OtakuBoards

Mysterious Girlfriend X

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/Cover003.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

[url=http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4771]Nazo no Kanojo X[/url] (Mysterious Girlfriend X) is... an odd tale to say the least. The main character is Tsubaki Akira, your normal good high-schooler. However, the story begins when Urabe Mikoto transfers into his class. Urabe is an antisocial girl who sleeps through breaks and lunch. One day, Tsubaki goes back to the classroom to grab something and Urabe is still at her desk, fast alseep and drooling a puddle. Without thinking, he puts his finger into the drool... and tases it!

The next day, Tsubaki feels rather sick and winds up with a high fever, staying home from school a few days. While he's in bed at home, he gets a visit from Urabe. Urabe gets him to admit that when he saw her laying on the desk, he fell in love with her, and she reveals to him that he is having withdrawal symptoms from her drool - that he's become addicted to it.

And so the two set up a ritual where they walk home from school together and each day, before they part, Urabe lets him laste her drool via licking it from her finger. Before long, Tsubaki and Urabe become girlfriend and boyfriend.

Nazo no Kanojo is awesome in more ways than I could easily detail. First of all, it's a manga that isn't focused on courtship like everything-else but about the growth of the characters' strange relationship. We continually learn more about the characters' emotions and -shock!- the relationship actually progresses! Not only that, but the pair have the most awesome way of communicating emotions ever - via drool and dreams.

Urabe is probably one of the most original and awesome characters I'vee seen in a while and she's got the best down-to-earth attitude i've seen pulled off. Both of the characters are very 3-Dimentional in emotion and attitude.

The first volume of the manga almost exclusively is about the two characters, and a lot of it takes place in the same scenery (the way home) but in chapter 4 we are introduced to Tsubaki's friend Ueda and his own girlfriend whom's relationship in some ways parallels Tsubaki and Urabe's. There is a lot of oddity going on in this series, but it doesn't flaunt itself. Urabe's hobby is to carry around a pair of scissors in her panties and chop things to bits, for instance. And there are seeral scenes (usually a full-page illustration) of Tsubaki's dreams with Urabe (usually very intimate) in a strange world. Plus the whole drool thing is just odd.

But the main focus is the relationship and emotions which are done extremely well. The story is very warmhearted, too, with a bit of a comedy aspect to it.

The manga-ka also did the story Yume Tsukai which is apparently known for being rather disturbing due to "oddly placed sex and the like" so I'm sure we can look forward to no limits in what to expect in this story. [/COLOR]

• 2 years later...
I love this series, and it surprises me that it's not as popular as I'd hope it would be. I'd like to see more people get interested in it so that can see more wallpapers online other than mine. I've been wanting to but the Kodonsha issues that have the chapters, but i don't have any cash :animecry:, I hope it will be published one day.