OtakuBoards

Paradoxes... Scary...

NeoCactuar

One of the things that will **** with your mind, is paradoxes... For people who don't know what they are, they are, as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary, A paradox is a self-contradictory statement or essentially absurd statement. In English... A thing that messes with your mind. So what I?m saying here is how scary paradoxes can be if you think about them to hard. Here is an example.

The paradox of Time Travel

If someone travels back in time to stop something from happening, say the president being shot. Then they will stop that event, so the event will never happen... So they will never go back in time to stop it, and since they don't go back in time to stop it, it will happen again, so they then will go back in time again...

And this will just keep going over and over again, and the affect would be... Well... crazy... i don't want to hurt my brain thinking about it any more.

So, if any of you have any other examples of paradoxes... please, do share them.

Well, hows about if you went up in age? If you were older now, that means you were younger before you were really born. So that means you have been living longer, than you really should be. And then, there's all these other complications, that is playing up with my mind..... Like you said..... :D You're right, my mind is going wonkos..... *dazed*

The Unexpected Hanging (example)

A prisoner has been condemned to be hanged.

He was informed by the warden ,

?1. You will be hanged on one of the days
of next week (Sunday through Saturday).?

? 2. You will not be able to logically deduce which day you are to be hanged.?

?I must work backwards.? the prisoner thought. This is the prisoner?s reasoning:

Scenario 1: Saturday (last day and yet to be executed)

He could logically deduce he would be executed that day. Yet, he could not be executed that day or else the warden's words would be wrong.

Scenario 2: Friday (next to last day and yet to be executed)

He could logically deduce he would be executed that day for he would not be executed the next day. Yet, he could not be executed that day or else the warden's words would be wrong.

The same reasoning follows. for the rest of the days.

On Sunday, the warden came. The prisoner explained his reasoning and claimed thatone of the warden?s statement was wrong. It turned out that the prisoner himself was wrong and was hung that day...................(Zeno paradox)

:therock: :mrt: Peace!! :demon: :naughty:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cibo [/i]
[B]Ya, here is something else that would mess with your mind about time travel...if you go back in time and kill your mom before you are born, do you still kill her since you were never born or what? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's all the same sort of theory. The only way for it to work, would be to have parallel timelines.

[color=crimson]Whoo-HOO! My mind is going in all these weird circles! It's like in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when Harry thinks he sees the ghost of his father right before he's about to be killed and it strengthens him and so he defeats the dementor, but then later on in the book he has to go back in the past to that time and he realizes that all along he was just seeing himself, so then that means that it's just an endless cycle that's going to continue over and over and over in the past of his life as he moves on...or something...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NeoCactuar [/i]
[B]
So, if any of you have any other examples of paradoxes... please, do share them. [/B][/QUOTE]

I always lie

nice little paradox there, short and sweet. you see, if im telling the truth, and i do always lie, then i am not lying therefore the statement is not true.
but if the statement is not true (therfore i am lying), then I don't always lie, therefore the statement is not true, but it must be true because i am lying.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

As for the time travel thing... i think that either you can go back in time, but only to observe, you can't go back in time, or if you can change the past then something very strange will happen

About time travel (true story)

There was this ship full of soldiers and they were carrying some nuclear reactor or something and they were doing some kind of test. All of a sudden the ship disappeared and the soldiers started falling to the sea.

The ship reappeared while the soldiers were still falling and when some medics went onto the ship to see what was going on, they found alot of people stuck in the walls....

Wierd, huh?:drunk: :drunk: :eek: :eek:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lil_hell4t [/i]
[B]its times like these you dont wanna watch the matrix eh...and about that boat story...that sounds freaky!!!...gaah ive gone cross eyed again.. :wow:

oh and heres one..if a electric train is travelling north which way will its smoke blow? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hehehe..... Electric Trains don't blow smoke..... :D

And Chibi-Trunks, Roosters don't lay eggs.... ;) :toothy:

there was some science show like nova that did an epi on time travel.
one of the theories presented was that if you wnet back in time in order to change history (the example was to assassinate hitler), events would conspire to stop you. somebody knocking @ your door, the gun wouldn't fire, etc. etc. etc.
it really twists your mind, doesn't it, yet it's so much fun to think on. :freak: :excited:

They even made a show about time travel, called "7 days" has anyone heard of it? The whole thing is based around this guy changing events, by going back in time 7 Days. It's really crazy, because there is no mention of this sort of theory, it's just all assumed everything is fine.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NeoCactuar [/i]
[B]They even made a show about time travel, called "7 days" has anyone heard of it? The whole thing is based around this guy changing events, by going back in time 7 Days. It's really crazy, because there is no mention of this sort of theory, it's just all assumed everything is fine. [/B][/QUOTE]
I've heard of that show! Very crazy..... I couldn't get half of it..... But yeah, when you watch it, you can think up of all these things that would happen, but they don't in the show. Erm..... All this thinking is twisting my mind.....:babble: :whoops:

Here's one: There are half as many odd numbers as there are counting numbers.

Both counting numbers and odd numbers are infinite....

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Whoa, I need to sit down. Wait, I am.
:eek:
Wow, my brain is really messed up...

Here's a classic:
A woman was walking through town and noticed the local barber's sign: [B]This barber shaves everyone in the village who does not shave himself. NO exceptions.[/B]
What really caught the woman's attention was the "No exceptions" part. She believed that every rule has exceptions. Then she asked herself, "Does the barber shave himself?"
And that's when the paradox appeared. If the barber shaves himself, then he would be shaving someone who does shave himself: himself. But if the barber doesn't shave himself, then he would have to shave himself anyway, because he shaves everyone who doesn't themselves, etc etc etc, NO EXCEPTIONS. Either way, he's contradicting his own rule.
The woman walked in and told the barber this, driving him insane: :hippy:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Chibi-Trunks [/i]
[B]About time travel (true story)

There was this ship full of soldiers and they were carrying some nuclear reactor or something and they were doing some kind of test. All of a sudden the ship disappeared and the soldiers started falling to the sea.

The ship reappeared while the soldiers were still falling and when some medics went onto the ship to see what was going on, they found alot of people stuck in the walls....

Wierd, huh?:drunk: :drunk: :eek: :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

I read that in an encyclopedia..... Very wierd indeed..... :drunk: Muahahaha...... Nahahahahahaha!!!!! .........erm, my mind has gone on vacating..... :drunk:

And about that Barber one. Hehe, now that is something that really hurts my head..... Think about that one, and you can think up of heaps of things that have paradoxes like that.....

Getting very dizzy now, even though my mind is on vacation..... :drunk:

Okay, so I'm just gonna sum up a quote from the book Timeline by Michael Crition (Izat how you spell his name? He wrote Jurrasic park, too.)

Anyway, they're talking about paradoxes. A guy gets freaked out because he's going to be "sent back in time" and thinks he might kill his ancestor.

But quite simply, he can't.

It's a billion to one chance, and even though there's that one chance, a billion other things could happen. He could be caught while he's trying to "pull the gun". He would miss. He wouldn't find him/her at the right time. He would be at the wrong place. He would kill the wrong person. Yadda yaddda yadda...

Something to think about. In other words, if you get the chance to go back in time, take it, and shoot those chances to heck! :)

Edit: Well, K9 already said that. :D Go me, I ain't deleting my post! I like the way I sou-...er...yea. c_c

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KyJaUn~FuLlEr [/i]
[B]

The egg won't roll anyway cause a rooster can't lay eggs lol i am soooo smart :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes so very smart, because it is such a hard question, and noone answered that about 10 posts ago. ;) :rolleyes:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cecil [/i]
[B]Here's one,

Which came first the Chicken or the Egg?

Simple, the egg couldn't be laid if there was no chicken, but if there's no egg there can't be a chicken. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hate to spoil this one but it all depends on what you define as a 'chicken'. you see, somewhere along the path of evolution this 'thing' must have been born which laid eggs rather than giving birth, or maybe it was the other way round. anyway, that 'thing' would have been the first animal to lay eggs, and chickens would evolve from there..... so there you go.... the egg came before the chicken (of course i may be wrong its just a theory).