OtakuBoards

Showing Your Love...

Axel

Its just something I've been thinking of lately, actually. When it comes to commenting, what actually [B]compells[/B] you to comment?[LIST]
[*]Do you only comment on spectacular work that actually moves you, or inspires you?
[*]Do you comment if its of your favorite characters? (Sometimes regardless of skill or effort.)
[*]Do you comment on things only when you feel the person deserves it?
[*]Do you comment, because the person/artist is popular?
[*]Or maybe just to up your post count? :P[/LIST]

But, more to the point... What [B]discourages[/B] you from commenting?[LIST]
[*]Do you feel discouraged if the person posting writing is better than you?
[*]Do you feel discouraged if you see work from a professional writer on the site in question, or if you feel the writing is '[I]too good[/I]'?
[*]Or, do you find that you don't like the subject material?
[*]Or perhaps you really just can't be bothered to type out a reply? :hihi:[/LIST]

Myself, I tend to comment only when I am moved by a piece. This could be anything, from fanfiction to factual texts etc. And I am not picky either when it comes to skill. I also comment if someone needs help, or encouragement. :D

As regards to not commenting, well... For me I find that I can't comment on something if the person has not put any effort into it. If they are just banging out random bits of text for the sole purpose of being noticed, for example, I refuse to comment. I won't comment on fanfiction from an anime series that has become too popular for their own good. (IE: Naruto.) Now, yeah... Each to their own, I say, but I am really rather fed up of seeing it (Its everywhere I go X_x) and it doesn't show much... *clicks fingers* What are the words I'm looking for... 'Variety and originality'. Thats it. :)

So, what about you guys? How do you see yourself as a comment giver?

[B]Do you only comment on spectacular work that actually moves you, or inspires you?[/B]
It varies, I tend to comment if I find it interesting, not because it's spectacular.

[B]Do you comment if its of your favorite characters? (Sometimes regardless of skill or effort.)[/B]
That doesn't really come into play. It still has to be interesting.

[B]Do you comment on things only when you feel the person deserves it?[/B]
What do you mean by deserve? If I actually take the time to comment, I'm not worrying if they deserve it or not.

[B]Do you comment, because the person/artist is popular?[/B]
I would say no, but sometimes that does put their work on the front page at theO and therefore, more noticeable. I don't know if that means their popular or not though and even still, I rarely comment anyway.

[B]Or maybe just to up your post count? :P[/B]
Now that is something I don't do. =P All you have to do is look over at theO to see my comment count isn't all that high. lol Here is another story, though the intent wasn't to increase post count. lol However, I live here it seems like.[I] [SIZE="1"]*headdesk*[/SIZE][/I]

[B]Do you feel discouraged if the person posting writing is better than you?[/B]
Nope. If anything, it's nice to talk to someone who doesn't use abbreviated Internet speech. I find that kind of annoying if there is too much of it.

[B]Do you feel discouraged if you see work from a professional writer on the site in question, or if you feel the writing is '[I]too good[/I]'?[/B]
Nope, no discouragement. Depending on what they have written, I like seeing that since I can learn from it.

[B]Or, do you find that you don't like the subject material?[/B]
I don't dislike something just because it's well written. Not liking the subject material would be just that, something I find uninteresting to read.

[B]Or perhaps you really just can't be bothered to type out a reply?[/B]
That would be more accurate. =P I see plenty of things that are interesting and yet I never get around to commenting on it.

I'm not going to follow the format, *Bad Bad Drizzt*, I just figured I can answer the question in a paragraph (feel free to comment on THAT!)

I'll comment on any piece if I have the time, unless somebody has already beat me to the punch. It pains me to see that most people won't comment on "lackluster" pieces, which I suppose comes from the pieces I've posted that nobody, or maybe 1 or 2 people, have given me their insight.

Even if a piece isn't that interesting, the author deserves to hear about what he/she could do it bring others in. If a piece is just awful it's just the same, though of course I'd never tell somebody that because somebodies work is somebodies work and even if it's something they just jot down it's a piece of them.

So basically I'll comment on anything and everything unless somebody has said what I already was going to say. Or I suppose if I throw out advice a couple times and it seems to be ignored.