OtakuBoards

[The New] Doctor Who

Vicky

[size=1]And I do not mean the series when I say new.

After all the specials between now and 2010, Tennant is quitting.

Has anyone in England seen Children in Need? Because the New Doctor is on it. That's right. The New Doctor. Apparently, it's David Morrisey. Now the clip on Children in Need will be continued at Christmas, so I'm sure you can catch it on YouTube tomorrow. What does everyone think?

Personally, his clothing looks better because it's more classic Who, methinks, but I don't know about David Morrisey. He's a bit of a goon.

I'm also really concerned about the length of time these Doctors have. The series are shorter this time around so we don't see as much adventure... seriously, Doc' only has a few lives left, and BBC is burning it away. But I guess you can't win it all.

Also, Russel T is off the crew. As a writer at least I think, which is good and bad. Sometimes he came up with amazing stuff, and sometimes I regretted being a Doctor Who fan. Was it [i]his[/i] idea to bring Peter Kay into it? Seriously?

Anyway, I suppose you can discuss the series here too, but personally I prefer the old one, since my mother spoon fed me Tom Baker and Peter D's videos.[/size]

EDIT: Wrong section >_< Mod fancy moving it? Sorry XD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]Lol, you didn't know?

Everyone over here new half way through the last season that he was leaving. Sucks to watch a British show in America =p.

Also, you get no more seasons. He's only doing specials - that's about three more episodes. Two incredibly short ones and a Christmas special. Or vice versa.[/size]

[I][SIZE="1"]*moves thread*[/SIZE][/I]

I heard about that, the news that Tennant was quiting, but not about who the replacement was. I suppose it was only a matter of time before they ended up with someone else. I just figured it would be longer before that happened since Tennant has been very popular among the fans.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I've yet to watch season four. I should fix that.

I found out about Tennant leaving a couple weeks ago. I was hoping he would stay and do at least one season under Steven Moffat, and he said he was tempted to, but decided the time was right to leave.

As for the next actor, I don't think they've picked him yet. I know the title of the Christmas Special is [I]The Next Doctor[/I], but that is not conclusive proof that David Morrisey is going to be the one to take over from David Tennant. It may be like the plot of the audio play [I]The One Doctor[/I], when the Sixth Doctor and Mel met an impostor.

They've already started bandying other sames about, including Sean Pertwee, whom I wouldn't mind seeing in play the part because he's a good actor AND the son of Third Doctor actor John Pertwee.

I'm am surprised to hear of Tennant leaving. He was pretty good doctor and brought the new Doctor Who to a new life. I knew though it was about time for there to be a new doctor. [SIZE=2]Even though I have not seen Children in Need I have heard of David Morrisey. He doesn't seem to me like a he would fit the part of the doctor to me.
[/SIZE]

Right, I just watched the Children In Need thing and I am even more convinced now that David Morrisey's character is just some impostor and not the genuine "Next Doctor".

I could be wrong, but I think this is just another thing to make the fans go "WTF!?" and stay fidgety until the episode airs, like how it looked like the Doctor would regenerate at the end of [I]The Stolen Earth[/I].

[FONT="Tahoma"]I heard about this a few weeks ago, it was probably your update on your world where I first saw the news TimeChaser. ^^

I'm still not sure on who they plan on replacing Tennant with. I keep hearing different things actually. Including the statement that so far there hasn't been an official announcement of who the next actor to play the doctor will be.

It will be odd to see him go though since he's done such an excellent job. He really fits the role well so whoever is next will have a lot to live up to.[/FONT]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]Everyone over here new half way through the last season that he was leaving. Sucks to watch a British show in America =p.
Also, you get no more seasons. He's only doing specials - that's about three more episodes. Two incredibly short ones and a Christmas special. Or vice versa.[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I was under the impression that, even when the Journey's End aired, it was just a rumor. Far as I can tell, Tennant didn't actually reveal this until October.

And I don't know about your Brits, but we Americans don't like to take rumors at face value. ; )

Oh, my sources tell me 4 more 1 hour specials in addition to this next Christmas special.

I'm also not concerned about the regen limit. I don't believe it's been mentioned in the new series, and I wouldn't put it past the new writers to either ignore it or find a way around it, especially after what they pulled with that false regen.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I'm also not concerned about the regen limit. I don't believe it's been mentioned in the new series, and I wouldn't put it past the new writers to either ignore it or find a way around it, especially after what they pulled with that false regen.[/color][/QUOTE]

Besides, the fact that the Master returned at the end of Season 3 (simply explaining that the Time Lords had resurrected him) proves that by the Time War, they had that ability to give themselves a complete new set of regenerations. I bet that due to the war, they had to extend the number of regens to keep from losing too many of their troops.

It's just a theory, but like you said, since they haven't explicitly mentioned the 13-regeneration limit there's good probability that they will find a way to get around that if the show is still going strong when we get near the end of #13.

[quote name='TimeChaser']Besides, the fact that the Master returned at the end of Season 3 (simply explaining that the Time Lords had resurrected him) proves that by the Time War, they had that ability to give themselves a complete new set of regenerations. I bet that due to the war, they had to extend the number of regens to keep from losing too many of their troops.

It's just a theory, but like you said, since they haven't explicitly mentioned the 13-regeneration limit there's good probability that they will find a way to get around that if the show is still going strong when we get near the end of #13.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I'm under the impression that they've had the ability before; I haven't seen the episode myself, so I'm going on hearsay, but I believe the Master was offered new regenerations in The Five Doctors.

And apparently BBC's current stance on the subject is "[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/faq/plot_continuity.shtml"]who knows[/URL]?"[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I'm under the impression that they've had the ability before; I haven't seen the episode myself, so I'm going on hearsay, but I believe the Master was offered new regenerations in The Five Doctors.

And apparently BBC's current stance on the subject is "[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/faq/plot_continuity.shtml"]who knows[/URL]?"[/color][/QUOTE]

Yep, in [I]The Five Doctors[/I], the Time Lords offered the Master a new set of regenerations if he would rescue the Doctor. However, this clashes with the main storyline, where President Borusa sought Rassilon's mythical immortality. If they could already give the Master new regenerations, why didn't Borusa just do that? It's a technical paradox that continues to plague fandom.

[quote name='TimeChaser']Yep, in [I]The Five Doctors[/I], the Time Lords offered the Master a new set of regenerations if he would rescue the Doctor. However, this clashes with the main storyline, where President Borusa sought Rassilon's mythical immortality. If they could already give the Master new regenerations, why didn't Borusa just do that? It's a technical paradox that continues to plague fandom.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]And that brings up another point; Doctor Who isn't the best with internal consistency. Or logic for that matter.

Which, I suppose, is perfectly acceptable from a show based around time travel. You kind of have to ignore logic from the get-go.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]And that brings up another point; Doctor Who isn't the best with internal consistency. Or logic for that matter.

Which, I suppose, is perfectly acceptable from a show based around time travel. You kind of have to ignore logic from the get-go.[/color][/QUOTE]

There is that. Practically all long-running shows have continuity issues, and Doctor Who in particular. I think it was just a bit of a script error though, like they didn't think it out too far. There wouldn't be much else that would be enough incentive for the Master to agree to help them.

The main reason they came up with the 13-lives limit is that the body could only take so much before it finally gave out. Every regeneration leads to higher chances of instability. This was made most clear in [I]The Trial of a Time Lord[/I] when the Doctor met the Valeyard, an amalgamation of his dark side from sometime in his personal future.

• 1 month later...
[size=1]We've been lied to!

I just watched the Christmas special and it turns out David Morrisey is not the next Doctor. Like I wasn't expecting that >_
So I wonder who the new Doctor will be... or if Tennant is surely quitting...[/size]

Heh, and my scepticism proves to be true. :p

I watched the special last night, and really enjoyed it. Most of the past Christmas specials have had elements that eventually led me to dislike them, things that kind of ruined the story and made it feel silly (I am aware of the British tradition of panto at Christmastime).

I think this one was better because it was scaled down from trying to be more epic than the rest. Plus I liked the storyline of the man who thought he was the Doctor. Morrisey seemed like he'd be annoying from the opening sequence, but then you get to like him when the story starts to unfold. There was real heart and emotion to this episode.

I just wish they'd have come up with a better name for the next special, because [I]Planet of the Dead[/I] is too similar to [I]Forest of the Dead[/I]. Lazy titles... :animeangr

[size=1]The special was better than the last lot but not awesome. I enjoyed it... I was bored for the first few minutes but then it got interesting. I just wish they could explain those weird Cyber-animal creature things haha.

The humour in this episode rocked. I thought the big industrial cyber machine was a bit farfetched, until I realised I was watching Doctor Who XD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this Russel's last episode he's writing for? If so it was better than some of the crap he did, but it was no Blink and certainly no Satan Pit!

I wonder what the hell is happening with Tennant anyway...[/size]

Yeah, they didn't explain the Cybershades (those animal things) too well, but I really liked them, they were a nice touch.

Russel is co-writing the next couple of specials and then I think writing the last one on his own. Wiki removed some information, but unless it changes there will be a special at Easter, one at Christmas 2009, and one early in 2010 that will be a 2-parter presumably leading into Season 5 and the Eleventh Doctor.

I think Tennant is serious about leaving. He says he was tempted to stay on one more season to work with Moffat as the new head writer, but he'd always intended to leave at the same time as Russel.

[size=1]So I heard it on the radio: Matt Smith. I think. My first reaction was 'lolwho?' so I googled his name and came up with this:

[center][img]http://www.campmeeting.org/emmanuel/images/smlmatt.jpg[/img][/center]

Are we in for a treat or should I actually check the BBC site?[/size]

EDIT: OMG I FOUND HIM LOL HE IS WELL THE FITTEST THING ON THE PLANET I'M GOING STRAIGHT! [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/[/url]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Well that's interesting. o_O And I'm sorry to say it, but my first impression with him being so skinny and pale... was to think [SIZE="1"]Twilight[/SIZE]. >_> Sorry but that was my first impression. I am curious to see how he works out though.[/QUOTE]

But just remember, blame Twilight for that and not anybody on the DW production team. ;)

I've never seen Matt Smith before, so I can't make any judgments yet on his acting. I can see certain sparks in him in the Doctor Who Confidential interview that give me hope that he'll work out, and I put my trust in Steven Moffat (brillianyt writer) and the rest of the team who understand that this is a hard role to cast and play.

My only reservation is his age, I mean he's a year younger than me. :animestun I just wonder, in the context of the stories, how will older characters act toward this man who appears much younger than them?

[size=1]I think it'd be hilarious when a 26 year old tells off a scientist or something. And is bossing around half of the UN or UNIT, haha.

I think he'll be excellent. He looks like someone I saw once in the History Boys in London, but I think he's going to be a clever Doctor from his gestures and the way he speaks. Unfortunately he was in theatre so you can't get hold of his stuff; I have previous stuff from Tennant, on the otherhand.

Everyone normally has apprehensions about the new Doctors, and David Tennant received the most after [strike]big ears[/strike] Christopher. I'm just waiting for the fangirls to react to this one.

And I'm not a fangirl by the way, I'm the descendant of a family of oldies![/size]

[quote name='TimeChaser']But just remember, blame Twilight for that and not anybody on the DW production team. ;)[/quote]Oh I do. I've just seen posters for that silly movie everywhere so the pale skinny look just reminded me of it. What I've seen of Dr. Who hasn't disappointed me yet so I'm not worried about it.

Not sure I'm a fan of the new Doc. I hope they're not going for the teen crowd. He seems a little too young for my liking. Oh well, Moffatt is in charge and he did well with his scripts, hopefully he knows what he is doing.