OtakuBoards

Manga vs Anime translation time

rotlung

Ok I've just recently started reading manga. I was wondering how long it takes to translate Mangas conpared to Anime.

From what i understand it takes less than a week for anime to be translated and subbed. Manga on the other hand I have no idea. I know there is more time put into manga due to typesetting and other stuff.

[SIZE=1]Depending on the team, anywhere from a day to three days in my experience for the SJ mains. Spoiler texts come out Tuesday, HQ scans the next day, then translating and finally "type-setting and other stuff". I've seen some teams have them out Thursday afternoon, others some time during the night ready for Friday morning. (I'm working off GMT so obviously adjust to your own timezone)[/SIZE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Just throwing it out there, but anime can have just as much typesetting as manga, if not more so. [Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I am looking directly at you...]

But yeah, it really depends on who is translating it. You have your efficient types that'll get it done in a day or so, or the ones that slack off just to tick off the fans. But that's for fansubs, although I guess the same could apply to scantalators.

I can't really go into more detail, though, since I've not followed a manga online in a long time, and I stopped watching most subs a year or so ago as well.[/SIZE][/FONT]

ok I'm just curious cause I notice how fast anime seem to come out vs manga which I've only just starting following (the only one i'm even caught up with is One Piece) and haven't seen them post a new one in over a week.

It might be that the actually manga takes more time to draw than the anime (due to the fact that the artist/ writer has to think up storylines etc vs copy a storyboard and add a little bit) But like I said i don't know anything about translating or animating.

[quote name='rotlung']It might be that the actually manga takes more time to draw than the anime (due to the fact that the artist/ writer has to think up storylines etc vs copy a storyboard and add a little bit) But like I said i don't know anything about translating or animating.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Manga is drawn and inked weekly by one or two artists and a handful of apprentices to help out. Every once in a while it'll get too hectic and the author will take a break for the week, but that's about the only exception barring illness or death. Anime, in contrast, needs to be animated, which usually translates to an entire studio full of professionals working around the clock. Depending on how fluid the animation is and how detailed the artwork is, it could easily take several hours of drawing to create several seconds of movement.

There's also voicework, soundtrack composing, editing all this material together and a bunch of other stuff just to produce 22 minutes of children's entertainment. This is before the subbers even get their hands on it, and though they work fast, there's usually at least 2 chapters' worth of material in the average anime episode, so twice as much dialogue to translate and you have to be good with video editing.

Manga features an average of about 20-30 pages a week and can basically be rewritten within an hour if you have MS Paint and knowledge of its most basic functions. Of course, most scanlators take more pride in their work than that, so they'll use a higher-end photo editing program and try to clean up the page as best as they can. Sometimes, the delay in scanlations is simply because the group is waiting for better quality images to use.

And most mangaka will at least have a general idea of where they want to go with their series before starting, so the plot will come as it occurs to them. Honestly, if you're professionally publishing a work that you have no idea how to end, you should probably figure that out before you end up with a mess of overpowered mains with no room to improve because they can pretty much just nuke anything that moves. Lookin' at you, Tite Kubo.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]In terms of fansubbing and scanlation, it mostly depends on how fast you can get your source to work from, how many people you've got to work simultaneously on different tasks, and how well their schedules line up with when the source is available. And then there are some series that just take way more work than most others, like Zetsubou Sensei as Gome mentioned. So how long it takes to actually release stuff can vary wildly depending on the group and series.

I can't say for sure which takes more time, since I've never been involved in translating manga, but I doubt it takes longer to scanlate a chapter of manga than it does to fansub an episode of anime. Manga requires more typesetting than most anime, sure, but manga doesn't require video encoding or subtitle timing.[/color]

Hello friends
I definitely hated Naruto more in the anime than what I read of the manga. One reason I dislike watching animes (especially for long series) is because they always throw the story in a new direction, and it?s the mangaka?s story?not theirs. It always winds up weird.
As for anime adaptation?s getting messed up?the one that sticks out to me the most was Yozakura Quartet. The manga is one of my favorites and probably will be for a long time, but the anime was terrible.