OtakuBoards

Favorite Anime

2010DigitalBoy

[size=1][color=darkred]This is like my 4th-5th revision.

[b]01. Ghost in the Shell series[/b] - I have to see the movies, but I love both S.A.C seasons as well as Solid State Society. I'm gonna echo some bits from Kona-Moe's post. Mixing in action and mystery is always a nice thing because I like a lot of "who did it" or "how they did it (Ocean's Eleven)" films. The philisophical points are definately worth mentioning because of the comparisons they usually do which usually relates to real world stuff. It definately does make you think, but I normally don't care for stuff like that. The characters, while none are really exciting, they are great nonetheless. And again, the action is nicely animated. Speaking of animation, I compare almost everything to this in terms of animation, especially when people say _____ has the best animation. I also have no intentions of watching this in Japanese. The dub is just too good, and to try to follow an informative series like this with subtitles is a no-no for me.

[b]02. Cowboy Bebop[/b] - Believe it or not, the first episode I saw was the very last episode, and it was also the hooking point as well. I just had to see it from the beginning. This is the first anime I've seen where the entire cast was likable, but Spike and Vicious ultimately being the favorites of the series. The animation is top notch as well as the voice acting. Another series I wouldn't watch in Japanese. Favorite episodes mainly involved the storylines involving Spike because his are more action oriented. I also like the episode where [spoiler]food was attacking everyone[/spoiler].

[b]03. Black Lagoon[/b] - I think I've said this before but anytime a series start out with someone getting a punch to the face, I know I'm going to be in for a treat. The characters are great with Rock being a real surprise. A guy like him I'd usually end up hating because they're usually so wimpy that it gets annoying. [spoiler]But the guy stood up to a hotheaded girl with an itchy trigger finger[/spoiler]. Speaking of that girl, Revy and Balalaika are some awesome women. I know it sounds kind of demented for me to like some bloodthirsty females, but you have no idea how sick and tired I am of seeing women portrayed as frail damsels as main characters no less. It's great to finally see some strong women for a change. This is my replacement when I usually finish watch Cowboy Bebop. Black Lagoon has it's funny moments as well. (Involving the maid lol)

[b]04. Samurai Champloo[/b] - Like Zen, I'm a fan of martial arts and hip hop (on some ocassions). I'm even more of a fan of samurai. (Samurai themed series are what I look for first and foremost) After watching the fight between Jin and Mugen in the very first episode I was pretty much hooked to the series. Of course Mugen and Jin are my favorite characters. The way Mugen acts is how I usually prefer my comedy. My favorite episode is still the episode with the female kunoichi. [spoiler]I WANT MY NOOKIE!!!!![/spoiler]

[b]05. Fullmetal Alchemist[/b] - Finally started to learn how to enjoy the series. Despite me hating Ed and Al the other characters make up for it. The action/animation, and the rest of the characters are why I like this series. Roy Mustang is my favorite out of the bunch though. For him to be so cool-headed and calm, one would not even expect the reactions he gives. They caught me off-guard big time, and I like it. Again, it's always great to see a series that has some strong women in it. Hawkeye, Lust and Izumi are some of the greatest female characters I've seen in all the anime I've seen. (Major Kusanagi remains in the #1 spot though)

That's it for now. I'll come back with 6-10 a little later. My list has gone through quite a change.[/size][/color]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm? I think I tried to post in this thread awhile ago, but it ate my post. :/
Well, let?s try it again! And just let me say before I get into it that this is a list of my [i]favorites[/i], therefore some obvious anime (like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc.) won?t be on there. Doesn?t mean I don?t like them, just means they aren?t personal favorites. Also, the list is in no particular order, even though it?s still numbered.
Now that we?re done with that probably pointless disclaimer, on with the show!

[b]1) Planetes[/b]
Honest to goodness, I fell in love with this anime the first time I saw the frickin? trailer for it. Then when I actually [i]saw[/i] it, I practically died from the fan joy. It?s what I consider to be the best telling of future space exploration, and it could?ve done a lot of shizz considering the story takes place in 2075-76. But no, it?s presented in a very realistic and classy way. I just? ugh, I love everything about this anime. The opening is all kinds of awesome, too.

[b]2) .hack//SIGN & Roots[/b]
Hah, yes. I?m copping out. Instead of choosing between the two, I decided to just combine ?em. After all, I like them both for very similar reasons: good music, good characters overall, and a mostly interesting plot (even if it is slow, although I've never minded that). The animation is nice too, but it?s not always consistent so yeah.
The other major thing I like about these shows (and just the .hack series in general) is the setting. I find it intriguing that all this shizz would go down within an online game. Plus some of the other themes they explore (AIs having real emotions, anyone?) can get pretty interesting.

[b]3) Moribito[/b]
This is one gorgeous anime, oh my word! Production I.G. did a damn good job. But, that?s not the only reason I liked it. It has possibly the most sensible female protagonist ever. Balsa is just awesome (not to mention appropriately). The other characters in the anime are fun too, and I also really liked the music. Especially the opening ?Shine? by L?Arc~en~Ciel, oh my! One of my favorites ever~

[b]4) Eureka 7[/b]
Admittedly I haven?t seen this show in awhile (although I plan to fix that soon), but I remember it being very gripping. Sometimes it felt overly dramatic, however given their situation it?s mostly understandable. Plus, they had some very nice character development, along with good romantic relationships. They?re not easy, they?re complicated. But the show doesn?t needlessly string you around the entire time when it comes to people?s couple status, which is nice. If you stick around with E7 long enough, it rewards you for it, which I very much appreciated. :3

[b]5) Escaflowne[/b]
Okay, so this show is kind of insane. Not like Code Geass insane, but the plot can get a bit ridiculous at times. Despite that, I still love it. It has some great music, pretty darn good animation, and (in MY opinion) interesting characters. [spoiler]Although Allen is another story; he?s a total douche and I?m glad he didn?t get Hitomi in the end. :/[/spoiler] I remember when I first watched Escaflowne, how on-the-edge-of-my-seat I was; pretty much every episodes ends on a cliffhanger of some sort. That could be annoying, but hey if you have the entire series on DVD it doesn?t matter. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
[quote name='Magus' timestamp='1265253728' post='690209']
[size=1][color=darkred]This is like my 4th-5th revision.

01. Ghost in the Shell series
02. Cowboy Bebop
03. Black Lagoon
04. Samurai Champloo
05. Fullmetal Alchemist
[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Uhh, yeah because I have nothing better to do and I was browsing through this for some time now I decided to go ahead and revive this thingy, especially since this list has went through an overhaul.

01) [b]Samurai Champloo[/b] - First things first, it's been a long time since I've last seen this and I need to see it again. Secondly, it knocked GitS from the #1 spot. Anyway, same as always, my favorite episode is the one with the female kunoichi. The cast is great. The music is great as well as the animation. And then there's the fact that I just like samurai's and stories revolving around them (You're going to see this echoed a bit).

02) [b]Hellsing[/b] - Alucard (best character in anime). Unfortunately that's all I can really give here. While the artwork and animation is good it is inconsistent so I can't boast about that. There are other characters in the story but who really cares about them? Integra and Walter are the only other characters that I'd really pay attention to. If I were to focus on Seras I wouldn't like it so yeah. Alucard is the main reason I like this series. This will eventually get replaced with [i]Hellsing Ultimate[/i] once I see volume 5 or something.

03) [b]Black Lagoon[/b] - Not much really changed here. My Cowboy Bebop fix (and replacement :O)

04) [b]Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal[/b] - Kenshin's story never ceases to amaze me and again I just like samurai's lol. The animation is top notch as well as the fights. It's like Studio DEEN went all out on this especially when you compare it to the crappy animation in Samurai Deeper Kyo. It's like 2 different studios worked on those. I have to mention the music as well since there were a lot of tunes that stood out. I also like the voice work that's been put into it even though there have been people (elsewhere) saying that it should've never been dubbed (poo on them).

05) [b]Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex[/b] - Ah yes, I think this was my #1 for about 4-5 years now. The main reason why it dropped was because I wore myself out on it lol. I can't watch it like I used to anymore. The animation is still top-notch and I will still compare just about every anime to this when it comes to animation because it is just that great IMO. Once I see the rest of Moribito, GitS will probably come off the list and be replace by that.

06) [b]Gungrave[/b] - Till this day I still think this series has the best characterization out there (Although I really need to watch this again. It's been quite some time) Brandon Heat is great as well. Unfortunately I can't remember too much about the series right now outside of the characterization. I don't remember any of the music but I do remember the artwork being great... It's Madhouse for crying out loud.

07) [b]Rurouni Kenshin[/b] - I keep bouncing back and forth between this and Yu Yu Hakusho as best shonen series. Manga-wise it's definately Kenshin (and Psyren). But yeah, like I stated for T&B I like Kenshin's story not to mention there's Saitoh and Aoshi here as well. I'd like to buy this on dvd but my God this series is expensive. It's like there's no chance for any sites to put a sale on this series whatsofrigginever. The animation is inconsistent like other shonen series but the thing with RK is that the fights are still good during those inconsistencies. I can't stand the openings for RK but a lot of the BGM's are great. I really like Departure

08) [b]Hakuouki: Shinsengumi Kitan/Hekketsu-roku[/b] - Where to begin? The characters. This is a character driven series. I think it tells a decent story but the characters really drives this thing forward. The way they interact with each is up there with Gungrave (well, not quite but it's high). [strike]Once more I like samurai's[/strike] The animation is really good although it starts off really slow, like there's no intensity but around the 8th episode is where it picks up steam. The fights are great. Again, it's hard to believe Studio DEEN did this when you compare it to Samurai Deeper Kyo. It's not on Samurai X level but everything is definately nice to look at. While I don't know much about the Shinsengumi outside of what I've seen here and from other stories (Rurouni Kenshin) I would think they're sticking close to what they were like even though everyone here is a pretty boy.

09) [b]Basilisk[/b] - I'm not into romance but I seem to be falling for some of these action series with romance in them lately (Hakuouki has some romance in it and then there's Kenshin. Got me questioning my manliness.... kidding aside, if there's action in it I'd be open in checking more out). Romance set aside, this is how I prefer my ninja's, brutal. None of that kiddy stuff. Artwork and animation is great... (I usually don't pay attention to "hotness" or whatever in anime but have you seen the women in Basilisk? Had to catch myself a couple of times) Characters are great except Tenzen and I forgot that bald guy's name along with the hairy guy. I can't fully remember but I think I did like the music as well. Plus Gennosuke's ability rocks.

10) [b]Death Note[/b] - I liked seeing the battle of wits between Light and L. As a matter of fact Death Note is the cause of me wanting to see more shows with people actually using their heads when they're fighting. Artwork is great. I'd probably say this was Madhouse's best show when it comes to the artwork. That was some superb stuff. Animation, while I don't think there was anything special about it (since I usually talk about animation when it comes to fighting) there was some over-the-top moments that had me laughing but it was still nice, specifically the part where [spoiler]I forgot his name but the 4th Kira (I think) was writing names and saying delete. I seem to recall him writing so many names and it actually ended with him twisting or something[/spoiler]. Yeah, funny stuff. I do think the 2nd half of the series lost its steam compared to the manga (there was a lot missing) but I still enjoyed it.

And there you have it. Cowboy Bebop's no longer on the list. I like Spike and Vicious an whatnot but I'm tired of it. I appreciate it but it finally ran its course. Fullmetal, yeah, Ed ruined that one for me again and besides I like Brotherhood over it.

Some honorable mentions

Code Geass
Gundam 00
Yu Yu Hakusho
Fairy Tail