OtakuBoards

Ideas for a manga

Boron

Hello there. I have been drawing manga for several years and I think that finally, I might just have enough enthusiasm to draw a small manga book.

I've been getting a lot of ideas. Could you help me pick the best ones, and band them together?:

[B]Character Traits[/B]
I was thinking that the main character should have some sort of unhuman companion.
I think this would be a good idea because, it's often very easy to break up a scene/conversation with the help of some ignorant little pest that won't go away. (Think Daxter from the Jak & Daxter games.)

I also thought that the main character should have an emo hairstyle.
That being it spikey at the back, and combed over his face.
The character himself wouldn't be emo but I just thought that it looks cool..? :animeswea

I had an idea that the main character could be a martial-artist that focuses on using his feet. Why? I don't know. Seems like a good way to add distinction from tons of other martial-artist-ninja-spikey-hair-dudes.

[B]Storylines[/B]
I am almost completely lost on this part.

One idea is that my character is of the "prophecised-hero" types, that is ordered by the ruler of the lands to defeat some big, smelly ugly monster.. or something.

Another one, and don't ask where this came from, was that my character is a hired assassin who one day realises that he can converse with his concsience and vice versa.. and maybe he begins to get guidance from them? Seems like another idea for a companion.

Please help me with this. :animeknow

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hmm, sounds intriguing. Let's see if I can actually drop any helpful advice here.[/FONT]

[quote name='Boron'][B]Character Traits[/B]
I was thinking that the main character should have some sort of unhuman companion.
I think this would be a good idea because, it's often very easy to break up a scene/conversation with the help of some ignorant little pest that won't go away. (Think Daxter from the Jak & Daxter games.) [/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
This really depends on how you want to portray the main and how serious you want the storyline to be. There are plenty of ways to make that idea work. For example, the Silent Hero Jak of the first Jak & Daxter (haven't played any of the others) pulled it off quite well. Navi from the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would be an example of one that is done well in some places, but gets really annoying in others. You could also go for a verbal lighthearted fellow, who communicates with his nonhuman companion to the point of deep friendship and even complex understanding of each other. Of course, this kind of character could easily break up the more serious conversations all on their own.

And then there's the idiot savant whose traveling companion is smarter than him. These can work, but you gotta get them right.[/FONT]

[quote name='Boron']I also thought that the main character should have an emo hairstyle.
That being it spikey at the back, and combed over his face.
The character himself wouldn't be emo but I just thought that it looks cool..? :animeswea[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]As far as character design goes, the spiky hair thing has kind of been done everywhere since Dragon Ball. However, if you can create a character whose design and personality can fit the hairstyle you're going for, by all means go for it.[/FONT]

[quote name='Boron']I had an idea that the main character could be a martial-artist that focuses on using his feet. Why? I don't know. Seems like a good way to add distinction from tons of other martial-artist-ninja-spikey-hair-dudes.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Now you're after my own heart.

[IMG]http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/images/topcharacter/62sanji.jpg[/IMG]

No, but seriously. If you're going for that, you should probably come up with a good reason for your character to primarily use his feet. For example, the above character is a chef. As such, he uses only kicking techniques in battle to avoid damaging his hands, which he needs to cook.

Other examples include:
-Made a pledge to someone
-Regrets something done to another with hands (See Regal Bryant of Tales of Symphonia)
-They're just more powerful (That's why I mostly concentrate of foot-based techniques.)[/FONT]

[quote name='Boron'][B]Storylines[/B]
I am almost completely lost on this part.

One idea is that my character is of the "prophecised-hero" types, that is ordered by the ruler of the lands to defeat some big, smelly ugly monster.. or something.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gonna have to vote this one down. It's been done enough that I imagine it's really hard not to make it sound clichè at this point.[/FONT]

[quote name='Boron']Another one, and don't ask where this came from, was that my character is a hired assassin who one day realises that he can converse with his concsience and vice versa.. and maybe he begins to get guidance from them? Seems like another idea for a companion.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Taking that one step further, Manga featuring assassins as mains can often do a really good job of turning into either redemption stories or stories involving trying to escape past connections. If you think you can pull it off, I'd say this is the way to go.[/FONT]

Thanks for the reply.

"-Made a pledge to someone
-Regrets something done to another with hands (See Regal Bryant of Tales of Symphonia)
-They're just more powerful (That's why I mostly concentrate of foot-based techniques.)"

That was interesting - and thanks for pointing it out, that he needed a reason for using his feet. I think the second reason is good, too bad it's taken.

I'm pretty set on the character using his feet but I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Main Character.. yeah, I was thinking that he could be one of those Mild-Minded guys who actually sometimes gets a bit scared of his companion(s).

Another idea that is catching my eye is the one where he can see and converse with his conscience (actually, a bit like in Black and White.)

• 11 months later...
Quote:"I had an idea that the main character could be a martial-artist that focuses on using his feet. Why? I don't know. Seems like a good way to add distinction from tons of other martial-artist-ninja-spikey-hair-dudes."

On of possible reasons why he uses his feet is becouse his hands are broken.. and you can make a story about a guy who even tho destiny didnt chose for him to be a martial artist he defied everyones prejudec by becoming the best martial artist ever with broken hands, fighting with his feet...

Or you can make a manga about leg swordfights where they use that feetblade weapon (edged boots), thats original it hasn't been seen yet...