OtakuBoards

[The New] Doctor Who

Vicky

[quote name='Tophel']Not sure I'm a fan of the new Doc. I hope they're not going for the teen crowd. He seems a little too young for my liking. Oh well, Moffatt is in charge and he did well with his scripts, hopefully he knows what he is doing.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they cast him to reach a certain demographic. I trust what they said in the Confidential, talking about how hard a role the Doctor is to play, and that they chose Matt because he real nailed it in their eyes.

Alas, we must wait several more torturous months to find out. :animesigh

I'm looking forward to two things:
1) Once they cast the companion, the next press photos of Matt and (insert name here later) in costume/character.
2) Our first glimpse of Matt actually acting, likely a brief minute right after the regeneration and then the trailer for Season 5.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I didn't, though. I've always enjoyed Tennant's face.[/color][/QUOTE]

Me too. My point was though, that I think looks aren't really that important, it's how well an actor can play the part.

I also thought Matt Smith looked odd when I first saw him, but I'm getting more used to it.

I'm just... nevermind me. :animesmil I'm just tired of seeing so many early judgments of him based on one interview and one picture. I think my natural defense mechanisms kick in because I've been a fan of the show my whole life. I don't mean to be rude about your opinion.

Exactly! Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Tom Baker, Colin Baker, McCoy, Eccleston... none of them were "attractive". About the only ones you can say that about are Davison, McGann, and Tennant.

While I absolutely love Tennant for his energy and performance, I think a bothersome side-effect of this new age of Doctor Who is this new air of sexuality (however minor) that's crept in. It is reflective of modern times, but it was something they never dared touch in the classic series.

[quote name='TimeChaser']I'm just... nevermind me. :animesmil I'm just tired of seeing so many early judgments of him based on one interview and one picture. .[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]My judgements of him are currently only about his face. I'm waiting for some screen time before I say anything else. ; )

Although I've seen more than one picture. And there was even one were he didn't look like a Jay Leno/Crispen Glover vampire lovechild![/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]My judgements of him are currently only about his face. I'm waiting for some screen time before I say anything else. ; )

Although I've seen more than one picture. And there was even one were he didn't look like a Jay Leno/Crispen Glover vampire lovechild![/color][/QUOTE]

Fair enough. :animesmil

Heh, yeah... I'm hoping he gets a little bit of a haircut at least for the role. I have fears of him being labeled the "Emo Doctor" or something similar just because of the way his hair is right now. :animesigh

[quote name='TimeChaser']Fair enough. :animesmil

Heh, yeah... I'm hoping he gets a little bit of a haircut at least for the role. I have fears of him being labeled the "Emo Doctor" or something similar just because of the way his hair is right now. :animesigh[/QUOTE]

[size=1]Haha but that kind of thing would appeal to the kiddy winks. Unfortunately emo fangirls irritate me because they think watching the TV movie makes them an old time fan.

I do agree he should get a hair cut but you know, it's quite popular these days. It's almost like Tennant wearing the converse, except they looked good.

This new Doctor still looks really pretty though =3. For a man.[/size]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]Haha but that kind of thing would appeal to the kiddy winks. Unfortunately emo fangirls irritate me because they think watching the TV movie makes them an old time fan.

I do agree he should get a hair cut but you know, it's quite popular these days. It's almost like Tennant wearing the converse, except they looked good.[/size][/QUOTE]

I don't really mind his hair, I'm just afraid of him getting unfair and inaccurate labels. I guess I shouldn't sweat it too much. :animeswea

Heh, and it worked in my case. I bought a pair because of Tennant. :rolleyes:

[SIZE=1]With my vast and untouchable knowledge/memory of film and TV, I am fortunate enough to say I've seen Matt Smith act in a couple of different things on TV, and he was really rather good. The two roles he played were so totally different, and yet he inhabited the characters equally well, so I can see the potential for a good Doctor in there (he should be able to handle the multi-faceted nature of the character's personality).

It seems shallow, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he chooses to wear. Th clothes are such a memorable and vital part of the character that it seems really important to me. I mean, when Tennant's Doctor first came on TV in the pinstripe suit and Converse, that was all I wanted to wear for weeks.

Matt Smith's lack of eyebrows does creep me out ever so slightly, though...
[/SIZE]

[quote name='DeLarge'][SIZE=1]With my vast and untouchable knowledge/memory of film and TV, I am fortunate enough to say I've seen Matt Smith act in a couple of different things on TV, and he was really rather good. The two roles he played were so totally different, and yet he inhabited the characters equally well, so I can see the potential for a good Doctor in there (he should be able to handle the multi-faceted nature of the character's personality).

It seems shallow, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he chooses to wear. Th clothes are such a memorable and vital part of the character that it seems really important to me. I mean, when Tennant's Doctor first came on TV in the pinstripe suit and Converse, that was all I wanted to wear for weeks.

Matt Smith's lack of eyebrows does creep me out ever so slightly, though...
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I should see if I can find something he's been in so I can get a feel for his acting. I feel more confident now from your appraisal of his past work (plus I knew Moffat and the team would never pick someone who wasn't good enough for the part).

Yeah, the clothes are always important, they help define the character as much as the performance. I'm not sure if I heard it in an official source, but one reason each Doctor picks his particular outfit/style is to help stabilize his new persona, to differentiate the new him from all his other selves. I'm hoping we get another bunch of press photos when they start filming so we can see him in his actual Doctor clothes.

Heh, yeah the lack of eyebrows is a bit disconcerting, but as someone who's eyebrows are barely there, I can get over it. :animesmil

• 4 months later...
[color=darkred][size=1]Its been pretty much confirmed that last Wednesday (May 20t) was Tennant's last day on set :( They're saying [spoiler]The Doctor's next regeneration could occur as early as the next special[/spoiler].

I'm sad to see Tennant go. I just recently got into the series, and while it was difficult to adjust to Tennant, he won me over by the time I was done with [i]The Girl In The Fireplace[/i]. Regardless of how Matt Smith does, Moffat taking over the series inspires a lot of faith that this is still going to be a fantastic series.

--Christopher[/color][/size]

• 8 months later...
Thread Revival!

Now that I'm back posting on the OB and [I]The End of Time[/I] has come and gone, with the new season approaching I'll post the currently known details of stories, authors, and casting.

[B]Episode 1 - "The Eleventh Hour" by Steven Moffat[/B]
The first episode of the season, following directly from the conclusion to [I]The End of Time[/I]. Introduces Karen Gillan as new companion Amy Pond and Arthur Darvill as Rory, a character connected to Amy.

[B]Episode 2 - "The Beast Below" by Steven Moffat[/B]
Guest starring Sophie Okonedo, who previously voiced the character Alison Cheney in the animated web adventure [I]The Scream of the Shalka[/I] opposite Richard E. Grant as an alternative Ninth Doctor.

[B]Episode 3 - "Victory of the Daleks" by Mark Gatiss[/B]
A Dalek story set in WWII. Guest starring Ian McNeice who appears in the Dune and Children of Dune miseries as Baron Harkonnen. Mark Gatiss previously wrote [I]The Unquiet Dead[/I] (Season 1) and [I]The Idiot's Lantern[/I] (Season 2), as well as guest-starring as Professor Richard Lazarus in [I]The Lazarus Experiment[/I] (Season 3)

[B]Episodes 4 & 5 by Steven Moffat[/B]
First 2-parter of the season, featuring the return of the Weeping Angels from [I]Blink[/I] (Season 3) and Alex Kingston as River Song, first introduced in Moffat's episodes [I]Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead[/I] (Season 4).

[B]Episode 6 by Toby Whitehouse[/B]
Referred to as the "Vampires in Venice" episode, this episode will see Rory join the Doctor and Amy on at least one trip in the TARDIS. Toby Whitehouse previously wrote [I]School Reunion[/I] (Season 2).

[B]Episode 7 by Simon Nye[/B]
No details have been released yet concerning this episode. This will be Simon Nye's first time writing for the series.

[B]Episodes 8 & 9 by Chris Chibnal[/B]
Rumors have indicated these episodes will feature a return of the Silurians and Sea Devils from the classic series, but this has remained unconfirmed and Moffat has stated that this season would forgo the previous trends of re-inventing classic monsters. Chris Chibnal also wrote [I]42[/I] (Season 3) as well as episodes of Torchwood.

[B]Episode 10 by Richard Curtis[/B]
The 'guest historical' of the season featuring actor Tony Curran as Vincent Van Gogh. Richard Curtis is a well-known screenwriter, with the films Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones's Diary, and Love Actually among his credentials. This is his first time writing for the series.

[B]Episode 11 by Gareth Roberts[/B]
An episode supposedly focusing on Amy. Gareth Roberts has previously written [I]The Shakespeare Code[/I] (Season 3) and [I]The Unicorn and the Wasp[/I] (Season 4), as well as co-writing the Spring Special [I]Planet of the Dead[/I] with former lead writer & exec. producer Russell T. Davies, as well as writing for The Sarah Jane Adventures, including [I]The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smit[/I]h which guest starred David Tennant.

[B]Episodes 12 & 13 by Steven Moffat[/B]
Season finale. No details have been released although the crew is currently filming them. Reports indicate these episodes will also feature River Song, and some filming has just taken place at Stonehenge.

Also in the latest new series news, author Neil Gaiman (Sandman graphic novels, Coraline, American Gods, Good Omens) has confirmed that he will be writing an episode for the 2011 season. Since the revival of the series, fans have often speculated if Gaiman would write for it.

[color=deeppink]Seeing video of the Eleventh Doctor actually made his face seem even weirder. It is a most unnatural thing.

I cautiously optmistic about him. While I don't really care for what I assume is one of his catch phrases (Geronimo? Really?), his performance was most enjoyable. I approve.[/color]

Just checking the Wiki to see if any new information was added, found this new tidbit on the Eleventh Doctor page:

In an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Steven Moffat revealed that the Eleventh Doctor had an entirely different costume until close to the start of filming. The original look had a piratical feel which Benjamin Cook described as "a little like something Captain Jack Sparrow wears in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies". However Matt Smith was unhappy with the costume as he felt it reflected how someone else would dress the Doctor, rather than how the Doctor would dress himself. The eventual costume, in particular the bow-tie, was influenced by Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor, after Matt Smith fell in love with the Troughton story The Tomb of the Cybermen.

This certainly confirms my belief that they were going for a Troughton feel with the new outfit, and it makes me glad they chose that when I think about how it could have been. Piratical? Jack Sparrow? That would have really been a nightmare. :animestun

• 1 year later...
With the first 2 episodes aired and only 5 more to look forward to before the positively evil summer gap, I'm looking for ways to distract myself and this thread seems perfect ^^
So, a first half of Series 6 synopsis:

Episode 1: [b]The Impossible Astronaut (Part 1 of 2)[/b] - By Steven Moffat

Episode 2: [b]Day of the Moon (Part 2 of 2)[/b] - By Steven Moffat

Episode 3: [b]The Curse of the Black Spot[/b] - By Steve Thompson

Episode 4: [b]The Doctor's Wife[/b] - By Neil Gaiman

Episode 5: [b]The Rebel Flesh (Part 1 of 2)[/b] - By Matthew Graham

Episode 6: [b]The Almost People (Part 2 of 2)[/b] - By Matthew Graham

Episode 7: [b]A Good Man Goes to War (Part 1 of 2) [/b] - By Steven Moffat

[i]*edited 22nd Aug. 2011*[/i]
[i]
[/i]
[i]And here's the second half synopsis (well, most of it)
[/i]
[i]
[/i]
Episode 8: [b]Let's Kill Hitler (Part 2 of 2) [/b]- By Steven Moffat

Episode 9: [b]Night Terrors [/b]- By Mark Gatiss

Episode 10: [b]The Girl Who Waited [/b]- By Tom MacRae

Episode 11: [b]The God Complex [/b]- By Toby Whithouse

Episode 12: [b]Closing Time [/b]- By Gareth Roberts

Episode 13: [i][b]TBA[/b] - [/i]By Steven Moffat
[i]*end of edit*[/i]

So many theories floating around, and only 2 episodes down... and I just keep staring at the writer of episode 4 [img]http://www.otakuboards.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wow.gif[/img]

On a side note: *drags thread to the land of the living* Edited by SeDoc

• 2 weeks later...
[color="#006400"]:o I didn't realize the next season had started. I'm going to have to get on that, lol. I only somewhat recently started watching the show. I took like two weeks to just sit there and no-life it through the first five seasons (well first five of the "new" Doctor Who) several months back, lol. I was hooked pretty quick.

It was a little sad to see Tennant go, though I enjoyed the new Doctor. It was an interesting change from the suave, postured Doctor to a more scatter-brained, dorky one. And the fact that his companion wasn't just another love fool was welcome. She's awfully cute, too. ;P

Strangely one of my favorite episodes was one that featured very little of the Doctor, "Blink." Such an amazing episode. I've never been so creeped out by statues. I can watch any horror movie, play any horror game and not be phased. But Weeping Angels are just a downright frightening concept, lol.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
Series 6 has an even more frightening concept, introduced in episode 1! It gave me chills.

But I will say this. The episode Neil Gaiman wrote: sublime. Just, wow ^^

Here's a question I will put to everyone: what do you guys think of River Song? Opinions, theories, etc.
(Don't forget to hide series 6 spoilers, just to be fair... [img]http://www.otakuboards.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sweatdrop.gif[/img] )
[quote name='PiroMunkie' timestamp='1305355831' post='707340']
[color="#006400"]:o I didn't realize the next season had started. I'm going to have to get on that, lol. I only somewhat recently started watching the show. I took like two weeks to just sit there and no-life it through the first five seasons (well first five of the "new" Doctor Who) several months back, lol. I was hooked pretty quick.

It was a little sad to see Tennant go, though I enjoyed the new Doctor. It was an interesting change from the suave, postured Doctor to a more scatter-brained, dorky one. And the fact that his companion wasn't just another love fool was welcome. She's awfully cute, too. ;P

Strangely one of my favorite episodes was one that featured very little of the Doctor, "Blink." Such an amazing episode. I've never been so creeped out by statues. I can watch any horror movie, play any horror game and not be phased. But Weeping Angels are just a downright frightening concept, lol.[/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='SeDoc' timestamp='1306701658' post='707652']Series 6 has an even more frightening concept, introduced in episode 1! It gave me chills.[/quote][color="#006400"]Ehh, the thing about them is I wouldn't remember how terrified I was. :P Unless I was clever enough to come up with a system to do so like they did.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif][size=4]"There's a problem with the Daleks. They are the most famous of the Doctor's adversaries and the most frequent, which means they are the most reliably defeatable enemies in the universe," Moffat on "resting" the Daleks for the rest of Series 6. [/size][/font][/color]
[font="Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][size=4]I just thought the quote hilarious so I had to share. :D
[/size][/color][/font]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif][size=4]
[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif][size=4]Also, my River Song question is now redundant... [/size][/font][/color][img]http://www.otakuboards.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sweatdrop.gif[/img]

• 3 months later...
[quote name='PiroMunkie' timestamp='1317521027' post='709706']
[color="#006400"]Toooootally called the ending to this season's finale.

But now I don't know what to do with my life until next season. ._.[/color]
[/quote]

[color="#800080"]Fear not! There's still the Christmas special with Bill Bailey! Oh, and a little bit of anime goes along way [/color][img]http://www.otakuboards.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wow.gif[/img]
[color="#800080"]And let's not forget Moffat's "Sherlock" too... ^^[/color]
[color="#800080"]
[/color]
[color="#800080"]I did not see that as the ending at all. I was being distracted (quite ingeniously) by the story-telling [img]http://www.otakuboards.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sweatdrop.gif[/img] Hooray for creative misdirection!
[/color]