OtakuBoards

Cosplaying with glasses?

HopefulOTaKu

what are your opinions on people who cosplay, but have to wear glasses? ...okay how do I put this, I mean when someone cosplays but they wear glasses, so they have to wear glasses in the cosplay (when the character does not call for it)
do you hate it? not care? or does it annoy you?
I was just wondering really because I do want to cosplay (whether I will or not is debatable and depends on money I dont have at the moment) but my vision really sucks so I have to wear glasses (new contacts and convention dont scream a match to me xD)

[quote name='HopefulOTaKu']what are your opinions on people who cosplay, but have to wear glasses? ...okay how do I put this, I mean when someone cosplays but they wear glasses, so they have to wear glasses in the cosplay (when the character does not call for it)
I was just wondering really because I do want to cosplay (whether I will or not is debatable and depends on money I dont have at the moment) but my vision really sucks so I have to wear glasses (new contacts and convention dont scream a match to me xD)[/QUOTE]I doubt anyone really minds. You might get some good-natured ribbing ("I thought you had perfect vision, Naruto! What happened?"), but I don't think anyone would begrudge you the ability to see. =]

If it does bother you, there are some characters that do wear glasses (or masks), and you could always take that route. Or carry around a book and go as scholarly, alternate universe version of your character.

i have an astigmatism and nearsightedness giving me glasses thick enough to block bullets.... but i could still take them off for a day and see enough to get by, why not just look the part and take out your specks when you really need to see perfectly.

[quote name='Sara']I doubt anyone really minds. You might get some good-natured ribbing ("I thought you had perfect vision, Naruto! What happened?"), but I don't think anyone would begrudge you the ability to see. =]

If it does bother you, there are some characters that do wear glasses (or masks), and you could always take that route. Or carry around a book and go as scholarly, alternate universe version of your character.[/quote]

LOL that's a good idea, I'll definitely consider that and thanks, your comment made me laugh :animesmil

[quote name='CaNz']i have an astigmatism and nearsightedness giving me glasses thick enough to block bullets.... but i could still take them off for a day and see enough to get by, why not just look the part and take out your specks when you really need to see perfectly.[/quote]

cuz I might lose them, plus I want to SEE all of the con (without running into walls lol)

i have horrid vision, but i could still see things (though very blurry) without glasses... but i might just be too self conscious about those things. I hate wearing glasses... and i have hugely expensive contacts so i don't have to wear them.

[size=1]I personally wear glasses myself, and I can't touch my eyes so contacts are out of the question. But if I plan to dress as Link for my friend's con this Fall (it'd be my first time cosplaying, mind you), I'll remove the glasses. This can lead to an assortment of points...

Pros: I look more like Link and I also think I look better without glasses.

Cons: I can't see the chicks checking me out.

Neutrals: I probably shouldn't want a girl checking me out when I'm decked out as a Nintendo character anyway.

That's my stand on it.[/size]

well... i dont believe in the [SIZE=1]Neutrals, since any girl who likes zelda is A-okay in my book... but you missed out on a pro, not wearing glasses gives you an excuse to get closer! and it makes a great pun when you leave... "See ya later?"[/SIZE]

LOL nice xD
my bro got contacts and he cant wear them (something about how they hurt and stuff) so that drove me away from them a bit, but we'll see. I would rather be a more accurate cosplayer, but I wouldnt risk going without anything (cuz I would literally, RUN INTO WALLS) actually sometimes I run into walls anyway. I ran into a pole in target cuz I was playing my DS and not paying any attention xD

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]This is kinda like a "how hardcore are you for cosplay" sort of question. I don't wear glasses, so I can't personally attest on the difficulty of wearing them versus not wearing them and how much you can see, but to me, cosplay is meant to be fun, not srs bzns. I always go for comfort over sacrifice, so if you feel you can pull off the costume without wearing glasses, go for it. If not, then don't.

I basically echo what Sara said, and only the jerkwads will call you out on it. :P[/COLOR][/SIZE]

...though i am still baffled by getting applauded for a pun, thanks... i guess...
basicly... if your into cosplay... YOU ARE OVER THE TOP! people only do this because they are crazy for their favorite show... so if your gonna cosplay ask yourself... is taking off your glasses really that much more of a streach... i mean you spent months making the costume already...

and off topic, contacts dont hurt unless your doing it very very wrong... i wear them every day and i take them out and put them in just fine. The people at the eye center will show you how to do it too. now if your scared of touching your eye... thats the problem, but even touching your eye doesnt hurt... i do it without my contacts just to gross people out... or rub eye jelly on my sisters boyfriend...

[quote name='CaNz']...though i am still baffled by getting applauded for a pun, thanks... i guess...
basicly... if your into cosplay... YOU ARE OVER THE TOP! people only do this because they are crazy for their favorite show... so if your gonna cosplay ask yourself... is taking off your glasses really that much more of a streach... i mean you spent months making the costume already...

and off topic, contacts dont hurt unless your doing it very very wrong... i wear them every day and i take them out and put them in just fine. The people at the eye center will show you how to do it too. now if your scared of touching your eye... thats the problem, but even touching your eye doesnt hurt... i do it without my contacts just to gross people out... or rub eye jelly on my sisters boyfriend...[/quote]

ewww! well, some people have dryer eyes than others. I might get some, well see what happens. I probably wont be making my cosplay because I have no craft skills, but my mom can sew so she might help me out..
I was more worried about the glasses thing because I have read stories from different people online reviewing cosplays and totally beating on them for small things like that, having not con experience myself i assumed that most people were like that. I dont think its crazy or over the top... unless you start to believe you ARE the character, but thats a different subject.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='HopefulOTaKu']what are your opinions on people who cosplay, but have to wear glasses? ...okay how do I put this, I mean when someone cosplays but they wear glasses, so they have to wear glasses in the cosplay (when the character does not call for it)
I was just wondering really because I do want to cosplay (whether I will or not is debatable and depends on money I dont have at the moment) but my vision really sucks so I have to wear glasses (new contacts and convention dont scream a match to me xD)[/quote]

[FONT=Century Gothic]Uhm... ok if they're really necessary then it doesn't matter, but you should take them off for contests, photos and that stuff cause some people care about this details ^^ [/FONT]