? said Nathan. â??After we won the War there were a lot of vampire-hunter search parties deployed to eradicate those that remained, but the records of their success are grossly exaggerated. Besides, we all know that vampires evolved naturally to begin with, so there very well could have been repeat instances of a random vampire birth that flew under the Councilâ??s radar, so to speak.â?

The others nodded.

â??So yes, Phaidra, weâ??re dealing with vampires. We almost lost people during the incident, and we did lose two afterwards: the girl you replaced and the girl Patrickâ??ehh, Alexâ??s old instructor is filling in for until we get another assigned here.â?

â??And Adrian?â? inquired Lucia.

â??The technique Adrian used to kill the Count almost got him killed in the process. Heâ??s gone somewhere else to recuperate and get stronger. Chris is filling in for him.â?

â??Oh, okay.â?

â??Which brings me to the point, actually.â? Nathan sat up and rested his arms on his knees, folding his hands together. â??According to Chris, that wasnâ??t an isolated incident.â?

â??What?!â? Alexâ??s eyes grew visibly wider.

Chris nodded. â??The shinigami in my area were called to deal with a similar situation, and like you, we werenâ??t prepared for it. It was a death trap from the beginning.â? She sighed. â??I tried to salvage what I could, but none of my colleagues trusted each other or me, so I was the only one who escaped. Everyone else was killed.â? Her words caught in her throat, and she placed a tense fist against her mouth.

Nathan gave the group a level stare.

â??All the others were just as inexperienced as you, and just as ill-informed as all of us were, she told me. One had only been in the field for a decade.â?

Lucia started to speak, but Nathan held up a hand.

â??I have another source who confirms that our narrow squeak and Chrisâ??s disaster arenâ??t the only ones. He knows of possibly five other incidents like them, in various places around the world. He also thinks the Council is still sending orders to other groups, which means that more of us will be lost for no reason at all.â?

â??The people back home donâ??t know anything about this,â? Chris added. â??As far as they know, vampires have been extinct since the War.â?

Phaidra nodded. â??Thatâ??s what weâ??re taught.â?

â??Obviously this makes no sense,â? Nathan continued. â??But people, even us, rarely do things that make no sense, so there must be a reason why the Council is sending squad after squad of Reapers on suicide missions.â?

â??But what do you propose we do?â? asked Lucia.

Nathan met her gaze. â??I want to start by investigating the hold Chrisâ??s team attempted to assault, see what we can learn.â?

Lucia stared back. â??You have got to be kidding,â? she said. â??You want us to walk into another death trap, knowing how we barely escaped the last one?â?

â??Believe it or not, thatâ??s what gives us the advantage,â? answered Nathan. â??Youâ??ve been steadily improving your crystal technology, which means youâ??ll be able to give us data more quickly and more accurately than before. Iâ??ve been training Alex personally, and I can assure you that his combat skills are improving steadily.â? Alex suppressed a grin. â??We did lose our two weakest members, and we donâ??t have Adrian, but one of the ones we lost didnâ??t even contribute to our victory, and the holes left by Adrian and Aeru have been filled by Phaidra and my sister. And sheâ??s also a War veteran.â?

â??Fat lot of good that did me last time,â? the blonde woman commented.

â??You had a bum crew,â? Nathan told her. â??These guys will perform, and work together. I can attest to that without hesitation.â?

â??So,â? started Phaidra, â??whoâ??s going to be going?â?

â??This first time Iâ??d prefer if we all went,â? Nathan said. Phaidra looked relieved. So did Alex. â??I donâ??t know if the vampires there will have fled for fear of exposure or if theyâ??ll have dug in their defenses, and I donâ??t want to take any chances. Plus, thisâ??ll be your first time dealing with them, so I donâ??t want you exposed needlessly without having any experience beforehand.

â??And besides,â? he added, grinning conspiratorially at Lucia, â??two little scanner thingies are better than one, eh?â?
Edited by Allamorph

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"][CENTER][B]Fly Over the Sea[/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
Gavrie was resting comfortably in one of the chairs on the veranda alongside the back of the small home that overlooked the training area. He was only partially paying attention to the current set of exercises with just one scythe that Karl was running Adrian through. It may have been over three thousand years since the war but he had not forgotten the various techniques and teaching methods that he and others had developed in order to quickly bring someone up to speed.

One never knew when a mission, assignment or a battle would come up, cutting any or all training short. The lessons learned had been harsh and unforgiving as many lost their lives to battles that they were ill equipped for. Even after the war was officially over with he had not stopped looking for more efficient ways of teaching someone to fight and defend themselves. There had been a lingering sense of uneasiness that had been difficult to shake and he had diligently continued training himself.

But time had moved on and though he did not trust the talk of vampires really being gone, things had settled back down. The Shinigami had slowly moved back to their normal duties. People moved on and before long, even the memories of those who had died began to soften and fade. Not forgotten of course as some things were impossible to forget. One might not think about it all the time anymore but they never forgot.

Astera was sitting on the armrest of the chair next to him, watching the training in silence. She didn?t need to ask what was going on, or what Karl was teaching Adrian. She knew it as if it was her in the circle. Adrian?s doubts and questions were foremost on her mind, including the more obvious one of why Adrian had not been properly trained. She looked over at Gavrie.

?[B]How come the basic training is so terrible?[/B]?

Gavrie often wondered about that himself, why the standards were so lax. He didn?t have an answer for Astera and though the look in her eyes indicated that she wasn?t really expecting one, he still replied just the same.

He looked back to the training area, Astera doing the same. ?[B]I don?t know.[/B]? He finally said. ?[B]I?ve asked that question many times over the centuries and the only answer I get is that it?s not needed.[/B]?

Astera snorted loudly. ?[B]What idiot decided that? The one who is sitting safely on this side of the gate? The one who doesn?t have to worry about whether or not they will die because they were given an assignment they were not ready for?[/B]?

She sighed. ?[B]I?m sorry Gavrie, I shouldn?t snap at you.[/B]?

?[B]There?s no need to apologize Astera.[/B]?

The silence was uncomfortable, finally broken by both of them giving their attention back to the training going on. There wasn?t much to be said since neither one of them had the answer they wanted. Though forgoing any unseen events, at least Adrian and Astera would finally get the training that in his opinion; they should have gotten in the first place.

?[B]How many were lost this time?[/B]? Gavrie kept his voice flat, emotionless. It was easier that way. Or so he told himself. He knew he was fooling no one. There was nothing he hated more than to lose someone who wasn?t ready and there was no mistaking that the reaper before him was far from ready.

It was next to impossible to determine the age of a Reaper. Unlike humans or other species, appearance was meaningless. But it was easy to see the uneasy look in the worn, battered and tired Shinigami standing at attention before him. He couldn?t have been assigned to the area for more than a month or two. That look of barely concealed terror was unmistakable.

?[B]I?m sorry sir,[/B]? the young reaper stammered. ?[B]We were overrun, only three of us made it back.[/B]? Gavrie held up a hand, silencing his attempts to explain further. There was no need; he already knew what had happened.

?[B]Go and get cleaned up. Take a moment to rest as well alright?[/B]? Gavrie waited for him to nod before the recruit hastily retreated to one of the other areas of the makeshift camp.

?[B]Tell me that reinforcements are coming Kevin.[/B]? He did not turn around to face his aide. ?[B]I don?t give a damn if they want us to keep those blasted vampires from overrunning this area. I won?t keep sending out more Shinigami to die needlessly.[/B]?

What Kevin would have said next was lost at the sound of a commotion coming from the other end of the camp. There was no sense of alarm or that of their enemies, the vampiers. It was clear that something was going on though. Gavrie took one step forward only to halt when Kevin grasped his shoulder. Puzzled he turned back to see what he wanted.

?[B]What?s the deal?[/B]?

?[B]This is.[/B]? Kevin held out a tiny slip of what appeared to be a single sheet of paper.

Frowning, Gavrie took it from him. The actual paper was blank. It was the sealed message attached to it that was important. His frown deepened as he turned back to watch the fuss, a flash of blue caught his attention and suddenly he realized what was going on.

?[B]Is that who I think it is?[/B]?

?[B]Yes.[/B]?

?[B]So they sent him to deal with the mess here.[/B]?

?[B]That?s what I?ve heard.[/B]?

Gavrie gave off a tiny derisive snort. ?[B]I wonder if he even knows how to fight.[/B]?

?[B]I hear that he?s different from some of the other higher ups.[/B]? Kevin replied, shrugging when Gavrie gave him a long hard look.

With an audible sigh he turned his attention to the message he had been given. It only took a tiny whisper of energy to unlock it. Gavrie?s eyes widened when he realized what it said. [I]Those idiots![/I] He thought furiously.[I] I already told them I won?t do that anymore. [/I]

Gavrie destroyed the message, thoroughly irritated. He doubted anyone would listen to his objections. They hadn?t when Eliana?

?[B]I?m going on a walk for some fresh air.[/B]? Gavrie didn?t give Kevin a chance to say anything. ?[B]There?s no need for me to talk to the newest arrival anyway, I?ll be leaving shortly so it would be better if he worked with you anyway.[/B]? [/SIZE][/COLOR]