OtakuBoards

Rogue Galaxy

Rachmaninoff

I just picked this up the other day so I?ve only played it for a little bit, but basically the story is about a youth named Jaster Rouge who dreams of exploring the galaxy. Due to a misunderstanding he ends up recruited by a gang of space pirates who mistook him for the legendary hunter, Desert Claw. So he joins the crew and leaves his home planet of Rosa to search for a legendary planet which is key to secrets and wealth.

Now as for the actual game play, it?s basically hack and slash to a certain extent as things happen in real time and enemies can vary in that you have to perform special moves to even be able to damage them. One of the first major fights you have is with giants that can only be damaged by jumping and slashing the top. There are suppose to be Tech attacks, or rather team attacks but I haven?t really gotten far enough to test it out yet. Still so far it is interesting other than it does require actually running around a bit in the beginning to level up before going after the more difficult enemies.

The music so far is engaging which is always a plus and it?s got a good cast for doing the voice acting which is always a plus as well. Even if the dialogue is a bit cheesy, good voice actors help to make up for that. But so far the dialogue hasn?t been bad.

I also like the graphics to the game, they remind me of Dragon Quest VIII actually, with the cel shaded look and beautifully done cut scenes so far. Overall, unless something happens, it?s looking like it?s going to be a really fun game to play. So anyone else played this? And if so what was your take on it?

It's a good game with a fair amount of depth to it as well. I think I got about 14 hours into it but university-life overtook so I couldn't quite involve myself with it as much as I would've liked.

One thing I appreciated the most about the game is that there are a few major side-quests that you can involve yourself in and they're actually fun. Usually in an RPG I'll play a side-quest just for the sake of doing so in the name of completion but they're well written into the storyline.

You made a good purchase so I hope you enjoy it.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]So I bought Rogue Galaxy on a whim back when Gamestop still liked me. And it was amazing. I beat the game several times over. I did sidequests, but not the Insectrons [because it was too much like ugly Pokemon], and generally made myself useful. I got the bikinis for the women because let's face it, when you have a choice between covering skin and showing it... ALWAYS SHOW.

I think making the costumes change was a good move, as well as the general combat. The two weapons keep it from being repetitive, and the sheer volume of weapons possible with all the combinations make it totally worthwhile. And addictive as Premium crack cocaine. Good work Level 5.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Sounds interesting. I'm planning on getting a PS2 sometime soon, but I had no idea what I wanted aside from Tales of the Abyss and Guitar Hero. DDR is probably a must, too.

Anyway, I like what I hear about this one. RPGs with active battle systems are always a plus for me. I like space and I like pirates, so that's there, too. One question, is this voice acted? If so, are the voices annoying and can you turn them off? I don't really care too much, but quality voice acting is something I tend to enjoy in games.

[quote name='Aceburner']Anyway, I like what I hear about this one. RPGs with active battle systems are always a plus for me. I like space and I like pirates, so that's there, too. One question, is this voice acted? If so, are the voices annoying and can you turn them off? I don't really care too much, but quality voice acting is something I tend to enjoy in games.[/QUOTE]Yes it is voice acted, to give you an idea, even though he isn't the main character, one of the voice actors is the same one who did the voice for Spike in Cowboy Bebop. So far, everyone I've heard in the game is good. Though I'm not that far into it. As for turning the voices off... I know you can skip the cut scenes, but I don't know if you can toggle the voices off or not. Or rather the option to turn chat and battle messages is on. I'd have to actually turn it off and see what happens. I can give that a try the next time I play it. But unless it goes weird on me, I'd say you have nothing to worry about since it's excellent so far.

[COLOR="SlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Oooooh Rogue Galaxy rocks! To me it's most certainly the best RPG ever.
It's got everything you need; A great story, likable characters, neat battle system, and of course in this particular game's case: Level 5's most cherished 'create-it' system. Not to mention it takes forever and a day to beat the main story-line and then you've got so many side-quests to do you might as well grab a stick cause you're gonna shake it at Rogue Galaxy.

Really it just did the RPG genre the right way for the new age.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 4 months later...
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]So, I started playing this yesterday. (re-purchased on Monday) And for the most part I'm very impressed. One thing I wish these people would stop doing is making dorky, wimpy looking characters as the main character. Nothing against Jaster (for now), but playing as some boy who has a goal is growing really tiresome now. (And characters like that tends to be real naive.)

Speaking of characters, I'm not even 30 minutes into the 2nd chapter, and Zegram (sp?) is already my favorite character. He resembles Snake (Big Boss).

Gameplay, so far is pretty good. It's similar to Kingdom Hearts, but it limits itself from being just like it by the use of a subweapon and an action gauge.

The story.. A boy wanting to travel in space... I don't think I need to go any further lol. Actually, it's pretty decent so far. I haven't stumbled across any annoying characters outside of that cat.

The voice acting, like Rach said, is pretty solid. This ought to keep me occupied for a while. (And even if it didn't, I also have Dragon Quest to try out.)[/SIZE][/COLOR]