OtakuBoards

Obamas Oil Plan, A Step in the Right Direction

Godot

[IMG]http://sugarnspice.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/04/mccaingaugebho_2.jpg[/IMG]

[B]ITS SO SIMPLE, WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT BEFORE!?!?!?![/B]

But seriously I loled, McCain has a good sense of humor (although Obama saying that we can save lots of oil by keeping our tires at the right pressure just shows how little he is ready to tackle this issue)

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm not really following here either. Obama's plan is more or less a non plan. "We can't keep our houses at 70 degrees, and eat as much as we want and use as much energy as we want.." Etc etc etc you get the drift. In point of fact, McCain's sound bytes which you haven't bothered to link us to have been spliced to stay pretty much whatever you want it to say.

In short McCain's switched his energy plan from not drilling offshore to drilling offshore, which is actually a very good idea. He only did it of course, to stave off a mass lynching from his constituents in the Republican party, and while I have no great love for him, it's a step in the right direction.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]What's your point, Godot?:confused:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]His point is that a politician cannot point out something most Americans fail to do on their cars which would improve their gas mileage noticeably. That is far beneath a politician, to offer practical advice.

Raiha is trying to point out that Obama did not in the last couple of days release a comprehensive energy plan in which he offers a compromise with Republicans to drill offshore in a limited and environmentally sound fashion.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]His point is that a politician cannot point out something most Americans fail to do on their cars which would improve their gas mileage noticeably. That is far beneath a politician, to offer practical advice.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well coming from a nominee that people have already determined to be occasionally "arrogant" and "Messianic" it's not really clever for any politician to do that. Practical advice from someone who has a cadre of people to do every day things for him like blow his nose and wipe his behind just comes off as snooty. And patronizing.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]And patronizing.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Americans need to be patronized about these things, from every possible position. We need to be reminded to be environmentally sound and cut back on waste as much as possible since we are an ARROGANT and PATRONIZING nation that embraces freedom as a soapbox to laud our greatness upon.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]Americans need to be patronized about these things, from every possible position. We need to be reminded to be environmentally sound and cut back on waste as much as possible since we are an ARROGANT and PATRONIZING nation that embraces freedom as a soapbox to laud our greatness upon.[/color][/QUOTE]

Well said.

I am glad to see the man is willing to compromise. America has learned too well to play dirt slinging politics and "for us against us" type campaigning.

It won't last much longer, I hope.

[font=trebuchet ms] Too bad most good 'ole Americans don't enjoy the snotty types, just the kind you'd like to drink a beer with. Yeah, that turned out swell.

I also love how a lot of Americans think oil will just go back down to normal one day, like sub-dollar normal. Haha.
[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]I also love how a lot of Americans think oil will just go back down to normal one day, like sub-dollar normal. Haha.
[/font][/QUOTE]Denial is such a fun thing to watch when it comes to stuff like this. Just as it is to watch someone toss out practical advice instead of a [I]real plan[/I] to address the issue. But that seems to be the norm for politics these days. XP

[color=crimson][url=http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/factsheet_energy_speech_080308.pdf]Obama[/url]

[url=http://www.johnmccain.com//Informing/Issues/17671aa4-2fe8-4008-859f-0ef1468e96f4.htm]McCain[/url]

There, now everybody in the thread has access to information that took, on average, two to three clicks on the candidates websites to find about either candidates intentions so far. ****, only a country this lazy would have trouble finding information in the "information age", haha.

Granted, Obama should have put his energy plan into a speech that would widely show, beyond simple car maintenance, what Obama plans in regards to energy in America. He finally did within the last two days. I'll post it here in case someone wants to hear it.

[YOUTUBE="Obama and Energy"]bC1A8dLkRWM[/YOUTUBE][/color]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]Granted, Obama should have put his energy plan into a speech that would widely show, beyond simple car maintenance, what Obama plans in regards to energy in America. He finally did within the last two days. I'll post it here in case someone wants to hear it.[/color][/QUOTE]Awww, now you've gone and spoiled our fun. =P [Kidding] I do agree that people are lazy, but still, those kind of statements about proper air pressure for your tires just have you going... wtf?

Personally, I've been hearing the speech about solving the energy issue for a long time now. And so far not one president has really managed to deliver. So no matter what they are posting or saying... I'll believe it when I see it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]The only thing you save when you maintain the proper tire pressure is gas because the tire pressure affects gas mileage and any moron can figure that out (I hope). You can also save gas by keeping up with basic maintenence (A simple oil change can do wonders) and not allowing my ex to drive your car.

Concerning the declining American dollar the only way that will improve is by improving our economy and we can't improve our economy without a government that is concerned about the people it is supposed to govern. We need to increase the minimum wage to a living wage like say 11$ an hour. (With this economy who can really afford a damn thing on 7.50$ an hour? Yes, I'm serious- that's what our governement considers sufficient. Yeah, maybe if you're like 16 and living with mom and dad, but not when you're an adult. Heck what I make an hour isn't even that much after taxes and yet my wonderful county executive has decided that if you make more than 19K a year you don't deserve to get help with child care.)

We as a whole need to learn how to reduce our dependancy on non renewable resources. Maybe the next president could help with that.

That said McCain would fit in nicely in a senior living community he can sit back with his peers and reminice about the good old days while bothering the staff about his snack. I'm not saying that this is where most seniors should go, I'm just saying it's where McCain might like to go after he loses in November.[/color]

[font=trebuchet ms] It's sort of disheartening that a lot of people just resort to "both candidates suck, America is screwed anyway". The US is not screwed. Will we have to adjust to not being the only superpower in the future? Yes. Will it take time to recover from the last 8 years? Yes. But we're not screwed.[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] It's sort of disheartening that a lot of people just resort to "both candidates suck, America is screwed anyway". The US is not screwed. Will we have to adjust to not being the only superpower in the future? Yes. Will it take time to recover from the last 8 years? Yes. But we're not screwed.[/font][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]I agree. We're not screwed yet. It's entirely possible for the US to recover from the nightmare that was the Bush administration. We just have to make adjustments.

Both candidates- despite what you think of either of them- seem to have a good head on their shoulders, are educated (yes okay so was Bush :animesigh) and don't seem to be as hard headed as the person they will be replacing. We just need a way to do it. And then we need the rest of government to agree that they should start working for the people they represent instead of for their own personal interests. (This should go for the president as well.

One of Obama's ideas is to issue another round of stimulus checks if he is elected (This IMHO is one of the few intelligent things that Bush did this year) to try and boost the economy. Right now with the stock market going up and the price of oil going down it looks promissing. Who knows, maybe the next president- instead of saying that increasing minimum wage would hurt the economy (oh no! The rich wouldn't have such a high gap! Whatever shall we do?) would do it we could finally get some more spending.

Okay I know that increasing income for the middle and lower class wouldn't be a cure all. But it would be a start.

As for the energy crisis- maybe both Obama and McCain should listen to Paris Hilton's ideas on the subject?[/color]