OtakuBoards

Death Note Movie (live action) has been given a limited theater release in May 2008.

onenuttytanuki

Ok, I'll admit that I'm a casual fan of Death Note. I've read about 75% of the Manga and haven't gotten around to watching the Anime.
Any who, I just got back from seeing Iron Man at a near by theater and one of the trailers was for the limited release of the first Death Note movie on May 20th and 21th at 7:30 P.M. Central time.

OK, so I'm willing to guess that some of us already knew about this, but I thought I'd make mention of this for anyone who didn't know. Since I was kinda of surprised to find out that it was going to be playing around where I live.

[COLOR=#503F86]I's also showing in London for the next month or so, in the Institute of Contemporary Arts. They'll be screening all three Death Note movies eventually.

The movie's pretty good. I'll admit though, some of the camera shots traditionally used in Japanese live action always make me baulk slightly, and can really ruin the dramatic tension of some scenes. It was well-constructed though, and Ryuk and L were considerably well done.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]This topic is kind of funny because I went to see Ironman yesterday and after I saw the preview for Death Note the first thing I thought of was

"I wonder who on OtakuBoards is going to post about this first."

I've already watched the movie online so I won't be going to see it in theaters unless one of my friends can talk me into it, but I doubt it. Like others have already said, Ryuk and L were very well done. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='trentlondon']Hopefully I can find it somewhere in San Fran, where we're a little more ahead of the curve than everyone else :catgirl:[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Wow, that made me lol.

Uhh ... honestly I'm not sure. I can definitely tell you that only the first movie is being shown right now on those specific days, but I'm sure that if the movie does well enough then they will do the same kind of thing with the second movie. It's kind of a crap shoot.

I have no idea if it will be subbed or dubbed.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Neptune'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Wow, that made me lol.

Uhh ... honestly I'm not sure. I can definitely tell you that only the first movie is being shown right now on those specific days, but I'm sure that if the movie does well enough then they will do the same kind of thing with the second movie. It's kind of a crap shoot.

I have no idea if it will be subbed or dubbed.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I'n betting that it will be subbed.

Japanese dubs don't go well for serious movies.

It will be at theaters both here in SLC and where Beth lives... the only thing I'm wondering is whether or not one needs to be familiar with the show to actually see it. Otherwise, it seems pointless to go if it won't make any sense at all, or if doing so would spoil seeing the anime later on. XP

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']It will be at theaters both here in SLC and where Beth lives... the only thing I'm wondering is whether or not one needs to be familiar with the show to actually see it. Otherwise, it seems pointless to go if it won't make any sense at all, or if doing so would spoil seeing the anime later on. XP[/QUOTE]

The thing is, the movie is an adaption of the story but with some differences made. There are some differences to the original storyline but (I'm not very far into the Anime) the plot is almost the same.

The movie and anime/manga have a bunch of completely diffrenent events. Seeing one won't ruin the other .It's like the Dexter novel to the Dexter TV show. Same universe different events. So they are completely different telllings of DN story. The movie is no where near as good as the manga or anime but it's still a good watch.

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds like it [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-06-04/over-65000-watch-1st-death-note-film-in-u.s-theaters][u]did really well[/u][/url] in theaters. Didn't watch it myself, though, I'm afraid.

~Dagger~