OtakuBoards

Prejudice in Final Fantasy.....

Charles

Guest BulmaVegeta1
But why does it even matter if Barret uses those words all the time. I'm pretty sure that the makers weren't trying to be prejudice, they proably just wanted to make him seem like a tough guy. I have the game and I don't see the problem of them making fun of African Americans. I just hate it when people make threads talking about racial discrimanation. And plus, I don't think that Wakka is making fun of African Americans either, Zero-Sama. I'm pretty sure the creaters wanted him to sound like an islander, not what you meant. And I am not trying to start anything here, it's just my opinoin.

[I]But why does it even matter if Barret uses those words all the time. I'm pretty sure that the makers weren't trying to be prejudice, they proably just wanted to make him seem like a tough guy.[/I]

[B] You ask, "Why does it matter?" Well, Cloud comes off as a tough guy to me and he doesn't resort to constant swear words. Believe it or not, one does not have to cuss to appear "tough." Ever hear of the expression, "Actions speak louder than words?" Auron in Final Fantasy X should be considered a tough guy, and he never swore once. That's just one more example, I'm sure that anyone on these boards could give you a nearly infinite number of examples if they wished to do so. The fact of the matter is, Barret uses an excessive amount of swearing. When someone does this, they are coming across as very unsophisticated. Furthermore, African Americans are stereotyped as swearing a lot. Anyone ever see "Me, Myself and Irene?" That movie satires my point. In conclusion, it matters because Barret is the only one that does it and often.[/B]

[I]I have the game and I don't see the problem of them making fun of African Americans. I just hate it when people make threads talking about racial discrimanation.[/I]

[B]Please don't ever do that again. Now, you're stereotyping threads on racial discrimination. Discrimination or denying people resources based on gender, sexual preference or ethnicity is a very real problem in society. If you can't handle intelligent discussion on the matter for reasons of sensitivity or immaturity, don't bother taking part in them. However, if we avoid these issues, we'll never come to terms with them. You can't just make believe that the problem insn't there and hope for it to go away. Anyway, Final Fantasy VII and the portrayal of the Barret character have been very popular discussions. I'm not the originator of this debate.[/B]

[I]And plus, I don't think that Wakka is making fun of African Americans either, Zero-Sama. I'm pretty sure the creaters wanted him to sound like an islander, not what you meant. And I am not trying to start anything here, it's just my opinoin.[/I]

[B]I respect your opinion, but all islanders don't say "Ya?" after every sentence either.....[/B]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]

[B]I respect your opinion, but all islanders don't say "Ya?" after every sentence either..... [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=indigo]They sure do say it, but not after every sentence like wakka. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Just to clear a little something up for those asking questions, I personally don't think that African Americans are stereotyped; [i]just under represented in the rpg genre. [/i] I was just posing a question based on complaints that I've read, lol, I don't think that there's anythng wrong with Barret. [/B][/QUOTE]

So gaming companies are now under the obligation to make at least one of their hero's black to make sure African Americans dont feel left out? I am not a racist and I hate people who are, but personally I think that is stupid. I am thinking of going into the gaming industry myself and I dont feel that I should have to include a balck hero in my game just please the african american crowd. When someone makes a game they write a story first. They dream up the story in their head and its want they want it to be about. they have the right to make their story however they want it to be. When I start making games I dont want my imagination to be regulated just cause someone may feel left out. I have nothing wrong with a black character, I might even have one in a story of mine. but it should be there cause thats what the writer had in mind not just because a certain minority is under represented. I dont mean what I have said in an offending way. I am just stating my opinion on the subject.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Amphion [/i]
[B]

So gaming companies are now under the obligation to make at least one of their hero's black to make sure African Americans dont feel left out? I am not a racist and I hate people who are, but personally I think that is stupid. I am thinking of going into the gaming industry myself and I dont feel that I should have to include a balck hero in my game just please the african american crowd. When someone makes a game they write a story first. They dream up the story in their head and its want they want it to be about. they have the right to make their story however they want it to be. When I start making games I dont want my imagination to be regulated just cause someone may feel left out. I have nothing wrong with a black character, I might even have one in a story of mine. but it should be there cause thats what the writer had in mind not just because a certain minority is under represented. I dont mean what I have said in an offending way. I am just stating my opinion on the subject. [/B][/QUOTE]

Your argument comes off pretty intelligently to me and shouldn't offend anyone. However, in my opinion if you look on a broader scope, black people are almost completely ignored in the genre. We're not talking about just one game. Furhermore, why can't a black person fit into the story. I'm sure that they can fill in any heroic roles that a white person has.

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]while i agree that black people (so sue me if im not politcly correct i think african american is stupid... they didnt live in africa, well most of the time, you dont hear me calling myself european american or asian american do ya? dont think so im just american) do get the **** roles in 'thought involved games' like RPGs and stratagies. While barret could ezily have been turned white and it wouldnt have changed much of anything i dont think any of the other chars could have been black... the love thing amoung cloud/tifa/aeris would have been too hard to explain if they werent all the same race (thou i have dated black girls and dont see a difference it isnt totally accepted yet)... and a black guy with spiky blonde hair? i dont know that would be weird.
now lets look at starcraft broodwar: duran was a traitor in every sence of the word... the only person he didnt betray was himself... heck he betrayed emporor mesng, the UED, and the Queen of Blades Sarah Karagian... oh yes... duran was black while the rest were white... and his being black made it ezier to expect him to betray people who were different than him... that and well... he wasnt human to begin with lol but yea
and while i hate to say it... most people who buy RPGs and stratagy games are white or asian... mainly white thou... so i understand why they appeal to the people who play them... while most sports games are more equal... but i mean i work at target and i see what most people will buy (over the age of 12, kids all get the same stuff... cartoon games ;)) and well... it is much harder to sell a black person FF 9 or 10 or DW 7 than it is a white person...
i hate to say it but the majority of 'better' schools are in the white section of town than in the black part of town... meaning more whites have a higher level of reading which is esential to these types of games... and it seems that white people have a higher patinces level... while im not trying to racist i know it sounds that way but if you stop and think about it... most of what i have said is mainly based on facts. but please dont think im racist or i might have a problem at my wedding... my girll is black... and i still love her to death it is what is on the inside not the outsid that counts

btw... i think that most blacks and hispanics dont get the education they deserve... they have the full potential to be just as good as anyone... but they can only do what their society allows them to do... and if there parents arent too 'smart' they cant teach their child who in turn cant teach theres... which is y i think blacks are better at 'pysical sports' and whites seem to dominate in thinking... which dates back to slavery in this country... the blacks werent taught much so they could teach their kids... while whites went to school and all that... i mean it isnt fair but that is how it goes... or at least what i think...
anyway... yea just wanted to say that
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]