OtakuBoards

Star Ocean - The Last Hope

Magus

Never thought I'd see myself making a thread for the Star Ocean series since I can't stand SO3. I've been skeptical about anything dealing with Star Ocean.

[quote=IGN]Star Ocean: The Last Hope is the fourth entry in the futuristic space opera RPG series, the long-awaited continuation of the celebrated science fiction and fantasy RPG series. This prequel set during the aftermath of World War III combines sci-fi and fantasy elements spanning multiple planets and the vastness of space itself to recount the origins of the Star Ocean universe. Exhilarating combat expands upon the franchise's famous real-time battle system, introducing amazing graphics and next-gen visual effects.

Genre: RPG
Exclusively on Xbox 360
Release Date: March 3, 2009

[b]General Features[/b]
- A prequel that combines sci-fi and fantasy elements, spanning multiple planets and the vastness of space itself to recount the origins of the STAR OCEAN universe

- Exhilarating combat expands upon the franchise’s famous real-time battle system, including the amazing graphics and visual effects only possible on the Xbox 360

- Features breathtaking CG movies by Visual Works, the cutting-edge studio whose previous work includes cut scenes for the acclaimed FINAL FANTASY RPG series [/quote]
As I said, I've been skeptical with any Star Ocean title mainly because of the battle system. Not to mention I couldn't stand Fayt. (I'm hoping the main character's not at as bad as him.)

One thing I must admit is that this game looks amazing.

[url]http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/903309/star-ocean-4/videos/SO4_111408.html[/url] (Don't know the tags for videos)

Looks like crap.

Sorry guys. :<

If your characters are going to be anime styled, at least have a stylized graphic engine.

If you are going for cliched anime styled dialogue, give us good voice acting.

If you are going sci-fi, no freaking swords! Chainsaw-blades are an exception.

ACtually the swords even in a sci-fi is explained quite thoroughly in the Star Ocean lore. There's a law amongst the advanced races that there will be no introduction of technology beyond the capabilities of society of an under-developed planet. This includes interaction if possible. The games are usually set on fantasy style planets that are more in the medieval ages thus to fit in with the Law the characters use swords. However this Law is usually broken as you progress further through some of the games (especially in SO3).Rarely in an SO game do you see guns or laser weapons.

[QUOTE=Matt]Looks like crap.

Sorry guys. :<

If your characters are going to be anime styled, at least have a stylized graphic engine.

If you are going for cliched anime styled dialogue, give us good voice acting.

If you are going sci-fi, no freaking swords! Chainsaw-blades are an exception.[/QUOTE]Looks fine, sorry. =P I actually prefer the look of the trailer over what you think it should look like.

Also Meggido already explained why it has swords and nitpicking over that detail without knowing the nature of the universe of the game in question is kind of silly.

I really enjoyed Star Ocean: Till the End of Time so if this does well, I might finally break down and get a 360. Though it will depend on whether or not they have other games I'm interested in. Though they do have Tales of Vesperia so having more than one game I'm interested in, is a plus.

Well, I have one question:

Why don't they just make a fantasy game if they like swords so much? I mean, they are already visiting fantasy worlds [I]anyways[/I], if what Rach says is correct.

It just makes more sense. I don't mind Science-Fantasy - Death to the Emperor! - but, JRPG just has this retarded fascination with swords.

I mean, why do they have swords in FF7 and 8? It just breaks the modern day setting. Yes, I know the Lionheart is a badass sword, but that is beyond the point!

Most of the JRPGs are a poor man's Science-Fantasy. There are much better Sci-Fantasies I can recommend than what the standard JRPG offers.

And what is up with the realistic graphics but the anime characters? That will forever turn me off. Sorry.

[quote name='Matt']I mean, why do they have swords in FF7 and 8? It just breaks the modern day setting. Yes, I know the Lionheart is a badass sword, but that is beyond the point![/quote]
Heh.. You're nitpicking over something as miniscule as swords and modern day settings? (I know I can be picky but man) In any case, I don't really think the words "modern day" and "fantasy" belong in the same sentence. (But that's just me.) Especially when these games are suppose to take place either before our time or way ahead of our time. None of these games has been following the modern day setting. (Atleast I haven't seen it.) I'd go to the Persona games if I were you. They're more modern day-ish, or so I've heard.

I understand you want something different, but you're looking at the wrong people to provide you with what you want. Square / Tri-Ace, while I haven't played every title they've come out with (I've probably only played about 5 games total), but as far as I know, swords has been, and from the looks of it, will always be in their games.

And I don't want to change the topic anymore than it has been already, but I can't help but wonder if you're playing, or have played Valkyrie Chronicles? Sort of sounds like you're comparing JRPGs to that.

[quote name='Matt']And what is up with the realistic graphics but the anime characters? That will forever turn me off. Sorry.[/quote]
No one is twisting your arms to play these games, Matt. If it don't appeal to you then don't buy it.

[COLOR="Sienna"][FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=Matt]Well, I have one question:

Why don't they just make a fantasy game if they like swords so much? I mean, they are already visiting fantasy worlds [I]anyways[/I], if what Rach says is correct.

It just makes more sense. I don't mind Science-Fantasy - Death to the Emperor! - but, JRPG just has this retarded fascination with swords.

I mean, why do they have swords in FF7 and 8? It just breaks the modern day setting. Yes, I know the Lionheart is a badass sword, but that is beyond the point!

Most of the JRPGs are a poor man's Science-Fantasy. There are much better Sci-Fantasies I can recommend than what the standard JRPG offers.

And what is up with the realistic graphics but the anime characters? That will forever turn me off. Sorry.[/QUOTE]I guess my question is, why should they? Make one that doesn't mix those aspects you don't care for? I've only played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, but it was a mix. One character used swords, another a type of gauntlets, one various types of laser pistols, etc.

You see it as retarded when it merely seems to me that they're following a similar path as previous versions of this series. And I enjoyed the previous game a lot. It's one of my all time favorites out of the games I own.

See the thing is, if I want one that is more sci-fantasy, I can go and look for it, but I like the hybrid mix that has some of both. So though you think the others are better, I actually like this better. I think it's really more of a preference when it comes to types of games, instead of one actually being better than the other.

So you don't care for it, that's fine. =P My only lament is that I don't have an xbox 360 so I won't even be able to play it when it comes out. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Well maybe it is just me, and I am like to nickpick at things... so that when I write my stories, I can break them apart, and fix them, so that they can be all the stronger.

Maybe I like to read Western styled stories, after most Eastern styled stories almost always seem to rely on cliches.

Maybe I'm just a big arse.

Maybe I'm crazy.

But I'm Matt, and this is what you get - a nickpicking arse who just might be crazy.

I've never played the original Star Ocean, I caught the second in the series. I loved the multiple endings via your choices aspect it made the playability pretty high. I regret that due to my military responsibilities I didn't get to re-play SO3, I'm really psyched about this one. I'm also sort've torn because I'm thinking Last Remnant is going to kick @** and If the rumors are true I'll be logging a TON of hours on it.

Personally I've always liked the clash between fantasy and modern day, I guess you really can't mix the two. Maybe I should say I love the clash between Medieval and Modern day worlds; really makes for a great game in my opinion.

Oh and yes Matt you are a nitpicky arse, but without people like you, people like me would never see ANY of the downsides to games, so don't change anything.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][quote name='Matt']

Maybe I like to read Western styled stories, after most Eastern styled stories almost always seem to rely on cliches.
[/QUOTE]

That's a half-truth. Western styled stories also have cliches in them as well. Maybe you prefer Western cliches over Eastern ones?

[quote name='Matt']If you are going sci-fi, no freaking swords! Chainsaw-blades are an exception.[/quote]

THIS....IS....GEARS OF WARRRRRR!!!! *shot*

I'm guessing that it also turned you off in Xenosaga when Ziggy could use his hands and feet to fight? Granted most of the weapons were futuristic-ish (KOS-MOS had guns, but she also had swords and Hammers and what not), but I have no qualms about using swords in futuristic settings. Hell, Jedi use them, so why not JRPG characters?:p

I'm going to buy this game regardless (YES GOME, I AM), because I liked Star Ocean since the beginning games and I am begging for more after SO3. Hopefully we won't be waiting forever with this game, like the previous entry in the series. They weren't kidding when they said "Till the End of Time"[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]

That's a half-truth. Western styled stories also have cliches in them as well. Maybe you prefer Western cliches over Eastern ones?[/font][/quote]

Not the books that *I* read. 8) George R.R. Martin is KING.

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'm guessing that it also turned you off in Xenosaga when Ziggy could use his hands and feet to fight? Granted most of the weapons were futuristic-ish (KOS-MOS had guns, but she also had swords and Hammers and what not), but I have no qualms about using swords in futuristic settings. Hell, Jedi use them, so why not JRPG characters?:p[/font][/quote]

I have no problem with hand to hand combat. I also don't have a problem with swords in sci-fi -- it's just that the Japanese love their swords TOO much. 9/10, ever main lead will use a sword.

Why not a flail? Flails are cool. What about a hammer? Hammers can be pretty awesome too. And come on, what is more cooler than a guy using his own fists to beat up his opponent to a bloody pile? That is just awesome. :D

And Jedi didn't use swords like most JRPGs do. Come on, there is a huge difference between a bastard sword and a freaking lightsaber.

Aaryanna already covered it really, I play games like this because I like them. =P[quote name='Matt]And come on, what is more cooler than a guy using his own fists to beat up his opponent to a bloody pile? That is just awesome. :D[/QUOTE]Then you would have liked Cliff Fittir in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Since he used a type of glove and did just that, used his fists to fight with. No blood though, the game doesn't work like that. [QUOTE=Matt']And Jedi didn't use swords like most JRPGs do. Come on, there is a huge difference between a bastard sword and a freaking lightsaber.[/quote]Ironically, coolness factor aside, I've never been a huge fan of lightsabers. Sure the games are fun, but once I play one and win, I never seem to have an interest in playing again. Where this other types of Jrpg's as you put it do have more replay value. At least for me anyway.

Oh and I really don't mind that you're nitpicking a bit since it's clear it's more of an issue about what you prefer. I'm reasonably sure that there are games you like that bore me to tears so...

Oh and my understanding is that Producer Yoshinori Yamagishi revealed at the 2008 Tokyo Game Show that this release will be the last in the series. Since I've only played Till the End of Time, I guess if I want more, I'll have to look into getting previous releases.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Oh and I really don't mind that you're nitpicking a bit since it's clear it's more of an issue about what you prefer. I'm reasonably sure that there are games you like that bore me to tears so...[/QUOTE]

The only candidate for that would be Planescape: Torment...

The very best book I have ever played. Best videogame story ever. Hands down.

But, it's interesting that the producer announced this would be the last. I would of expected S-E to milk any franchise for all it's worth.

FF-X2, FF Tactics Advance, Chocobo Racing, Final Fantasy 7 Snowboarding...

Oh God, the list goes on.

This one's a Prequel to all the previous games Matt. The reason for it being the final (kinda tentative since I read that they were gonna announce a PS3 only SO) is that SE3 kinda rounded off the whole franchise. The ending was really quite obscure yet it reminded me of series like Trigun and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 in which the final villain has been defeated but there's no real answer to what's next. Apparantly in japan the ending of SE3 had fans torn regarding their opinions of the game. In some ways finishing a series with where everything began is a nice way to round things off (now if I could just get my hands on SE3 again....I stupidly traded it in).

• 2 months later...
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Here's a new trailer. Y'all gonna have to show me the tags for url as well as videos lol.

[url]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44763.html[/url]

It's truly looking more and more impressive. As I've said before, I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to SO3. Fayt practically killed my experience (and perhaps, too much of a complex battle system for me.), and with this new leading character (Edge Maverick), I can't help, but feel a little iffy. He kind of gives off that same type of personality that Fayt does... I won't judge him on it yet though lol.

Apparently, its set release date is Feb 24 2009 instead of Mar 3.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][QUOTE=Magus][COLOR="DarkGreen"]It's truly looking more and more impressive. As I've said before, I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to SO3. Fayt practically killed my experience (and perhaps, too much of a complex battle system for me.), and with this new leading character (Edge Maverick), I can't help, but feel a little iffy. He kind of gives off that same type of personality that Fayt does... I won't judge him on it yet though lol.

Apparently, its set release date is Feb 24 2009 instead of Mar 3.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]And Fayt was my favorite character from the previous game. XD I can't tell if that video gives that type of feel or not. And though I wouldn't mind, I'd prefer someone different just cause that's usually more fun.

As for the release date. Even if it's only a little sooner, I certainly won't mind that either. I'm looking forward to playing this game. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]And Fayt was my favorite character from the previous game. XD I can't tell if that video gives that type of feel or not. And though I wouldn't mind, I'd prefer someone different just cause that's usually more fun.

As for the release date. Even if it's only a little sooner, I certainly won't mind that either. I'm looking forward to playing this game. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Well, I didn't get too far so I didn't get a chance to see all the characters. But I think Cliff (?) was my favorite at that time. I suppose if Fayt wasn't so naive then I probably would've liked him more.

And while I didn't get that feeling about Edge during that video.. (I got it from the 1st trailer actually. I have to watch it again just to make sure. It could be a case of just being too skeptical. XD) As I've said though, I'm not going to judge him just yet. He can be a completely different type of character from Fayt altogether.

I agree with you about the release date. While I'm not as anxious about it, I do want to see what it's like, and more than likely I'll be getting this very late since I plan on getting Street Fighter 4.[/COLOR]

Watching that new trailer I'd have to say that the new protagonist seems to be a lot more in control of things than Fayt or even Roddick. If that's the case we might see a refreshing change to Star Ocean rather than the hero drawn into something they couldn't control. Who knows but it might stick to the same methods. Still can't wait for this.

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]I almost hate watching the trailers for this. Not because the game doesn't look nifty or because I don't want to play it... but because I don't have an xbox 360 and I [I]do[/I] want to play it.

So though I'm thrilled to see a new one coming out... who knows when I'll get to play it. I have too many other expenses this year to even consider getting a new console.... Bah.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Times New Roman"]IGN's been showing some profiles on the characters, and they have a trailer showing off more fighting.

[url]http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/903309/star-ocean-4/videos/strocean_part1_013009.html[/url] <= Trailer

[url]http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/903309/star-ocean-4/videos/starocean_faize_meracle_020309.html[/url] <= Trailer 2

[quote=IGN][b]Edge Maverick[/b]
"I can't just leave our people alone out there!"
Sex: Male
Race: Earthling
Weapon: Sword

An honest young man with a strong sense of justice and responsibility. He volunteers for the malden voyage of the SRF (Space Reconnaissance Force) to save humanity from the brink of extinction, electing to journey outside his solar system to the vast universe beyond. While he possesses superior circumstantial judgment, he tends to come off as reckless and his jump-the-gun nature probably doesn't help matters. His childhood friend Reimi gives him an earful over it regularly.

[b]Reimi Saionji[/b]
"I believe in you, Edge."
Sex: Female
Race: Earthling
Weapon: Bow

A young lady born into the illustrious Saionji household, Reimi has studied archery since childhood and now stands tow to tow with other masters of the bow. For all her kindness and consideration toward others, Reimi is extremely hard on herself, and sometimes the press gets to her. Like Edge, she was selected at a young age for the maiden voyage of the SRF, and takes part in the journey into deep space. There, she serves the team as a level-headed navigator and a source of support for Edge.

[b]Faize Shelfa Beleth[/b]
"I still have so much to learn from you, Edge."
Sex: Male
Race: Eldarian
Weapon: Rapier

A young man from the planet Eldar who belongs to a planetary exploration ream. He considers etiquette very important, and treats those with qualities he lacks with due reverence. He is a man of talent, able to wield symbols that other Eldarians would need a high level of study to master; he even designed on his own a small shuttlecraft for use in exploration. Faize is an extremely logical thinker, and takes on a harsh tone and hard stance towards irrational people, but at heart he's an affable, genuine sort of guy.

[b]Meracle Chamlotte[/b]
"That was for saving me! Sorry for getting spooked and running off!"
Sex: Female
Race: Lesser Fellpool
Weapon: Claws

A Lesser Fellpool (human-cat hybrid) from the planet Roak, Lesser Fellpools are closely related to cats, and can change freely between animal and upright form. Meracle's feline nature is apparent in her behavior. She is very playful and upbeat, friendly with everyone she meets. She can't stand to see anyone unhappy, and does her best to cheer them up.[/quote]

They're suppose to do 1st impressions and hands-on stuff some time today. Anyway, I suppose I should get the one thing that I think will get on my nerves out of the way. Voice acting, the catgirl to be more specific. I was already cringing (2nd trailer) at her screaming.. I guess she was screaming... somewhat.

With that said, I can say that I'm a little relieved to see that Edge will not be like Fayt, (at least I don't think from that description. Anyone wanna help me out with the comparison?) however, the whole "jump the gun" attitude.. And recklessness.. Inuyasha? Oh dear God.

Joking aside though, I'm sold. The fighting looks really good, and the graphics looks amazing. That's 2 for 2 on games from Square that I intend on getting. 3 for 3 actually, but I need to see some gameplay footage of FFXIII Versus.[/FONT]

• 4 weeks later...
I'm surprised nobody has posted yet to "rate" the game, so I guess I'll be the first to do the deed. I'm sort've split right in the middle on the game. At first the combat seemed horrendous, as it seemed choppy and whenever I'd knock a bug into the air (did anybody else get a Starship troopers vibe?) I'd begin attacking and not go airborne.

After getting through the kinks of that, it seems that this is a pretty solid game. Since it's been forever since I've played the older games, didn't the other SO games let you use certain skills without using up MP? I seem to remember there being a distinct difference, but what the hey thanks to the bonus board it makes it almost impossible to lose MP.

The storyline is much better then I expected, and the laugh out loud fact that the main character was named Edge Maverick (compensating for much?). It sort've made me think about when homer changed his name to Max Power (yes a simpsons reference).

Well for the first 2 hours of gameplay I would've given this a 6/10, but after working through the kinks and getting involved in the storylife a 8.5/10 seems sufficient.

• 3 months later...
Finally got this when the pal release happened, and been playing it for the last 3 days. I must say I'm loving every minute of it and thanks to the bonus board the game isn't the slow grind that Star Ocean 3 was. The one thing I'm finding annoying though is that every time I get a new character they're seriously under-leveled compared to the rest of the party though it's fairly easy for them to catch up.

[spoiler]I'm currently level 32 on Edge with everyone else except Meracle between 30-32 and I just landed on Roak. When the mentioned the Nuah earlier on and now with landing on Roak I'm really glad that Square-enix has tied the game in well with the originals. Getting to see Roak in it's full luscious 3D environment has me stoked.[/spoiler]

So far I haven't had much trouble at all with bosses or enemies (though being crit and watching half my bonus board shatter always leaves me crying with the amount of setup I do to get it how I want it) and I can't wait to see the harder difficulties.