OtakuBoards

God of War 3

Magus

[img]http://www.1up.com/media/03/7/9/7/lg/379.jpg[/img]

[quote=estarland]Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War III for the last time puts Kratos at the center of the carnage and destruction as he seeks revenge against the Gods who have betrayed him. A single-player game, this final chapter allows players to take on the climatic role of the ex-Spartan warrior, Kratos, as he treads through the intimidating heights of Mt. Olympus and the dark depths of Hell once more to seek revenge on those who have betrayed him. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology's darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest to destroy Olympus.

Utilizing a new game engine built from the ground up and state-of-the-art visual technologies, the development team behind God of War 3 have made significant strides in giving players the realistic feel of actually being on the battlegrounds. With texture resolutions being quadrupled since God of War 2, God of War 3 will feature fluid, life-like characters, as well as dynamic lighting effects, a robust weapon system, and world-changing scenarios that will truly bring unmistakable realism to Kratos' fateful quest. Players will have a chance to join battles on a grand scale with many more enemies on-screen and be able to interact with levels like never before. [/quote]

[size=1][color=green]IGN - 9.3/10
Gamespot - 9.0/10
1up - A
X-Play - 5/5
Gametrailers - 9.2/10

I'm not the biggest fan of the God of War games, but I do enjoy the gameplay. (Not as much as I like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry) I've yet to play this game, but from what I've seen through video reviews I might not play it either. Don't get me wrong, the game looks great, but the brutal killing might even be too much for me to handle. Anytime games start [spoiler]showing spilled guts and whatever ligament that's attached to the eye all wiggly and whatnot[/spoiler] it becomes too much for me. Seriously, when I was watching, I think it was either Gametrailers or Gamespots video review, they showed that stuff and it felt like my stomach was about to turn.

But yeah, I'm curious to hear about other peoples thoughts on the game.[/size][/color]

i know what you mean... its becoming more and more of a trend now, games seem to be getting on par with indie horror films. i remember when mortal combat was the most violent game around, and you had to type in the secret code to even see it. however I find myself playing games like gears of war and enjoying the ability to chainsaw someone in half or smash their heads with my foot. and i still remember the mortal combat code for the Genesis (ABACABB)
I think most guys are naturally drawn to violent things, and games like god of war are just business. they are just making a game that appeals to a certain audience, and it is quite a success.

• 4 weeks later...
[font=franklin gothic medium]I just bought God of War III, after having never played the first two. It was kind of an impulse buy actually and when I got it, I kept the EB Games receipt because I wasn't sure if I'd want to return it or not.

After getting a few hours in, I'm really glad I didn't return it. At first, the gratuitous violence is almost off-putting, but not because I'm offended by it - rather, it gives the game a very one-dimensional feel at the start.

It takes time to begin to appreciate the gameplay system a bit more, I think. Unlocking new moves and weapons/tools is really what gives the game the slight variety it needs. Puzzles are well-placed and not too numerous, but also not too light. They feel very balanced.

The visuals are incredible and it's actually really good to see places like the Underworld rendered in such glory - especially if you're familiar with Greek mythology (and even moreso if you're familiar with Paradise Lost).

Admittedly I'm coming in late because I never played the first two games, but I feel like this is probably the best in the series anyway.[/font]

Sounds absolutely amazing. I think its a little tougher than the first two but not insanely difficult or anything like some games, to me it seems like you just have more enemies at once and less time to react in certain fights, I havent gotten far into yet but from what I've played so far thats my impression very minor spoiler. Its like they made a fast paced game even faster. I enjoy this game what I have played yet, I am blown away game of the year, GOW 3 is insane!