OtakuBoards

The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk

Ellerby

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]So... is anyone else following this show?

[quote=My Dear Friend Wikipedia]It has been 60 years since King Gilgamesh defeated "the tower" single-handedly, and now the tower is reborn again. The "Summer of Anu" is a season that comes every few years during which the powers of the monsters within the Tower wane thanks to the grace of the great god Anu.

Each Summer of Anu, the armies of the Uruk Kingdom secure their strongholds within the Tower, aiming to eventually conquer the upper floors.

The story begins with the third Summer of Anu.

The city of Meskia is the first stronghold built on the first level of the Tower. In addition to the Uruk Army preparing for their third campaign against Druaga, innumerable adventurers called "climbers" have been drawn to Meskia by rumors of a legendary treasure believed to be hidden on the top floor of the Tower.

Jil, a young guardian, has traveled to the tower and Metz Kier, the last safe stop on the first floor of the tower. Jil wants to gain the Blue Crystal Rod, the legendary treasure that resides on the top floor of the tower. On the top floor is the evil lord Druaga, and numerous monsters among the way.[/quote]

This show is actually [i]legally[/i] available on YouTube/Crunchyroll with English subtitles which is really quite cool (although I watch it on Veoh). The genre is very fantasy/medieval with lots of cool action but because it's based off a video game it also has a lot of humor which separates it from other animes of the same genre (like .hack).

I don't watch a lot of anime (the only animes I've watched through to the end are Digimon, DBZ, FullMetal Alchemist, Death Note and Claymore) but this one has really caught my attention so if you're a fan of video games or a fan of fantasy anime then I highly recommend you start watching The Tower of Druaga![/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]This is one of my favorite shows of the season. It fits my taste in anime pretty much perfectly with the fantasy/comedy mix. (You should check out Slayers, by the way; it's a similar sort of show, minus the video game references.)

Myself, I've mainly been watching the HD "fansubs" from groups who transcribe the subs from the official release and add them as soft subs to HDTV rips. [url=http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coopa02oy8.jpg][u]The difference in quality is rather large.[/u][/url] Though when I get impatient I'll go watch the YouTube streaming version too.[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Just got through the first episode of Druaga and it is some damn funny stuff, particularly [spoiler]Neeba and the tentacle scene's "It's just getting good"[/spoiler], I'd guessed what was going to happen, but I was still in torrents of laughter.

The comedy/fantasy/videogame concept works really well, I hope the rest of the episodes are as funny as the first.[/SIZE]

The first episode of this show was fantastic, I watched it when it first came out and I thought it was just going to be a one shot OVA that was funny.

After the first episode it got serious but there is still hysterical humor in it + the video game element is cool too.

But what really confuses me is that the intro shows them as high school kids in the "real world" so to speak but in the show they never mention it at all like .hack, is it actually a video game or it is just a video game esque show?

[quote name='Cleptomatic']But what really confuses me is that the intro shows them as high school kids in the "real world" so to speak but in the show they never mention it at all like .hack, is it actually a video game or it is just a video game esque show?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I'm pretty curious about that myself. Des, any info there ?[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Cleptomatic']
But what really confuses me is that the intro shows them as high school kids in the "real world" so to speak but in the show they never mention it at all like .hack, is it actually a video game or it is just a video game esque show?[/QUOTE]
It's more just kind of poking fun at the fact that Tower of Druaga (the anime) is actually based off an arcade game made by Namco called Tower of Druaga (1984).

[center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Todruaga.png[/img][/center]

You'll notice that same sprite art-style used through out the series (at one point they even play the game).

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the fact that they seem to be regular high school students (and other things, like the Mage is a janitor) is just for the theme song and has nothing to do with the story. I don't think we'll see any dimension-traveling in the near future. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]
It's more just kind of poking fun at the fact that Tower of Druaga (the anime) is actually based off an arcade game made by Namco called Tower of Druaga (1984).

You'll notice that same sprite art-style used through out the series (at one point they even play the game). [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Ah thanks for the info 8-Bit, I'd known about the Namco game and watched episode 8 where they actually play it earlier today. [/SIZE]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]So yeah, I'm pretty sure the fact that they seem to be regular high school students (and other things, like the Mage is a janitor) is just for the theme song and has nothing to do with the story. I don't think we'll see any dimension-traveling in the near future. [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, I figured that might have been the case, still the fact there's an MMO of the series coming out might hint at something too.[/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, I just figured the style of the opening was a reference to the anime being based on the game, like 8bit said. There's been nothing in the actual show (that I've noticed at least) that's pointed to it being the "real world."

Coopa in a sailor uniform is cute though. :catgirl:[/color]

This series got a whole of hype it seems.. before and after it's release.

Yet I never really see any disscusions about it, so it is really as awesome as all the hype makes it seem? Months back I remember seeing the art for it, and thinking it would be cool. I still haven't bothered watching it yet, because now it doesn't look too interesting to me.

Someone said it was like Slayers.. if that's really the case, then I should give it a shot, I guess. I love Slayers. xD;

So many anime series these days are bland, or so similar to other series.. that's how this one looked to me. I could be wrong, though. Judging from some of the replies in this thread.. it seems to be pretty good.

I'll give it a chance sometime soon, and then post here again. nn;

[color=#4B0082]I didn't follow any of the hype, other than the bits about it being streamed online legally, so I can't really say if the series lives up to it. But you're right, I've barely seen anyone talking about it lately.

Druaga's fantasy/adventure/comedy mix makes it similar to Slayers but it's not exactly the same—Slayers is heavier on the comedy, not counting Druaga ep1. A better comparison might be the Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Symphonia OAVs. (They were also based on games, as I'm sure most people know.) But I'd recommend Druaga to people who liked any of those three.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
[SIZE="1"]Well interestingly Gonzo have pushed forward the release date for the second season of Druaga to January coming. They've already released the teaser trailer and I'm really pleased we're getting the next instalment of the series six months earlier than expected.

[url=http://www.druaga-anime.com/gallery_mov.html][b]Trailer link[/b][/url].

Thoughts ?[/SIZE]