OtakuBoards

"Ay up m'duck, ah be thee?"

Axel

Local lingo. Local Dialect. Slang. Whatever you wish to call it, I'm sure you have some of it.

[I]'Derbysharian'[/I], or, as it is called '[I]The Derbyshire Dialect[/I]', has been around for a very long time. It is native to Derbyshire and is likened to Rhyming slang in the fact that it is a variant of English.

Last year, I actually started writing a Derbysharian - English Dictionary, but I didn't finish it. ^_^; I am a fellow Derbysharian myself and by writing this, I hoped to help people outside of Derbyshire understand what we are saying. Or, more to the point, what I'm saying. :P

This is what I have so far:

[U][B] A[/B][/U]

Agate - Busy or on Fire
Anklebiter - A Scrounger
Anna/Onna - Are not, aren't
Arkin - Listening
Asker - A newt
Awk about - To carry around
Ax/Ex - Ask
Ay up - Hi, Hello, a friendly greeting, as in "Ay up, me duck!" (South Derbyshire), or "Ay up, Surry!" (Mid and North Derbyshire)

[U][B] B[/B][/U]

Badly - Ill, poorly
Bagteel - A Wagtail (Bird)
Balm - Yeast
Banty-legged - Bow-legged
Bargin/Borgin - Boasting
Battlewig - Earwig
Be sed - That's enough, be told
Bill's mothers - A vague direction, over there, as in "It looks a bit black over Bill's mothers".
Bladder o lard - Bald
Blart - Bellow
Bobby's Job - An easy task, a sinecure
Bon/Bont - Burn, as in "I've gone and bont meself".
Bonk - An incline, hillside, slope (from 'bank'.)
Bonny - Chubby, healthy
Borrer - Lend, as in "Borrer us yer spade, me duck".
Bostin/Bossin - Bursting, full up
Brawn - Boar
Brig - A bridge
Brimmin - On heat
Bull week - Miner's term for the week before a holiday, when record amounts of coal are produced (and maximum bonuses are earned).

[U][B] C[/B][/U]

Chance child - Child born out of wedlock
Clackfart - Telltale
Cleck - Face
Council Pop - Tap water

[U][B] D[/B][/U]

Daddied ower - Tired
Dogshelf - Floor

[U][B] E[/B][/U]

Ere - Here

[U][B] F[/B][/U]

Firk - Scratch
Fossneck - Know-it-all
Fuddle - A small party/Bit of a do

[U][B] G[/B][/U]

Gleg - Look

[U][B] H[/B][/U]

[U][B] I[/B][/U]

Is sen - His self

[U][B] J

K[/B][/U]

Kecks - Trousers or underwear depending
Keen - Painful
Knockin' stick - Hammer
Knockometer - Hammer

[U][B] L[/B][/U]

[U][B] M[/B][/U]

Manchester screwdriver - Hammer

[U][B] N[/B][/U]

Nesh - Someone who feels the cold easy
Nowt - Nothing

[U][B] O[/B][/U]

Ower - Over
Owt - Anything

[U][B] P[/B][/U]

Pop - Fizzy drink
[U][B]
Q

R[/B][/U]

[U][B] S[/B][/U]

Scratin'/Scraitin' - Crying
Slops - Cops/Policemen
Slorm - To lounge around/To smear something
Smockravel(ed) - Confuse(ed)
Snap tin - Lunchbox
Stodged - Full up
Swilkerin' - To drink tea from a saucer

[U][B] T[/B][/U]

Tabs - Ears
Tatered/Taitered - Tired
Throttle - Strangle
Twave - Microwave
[U][B]
U

V

W[/B][/U]

Wang - Throw
Wanky - Weak

[U][B] X

Y

Z[/B][/U]

So, what about you guys?

• 3 weeks later...
[color=#9933ff]Revive....

Okay I live up north in New York. We don't have much of a slang or dialect that I know of. BUt there is the Rochester accent where most natives pronounce Toronto Torono and Rochester is Rochster. And some people in the actual city call Rochester Roc City

A lot of my co-workers use a bit of slang. For example Off the Chain means that someone was acting crazy (IE: This lady was off the chain tonight at dinner.) But I can't think of anything else.

I can tell you that if you come to visit and order a hot dog and they ask you red or white a red hot is like a Texas hot and a white hot is like brautwurst. We have a lot of German ancestry here. But honestly I can't think of anything else. We're quite boring. I use bloody, ruddy, plonker and shedload, but that's really just me and most people have no idea what I mean here.[/color]

[size=1]People around England don't have a problem understanding the Mancunian accent or dialect, but people from other characters often do. I have problems with the people who come into work because my accent is really, really heavy. Few terms that other people probably have:

[B]Innit:[/B] Isn't it
[B]Mint:[/B] Cool/good
[B]Kosher:[/B] Cool/good/quality .etc (don't get offended if you're Jewish, my Jewish friend says it more than me)
[B]Safe:[/b] Gangster hello or okay (mostly hello though)
[B]Mard arse:[/b] Coward
[B]Dimp:[/b] Cigarette end
[B]Shut your gob:[/b] Shut up
[B]Demic:[/b] Doesn't work
[B]Spends:[/b] Money
[B]Chuddy/Chud:[/b] Chewing gum
[B]Ar kid:[/b] 'Our' kid
[B]'Angin:[/b] Disgusting
[B]Ya big Nezza:[/B] I don't have a clue but I use it. Refers to the Babylonian King, though.
[B]Scran:[/b] Get something to eat
[B]Pure:[/b] Loads
[B]Dibble/Pigs:[/B] Police officers
[B]...'Ee ar!':[/B] Like... Oi, I don't even know what this is about but even I use it.
[B]Sound:[/b] Okay
[B]On yer bike:[/b] F-off.
[B]Gormless:[/B] Dumb
[B]Nowt:[/B] Nothing
[B]Down ar [our] end[/B]: Where I live
[B]Dead:[/b] Very
[B]In a bit:[/b] Bye
[B]Bang out of order:[/b] Wrong, really out of order...
[B]Ginnel:[/B] Alleyway
[B]Rank:[/b] Dirty, nasty
[B]Scav:[/B] Borrow
[B]Bagsy:[/B] I want it. Normally used it as kids like in games... "bagsy not it" or somet' like that.
[B]Decked:[/B] Punched
[B]

There's a few others really but they don't spring to mind because I don't pay attention too much to the words I use. I should post a video sometime and see how many people understand it XD[/size]

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]I hail from australia and before you ask i do NOT say g'day (good day) or mundi (monday) or any of those things, they just annoy me. I guess that we(my small group of minions) only have a bit of slang, allthough we often put random bits of other languages into our speech

such as today me and friends (we can speak only english) were having lunch and somone said bon'appetite (french - meal thing) or however it is said and i called them Baka (japanese - idiot)

but apart from that we often use internet/mobile abbreviations in speech (yes im very sad i know) for example we say XD - (normally a smiley but we actually say 'ex dee') yep were definatly tragic, 1up us ;][/COLOR]

[quote name='Quoth Serenity'][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]
but apart from that we often use internet/mobile abbreviations in speech (yes im very sad i know) for example we say XD - (normally a smiley but we actually say 'ex dee') yep were definatly tragic, 1up us ;][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]I have a friend out in Portland Oregon (not to be confused with Portland Maine) who actually says LOL in conversations! It's like now what Tom, are you too lazy to actually say laugh out loud? *sigh*:animesigh

Oh yeah recently some radio DJs on one of the local morning shows have been refering to a town called Victor as Pittsford Light. This is because of an incident involving a fence and Pittsford is a really upper class suburb far east of me. I had a co-worker from there who was working just to save money for a computer. This is as opposed to me who is working to live and I live in the 'ghetto-burbs' This is my own little slang for my part of West Rochester. Probably because if you drive a few miles you'll end up downtown.

My daughter has her little pre-schooler slang. She asks for monies instead of money and says she wants to go to Poppydonalds instead of McDonald's. Yes, my daughter is a greedy skinny fastfood eater.[/color]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]There's not a lot of slang that i can think of from good ol' Pleasant View, Tennessee. But i'll give it a go.

Knoxvegas - Knoxville
K-town - Knoxville
PV - Pleasant View
Ballin' - Awesome (often times used as a confirmation)
Let's rock the casbah! - Just a sign of enthusiasm for whatever we're about to do.
Bunk - bogus
Don't pull a Hillary Swank! - I just made that one up... i don't know what it means.
Sweetee? - Would you like a glass of sweet tea?
Tits - nice
Cash - nice
Money - nice (Example: Yo, this new Wendy's Jr. Baconator is money!)

That's all i can think of.
[/FONT]