OtakuBoards

The Great Rebellion

Kei

[color="#4B0082"][size="1"]Kendra could only shake her head as Terry shook off the hands of the medical personal who were trying to get him to lie back down. She watched as he stubbornly kept going, intent on doing what he could in spite of his injury. Once he was out of view the smile faded from her face and she clutched her arms tightly to her chest, shivering.

[i]Theyâ??re not dead. Donâ??t think that! Youâ??re not done looking yet.[/i] She thought frantically.

She closed her eyes briefly and kept those thoughts foremost in her mind as she turned to leave where the injured were being cared for. It was a good thing that her parents werenâ??t there, wasnâ??t it? All it meant was that they were probably somewhere else in the camp. She wasnâ??t done checking after all. They had to be there somewhere.

After the attack that had gotten Terry, the pursuit had broken off. They had finally been able to slow down and catch their breath. Then they had worked on assessing the damage while treating the injured. It wasnâ??t hard to guess why they had let them go. There was no point in pursuing what was obviously a group of civilians. She imagined they had returned to finish securing the city. Itâ??s what she would have done.

So for now they were safe. Safe!? Kendra laughed; a touch of hysteria colored the sound. They hadnâ??t been safe in their own city! Mortyâ??s forces had been unable to stop them and they had barely escaped with their lives. A shudder ran through her body as she remembered those who hadnâ??t been so lucky.

The poor people hit by Pinecos. The ones trapped in webbing or, she choked, crushed when the tower had fallen. It had given them time to escape but the cost had been terrible. Tears started to run down her face and this time she did nothing to stop them. She was so tired. How she was managing to stay on her feet she didnâ??t know. Kendra couldnâ??t recall the last time she had been this exhausted.

â??[b]Kendra![/b]â? A voice rang out, startling her. She looked about wildly till she spotted a young teenager coming towards her.

To her immense relief it was Sarah, one of the part time workers from the store. Her clothing was covered in ashes and dirt and she could see smear marks on her face where Sarah must have brushed tears away. She ran forward and grabbed Kendraâ??s hands.

â??[b]Thank goodness youâ??re alright! When we couldnâ??t find your parents we were worried you didnâ??t make it either.[/b]â?

Kendra froze in shock. Couldnâ??t find her parents? A cold feeling of dread swept over her and she clutched Sarahâ??s hands tightly.

â??[b]What?[/b]â? She said stupidly as she tried to focus on what she wanted to ask Sarah, but the world seemed to be spinning madly about her.

Sarah looked up at her. â??[b]Weâ??ve been making a list to see who made it out.[/b]â? She explained patiently. â??[b]Other than some of the people being treated, everyone in the camp has been checked.[/b]â?

â??[b]No.[/b]â? Kendra choked as the spinning intensified, sending her to her knees. â??[b]That canâ??t be.[/b]â? She protested weakly as Sarah knelt in front of her, concern written across her face.

â??[b]Kendra?[/b]â? She said softly, not wanting to voice what had to be going through both of their minds.

Kendra looked directly at her as tears started falling down her face. â??[b]Theyâ??re not with the injured.[/b]â? She managed to whisper, taking in Sarahâ??s horrified expression before the spinning returned and dragged her into darkness. [/size][/color]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color="#4169E1"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]The aide who had shown him about the place had told Allan that they would send the rest of his stuff back to his home. However, the more he thought about that the more he realized it would be a bad idea. If a package arrived at his apartment or his parentâ??s home they would know where he was. It would be a simple matter for them to send someone after him. They did have contacts just about everywhere on account of the business.

His Dad may not approve but he hadnâ??t outright forbidden it. Mom on the other handâ?¦ Allan groaned. To say sheâ??d create a fuss was an understatement. It would be better to simply toss his belongings and be done with it. He could always replace them later on. Decided he got directions to where the dumpsters for the mess hall would be.

Now that he was dressed in the brown and green fatigues he was pleased to notice that no one gave him more than a brief glance before going about their business. He slipped out the door leading to the alleyway behind the mess hall. Allan paused briefly before the open dumpster to check for anything he had missed. Then satisfied that he hadnâ??t he hefted it up into the air and tossed it over the side.

â??[b]Any reason why youâ??re throwing away a perfectly good bag?[/b]â? A voice behind him asked.

Allan turned around to see another recruit in the same basic fatigues as him, carrying several trash bags. He offered Allan a lopsided grin before heading for the same dumpster he had just tossed the duffel bag into.

â??[b]You do know that theyâ??ll send your stuff back home right?[/b]â? The stranger continued. â??[b]Theyâ??ll even pay for it if you canâ??t.[/b]â?

â??[b]Uhâ?¦ yeah. I know.[/b]â? Allan tried to think of a way to explain why he didn't want to but couldnâ??t. To his surprise the guy laughed when he didnâ??t elaborate.

â??[b]Let me guess, you donâ??t want your family or friends to know where you are.[/b]â? He tossed the trash bags over the side and turned back to face Allan, a knowing grin on his face over his look of surprise. â??[b]Youâ??re not the first person to do that.[/b]â? He explained.

â??[b]Oh.[/b]â? Allan just stood there, not sure what to say next. As if sensing his hesitation the stranger took the initiative, he stepped towards Allan.

â??[b]Anyway, Iâ??m Tyler.[/b]â? He reached over to shake Allanâ??s hand. â??[b]I got here a few weeks ago. At the moment Iâ??m with the south regiment. Though now they have me helping out in the mess hall, what with sending that group off to Ecruteak City and all.[/b]â?

Allan let go of his hand. â??[b]I'm Allan. I was assigned to the same regiment.[/b]â?

â??[b]Nice![/b]â? Tyler exclaimed as he motioned for Allan to follow along. â??[b]They assign you a room yet?[/b]â?

Allan nodded.

â??[b]Which one?[/b]â? Tyler asked. Allan told him.

â??[b]Ha! That makes us roommates then.[/b]â? He grinned for a second as he opened the door. â??[b]No need for the aide to know about your stuff. Weâ??ll just let him think I helped you get it taken care of.[/b]â?

â??[b]Is that okay?[/b]â?

Tyler waved it off, â??[b]Of course it is. Like I said, youâ??re not the only one to cut ties and join up.[/b]â? He stopped and gave him a mock serious look. â??[b]Unless youâ??re a murderer on the run...[/b]â?

Allan laughed. â??[b]No. I... I just donâ??t want my parents showing up in an attempt to fetch me.[/b]â? He sighed at the thought. â??[b]My Dad probably wouldnâ??t but Mom?[/b]â? He grimaced.

â??[b]No worries then.[/b]â? Tyler said with good humor. â??[b]Letâ??s go and get you introduced to the regiment leader. Heâ??s a bit gruff but donâ??t let that put you off, he means well and does a good job.[/b]â?

â??[b]Kind of like Claire?[/b]â? Allan ventured, remembering the intimidating woman.

Tyler laughed. â??[b]Exactly![/b]â? He looked about sheepishly. â??[b]Donâ??t let anyone know I said that though. Even if she[i] is[/i] quite the looker, she can rip you to shreds with a single look.[/b]â?

Allan shifted uncomfortably, remembering the glare he had gotten for speaking out of turn. â??[b]I believe it.[/b]â? He finally said, earning another chuckle out of Tyler.[/font][/color] Edited by SunfallE

• 1 month later...
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"][b]"That'll do, Piloswine."[/b]

A cheer went up from the trainers at the Gym when they saw the troops overheard begin to break ranks and take off to the south. The hit Pryce had been able to land on the contingent that had started attacking the Gym had apparently made the rest of the troops' will to fight evaporate. The beat of retreating wings was almost audible over the harsh winds coming from the North, but not over the yells and shouts of the people of Mahogany celebrating their apparent victory. Several of the trainers on the Gym's balcony ordered their partners to fire off more shots into the sky to give their attackers more reason to flee, but a sharp rap from Pryce's cane almost completely sobered the atmosphere.

[b]"Do you think we won here?"[/b] he asked, a cold fire flashing in his eyes. [b]"Look around!"[/b]

And when they did, the trainers saw that they had indeed started to celebrate early. The town was littered with rubble and sputtering fires being whipped by the winds from the air strike. Injured civilians and battlers alike stumbled around in the street looking for help. The people of Mahogany hadn't really won anything: they had survived.

[b]"All those folk down there need help and we're gonna give it to 'em,"[/b] Pryce said as he started to hobble back inside the building. [b]"Load up on bandages and whatever else we can use to start puttin' stuff back together."[/b] The old man looked back and saw that none of the people on the balcony had moved, being so captivated by what had happened to their beloved town. The old man frowned and rapped his cane on the floor again, eliciting some movement. [b]"Get a move on, or it'll get worse!"[/b]

The trainers managed to take themselves away from the spectacle, but Pryce noticed the numbness in the way they moved. It was a complete shock to them, he knew. They had never seen a real fight, and in all honesty, it had been more than a few decades than the last time Pryce himself had seen anything like what had happened in Mahogany Town that night. He sighed as glanced back at the decimated town and shook his head.

[b]"It'll get worse,"[/b] he muttered as he hobbled back inside.

[/color][/font][center][font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]*
[/color][/font][/center][font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]
Gloria had waved the others to retreat as she began to follow the path her Leader had taken into the town as he'd crashed. She came upon his mount, splayed out on the ground a little ways past a small shrine, its right wing bent into an unnatural position and the left half of its body coated in ice, the wing completely gone. She didn't bother looking for the missing appendage, knowing the bird probably wouldn't survive its injury once it defrosted. She gave it a pitiful look as it lay there huffing and croaking in pain, but she had a more pressing duty.

She found Faulkner some 30 feet away, apparently thrown from the Pidgeot's back in the crash, lying very still. Fearing the worst, she knelt beside him and took off her gloves, checking his vitals. She found some relief in finding that he was still alive, but just from her gingerly check of his body, she could tell that he was severely injured. She needed to get them out before they were found and captured. She dragged Faulkner's unconscious body over to her Fearow, managing to get him onto the bird with a bit of struggle. Climbing on herself, she attempted to guide the bird into a run to take flight, but found it wouldn't move.

[b]"What's wrong with you? We need to go!"[/b]

Still, the bird did not move. Already on edge from the situation, Gloria gave the Fearow a sharp kick in the side from exasperation, willing it to go. The creature gave a squawk and looked back at its trainer sharply.

[b]"We need. To go."[/b]

The Fearow continued to look at Gloria hard for a moment, then suddenly broke into an agile run and took off into the winds. It only gave one glance back at the one-winged Pidgeot it had been studying so closely and wondered to itself if it might soon end up the same way.
[/color][/font]

• 2 months later...
[align=justify][font="Calibri"]They walked towards the center of the encampment. The Azalea thug had slashed the webbing on Mortyâ??s legs, but whatever effect from which Morty had shaken his mind free had not yet relinquished his limbs, and so all of the gym leaderâ??s focus was set on remaining upright and balanced, despite many a goad and jostle from behind. He would not stumble. The goon was already smug with what little power he possessed over the gym leader; Morty would not give him the satisfaction of possessing more than that.[/font]

[font="Calibri"]There was a gathering of Azalea forces around an open area up ahead. Apparently that was his destination, for the man behind him began to herd him in that direction. A sickening sense of foreboding began gnawing at his gut; the scene was looking less and less like a civil meeting with his captors and more and more like a public spectacle with every passing step. Morty sent a silent, troubled prayer to Ho-Oh.[/font]

[font="Calibri"]Upon reaching the center, Morty found that the soldiers had left a wide space in their midst. Near one side of the ring, a thick pole had been planted in the earth and flanked by spinarak. Morty was led to the pole and webbed secure, so that he faced the circleâ??s center. The wood beam forced him to stand erect, but it stopped just between his shoulder blades, making it difficult for his neck to feel at ease.[/font]

[font="Calibri"]Bugsy stood opposite him, his scyther and a heracross beside him. The young Azalea leader viewed his captive in silence, and his expression troubled Morty deeply. He always remembered Bugsy as one of the more intense boys heâ??d met, but there was something else nowâ??a hard edge to his gaze that Morty didnâ??t recall. And something else, something behind the hardness, but Morty couldnâ??t quite place it. [/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??Iâ??ve missed you,â?[/b] the young man said suddenly.[/font]

[font="Calibri"]Morty frowned. [b]â??So I see.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"]Silence fell again, and the two leaders contemplated one another for a long, hushed moment.[/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??I didnâ??t want this,â?[/b] Bugsy began again. He stepped forward, lowering his eyes, his words coming with a thoughtful deliberance. [b]â??Iâ??ve been thinking about it since we left home, and I can tell you honestly that this is one of the worst decisions Iâ??ve ever had to make. Iâ??ve hated every day I spent coming here. You were my friend, Morty. I liked you. I looked up to you, I wanted to be like you. I didnâ??t want to ruin you.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"]The Ecruteak leader said nothing. Bugsy obviously had something he wanted to say, and Morty was worried about what it might beâ??and more worried still that he knew what it was.[/font]

[font="Calibri"]Bugsy paused as if to think.[/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??But we had to,â?[/b] he continued. There was a subtle change in his tone that Morty wished he hadnâ??t heard.[b] â??We had to bring you down because you wouldnâ??t listen to reason.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??I wonâ??t listen to insanity,â?[/b] corrected Morty coldly.[/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??You would call progress â??insanityâ??.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??Progress?!â?[/b] Morty scoffed. [b]â??You want to turn the country into a military state!â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??Itâ??s for the greater good, Morty.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??What greater good? Itâ??s completely against our way of life! We donâ??t even [i]have[/i] a military!â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"]Bugsy sighed. [b]â??Youâ??re just proving my point. You refuse to see the good in what we are trying to accomplish. Instead you want to paint us as villains. All we want is to provide for our people; we only need the authority to be able to do it. Why is that as evil as you claim it is?â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??Thatâ??s not the truth,â?[/b] Morty said flatly. [b]â??And you know it. And I wish I knew who suckered you into thisâ??â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]â??No one [i]suckered[/i] me into anything, Morty. I believe in what we are doing, and I believe it is the right thing to do.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"][b] â??And youâ??re ready to massacre an entire region to prove how right you are.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"] [b]â??Because I [i]have to![/i]â?[/b] cried Bugsy, impassioned. [b]â??Because [i]you wonâ??t listen![/i]â?[/b] The volume of his own words seemed to startle him, and he drew back into his former calm demeanor.[/font]

[font="Calibri"] [b]â??We all wanted to do this peacefully,â?[/b] he said.[b] â??But we canâ??t achieve our goal riddled with disunity. We have to be of one mind and purpose.â?[/b] He sighed again.[b] â??I was going to ask you to change your mind; I thought maybe since we knew each other I might have a better chance of it. But I donâ??t think I need to ask anymore. So thereâ??s only one choice left I can make.â?[/b][/font]

[font="Calibri"] He turned away and began to walk out of the circle. As he passed the two insects, he patted the scyther on the shoulder.[/font]

[font="Calibri"] [b]â??Goodbye, Morty,â?[/b] he said, and left.[/font]

[font="Calibri"] The heracross lowered itself and began to scree. All around the Azelea camp other insects added their voices to it, drowning the air with their stifling din. The noise climbed in intensity, with a swift crouch the scyther charged the captive, landing nimbly just behind him.[/font]

[font="Calibri"] The head of Ecruteakâ??s leader struck the ground with a thunk.[/font][/align] Edited by Allamorph

• 2 weeks later...
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Lyle still hadn't gotten past the shock, even though he had left the scene of the execution far to the west by now. Their leader, the man who had started everything, was dead. He'd watched from above as Morty had been paraded in front of the troops and mercilessly killed. [/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]A quick scout for stragglers had let him witness the death of hope.[/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Maybe it was his own hope he was thinking of at that moment, he thought as the high, cold winds whipped around him and his dragon. He had joined with Morty because he believed what the League was implementing was wrong. He had believed that the Ecrutian man would have been the one that would set things back to the way they were. But with that one fatal stroke, the League had confirmed that things would never go back to the way they had been. The past was the past. Anyone who tried to hold on to that was a fool and would be dealt with swiftly.[/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]As those thoughts ran through the young man's mind, he wondered why he was heading west toward Blackthorn. The leader of the resistance was dead. What point was there to try to keep going? He should just turn his Dragonair toward some safe placeâ??maybe to the Orange Archipelago or the Sevii Islandsâ??and figure a route to a safe place. There were probably a lot of people who would do exactly that once the word was out, and no one could blame them. What had just happened in Ecruteak was a clear, violent message. So why wasn't he listening to it?[/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Because part of him still wanted things to go back to how they were, he rationalized. Part of him wanted it so badly that he continued on to tell Claire what he'd seen, and that part wanted her to fully envelope Morty's ideals and finish what he couldn't. That's why he was flying back to the mountain city. That's why he wouldn't run away.[/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Of course, there was a quiet part of him that wanted revenge for the man he had looked to for guidance. And there was still another quieter part of him that wondered if running away would do anything at all.[/color][/font]

[right][b][font="Tahoma"][size="1"][color="#000080"]Chapter 1 End[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[/right]

[font="Tahoma"]Chapter 2 begin

It had been a long trek through Mt. Mortar, and the refugees from Ecruteak were worn down, for lack of a better word. They had been on edge since the last ambush from the Azalea forces, constantly in fear that they would suffer the same grisly fate as those who fell victim to the cruelty of the League. Supplies were dangerously low. Meals had to be cut back to one per day, and the priority went towards the women and children. Water was almost gone and the medical supplies were getting that way as well. To be attacked right now would spell the death of the party. But Mahogany town was only a few hours away, and the group looked forward to a warm place to stay and a good meal.

"Why did they attack us?" One refugee finally spoke. There had been a long silence during the trip. Most of the refugees were still in shock from the attack that they hardly had time to think for themselves.

"I mean, there must have been a reason. No one just attacks just because. Maybe we are wrong and should have given in to the League. I mean, we wouldn't be like this if we had just listened." he continued.

"ARE YOU KIDDING?!" Another one snarled. "They attacked us because we didn't want to be enslaved to their 'ideal society'. We didn't do anything wrong by wanting to be free. What they're doing is wrong. Didn't you see what they're willing to do in order to get their way? They killed innocent people! They.....killed my brother."

The voice belonged to a little girl, no older than 12 years old. She had lived in the Kimono House and was studying to be a Kabuki dancer. She collapsed in her teal Kimono and began to cry, the tears smudging the makeup on her face. Two adults immediately swept her up and began to comfort her as she sobbed into their shoulders.

Mahogany Town couldn't be more of a welcome sight for the group. But as they neared what was supposed to be route 42, they were met by a chilling wind and a blanket of snow. While this was usually characteristic of Mahogany Town, it was about 2 months too early for this kind of wintery weather to be happening. As the party neared the opening to Mahogany Town, they were met with the sight of Ursaring guarding the edge of the town. They stood on their haunches and growled at the party as they approached the makeshift guard station that looked to be just recently erected.

Terry emerged from the group to speak with the soldiers. He had assumed leadership over the group, a decision that had been made without question after his headlong charge into the ambush party. His eyes had the icy stare that could freeze a Pokemon on first glance and his usually indifferent demeanor had since changed to give off a sense of hostility.

"Not one step further!" one of the men from the group shouted from the tower. "Who are you?"

"We're refugees from Ecruteak." Terry said, his voice devoid of emotion. "We were just attacked by Azalea and our city was overrun. We are just trying to find somewhere to stay and rest."

"Then you'll have to look somwhere else. Price's orders. We're not to allow anyone into the city."

"But we're running low on food and medical supplies. At least let us in for that." Terry said, his voice suddenly rising in ire.

"Sorry. We were just assaulted by the League ourselves and we can't afford to allow anyone in."

"Sir! Surely we can let them in! The Pokemon Center is already treating the wounded from the attack. We have more than enough supplies to at least allow them to go on their way." A voice clamored from behind the soldiers. The voice belonged to a pink haired woman who stood in her long winter coat and snow pants. A Chansey stood next to her, wrapped in a scarf and holding out a tray of warm drinks for the sentries. The woman was Nurse Joy, one of many physicians who worked all over Johto. While not the biggest proponent of the League or the resistance, Joy was steadfast in her mission to heal the sick and injured.

"The Gate guard sighed and motioned for the gate to be opened. The caravan entered the confines of Mahogany Town. Once known to be a haven for Ninja, the Town looked more like a Whirlwind had blown through the city. Windows were boarded up where glass had shattered and shingles had been blown off of rooftops. Debris lay scattered all over the ground, tossed about in every direction from the recent raid.

"So, where do you suggest we go from here?" Terry asked one of the guards back at the gate.

"Only two places, I reckon. You can head up to the Lake of Rage and fight with your backs to the Water or you can try risking going though the Ice Cave and get to Blackthorn. Either way, your group has it rough. I don't think anyone can really stand up to the League at this point. We're barely holding on here as it is."

Terry sighed and collected his things and went to rejoin the caravan. How can Pryce just turn a blind eye to what the League's done? Staying out of the conflict already got his town assaulted. So if anything, the only way to survive was to resist, not to simply defend. [/font] Edited by AvalonAngel

• 1 month later...
[font="Tahoma"][size="1"][color="#000080"][b]"Boy, if this is some kind of joke, I'll make sure to have your carcass dragged out and used as a speed bump on a Golem's training course."[/b]

If the messenger recognized the validity of the threat from the Pewter Gym leader, he didn't show it. Instead, he lowered his gaze to idly look at the floor and intoned the news again.

[b]"Commander Morty died on the field, sir. It's been confirmed."[/b]

[b]"You can't be serious!"[/b] Both of the men turned slightly at the outburst, directing their gazes toward a trembling Misty. The young woman was ordinarily pretty, with her fiery red hair offsetting her blue eyes, but her fair features were marred by a mask of surprise, disbelief and naked fear. She violently pushed her chair back, sending it clattering, and began to pace, never taking her own wide-eyed gaze from the messenger.[b] "You're wrong. Mistaken. He's not dead. He [i]can't [/i]be."[/b]

[b]"Simmer, Misty. Getting riled won't help anything." [/b]Even as the words left his mouth, they sounded hollow to Flint. Morty was dead? Nothing had even really been done yet and the man who had started it all was gone in a pre-emptive strike. What did that say about the league? What did it say about [i]them[/i]? Hell, what did it say about the whole damn thing?

[b]"Sir."[/b] Flint blinked and looked at the young man, who was staring at him and had obviously been trying to catch his attention. He nodded that he was back and the messenger said again there were survivors and they were en route to Mahogany at last check.

[b]"Well, they should be able to make it there, at least. Feh. Small blessings, I guess."

"Commander Claire has requested a strategy meeting."

"She'd be a damn idiot if she didn't. ...though I admit that a request like that is a surprise coming from her, as hot-headed as she is."

"Are you [i]sure [/i]it's been confirmed?"
[/b]
Flint looked at the younger woman, who had finally stopped pacing in lieu of fervently worrying her bottom lip. She tapped a hand absently on her thigh as she looked at the messenger expectantly.
[b]
"Yes, it's been confirmed. By my own eyes, Commander."[/b]

Flint sighed and went to give the man--no, a boy, really--a hearty pat on the shoulder and an encouraging nod.

[b]"Go on and tell her that we'll be there in a day's time. We have to make preparations here. Dismissed."[/b]

The young man gave a curt nod and removed himself from the room, though he cast a parting glance Misty's way. Flint stood silently by with his arms folded until he heard the footsteps fade and sent the woman a sharp look of his own.

[b]"Get a hold of yourself!"[/b] The sharp command broke the woman out of rapid thought and she looked up at him in confusion. Flint gave a short sigh and rubbed a temple.[b] "Did you [i]not [/i]see the way that kid looked at you? You're standing there looking like a spooked stantler."[/b]

Misty stood dumbstruck, seemingly oblivious to anything Flint was saying to her, but her body quickly stiffened in anger after a moment, her blue eyes flashing.

[b]"Do you realize what he just said?! It's [i]over[/i], Flint. They just crushed everything before it even started!"[/b]

Flint slammed a fist down on the table, making a mug close at hand jump from the motion. [b]"They haven't crushed a damn thing! That's the last thing I want to hear from you right now!"[/b]

The violent outburst rocked Misty back on her heels for a heartbeat, but her brow furrowed and she clenched her fists at her side.

[b]"They're saying Morty is [i]dead[/i], Flint. And Ecruteak is go--"

"I heard the report just as well as you did. Morty's gone. Ecruteak is gone. But we all knew the League had a chance of taking any one of us out when we started. We can't let this stop us now."

"They just killed him!"

"And you think just giving up is an appropriate response to that?"

"He was our leader!"

"And now we have to lead. That's just the way it is."[/b]

Misty stared at the man head, then slowly started to shake her head, a mixture of disgust and scorn on her face. [b]"You... You don't even ca--"
[/b]
[b]"Don't you [i]dare [/i]finish that sentence,"[/b] Flint said darkly, his own eyes glittering with anger. [b]"There're a lot of things I can bring myself to do, but hitting a woman isn't one of them, and I don't want to change that now."[/b] Misty stood there tight-lipped and red, but held her tongue. The older man closed his eyes to steady himself and continued.

[b]"Of course I'm sad he's gone. He was a good man and a good friend. But we started something that we're going to see through. We've got two countries counting on us. And stopping now would only mean he gave up his life for no reason. I'm not going to do that to his memory. So you can get a grip on yourself and keep going, or you can stand by and bury your head in the sand. Those are your choices. I've already made mine."[/b] As he made his way toward the door, Misty followed his progress with her eyes.

[b]"Where are you going?"

"To put someone in charge while I'm gone. I told the kid we'd both be there, but apparently that was a little premature. Though I'm hoping you don't make a liar out of me."[/b]

The sound of the door closing behind him seemed to echo a little louder in Misty's ears.

[/color][/size][/font][center][font="Tahoma"][size="1"][color="#000080"][b]*[/b]

[/color][/size][/font][left][font="Tahoma"][size="1"][color="#000080"]Although he was straight-backed as he stood at attention, Bugsy seemed completely at ease as he stood in the antechamber of the Elite. Four of the six seats were filled at the high podium and their eyes looked down at the young commander, their visages varying from scrutiny to vague interest. The man at the center, age apparent in his salt-and-pepper hair and slightly rugose features, steepled his hands and bowed his head slightly as if pondering a response to some unasked question.

[b]"Why did you strike against Ecruteak."

"It harbored a known enemy of the League, High Commander Koga. I eliminated the threat."

"You acted without orders."

"He was gathering allies."

"It was not your decision to make!"[/b]

The words echoed off the walls of the chamber and made the boy flinch. A soft chuckle a moment later managed to cut the sudden tensity in the air and drew many looks to the source.
[b]
"Come now, Koga. The boy showed initiative and acted in the best interest of the League. He can't be completely blamed for that, now, can he?" [/b]

The elder merely turned his head slightly toward the younger man, fixed him with an even gaze, and said[b] "High Commander Will. I do not believe you understand the gravity of the situation."
[/b]
Will heaved an exaggerated sigh and offered a half-apologetic shrug as he rested his head on a hand and looked to Bugsy. [b]"I tried, little one."[/b]
[b]
"If it's true that Ecruteak was gathering allies, then he was right to kill the little worm,"[/b] said Karen, as she idly flicked a wayward strand of hair back over her shoulder. [b]"Better to get rid of the pests quickly than to let them breed, I say."[/b]
[b]
"You are short-sighted and foolish, girl."[/b] A scowl darkened the beauty's features as she looked at Agatha, the want to slap the wizened old crone apparent, but she merely pressed her lips together tightly and swallowed her venom for the time being. The oldest member of the Elite continued,[b] "The boy has struck an enemy, true, but one that may have friends in far places."[/b]

[b]"Precisely,"[/b] said Koga.[b] "Without knowledge of those enemies--who they are, the numbers behind them, what resources are at their disposal--he may have done no more than stir the beedrill's nest."

"...permission to speak, sir." [/b]

Koga looked down at the boy with a gaze that could pierce an aron's hide, but when the boy didn't flinch a second time, he curtly waved a hand for him to go ahead.

[b]"I have reliable information stating Blackthorn City has begun securing all areas surrounding their region. There have also been reports of a skirmish in Mahogany that was not perpetrated by myself."

"Oh, another gung-ho. You should get together and form a brigade."

"Enough, High Commander Will,"[/b] Koga said shortly. [b]"Commander Bugsy, while this information may prove useful, it does not excuse your actions. You will wait for a squadron from the Plateau to take command from you at Ecruteak, then you and your men will return to Azalea to await due punishment."

"...understood, sir."

"Dismissed."

"Sir."
[/b]
Once the boy had silently left the chamber, Will gave another sigh and leaned his chair back on two legs, crossing his legs at the ankle atop the podium desk.

[b]"It's almost as if you wanted to scare the poor boy to death, Koga. He's young, yes, but he did a good job."

"He acted on his own. And while we gained a territory, it's now an idle one."

"Idle or ideal?"[/b] Will asked, wagging a finger. [b]"Thanks to that little bit of destruction, a good majority of the Johto mainland is now completely under our influence. Despite your griping, my stance on the matter is unchanged."

"As is your casual demeanor, which has not gone unnoticed."[/b]

Will gave a disarming smile, but it fell to a serious hold when he saw it did nothing to change Koga's countenance. [b]"Just how much power we hold may have changed, dear [i]High Commander[/i], but our personalities have not. I don't intend to let a switch in government govern who I am."[/b]
[b]
"Enough petty squabbling!"[/b] rasped Agatha, thumping her cane on the edge of the desk. [b]"Just do as you're told, rake, and things will progress smoothly enough. Putting on airs is not nearly as important as producing results."[/b]

Both men eyed the other for a quiet moment before allowing themselves to shift into relaxed positions. Karen gave a none-too-subtle snort.

[b]"So what now?"[/b] she asked as she examined her nails. [b]"We got rid of one of the pests. What of the other? Or others, maybe."

"That is a matter that will require more observation,"[/b] said Koga, to Karen's obvious displeasure. [b]"If it's true that Blackthorn was allied with Ecruteak and others, we may have to sit back and see just what we're dealing with."

"You honestly intend to let them regroup? Do you really think that wise?"

"There is strategy in kicking the beedrill's nest."

"You see just how many are defending the hive, yes?"[/b] Will questioned idly.

Koga nodded and said [b]"I suppose there was some value in Bugsy's outburst."

[/b][i][b]"Exactly what I was saying,"[/b] [/i]the young man thought to himself.

[b]"Still, with the strike, the citizens will start to wonder what's going on. Will, visit the Leaders in Kanto and take stock of the cities. Karen, you will see to Johto. Pass word that keeping peace and order is top priority as the transition continues."[/b]

[b]"And what of the plans for the good lieutenant-turned-general?"[/b] asked Will.

[b]"Hm, there is that."[/b] The old poison master pondered silently for a moment, then nodded.[b] "Tell him to go ahead."[/b]

[b]"As you wish,"[/b] the flamboyant man responded, nimbly turning the chair about to get on his feet. Karen rolled her eyes as she did the same, following after at a measured saunter. The two elder members of the Elite glanced after the pair, the same thought on their mind.

Those two will be trouble.
[/color][/size][/font][/left][/center]

• 3 weeks later...
[color="#4169E1"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Allan groaned at the sound of the alarm in the shared barracks room going off. More than anything he wanted to just curl over and go back to sleep. It had only been a few days since he got there but he was already tired and sore from the constant drills, testing and training. Upon reflection it made sense that they were working everyone so hard. They were disagreeing with the League after all and it would be foolish to do so unprepared. Allan just wasnâ??t used to putting in such long busy days.

â??[b]Come on lazy, get up already.[/b]â? Tylerâ??s cheerful voice rang out.

Sighing inwardly, Allan crawled out of the lower bunk bed and started getting dressed.

â??[b]How the hell can you be so awake at this ungodly hour?[/b]â? He asked as he fetched the rest of the stuff he would need for the day and tucked things away in various pockets.

Tyler laughed. â??[b]I used to have to get up even earlier than this for my job before I signed up.[/b]â? He grinned as Allan tried to rub the sleep out of his eyes. â??[b]Iâ??m not a soft city boy like you are.[/b]â? He quipped as he headed out the door.

â??[b]I never said I was from the city.[/b]â? Allan frowned as he followed.

â??[b]You didnâ??t have to.[/b]â? Tyler shrugged. â??[b]Itâ??s kind of obvious.[/b]â?

â??[b]What do you mean â??kind of obviousâ???[/b]â? Allan hurried to catch up.

Tyler glanced at him briefly before answering. â??[b]Well you may know the basics of battling with pokemon well enough but you get tired too quickly. Youâ??ve gotten blisters on your hands and feet from the drills and the clothing you kept isnâ??t cheap stuff.[/b]â? He grinned again. â??[b]Put that all together and it equals â??city boyâ??.[/b]â?

He stopped and turned back to look at Allan who had come to a startled halt. â??[b]Whatâ??s the matter? No one cares about that here. I just think itâ??s funny.[/b]â?

Allan folded his arms across his chest. â??[b]Iâ??m not laughing.[/b]â?

â??[b]No no no. Thatâ??s not what I mean.[/b]â? Tyler exclaimed. â??[b]Iâ??m not laughing at you. Itâ??s just that Iâ??m surprised you joined Claireâ??s group, thatâ??s all.[/b]â?

â??[b]Why would that be surprising?[/b]â? Allan relaxed a bit and started for the mess hall again.

â??[b]Well itâ??s just that Claire is a slave driver.[/b]â? He explained. â??[b]So I figured someone who wasnâ??t used to this kind of life would have picked someone else to join up with.[/b]â?

â??[b]So you are laughing at me.[/b]â?

Tyler looked apologetic. â??[b]Ehhhâ?¦ maybe a little.[/b]â?

Allan shook his head and sighed. â??[b]Well youâ??re right. I am from the city and I didnâ??t know what Claire was like. I just knew I had to do something instead of sitting at home and doing nothing.[/b]â?

â??[b]Well weâ??d better get moving or weâ??ll be late. Trust me on this; you do not want to be late, ever.[/b]â?

Allan glanced at Tyler, curious as to what he meant but the other recruit was already heading for the line to get some breakfast.[/font][/color]