OtakuBoards

Prequels.....why?

Drizzt Do'urden

I was watching Vacancy 2 last night, and a thought popped into my head. Why in the heck would anybody watch a prequel? Now I was one of the people who watched Skywalker's transformation into Darth Vader, and the whole time thought "Is anybody going to shoot down this stupid kid piloting the space fighter?" Then thought to myself "Why the hell am I expecting it, I know daarn well he's going to be okay."

So my question is, what do you think about Prequels? I've sort've given up on them (of course as I stated I still watch them). Do you enjoy prequels? What prequels have made you forget that you KNOW which characters survive and what they do, but you just can't think of that since you're so engrossed in the current movie.

Unfortunately, If a movie proves to make a good amount of money then the movie studios will bleed every dollar from it, not matter the quality. It's the only way to explain the crap like Scary Movie still existing.
I choose to avoid film prequels although I have no issues with prequels in video games and comics.

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden'] Do you enjoy prequels? What prequels have made you forget that you KNOW which characters survive and what they do, but you just can't think of that since you're so engrossed in the current movie.[/quote]Not really. I didn't mind them at first, but after a while you just get sick of seeing them. I've yet to watch one where I got pulled in enough to forget what would happen in the original so to speak.

I think the only exception has been some games, if only because some of them though in the same universe, literally did not deal with any of the characters in the one it's a prequel too.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#9933cc]Like sequels, prequels are usually pretty terrible, and I would prefer not to have them exist.

The only time I've ever really seen a prequel done well is "Batman Begins" but that's not really a "prequel" to anything else, per se, since all the Batman movies are kind of independent of one another. It's only the "prequel" to, well, the Batman story itself.[/color]