OtakuBoards

My Mama Always Told Me Stupid is as Stupid Does...

[quote name='chibi-master']You're right, and once again, I am VERY sorry:animeswea. Although I probably missed something in the article, because I'm confused. The guy that wrote that wrote the article wrote that 700(or over, I forgot.) people were sent to the hospital, but in the wikipedia thing that Aceburner brought up, it said 600-something. Does the article author not have his facts straight again, or am I just missing something that'll probably turn out to be obvious?:confused:[/QUOTE]

None of that is obvious. Heck, for all we know, the wikipedia entry might be wrong, so what we think is "obvious" may very well turn out to not be so right on after all.

But really, what's there to be confused about? The guy wrote a poorly researched mess and posted it on the internet. 'Nuff said.

[quote name='Aceburner']It's published, though. He was paid for it.
And last I checked, he's still writing opinion articles.[/QUOTE]

He's still writing opinion articles...:o That sorta saddening to me...:animecry: Even worse that he was and is payed for what he writes...:animesigh

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='chibi-master']You're right, and once again, I am VERY sorry:animeswea. Although I probably missed something in the article, because I'm confused. The guy that wrote that wrote the article wrote that 700(or over, I forgot.) people were sent to the hospital, but in the wikipedia thing that Aceburner brought up, it said 600-something. Does the article author not have his facts straight again, or am I just missing something that'll probably turn out to be obvious?:confused:[/QUOTE]Whether or not the numbers are correct is irrelevant. What is, as others have pointed out is that he was attributing watching anime to causing a known medical condition; Photosensitive epilepsy. The condition exists whether anime is around or not.

Television has traditionally been the most common source of seizures in PSE. For patients with PSE, it is especially hazardous to view television in a dark room, at close range, or when the television is out of adjustment and is showing a rapidly flickering image (as when the horizontal hold is incorrectly adjusted). Modern digital television sets that cannot be maladjusted in this way and refresh the image on the screen at very high speed present less of a risk than older television sets.

The author mistakenly blamed Pokemon for this when any media that shows flickering lights is known to potentially trigger a seizure if certain conditions are met. Video games, even fluorescent lighting that is not working properly can trigger it.

This is something that even today presents a problem and it's hardly related to anime, for example: A segment of animated footage of the 2012 London Olympics (released at the same time as its controversial logo) was criticized as viewing it had triggered seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy. If we were to follow the illogical fallacy of the author's claims then we would have to also say that the Olympics are destroying our society. lol

I understand that the part of the footage that was an issue was yanked from their website, but still, the point is that the numbers don't matter, what does is that he was blaming anime, specifically Pokemon for something that has nothing to do with anime. Any form of lighting that meets the prerequisite for triggering a seizure for someone who has this medical condition is the problem, not anime in general. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Not much to say. Anime is a form of entertainment, such as books, video games, or any other TV show. Some will like it, others won't. But to say such un-educated things as he wrote in his article...

Well. That's just ignorant.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 4 months later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Bump for new article.

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26639577/"][COLOR="Blue"][U]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26639577/[/U][/COLOR][/URL]

Thanks to Sangome (Paramount as she's known here) for bringing my attention to this.

[I]Within the adult realm of otaku culture, cuteness is fetishized (hence the Hello Kitty sex toys) and gender is often bent or dissolves altogether. Women are penetrated by octopi and [B]young women in short school-girl skirts save the world.[/B] Men, on the other hand, are often passive worshipers of small figurines depicting sexy characters.[/I]

Where was this genius when the Sailor Moon craze hit our shores twenty-odd years ago? FAIL.

[I]“Among Japanese fans — the guys — it is a badge of honor to say, ‘We do not need real women; [these] figures are better, they do not talk back’” said Macias. “Americans are not there yet, but at the rate things are going, we are going to be seeing that.”[/I]

Where the crap did they dig up this guy? I can just imagine the press room meeting planning this article.

"Hey, let's find the most offensive, slobbish, sad, pathetic, creepy stereotype of the typical anime watcher and cast him as a fair example of their entire freaking culture!"

Penetrate the logic with your fail!

Oh, and thinking of GL as a sexual series is about as accurate as calling the Pacific Ocean a freshwater lake.

In conclusion: Shove it, Brian Alexander.[/FONT]