OtakuBoards

Gantz

pbfrontmanvdp

I'm pretty surprised no one has written a review about Gantz so far.

Anyway though, this anime is so far becoming one of my favorite animes. Its unique since the first episode focuses more on the actions and voices on other peoples minds compared to the focus being on the main character(s). The atmosphere is similar to modern teenagers (how we cope with someone being in trouble and how in some cases when people are in need of help not everyone is up to doing the task). Eventually it gets into the game aspect of the anime [spoiler] where random people who die are stuck in limbo (or at least thats what i get from it so far) and have to (I think) beat a game system that the orginal creators could not [/spoiler]. As of right now I've seen up to episode 8 and I can't wait for the next DVD to come out in May. This anime is also very violent (up there with Elfen Lied) and has segments of nudity so if your not a fan of that i wouldn't recommend seeing it. Other than that its been pretty good. Until the whole series is complete (which wont be for a while) I won't write a full review but this is what I have thought of it up till now.

Almost forgot the opening song is amazing in this I can't get it out of my head sometimes.

I've seen it, but never considered writing a review about it. I personally didin't care for it. Not that I didn't think it was interesting, only that it's not the type of anime I find fun to watch. It was very interesting how at first you were following peoples thoughts in regards to what was going on, and perhaps that is what turned me off so quickly on the series. I mean other than one character practically everyone was [spoiler]self-centered and mean, Or so it seemed to me. And the guy who attempts to rape the woman and only one person tries to stop him. It may be realistic but I don't care for that in shows.[/spoiler] Anyway, please don't take my comments personally, okay? :animeswea

• 3 months later...
[QUOTE]As of right now I've seen up to episode 8 and I can't wait for the next DVD to come out in May[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]That's the main reason I stopped watching Gantz. ADV is only putting 2 episodes per DVD. Reasons on why it's inconvient:

[list]
[*]Complete waste of the DVD's capacity
[*]Switching DVD's in & out of the player is a hassle
[*]Takes up space
[/list][/COLOR]

:cussing:

I recently read the first 208 chapters of the GANTZ manga (in three days x_X) and I was blown away by its originality. I have heard only bad things about the anime so I never got around to watching it but the manga seems pretty complete.

Probably the most interesting aspect of the manga is how the characters have undergone *realistic* changes in such a short period of time. There are times when it seems like I can really feel what the characters themselves are feeling.

While there are some explicit sex scenes which I think the manga could have done without for the most part the manga is really addicting. Who would have thought that you could combine the afterlife, alien dnosaurs, and vampires all into one manga and make it all work?

[quote name='Otaku America][COLOR=DarkGreen']That's the main reason I stopped watching Gantz. ADV is only putting 2 episodes per DVD.[/color][/quote]Due to excessive fan complaints, ADV has decided to bump up the episode count for later volumes of the series (of course, this also means that they're bumping up the price). So if you liked Gantz, you might want to start it up again eventually. Personally, I'm waiting for them to box-set-ify it.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Otaku America][color=darkgreen']That's the main reason I stopped watching Gantz. ADV is only putting 2 episodes per DVD. Reasons on why it's inconvient[/color][/quote]True it may be a complete waste of the DVD capacity, however I don't believe that has much to do with the content of the anime itself. For it only having 2 episodes per DVD, I get them for about $12.99 a pop so thats fairly reasonable. Most anime DVD's that I have purchased are between 3 & 4 episodes (sometimes 5 depending on how long the series is) priced at on average about $24 (ranging from as low as $19.99 to $29.99). The price is at least reasonable so I don't consider that a downside.

The 2 episodes per disc. making there be a total of 12 DVD's in all my be inconvient, but it only takes 30 secs. to change from one disc. to another. Therefore, I don't see a downside to this aspect of the show either.

However, the one downside I do not like goes along with the whole 2 episodes per DVD. Having to wait another month for another DVD to come out and having to wait around a year to watch the whole anime when for most 26 episode series only take about 5 to 6 months is annoying. However, none of these really go along with the content of the series and therefore wouldn't stop me from purchasing it since I find it to be a rather great series so far.

Oh and about what [b]Dagger [/b]said since I just saw your post right after I posted this one, I should have probably done the same and waited for the box set to come out. I didn't really want to wait for the box set to come out since when i bought the anime my roommates really liked it and this anime sort of got them into considering purchasing other anime series. I agree with Dagger that waiting for the entire series to come out and purchase it all at once is your best bet.

[QUOTE=pbfrontmanvdp]True it may be a complete waste of the DVD capacity, however I don't believe that has much to do with the content of the anime itself. For it only having 2 episodes per DVD, I get them for about $12.99 a pop so thats fairly reasonable. Most anime DVD's that I have purchased are between 3 & 4 episodes (sometimes 5 depending on how long the series is) priced at on average about $24 (ranging from as low as $19.99 to $29.99). The price is at least reasonable so I don't consider that a downside.

The 2 episodes per disc. making there be a total of 12 DVD's in all my be inconvient, but it only takes 30 secs. to change from one disc. to another. Therefore, I don't see a downside to this aspect of the show either.

However, the one downside I do not like goes along with the whole 2 episodes per DVD. Having to wait another month for another DVD to come out and having to wait around a year to watch the whole anime when for most 26 episode series only take about 5 to 6 months is annoying. However, none of these really go along with the content of the series and therefore wouldn't stop me from purchasing it since I find it to be a rather great series so far.

Oh and about what [b]Dagger [/b]said since I just saw your post right after I posted this one, I should have probably done the same and waited for the box set to come out. I didn't really want to wait for the box set to come out since when i bought the anime my roommates really liked it and this anime sort of got them into considering purchasing other anime series. I agree with Dagger that waiting for the entire series to come out and purchase it all at once is your best bet.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]The only reason they're $12.99 a dvd is because you get half the capacity of what a dvd is capable of holding. If the dvd's contained 4 episodes it would be around $24 depending on where you buy it. The inconvient part is that these 2 dvd sets come in regular dvd sizes. ADV should at least created a thinpak conversion for Gantz to save us some space.

Yes, unless you have a 6-dvd disc changer it's inconvient to have to remove the anime disc from the dvd player, put it back into the dvd case, open the next dvd case, put it in the player, wash & repeat. I watch anime subbed then dubbed + extras, and upon my third viewing I analyze it. Which explains why the 2-dvd setup is inconvient to me or maybe I'm just lazy.

I do hope ADV releases a Gantz complete collection in thinpak form like they have done with Rahxephon & Full Metal Panic.[/COLOR] :sleep:

• 8 months later...
[QUOTE=Otaku America][COLOR=DarkRed
I do hope ADV releases a Gantz complete collection in thinpak form like they have done with Rahxephon & Full Metal Panic.[/COLOR] :sleep:[/QUOTE]

Your in luck the first 13 episodes were released on DVD in thinpack for only $50-$60.

I picked up the series and loved it. Its an all out gore fest. Not for the squemish. And once you reach DVD 7 you will know what strong sexual content means. The series makes all the chacters feel like real people. They all have personality and all feel human. My only problem is that it can be a little slow paced at times. Other than that I would recomend Gantz to anyone with a strong stomach. If you like strong, life like chacters and an engaging plot. Defintley pick it up.

• 3 years later...
WTF happened in the last episode of the Gantz Anime, no happy ending or nothing? [spoiler]Did Kay live?[/spoiler]

I need a good description of what the final resolution was.

Is the Manga worth a read?

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"][B]Zapcannon[/B], I have merged your thread with the official Gantz thread, and added spoiler tags to hide possible spoilers. If you're unsure if an anime you wish to discuss has a thread, check the [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208"][U]Anime Central Thread Directory[/U][/URL] in the future. ^^ [B]~Sangome[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Kenshin DX']Your in luck the first 13 episodes were released on DVD in thinpack for only $50-$60.

I picked up the series and loved it. Its an all out gore fest. Not for the squemish. And once you reach DVD 7 you will know what strong sexual content means. The series makes all the chacters feel like real people. They all have personality and all feel human. My only problem is that it can be a little slow paced at times. Other than that I would recomend Gantz to anyone with a strong stomach. If you like strong, life like chacters and an engaging plot. Defintley pick it up.[/quote]

Slow-paced? Gantz was one of the most fast paced animes I've ever seen. only thing they do that is slow is the main characters never really started fighting until halfway through the series.