OtakuBoards

Tales of Vesperia

Magus

[strike][size=1]I'm not entirely sure about the story yet, synopsis a little bit later[/size][/strike]

Got a synopsis.

[quote name='Gamespot']The game's star is Yuri, a well-meaning troublemaker living in the capitol's lower quarter. Devices called blastia manage the world's magic needs, from monster barriers to mystical weapons. When a thief steals the core of the blastia that regulates the neighborhood's flow of fresh water, Yuri sets off to recover it, only to find himself caught up in a game of politics and class struggle. As he treks across forests and deserts, Yuri and his trusted dog Repede bring various friends into the fold. There's the naive Estelle, a castle noble who finds she has the most to lose--and the most to gain; Or the insufferable Rita, a headstrong magic researcher who keeps getting drawn into the drama in spite of herself.[/quote]

I just started playing [b]Tales of Vesperia[/b] earlier today. A bad mistake, sort of, because these types of games can be addicting, and I'm not done with school and all XD. As a matter of fact I have final projects coming up, and this is certainly not the game I should be playing at the moment lol.

Anyway, I think I'm about maybe 4-5 hours in the game, and I like it so far. Takes a little time getting used to especially with how the controls are setup. B=attack, A=Artes. Coming off of Tales of the Abyss (a long time ago XD) I remember that X=attack, and O=artes. (It's been switched.) I keep pressing the artes button thinking that it's the attack button.

The characters I've seen so far are pretty good. No one annoying, and Yuri is light years ahead of Luke. (THANK GOD) He's way more tolerable. Not whiny, and in some ways, reminds me of Jade. (Not nearly as sarcastic from what I've seen so far though.) There is one character that really caught my interest though. I can't remember his name but [spoiler]he has pink and blonde hair (I think.. going off memory) and is a bit of a nut. He just seems like that one character whose gonna grow and make you care for his death (if he dies). Sort of like Asch[/spoiler].

Estelle is comically naive... (That's a first.) I normally can't stand naive characters (boy, don't we know that :)), but it seems a little refreshing here... Don't me on that because I may end up changing my opinion on her sometime down the line. But for the moment, the way her naiveness (heh) is used here is really refreshing.

Anyone else playing or played this game?

I rented it because the only other Tales game I've played is [I]Tales of Symphonia, [/I]which for some reason (I can't recall his name) the kid that weilds the hammer, reminds me of Lloyd in many ways...

I agree whole heartidly when it comes to Estelle, her ignorance is my bliss.

You stated the exact reason I choose to rent it, due to school. I made it about 8 hrs into it and if it wasn't for the due date would've probably pumped about 48 hrs into the game and 0 on school.

I'm going to pick it back up over the summer *whimpers*

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I'm currently playing this, I'm about twenty hours into the game. I rather like Estelle since like you said, her naivety is actually refreshing for a change. Instead of being annoying like other characters like that are.

If there is a character I don't like very well, it would be Karol, he's just a little too whiny for my tastes so I find myself wanting to toss him out of my party. Though the moments when Rita [spoiler]fights with him are amusing.[/spoiler]

The thing I like the most is how the further you get along, the more the options for battle open up. The characters can move freely around the battlefield to combat their enemies in real-time, which is a plus. I also like how the overlimit can be used by four characters at the same time or a single one for more powerful effects. Fatal strikes are great fun too.

I'm not too impressed with the story, but the sheer beauty of the graphics and battle aspects more than make up for it. The game is just downright pretty. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

All the Articles I've read state that this game is ranked almost as highly as tales of the Abyss (which fans rank as the best tales game). Sadly I'm yet to confirm this first hand as I have to wait till end of June at the earliest for a PAL release.

[quote name='Meggido']All the Articles I've read state that this game is ranked almost as highly as tales of the Abyss (which fans rank as the best tales game). Sadly I'm yet to confirm this first hand as I have to wait till end of June at the earliest for a PAL release.[/quote]And here I'm waiting until I actually have a console that can play the game. Still I've also heard that it's getting rated quite well.

Anyway, I know people who have it and like they've said [SIZE="1"](looks at Beth)[/SIZE] the graphics are beautiful. Plus it's nifty how they have voice overs for all of the skits. It just adds a nice touch to the game in my opinion. I look forward to eventually being able to play it instead of simply watching others have fun with it.

[SIZE="1"]I'm glad to see they seem to have garnered up the funds for voiced skits this time. Legendia had voiced skits, at least, but the data for that corrupted on me long ago...Japan's lucky -- everything from Symphonia onward had voiced skits.

In any case, yes, this game is bloody [I]gorgeous[/I] to look at. It really feels like you're in an anime.

And while I'm here, I need to give my props to Yuri. It's so so so nice to have a protagonist in a JRPG that is actually not whiny/angsty/idiotic, and best of all, ACTUALLY OVER THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN!!!

Another thing I like is the return of really good female character designs. As a mad character maker, the most of which are female, I totally dig good designs for female characters, which Abyss was sadly lacking [outside of maybe Arietta].

Anyways, I should pick this back up again. I've been horribly slacking on it. It'll probably be something to work on over the summer.[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
Due to my ps2 controller giving out (My ps2 sucks and I think it has a vendetta against me.) I decided to continue playing this game.

Anyway.. I don't remember the hours I put into the game now, but I'm [spoiler]reuniting with my party.. After escaping from a prison with Judith[/spoiler]. Speaking of Judith, she just might be my favorite female out of the Tales games that I've played so far. (Tear was pretty good too.)

Rita, while decent at first, her obsession with blastia is becoming quite an annoyance.

[quote name='Drizzt']the kid that weilds the hammer, reminds me of Lloyd in many ways...[/quote]
Karol... (Honestly... that's not a boys name..) I don't really care for him, but it's been pretty funny seeing Yuri pick on him.

Raven is quite the character. I think I like him as much as Yuri.

Yuri, Raven and Judith (I get a Nami/Robin [One Piece] feeling from her) are my favorites for the time being.

It feels kind of weird playing a game without a guide by my side lol. But then again, I suppose this gives me good reasons to actually play the game again once I beat it.

I'm still going to hold my opinion about the graphics for the time being. (They're pretty nice.... "coughs") Music is catchy as well.