OtakuBoards

How do you start a manga?

Guest CrazyandLazy

Guest CrazyandLazy
So to start a manga the steps are as follows right?

1.Story
2.Characters
3.Draw panels
4.Draw characters/actions
5.Draw text boxs

I am really confused. Did anyone start a manga before? I need serious guidelines mainly in drawing the actual thing(panel/text/character). Right now I am only writing the script.

Guest CrazyandLazy
ANyways I have already started and finished a chapter. I am now [praticing my artwork so that I can illustrate the chapter. Then I will write agaian.

My question now is...does manga panels start from the right or the left? I know it might be a noob question but I want to know.

[quote name='CrazyandLazy']My question now is...does manga panels start from the right or the left? I know it might be a noob question but I want to know.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't really matter, but if you want the "authentic" (i.e. Japanese style) feel, start on the right. If you're still confused, pick up a Shonen Jump. That's the format the Japanese Mangaka use.

The order, to be perfectly honest, doesn't really matter. I choose characters and develop them first, and then I create a plot about those characters (e.g. What if a priest from 14th century France met one of Queen Elizabeth I's ladies in waiting) and go from there. I create a script, then draw it (in the order of characters, panels, words), but once again the order of those steps can be moved around to accommodate how you work best creatively.

As far as the left to right or right to left issue goes, it may be up to you, but it annoys me when people who use the Romance languages choose the right to left format. English is read from left to right, so the comic should be formatted in that way.

The only reason that manga is read right to left is because Japanese is written/read that way and it's the way that their eyes naturally read books. Viz and other manga companies used to flip the artwork so that it was read more naturally by American audiences, but this often distorted the original artistic intent of the mangaka.

What I'm getting at is please please please if your "manga" is going to be in English have it so it can be read from left to right.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Chikara Kokoro']The order, to be perfectly honest, doesn't really matter. I choose characters and develop them first, and then I create a plot about those characters (e.g. What if a priest from 14th century France met one of Queen Elizabeth I's ladies in waiting) and go from there. I create a script, then draw it (in the order of characters, panels, words), but once again the order of those steps can be moved around to accommodate how you work best creatively.

As far as the left to right or right to left issue goes, it may be up to you, but it annoys me when people who use the Romance languages choose the right to left format. English is read from left to right, so the comic should be formatted in that way.

The only reason that manga is read right to left is because Japanese is written/read that way and it's the way that their eyes naturally read books. Viz and other manga companies used to flip the artwork so that it was read more naturally by American audiences, but this often distorted the original artistic intent of the mangaka.

What I'm getting at is please please please if your "manga" is going to be in English have it so it can be read from left to right.[/QUOTE]

Well I am an American mangaka, but I can only read manga right-to-left, so I don't see how I would go about making it left-to-right. I think deciding to go authentic manga style (Right-to-left) or American manga style (Left-to-right) is all about personal preference, or however you prefer to draw. I personally can't draw manga left-to-right, so i will do right-to-left and go to a publisher that won't flip/mirror image my manga. Thats in my opinion anyway.