OtakuBoards

Higher Education (College, Uni .ect...)

Vicky

[SIZE=1]lol thread.

Anyways, I'm in my final high school year which is a ***** at the moment. I've been looking at colleges for the past year or so, and I've yet to decide on one in England. I thought it'd be cool to have a thread about this... college seems important, since it's not compulsory and for the first time it's your choice to learn or not. Maybe if anyone has any ideas or anything they want to discuss about University or College they could say it here. Like where you're at and where you're going, what you're doing and why you're doing it. I dunno.

I myself am putting in an application for Holy Cross (Google it, UK one), Loreto being second choice and if it goes bad I'm going to a crappy Salford college. My main concern is both colleges on my priority, while being very good, are Catholic (I've been forced to a Catholic school twice). Holy Cross is the 8th best college in the UK and closest to home, but like I said, it's Catholic (my RE grade is actually 100% at the moment, so there's no problem with the religious subjects, [i]just the religion[/i]). It's a bit crap really - I don't want to go to another Catholic school, but this college looks incredibly promising.

After that I'm going to the best University I can. Not to sound arrogant, but I have the academic capability to get into Cambridge or Oxford (there's three of us who've been talking about this with our teachers). The only problem is, Oxford is still taking people in based on their background... Cambridge the same. There's been a few people who didn't get in because they came from the Salford or Manchester area (... which is [i]not[/i] renowned for its intelligent students). That's pretty annoying.

Holy Cross has links to some University in Ohio though, so I might come visit you crazy Americans if I can and chill there for a bit ^_~

But for someone who hasn't gone to college before... duh... I'm a bit worried about people. I'm used to being insulted or shunned in school by people who don't know me, and I won't know anyone in college. Does anyone know what kind of attitude I should expect? 'cause I'm rather paranoid about the whole new people... thing...

Yay for my first Lounge thread in a year...[/SIZE]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]But for someone who hasn't gone to college before... duh... I'm a bit worried about people. I'm used to being insulted or shunned in school by people who don't know me, and I won't know anyone in college. Does anyone know what kind of attitude I should expect? 'cause I'm rather paranoid about the whole new people... thing...

Yay for my first Lounge thread in a year...[/SIZE][/QUOTE] [COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]Well, I wouldn't worry about the people too much, university is so much different than secondary/high school. I'm actually in my first year of college and already I've met so many interesting people. (I mean heck, there's a kid I know who's Chinese, but he has an English accent, and lives in New Jersey.)

I was extremely nervous too, I mean, you're right, it's one of our first real decisions that we make on our own. And after that, it's one after the other.

There are so many people, cultures, and beliefs intertwined here at University. And once you get there, you realize that everyone else is just as afraid as you are because you are all out of your comfort zone; a lot of people are more accepting.

I think what's harder is finding your little niche within it, but even then it's a lot of fun exploring all the different clubs and what not. But eventually, you'll learn to get comfortable with it and I'm sure it'll be a nice, snug fit. You'll even miss it when you return home for a break.

But either way I hope this helps you, and good luck with the process![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]But for someone who hasn't gone to college before... duh... I'm a bit worried about people. I'm used to being insulted or shunned in school by people who don't know me, and I won't know anyone in college. Does anyone know what kind of attitude I should expect? 'cause I'm rather paranoid about the whole new people... thing...[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]This may not be true elsewhere, especially where you're from, but in my experience the shunning is not nearly as prevalent. It still happens, but it's nowhere near the norm. College folk are, for the most part, pretty open and accepting.

Just be ready for a whole lot of pretention.[/color]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]
But for someone who hasn't gone to college before... duh... I'm a bit worried about people. I'm used to being insulted or shunned in school by people who don't know me, and I won't know anyone in college. Does anyone know what kind of attitude I should expect? 'cause I'm rather paranoid about the whole new people... thing...

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] I think that if you go to a college of your mental strength and fit, the people there will be similar to you. And the fact that college is just big and there are tons of clubs and activities that you can join and meet like-minded people in is reassuring. At the same time, I've heard from college students that when you arrive at a school that's different from what you expected, it takes a bit longer to find your niche.

It's cool that you're applying to schools abroad, and brave. :) I'm pretty content with staying in the US of A.

I used to stress over my essay, but I finally wrote it and I've given it to my teacher to look over. So thank god that's over.

The main problem I have right now, though, is just picking one or two more colleges to apply to. I've already know 5 for sure (University of Georgia, Emory, Northwestern, Columbia, New York University), but I need to pick another safety and another match so I'll be applying to a good range of schools. Any suggestions would be nice; I'd definitely research up on them.[/font]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Uh, as for the new people concern i would have to say it depends greatly on the college you go to. Make sure you visit all of the colleges you're looking at and get a good feel for them. When you're there you want to really like it. Pick the one you feel that you fit in the best. And don't base your decision too heavily on national standings. Your college experience and education isn't based on that number.

Just try joining clubs and talk to people. Don't be shy. Have fun man.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I was thinking that it would depend on the college too... a friend of mine goes to a college near my house and when I asked him, he said it was good, but full of annoying kids (we share one thing in common: a mohican, which'll be massive by college, and I do not like ghetto kids touching my hair...). To say the least my dress sense [i]definitely[/i] draws a lot of attention to me... so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Think I got all the subjects I wanted to take sorted out as well. Not too bothered about what they can do for me in life, rather how interesting they'd be. What do you guys think about some subjects? I think they'll be some variation between American and European colleges, though it's your choice in higher education... anyone think some subjects are a bit pointless? It's also a bit pointless that you can't take Modern History and Classic Civilization alongside each other... if you want to be a historian of some sort, you can only learn about one period, lol.

I definitely think I'll go over to America for University now. I was looking on the internet and it looks well fun ^_^

Bit scary though =/[/SIZE]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]
I definitely think I'll go over to America for University now. I was looking on the internet and it looks well fun ^_^

Bit scary though =/[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]Fun, yes! Scary, no!
I'm in the process of applying to colleges, too. I'm staying in the good ol' state of Indiana... and I have to go to bed now. Will edit later.

[B]Edit.[/B]
So anyway, my top choice is Butler University. Second is DePauw. Third, IU. Fourth, Ball State. Pretty pathetic... but there are only 9 schools in Indiana that offer my major, Music Business.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Vicky;792258][SIZE=1]I myself am putting in an application for Holy Cross (Google it, UK one), Loreto being second choice and if it goes bad I'm going to a crappy Salford college. My main concern is both colleges on my priority, while being very good, are Catholic (I've been forced to a Catholic school twice). Holy Cross is the 8th best college in the UK and closest to home, but like I said, it's Catholic (my RE grade is actually 100% at the moment, so there's no problem with the religious subjects, [i]just the religion[/i]). It's a bit crap really - I don't want to go to another Catholic school, but this college looks incredibly promising.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]My advise? Don't go to a religious school if you're not interested in the religion. Find one that doesn't require it. Some of my friends tried that approach and ended up transferring to another college within a year since they hated the religion aspect to it. Not that you wouldn't do well, it's just that all of them after a while got tired of tolerating what they saw as an unnecessary part of their overall education.[quote name='Vicky;792258][SIZE=1]After that I'm going to the best University I can. Not to sound arrogant, but I have the academic capability to get into Cambridge or Oxford (there's three of us who've been talking about this with our teachers). The only problem is, Oxford is still taking people in based on their background... Cambridge the same. There's been a few people who didn't get in because they came from the Salford or Manchester area (... which is [i]not[/i'] renowned for its intelligent students). That's pretty annoying.[/SIZE][/quote]I won't worry about this too much either. Sure it's important to pick a good university, but you can run into the same problem as one can with the religious aspect. Having an atmosphere that is too stifling. That and some of those places are totally expensive to attend. I looked at some of those when I first got ready too and ended up staying at home and attending the University here. Though it helps that they have an excellent program for my major. Heh.[QUOTE=Vicky'][SIZE=1]Holy Cross has links to some University in Ohio though, so I might come visit you crazy Americans if I can and chill there for a bit ^_~

Yay for my first Lounge thread in a year...[/SIZE][/QUOTE]We've definitely got plenty of great colleges over here, so if you're looking for a totally different experience, the more the merrier. I know that here in Utah, we get a lot of Japanese students since even with paying the high tuition rate and with living expenses, it's still cheaper for them to attend school here than it is in Japan. Who knows? It might be the same for where you are too.

And for being shunned? lol If the college is any size at all, there are just too many people for you to not find someone that you'll get along with and be friends with. College is way better than High School in that respect. It's a little off at first since there are so many people that it will seem like you won't meet anyone. But once things get going, you usually do. :)

In all honesty, you're more likely to be treated coldly at one of those schools that is privately run and owned by a religion than at a regular college. Especially if you aren't a member of the religion that runs the school.

Anyway, best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

[SIZE=1]I'm on that dreaded year right now. The filling in of the UCAS form, the tedious writing of the personal statement, the endless possibilities of universities and courses...it goes on.

I'm interested in doing a film studies degree, possibly combined with something else as well. Universities I'm looking at that do good film courses include Bangor (that's in North Wales), Bournemouth and King's College London. I never really considered Oxford or Cambridge, as I know for a fact I'm not intelligent enough (lol at me being dumb), and apparently the atmosphere there is a lot different if you are coming from a public school, which I am.

I'm not overly concerned with meeting new people - my brother managed to make a bunch of new friends in his first few days there (apparently he met most of them in queues), so I'm not too worried. I had a talk at my college where the guy told us that the first person you meet will be a total weirdo who has never had a friend in his (or her) life, and you've got yourself an instant stalker. That's the part that worries me.

And if you're worried about your dress sense drawing attention to you - there are bound to be dozens of people who will get more attention than you.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="HotPink"]One of my friends is skipping out. He's going into the airforce. Another got his GED. As for me, I intend..on...going to college...but not any particular.

Just a nice...University somewhere in AR. I'm focusing on my music. While, I may never be able to make a career out of being in a band, I still love music, and I'm going to play it no matter what. Hopefully I can get a scholarship for music, art, writing, or something... I don't know.

So, I'll get a higher education, but for the most part, I really don't care. Maybe I'll take some art classes... I may play college sports.. Right now, I'm just trying to get through high-school.

I just don't want to end up like alot of other people, working at the 7-11, and being miserable.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]