Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
If this was discussed before I apologize for making another thread on it. In actuality, I don't know how it [I]couldn't[/I] have been discussed, as it is a very apparent issue. Anyway, I just figured that if discussed maturely, that this topic could prove quite interesting.

As many of you know, upon the release of Final Fantasy VII, many people complained that Barret's speech stereotyped African Americans. By constantly using a certain four letter swear word, many wondered if Barret portrayed Square's view on African American speech patterns and behaviors.

Furthermore, to be honest, I don't remember seeing any African American heroes in previous or following installments of the series. Maybe Final Fantasy XI will change this problem...

Anyway, in your opinion, does the Final Fantasy series, or RPG genre for that matter, discriminate against African Americans?
Posted
I have had this discussion before at a different forum, some people agreed that barret's speech stereotyped african american's though I, however, think this is not the case....

square obviously looked at mr t for inspiration on barret, not only do they look similar, but barret talks the same way too, saying foo' quite a number of times as well....

and there were african americans apart from barret in other ff games, though 8 is the only one I can remember, kiros being a hero, and rajin being a villain....

come to think of it, I think that rajin is more of a descriminating character to african americans than barret is, just think of his speech pattern....

"hey squall man, were goin to look for seifer, ya know!"

there, I (kind of) rest my case....
Posted
Ah yes, Rajin had to be one of the more annoying characters in the Final Fantasy series.

Come to think of it, there was an African American hero in the Final Fantasy movie as well, but I(not being a big fan of the film) forget his name at the moment....
Guest Voodookanaka
Posted
no i disagree, the character spoke like that end of story, u might as well say that zell descriminated against blonde ppl for speaking like some californian, the whole image of predudice is still around because ppl look for it. (Best-soc)
Posted
[COLOR=red]If it was a white person playing as barret, would he be considdered stereotypeing whites?[/COLOR]
Posted
[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]i believe it was Ryan (not spelled like that thou) *goes and gets his DVD*[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
Guest Steiner
Posted
just think what you would talk like if u where a terrorist living in the slums with a evil corporation hunting you down?
Posted
Just to clear a little something up for those asking questions, I personally don't think that African Americans are stereotyped; just under represented in the rpg genre. I was just posing a question based on complaints that I've read, lol, I don't think that there's anythng wrong with Barret.
Posted
[color=purple] I don't find anything racist about Barret... But I do hate Raijin.

It's just a character... Heck, I could call Square biased against nerds for making the main character almost perfect.

Or I could complain about Quistis being smart and bossy, in that they think smart people have to be bossy.

Or for Quina being round and eating a lot. Okay, bad example...[/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Steiner [/i]
[B]just think what you would talk like if u where a terrorist living in the slums with a evil corporation hunting you down? [/B][/QUOTE]

interesting, Tifa doesn't talk like that, and she's just as much of a terrorist as barret is :p
Posted
I know of another game with an African American sterotype! Tomb Raider! But theres so many, I don't remember which one! He had like dreds...What else...Oh yeah, he talked like James Earl Jones ore someone...
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]come to think of it, I think that rajin is more of a descriminating character to african americans than barret is, just think of his speech pattern....

"hey squall man, were goin to look for seifer, ya know!"

there, I (kind of) rest my case.... [/B][/QUOTE]

me and my friend said ya know at the end of every sentence once as an inside joke and to piss our other friend who knew nothing of final fantasy.

but yeah it is a bit descriminating.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by King Penn [/i]
[B]

interesting, Tifa doesn't talk like that, and she's just as much of a terrorist as barret is :p [/B][/QUOTE]

That is actually a rather good point. All of the other members of Avalanche, such as Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse are also terrorists but fail to resort to Barret's language. I don't think the man's situation has anything to do with his speaking pattern...
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]

That is actually a rather good point. All of the other members of Avalanche, such as Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse are also terrorists but fail to resort to Barret's language. I don't think the man's situation has anything to do with his speaking pattern... [/B][/QUOTE]

I think the main thing square did when they made barret is his image, they gave him a hardman image, and so they game him a rough, slangy kind of speaking pattern, which is cool I suppose, because we can't exactly picture someone looking like that talking all posh and that, its all about the image really, and image itself, can be a very powerful enemy, especially at school, college, whatever, you can act like a clown at school, but whenever you try to be serious, or try to do a presentation in front of the class, they won't take you seriously, image, hah, very powerful enemy
Posted
[SIZE=1]It's not prejudice agaist African-Americans when they created Raijin... he's just annoying ;)

But I can see everyone's point, Biggs, Wedge, Jessie and Tifa all speak normally but Barret is based steryo-typically on African-Americans... which is prejudice... so

...

yeah :p[/SIZE]
Guest Steiner
Posted
yeh but barret has a daughter to look after the others dont have to look after anyone but them selves

That must be a strain on his life.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zero-Sama [/i]
[B]I think Wakka is a stereotype of black people. [/B][/QUOTE]


:laugh: No way! If anything he's a stereotype of islanders. I don't think there's anything wrong with him except for the fact that he says "Ya?" a lot.
Posted
there so much prejuduce againts Albheds in ffx, my cousine jus happens to be half Albhed and in school shes constantly teased all thanks to ffx, grrr she says ,you know alot too.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Great, now you've done it Will. People are actually going to believe that there's an group of people called "Al Bhed." [/B][/QUOTE]

;) and my cousines swirly eyes make people think that shes about to build some machina and destroy everyone..
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
and while they're at fixing sum of hte african american characters, they should throw in some asian character's as well! there are no asian characters (that i know of) some of u might say that rinoa looks a bit asian, but look at her last name: heartily. i dun think that i've heard of an asian with that kind of a last name. sigh* o well... life isn't fair.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Yuffy(sp?) from Final Fantasy VII seemed Asian....
. [/B][/QUOTE]

eh.. true, she WAS from wutai and all... but that was ONE out of 10 final fantasys... sigh* o well. hehe. i'm proud of yuffie! hahahahahahah!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...