OtakuBoards

What to know about Japan

Sojio

Hey Guys/Gals,

I’m in my final year of high school and in 2009 I was planning to go and teach English (language) in Japan as a part of a certificate course offered here in Australia.

I’m currently learning Japanese which is the reason I’m not planning on going until 2009 ( i think it will take a while to learn).:animeangr

I’ve never been to Japan and I was in search of some advice from anyone who has traveled there for holidays etc.

Mainly things like what to see, what to expect, and hints and tips on things that I should or shouldn’t do. :catgirl:

[SIZE="1"]Ah, how awesome. I visited Japan in June/July. It was a great experience.

While there I did meet two guys who were living there and teaching english. Both were from diffrent parts of england. The older gentlemen(Jonothan) spoke fluent Japanese. The other guy was Callan, he was twenty-four I think. Callan spoke no Japanese atall, except for a few words he picked up from the kids of course.

Callan told me his job was quite easy. He told me that he taught elementary school children. In the monring he played football with them, which I guess would be like gym or P.E., whatever its called over there. Then lunch, then he taught them basic words, I mean really basic words. For example, one day he said he did a whole class on fruits and vegetables. Of course the teacing varies I'm sure, especially from age groups.

Teachers are required to basically dress formal when teaching in Japan, however this probebly varies aswell. I know Callan didn't follow this code, lol.

As for the traveling and getting around. For me, since I only know a few words of Japanese, when paying for something if I wasn't sure of the price, or what the cahier said, I would basically hold out my money and look confused, this works. Japanese are very polite, and its rare to be ripped off. However, it is possible.

The Japanese are usually quiet and keep to themselves. On trains the only people you usually hear talking are children, or parents and children. Usually it quiet. Most people are either playing games on their cell phones, listening to music with their heahphones, or playing there Gameboy DS. Even the elderly are playing games on the cell phones.

When going into restraunts, if you can't read what the dish is, just point to it. Do not tip, this is considered an insalt in Japan. Although, I have heard that in Tokyo they don't mind since it is more Western. I never tried it myself though.

Places to go? There are tons of places. Tokyo Tower is beautiful, I was there at night. Yokohama, you can watch baseball games here. The Emperial Palace. You can go inside I think, but you need to make arrangements like three weeks in advance. I only saw the outside, but I got a few good pictures. Asakusa is great for shopping, and has alot of shrines, and alot of other foreigners. It was weird seeing more Americans there. Kyoto and Osaka I'm told are quite amazing, by I wasn't able to go. They were over four hours away from where I was staying. Mt. Fuji! I wanted so badly to climb Fuji, but it opened two days before I had to leave. Theres so much more to see, just look online or in a travel book.

That reminds me..get a travel book of Japan. I have Frodors Japan. It helps with ideas of where to go, prices, etc. Plus mine came with a map of the train system.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sojio']Hey Guys/Gals,

I?m in my final year of high school and in 2009 I was planning to go and teach English (language) in Japan as a part of a certificate course offered here in Australia.

I?m currently learning Japanese which is the reason I?m not planning on going until 2009 ( i think it will take a while to learn).:animeangr

I?ve never been to Japan and I was in search of some advice from anyone who has traveled there for holidays etc.

Mainly things like what to see, what to expect, and hints and tips on things that I should or shouldn?t do. :catgirl:[/QUOTE]

That's very wicked, I'm planning on applying for that course when I finish school this year. I've been learning Japanese on and off for a few years and can speak it very basically. I've got more than a few phrase books and my friend Kendai is teaching me a bit. My basic rule is to always keep formal towards them, it is a show of respect and they'll be inclined to help you out if you need help.