OtakuBoards

Tutorial: Lineart with the Pen Tool

Katana

[size=1][color=royalblue]Before my current tablet, I hated doing lineart because I could never get it to be nice and smooth and, well, consistent. Even now, with Astrid [sub]my tablet, stgo[/sub], I still notice my lineart can be a bit bumpy, which is annoying. Heck, what if you don't have a tablet? Sure, it's possible to use the mouse with the brush, but that's pretty hardcore.

I made this tutorial over two years ago, so of course the drawing I used is a bit laughable, but hey, it serves its purpose.

[url="http://kataoi.deviantart.com/art/Lineart-with-Pen-Tool-Tutorial-73814579"]Can be found on my deviantArt account, which is what it was made for.[/url] That's why it's those green-grey colors. :B

Any questions, please don't be afraid to ask! :D

[img]http://randomthunk.net/LineartTut.jpg[/img][/color][/size] Edited by Katana

I don't know why I thought that was you that did the coloring tutorial... I'm up here thinking it was just going to be you doing these tutorials lol.

Thanks for this. I look forward to seeing more tutorials.

• 1 month later...
[color=#35425e]Just for the sheer length of this tutorial, I think a standing ovation is in order! Good job, Katana!

One question: Katana, do you plot them points first before you round out the corners? Because for me, it's easier to just drag the leading arm while plotting each point to make a curve. But maybe this is easier. Or maybe it's because I use a mouse? [/color]

It's a great tutorial, but I don't know about the method itself... It looks very time consuming, and it seems to be quite hard to get a varying thickness to a single line with this method. It makesthe lineart look very clean, I admit that.

I think I'll stick to pens, anyway. ;)