OtakuBoards

Mentally Retarded at birth.

Will2x

Would you keep your baby if it was retarded?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep your baby if it was retarded?

• Yes, Its part of me.
    • NO WAY! Im not going to live the rest of my life taking care of him/her
    • im dont really know..
    • id put it up for adoption, or let one my relatives who want a child have it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Will2x [/i]
[B]If you had a retarded baby would keep it? I mean really really retarded, like it wouldnt never learn to talk and was some what deformed. And partially blind.

What would you do? [/B][/QUOTE]
I wouldn't keep a 'retarded' baby. If the doctors told me before hand, I'd have an abortion. I know this may sound a bit harsh, but I don't want to bring it into the world because [i]I[/i] see the world with a cynical and pessimistic face. I guess Im doing it a favor by killing it in my womb before its born, and has others tease it..without understanding that they are teasing it. Anyway, to me if you can't form opinions and contribute anything to the world, you're better off dead.

But, if there were new medical treatments for the....'removal' of retardation, I'd keep the baby.

[color=indigo]Okay I'm editing my original post b/c it was way too personal, however i will say this, If my wife was to be pregnant with a child and found out early enough that there would be complications with the childs birth then I would support an abortion. If my child was born mentally disabled, would I put it up for adoption, no way in hell.[/color]

i'd keep the child. a baby is a living thing, no matter if it is retarted or not. if it is, that's how God planned it. i don't see how ANYONE could ever KILL a baby and live with themselves. but the world is a sick place...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Navi [/i]
[B]
I wouldn't keep a 'retarded' baby. If the doctors told me before hand, I'd have an abortion. I know this may sound a bit harsh, but I don't want to bring it into the world because [i]I[/i] see the world with a cynical and pessimistic face. I guess Im doing it a favor by killing it in my womb before its born, and has others tease it..without understanding that they are teasing it. Anyway, to me if you can't form opinions and contribute anything to the world, you're better off dead. [/B][/QUOTE]

ok that makes sense i can see where you coming from.
same for you 2 goten and heavens angel. all good points.

but id rather try and avoid the situation instead of dealing with it.

I would absolutely keep the baby!! Everyone has something special about them and everyone deserves the chance to succeed at life even if they are handicapped. This question makes it sound like people who are mentally or physically handicapped are below everyone else and that really is not the case. They are just as important and special as the "normal" people in this world and they are the nicest and most accepting people I know...they don't judge people like everyone judges them and we need more people like that in the world!

I kno what u mean,the kids in my classes,most of them anyway,don't like the lp kids,but I sit by one in english,he's nice and sweet and funny,actually,he's cute too,but u know,I wouldn't give up a baby just cause of that,I'd help them b the best they can be:)

[color=deeppink]I'm afraid your terms aren't quite PC, Will. If you want to sound semi-correct, use mentally challenged...retarded is one of the biggest derogatory terms and I hate it.

I'm trying really hard to not give my opinion on this because it is extremely one sided...of course I would keep the baby!

Gah, ok, I'm not going to get mad...but don't be surprised if this topic gets suddenly closed due to ignorance of our fellow members.[/color]

I guess that I'd have to be in that situation to really make the call. However, I do know that I would not kill the child. Murdering an innocent life, an innocent child, just because he/she is different is wrong.

If I knew that I couldn't take care of him/her, I'd find the right home or institution that could give the person a decent life. Then again, like I said before, I'd have to be in that position.

i would have to be a good father and say i want to keep the child no matter what flaws he/she may have. the child is mine i help in creating it, and it is life and no matter what types of problems it may have it is beautiful because it is from me and the one that i love(or at least i hope it will be that way). if the one i am withat the time chooses not to keep the child then i will be forced to leave her because it is not right abandon a helpless child so it is easier to leave a grown woman than to leave a helpless life that came from me. but i love kids so i wouldnt leave him/her or give him/her up. everyone needs a chance and what if this baby turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to my life.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tetsuo [/i]
[B]i would have to be a good father and say i want to keep the child no matter what flaws he/she may have. the child is mine i help in creating it, and it is life and no matter what types of problems it may have it is beautiful because it is from me and the one that i love(or at least i hope it will be that way). [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I think I have just fallen in love :love2:

You are going to be an awesome father, tetsuo...mesa can tell :)[/color]

Unfortunately, in some worst case scenarios, the parents cannot keep the child. If the child is completely deformed or critically sick, it can be best to find them an institution. This is mainly because the medical bills would be insane, and taking care of the person would take the the entire day, every day. I mean, say the child's bones are so weak that they break very easily, or they are so sick that they cannot go outside;"What kind of life can you give your child?"

It may be better for the child to be around others that were born like him/her and overcome their handicaps with the help of professionals. Kids will be cruel like that. It doesn't mean that the parents can't visit. I hope this doesn't sound cold..because it's a very realistic option. In the worst case scenario that I'm presenting, the child would always be dependent on other people anyway.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]I'm afraid your terms aren't quite PC, Will. If you want to sound semi-correct, use mentally challenged...retarded is one of the biggest derogatory terms and I hate it.

I'm trying really hard to not give my opinion on this because it is extremely one sided...of course I would keep the baby!

Gah, ok, I'm not going to get mad...but don't be surprised if this topic gets suddenly closed due to ignorance of our fellow members.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

okcourse this topic isnt going to get closed, everyone here at otaku think closely the same nowadays. and im sorry if i offended anyone with the 'retarded' i know its such a strong word ya,know.

i just wanted to say thanks for posting and please vote cause that is why i made the poll.

-2x-

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Unfortunately, in some worst case scenarios, the parents cannot keep the child. If the child is completely deformed or critically sick, it can be best to find them an institution. This is mainly because the medical bills would be insane, and taking care of the person would take the the entire day, every day. I mean, say the child's bones are so weak that they break very easily, or they are so sick that they cannot go outside;"What kind of life can you give your child?"

It may be better for the child to be around others that were born like him/her and overcome their handicaps with the help of professionals. It doesn't mean that the parents can't visit. I hope this doesn't sound cold..because it's a very realistic option. In the worst case scenario that I'm presenting, the child would always be dependent on other people anyway. [/B][/QUOTE]

hey thats a good post, it really makes me think! I GUESs that would be the best way to handle it in that situation.

ps: soz for double posting, no need to tell me!

[color=deeppink]Will, I didn't mean to be rude, though I know I was. This one hits really [i]really[/i] close to home. It just hurts to know that there are so many people out there who could look at someone with a physical or mental handicap and see the [i]challenge[/i] rather than the person.

Besides, everyone has challenges, some are just a lot more apparent than others.

My "challenge" is the fact that I can't really open up to people...your challenge is ignorance.

Most times, those challenges are a lot worse than being stuck in a wheelchair or having down syndrom...[/color]

[B]

[color=deeppink]I think I have just fallen in love :love2:

You are going to be an awesome father, tetsuo...mesa can tell :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

thanx baby girl i really hope that i am. ;) i take care of my sister more that my parents do already. just ask kid buu he knows. my parents are always busy with work and stuff. but i dont mind cuz my sister is awesome.

[B][color=deeppink]Will, I didn't mean to be rude, though I know I was. This one hits really [i]really[/i] close to home. It just hurts to know that there are so many people out there who could look at someone with a physical or mental handicap and see the [i]challenge[/i] rather than the person.

Besides, everyone has challenges, some are just a lot more apparent than others.

My "challenge" is the fact that I can't really open up to people...your challenge is ignorance.

Most times, those challenges are a lot worse than being stuck in a wheelchair or having down syndrom...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

my challenge is ignorance?, im sorry theres just something about that just doesnt make me feel so happy...oh well..."if only you knew"

well i dont see as many people who see the "challenged" that way as i do the people who see them the way you do.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Navi [/i]
[B]
I wouldn't keep a 'retarded' baby. If the doctors told me before hand, I'd have an abortion. I know this may sound a bit harsh, but I don't want to bring it into the world because [i]I[/i] see the world with a cynical and pessimistic face. I guess Im doing it a favor by killing it in my womb before its born, and has others tease it..without understanding that they are teasing it. Anyway, to me if you can't form opinions and contribute anything to the world, you're better off dead.

But, if there were new medical treatments for the....'removal' of retardation, I'd keep the baby. [/B][/QUOTE]in a way i felt it was wrong, but i could see very clearly as to what you said.i respect that alot.in a way i agree with you, its just that i would keep the child no matter what, and i think that its kind that you would save a persons life and emotion, and spare them the burdon, because i know it would be very hard for a woman to do that, hell hard for anybody. i myself would be just as happy to be the father of such a child.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kid buu [/i]
[B]in a way i felt it was wrong, but i could see very clearly as to what you said.i respect that alot.in a way i agree with you, its just that i would keep the child no matter what, and i think that its kind that you would save a persons life and emotion, and spare them the burdon, because i know it would be very hard for a woman to do that, hell hard for anybody. i myself would be just as happy to be the father of such a child. [/B][/QUOTE]

its understandable where Navi was coming from. because there are many things that can go wrong and problems can come up that are too much to handle and life was meant for those who can reason and have mental processess.

Kid Buu thats a very noble thing i would do the same thing. i wouldn't care what type of condition the child was in, i would care for it. i know that if you were ever put to this type of situation you would do the right thing. i know you very well and i know that you are a sensible person.

hey cool, nice to know you guys all want to do the right thing.
me myself have much of my life ahead of me and if i had a mentally challenged child i wouldnt be there all the time being the business man id be and somewhere in its brain it would hate me, and i wouldnt want that...

oh and id like to say thanks for voting guys ,it means alot to me when you vote.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tetsuo [/i]
[B]

its understandable where Navi was coming from. because there are many things that can go wrong and problems can come up that are too much to handle and life was meant for those who can reason and have mental processess.

Kid Buu thats a very noble thing i would do the same thing. i wouldn't care what type of condition the child was in, i would care for it. i know that if you were ever put to this type of situation you would do the right thing. i know you very well and i know that you are a sensible person. [/B][/QUOTE]thanx man, and i know the same would come of you, had you the responsibility of such a choice