OtakuBoards

Choices: the Thread

desertphoenix

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]Just another thread about getting to know people.

Last year, my health teacher gave my class an as assignment about the choices we have made in our lives. He asked us to write about four simple questions which are a little hazy to me right now. I liked them, and I thought they were a cool way to get to know people.

You don?t have to answer all questions, but you can choose any you feel like sharing.

[COLOR="Black"]1. What was the first choice you?ve made that you can remember?
2. What was the best choice you ever made?
3. What was the worst choice you ever made?
4. What was the hardest choice you ever made?[/COLOR]

For me:
1. When I was 5 living in Georgia, I decided to take over the lawnmower when my mom went to go pick up some sticks that were in the way. I accidentally stepped in a fire ant hill. They got all over my feet and stung at once, but luckily my mom hosed my feet down.

4. My hardest choice was to stay at my new high school were I?ve met some new friends or stay at my old school with friends I thought I would keep for life. It came down to the schools themselves, and I decided to stay at my new high school.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

1. The first choice I ever made was whether to breathe or not. Turns out I picked the right choice.

2. The best choice I ever made was to check out The Clash. Their music has shaped my life.

3. The worst choice I ever made was to purchase Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill on cassette

4. The hardest choice I ever had to make was deciding to move from California back to Massachusetts.

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE] 3. The worst choice I ever made was to purchase Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill on cassette[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Oh come on, man. I love Alanis. >.>

Anyway, here we go!

1. I honestly don't remember. I sat here for about 6 minutes trying to figure it out, and I don't remember.

2. The best choice I ever made... hmm. I don't make many good choices. But I think it was a split-second decision, and that was going with my mom to Minnesota.

3. This is an easy one. Not really a decision, but something I wish I'd done. And that's taken my brother with me to Minnesota. He'd still be here with me. He's been adopted now, because we left him in my grandparents' care, and they obviously couldn't take care of him. He'd still be with me if I'd just said '**** it!' and told my mom to bring him with us.

4. The hardest choice... hmm... probably the same as #2. The best and the hardest decision I've ever made.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Alright, lets see here

1. I can't recall the first decision I ever made. Sorry.

2. The best decision I ever made was to join the army.

3. The worst I ever made was to smoke pot in high school

4. And the hardest decision I ever had to make was kill or be killed. And since I'm here writing this message I think we all know what choice I made.

[QUOTE]1. What was the first choice you’ve made that you can remember?
4. What was the hardest choice you ever made?[/QUOTE]

Those are all very thought provoking questions, kind of similar to some contemplations I've been doing about my own life lately so the answers come easily to me right now.

1. The first choice I made that was of significance in my life was actually one I made in the first grade. A friend of mine had not been feeling well since school started one day, so she chose to sit out of a rather pointless exercise on the lines of dodgeball in Phys. Ed. class that day. I chose to sit out with her, not because I hated the game they were playing, or because the teacher really shouldn't have been in charge of younger kids (he had a mean streak like you wouldn't believe), but because I was concerned for my friend.

2. That would be when I made it to High School. I had been home schooled for a while and when I worked back into the public school system in a new state a couple grades prior, I never really fit in with the locals where I was then. I had turned into a quiet, shy and easily bullied kid. A lot of people had told me that taking a theatre class might help me get over that, so when High School came around, I took Theatre as my elective, best decision I ever made. That class really opened me up, and hooked me on one of my passions, effects make-up.

3. I have enough skeletons in my closet to write the book on bad life choices, but I'll spare you all the details and hit one one particular bad choice that stands out in my mind. I'm one of those people who have extremely bad luck when it comes to certain things, one of which is actually getting a job (for the record, I'm 27, not in college or anything like that). A couple years ago, I chose to give the state employment agency (like a publicly funded, brick and mortar physically located version of those resume posting websites) a try. I had no idea that I was stepping into a hornet's nest of lies, corruption, and laziness. Needless to say, that never panned out and some letters I'd sent to "important" people in my state government just took and made the victim (me) the enemy. So that's really a two pronged bad choice, I chose to put my faith in an agency that was set up to help people like me find work, and when they violated my rights, I poorly chose to believe that higher members of government would actually help correct the situation.

4. I have quite a list that could go here as well, there are many equally tough choices I've made over the years. There were actually two that bore a significant impact not only on myself, but my family as well. I'll only share the one here since I could go one for hours about the other. When I first got my learner's permit to learn to drive a car back when I was fifteen, I had to compete with my older brother to get the car and only actually drove one single time that whole year. Now my dad and brother both got upset with me when I turned sixteen and had to tell them both that A) I was not going to take the test to get the Junior Operator's license B) a 30 day extension of the learner's Permit would not be enough time to teach me to drive properly to get the Junior Operator's license later, and C) actually being behind the wheel of a car petrifies me with fear. That last key point does have a name. It's a documented phobia, Amaxophobia. If you've ever seen the Spongebob Squarepants episodes where he's learning to drive a boat, that's one of the best examples of what Amaxophobia is. Everything is fine till the person who suffers it is behind the wheel (some more severe cases people can't even ride in cars). I didn't come to the decision not to drive lightly, it was something that took me six months or more (from the one time I drove till the permit came up for renewal or graduation) to finally decide on.

[quote name='Starwind']
3. The worst I ever made was to smoke pot in high school

[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I've always wondered why marijuana seems to mess up peoples' lives. And why certain people have such a huge problem with, quoting South Park, 'a plant that makes you dumb'.
Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

I just wanted to post to say I'm glad that people are posting on this thread again, being as it was all but ignored for almost a month.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="1234"]1. Coming out of my mom's [spoiler]cooch. It was a dark and dreary day for the world. Everything smelled of fish and decaying malice[/spoiler], and from the abyss of darkness came I, Premonition.

2. Best choice I've ever made was switching form Hip-Hop & Rap to rock & Metal, it's made a HUGE impact on my life mentally& psychically.

3. Worst choice was believing I was bi. I was very confused, I thought I was something I wasn't'. Mostly the reason I thought I was bi, was because I couldn't find a gf, so I thought I could go to guys for that empty space. It has made me realize that gays and bi's and all them aren't bad people. But it was one of the reasons I almost killed myself last year. It was a double-edged sword actually.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE='[Sound_Nin];806730'][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]
I just wanted to post to say I'm glad that people are posting on this thread again, being as it was all but ignored for almost a month.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]Quoted for truth, because I could had sworn this thread died. Through the ashes my friend.

Anyways, I'm on the same boat with [COLOR="Black"]CosmicSailor's [/COLOR]#4. My permit is about to expire in August, and I haven't really made a great effort to get my license. I guess because I really don't care that much for driving. I usually get really nervous when I do get around to doing it. I can drive a lot better then when I started and I have a bit more confidence now, but I don't think I'll pass the test for my license any time soon. Besides, my family only has one car right now anyways.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

edit:
[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="1234"]1. Coming out of my mom's [spoiler]cooch. It was a dark and dreary day for the world. Everything smelled of fish and decaying malice[/spoiler], and from the abyss of darkness came I, Premonition.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkRed"] Quoted for Inspirational[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR=#123400]3. Worst choice was believing I was bi. I was very confused, I thought I was something I wasn't'. Mostly the reason I thought I was bi, was because I couldn't find a gf, so I thought I could go to guys for that empty space. It has made me realize that gays and bi's and all them aren't bad people. But it was one of the reasons I almost killed myself last year. It was a double-edged sword actually.[/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I can see why it'd be sort of a bad thing, thinking that. But I always say, ... I forgot. Well it had to do with experimenting and figuring yourself out.
But it's good that you got to realise that non-straight people aren't 'evil, immoral, vile creatures'.

[/FONT][/COLOR] [quote][COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Verdana]Quoted for truth, because I could had sworn this thread died. Through the ashes my friend.[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I've resurrected two threads this week (maybe three, I forget.). I've got the magic touch, man. >.>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]1. What was the first choice you’ve made that you can remember?
Should i stay or should i go now?

Ok, honestly, i just looked around and saw most people gave crappy half-joke answers. My answer was in honor of those brave souls out there making them look stupid so that others may look better.

I don't think this can be answered. To truly know the best choice you'd have to know what would've happened if you chose the other thing(s). But i guess my best choice was not racing Biff at the red light, cuz if i did i would've ran straight into that car ruining my career as a guitarist and professional musician for the rest of my life.

I decided to go shot for shot with vodka with my roommate one monday ago. I got obliterated, threw up everywhere, and had a hangover the next day causing me to miss class. And it's not fun cleaning up puke while hungover.

4. What was the hardest choice you ever made?
I'm not sure. But right now i'm trying to decide on whether i want to change my major to physics, to remain in biomedical engineering, or to choose some other science related major. I was also thinking about astronomy and biology. Astronomy is related to physics so i was thinking about physics with a minor in astronomy.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black]1. What was the first choice you?ve made that you can remember?
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]? This makes it difficult considering you have to remember it. Hmm. Well, when I was around 5, I grabbed the steering wheel of our truck that my family was in on our way home. I jerked it completely to the left and we went into a ditch and almost flipped over. I was angry because my father was yelling at me for something.
At around the same age, I also knocked down my door with a baseball bat because my older sister and babysitter were trying to force me to take a nap and they locked me in my room.
I'm not positive which event came first, but I do know that they happened at the same age, so I'd go with one or the other.
[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]? Realizing in 8th grade that blatantly choosing to conform was about the stupidest thing I could ever do and that it wasn't worth it.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]? Choosing to be lazy and not work even remotely hard throughout high school.
4. What was the hardest choice you ever made?
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]? [I]See #2. [/I]It was probably my most difficult choice just because I lost every single one of my 'friends'. It's a very tough thing to go through at that age since you think stereotypes and groups are life. Add that I was headed to high school feeling like a complete outcast, and it wasn't really a great time. I don't regret it one bit, though.
[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]