OtakuBoards

What should I get?

Vigilance

Heres the situation for me, first I don't have any internet at home because my mom is too lazy to get internet at home and I only go to another place to use the internet, i.e. Library, friends house, cousin's house, etc. Most of the time I've been using the computer at the public Library and its like 4-5 miles from my house. Now I was thinking that I get those wireless USB thing so that I can get internet at home without paying for it. I was wondering which wireless USB thing should I get? Heres the two USB thing that I'm getting them at Target, either the Wireless G or the Wireless N. Which of these two have the longer signal range? Or if u have a recommendation on other wireless stuff, tell me what they are and how far the signal range is.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]If you're talking about trying to sponge off of someone else's internet like a cable scrambler, then I would highly suggest against doing this. But if you just want a wireless signal reciever or wireless card to pick up unsecured connections (which I would still suggest against) then that's fine.

But I would still suggest that you pay for a very basic internet package. Most of them are very affordable, even on a tight budget. Also, there's tons of places that I know of that have free wi-fi these days.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Ok, I will keep that in mind, but I'm thinking of getting those wireless USB connection the one that sells in target. One of them is the Wireless G and the other is the Wireless N, I know these ones are good but which of these have the better signal range, like for example I'm in the parking lot at Big Lots and my house is like 5 miles away and I wanted to check my email on my laptop from home but i dont have the signal to reach me, which of the two you think would have that much signal range? Also about the wireless network card, how far is the signal range on it, how much would it cost, and where do you get those?

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]Just a heads up, please don't backseat moderate. I'll make sure the thread stays on track. I edited your post to reflect that ;)

Anyways, you mention these wirless things without even providing a link or something like that. But these wireless USB adapters are built for desktop computers, which are inheriently built WITHOUT wirless in them. Most laptops these days have wireless cards built in them that allows you to connect to the internet through wireless access points that are in range. Your laptop should have one built in it already. Buying a USB wireless adapter isn't going to increase your range at all.

I don't know what kind of laptop you have, but I'm assuming that since you want to increase range that your laptop has wireless built into it.You can buy wireless cards for your laptop if you want something more powerful, but you won't get reliable signal from like five miles away.As far as prices and signal strength (and even compatibility) that's something that Google can answer.

So your best bet would probably be just to find a wi-fi hotspot. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

if you have a desktop i would recommend a wireless PCI card. you might be able to find one used pretty cheap too. it shouldn't be too hard to install and it would probably last longer than a usb receiver.

i've had a couple of those usb receivers break on me. they also seem to disconnect a lot easier, which can be a problem if you're using it for games.